Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

6 Sequels? loving hell. I can never quite understand the optimism behind decisions like that. I mean, how many movie series even have 7 entries? And of that, how many have any prestige and respect left after the, I don't know, 4th movie?

Antoine Fuqua's King Arthur is a funny one with regards to franchising. It's marketed like the set up to a new franchise, but has no sequel hook and half the knights are dead by the end. Man, that's a weird movie.
One of the best things about The Legend of Tarzan is that it doesn't do a franchise push at all. There could be sequels but at no point are they ever explicitly pushed, and the movie wraps up well and feels complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Casimir Radon posted:

He was good in Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak.

Counterpoint: he absolutely was not.

I didn't much care for Crimson Peak but at least the three other leads were giving it their all.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

poo poo, I hadn't seen that clip before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLA8NpMpDHk

That is a weeeeird Scottish accent

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be French.

got any sevens posted:

Rip guy richie :(

Don't worry, he's directing Disney's Aladdin remake. Plus he wants to direct a Suicide Squad movie. Both of those are guaranteed to make money.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
A Guy Ritchie Suicide Squad? :allears:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

wyoming posted:

A Guy Ritchie Suicide Squad? :allears:

I'll enjoy a bunch of supervillains performing a small time caper which turns out to be connected to a large time caper.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Casimir Radon posted:

He was good in Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak. This last movie's failure isn't his fault. Worthington is bland and got cast in a bunch of bad movies.
Worthington does not seem to get the same level of work he did like 5 years ago, but I guess if nothing else he will get some of that Avatar money if those sequels ever come out

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LesterGroans posted:

Counterpoint: he absolutely was not.

I didn't much care for Crimson Peak but at least the three other leads were giving it their all.

Yeah, he definitely was not good in Pacific Rim (I haven't seen Crimson Peak yet), but he was actually amazing in Lost City of Z. He is like, actually legitimately good in it, I couldn't believe it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His voice is so funny in that one. "Mahhhckoh. We gotta get to the rift MAHHHKCCOOOOHH"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

He's solid in King Arthur. Not as good as the character actors around him (I really enjoyed Neil Maskell (Jay from Kill List) in particular), but still pretty good. He's definitely better when the character is in his street hustler mode, where he's given more to do, than trying to sell the sword and sorcery stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

King Arthur made $14 mil domestic this weekend on a $175 mil budget (I think that is not counting marketing).
I wasn't even aware there was a new King Arthur movie out until yesterday, so that sounds about right.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a new King Arthur movie out until yesterday, so that sounds about right.
For some reason the trailer was attached to Rogue One when I saw that last December

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Worthington does not seem to get the same level of work he did like 5 years ago, but I guess if nothing else he will get some of that Avatar money if those sequels ever come out

Did he switch agents or is he difficult to work with or something? The dude was EVERYWHERE for a few years and got to be the main character in a Terminator movie, Avatar which did mega $$$, and star in the Clash of the Titans remake, and much less of a big deal but he was even voicing a recurring character in the Call of Duty games all in rapid succession.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neo Rasa posted:

Did he switch agents or is he difficult to work with or something? The dude was EVERYWHERE for a few years and got to be the main character in a Terminator movie, Avatar which did mega $$$, and star in the Clash of the Titans remake, and much less of a big deal but he was even voicing a recurring character in the Call of Duty games all in rapid succession.

And no one said anything nice about his acting in any of those movies. Producers aren't, like, brilliant or anything, but they're smart enough to realize he had nothing to do with Avatar's success and the other things mentioned weren't really successes.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Skwirl posted:

And no one said anything nice about his acting in any of those movies. Producers aren't, like, brilliant or anything, but they're smart enough to realize he had nothing to do with Avatar's success and the other things mentioned weren't really successes.

He also hasn't been in any bona fide hits since Clash of the Titans.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I personally liled Hunnam in Pacific Rim. Del Toro wanted a guy who came across as a damaged but earnest and all around good sort of guy and I think it worked out.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was in Sabotage and tries his hand at playing some over the top beardy tattooed soldier type guy. The whole thing was awful so his contribution barely registered.

The Guy Ritchie take on King Arthur probably could have worked out but they buried under far too much fantasy bullshit. The first 10 minutes were absolutely a rip off of the Battle of Pelennor Fields from The Return of the King complete with monstrous towering elephants. I think a demythogized telling of the story would have worked better but audiences might have liked that even less. Last I checked people weren't very happy with Dwayne Johnson's Hercules.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I would say Guy Ritchie's never getting any work again after having Man from UNCLE and King Arthur bomb twice in a row, but he's also slated to make Aladdin (2019), a guaranteed cash cow, so I'm sure he'll be fine.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hercules was only bad because Brett Ratner is a poo poo director. The same script with a good director probably would have made a fun campy movie. The Rock and Ian McShane are great in it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Hercules was only bad because Brett Ratner is a poo poo director. The same script with a good director probably would have made a fun campy movie. The Rock and Ian McShane are great in it.
A better director might have elevated the material a bit. I'm still happy with what we ended up with, which was pretty entertaining. Its main legacy has been that Johnson has been loving huge for a good while now qfter bulking up for that role.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like Hunnam, better than Worthington, Alexander Skarsgard and Jai Courtney but they're all sorta bland except Charlie's getting there and some traction going.

I also liked King Arthur and am sad it didn't do well but kind of happy it's not a franchise. Guy will probably make one more Sherlock Holmes to appease Hollywood and ask for a favor from Downey so hopefully he will be fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Skwirl posted:

People say this but Jai Courtney still gets work.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

I personally liled Hunnam in Pacific Rim. Del Toro wanted a guy who came across as a damaged but earnest and all around good sort of guy and I think it worked out.

He was in Sabotage and tries his hand at playing some over the top beardy tattooed soldier type guy. The whole thing was awful so his contribution barely registered.

The Guy Ritchie take on King Arthur probably could have worked out but they buried under far too much fantasy bullshit. The first 10 minutes were absolutely a rip off of the Battle of Pelennor Fields from The Return of the King complete with monstrous towering elephants. I think a demythogized telling of the story would have worked better but audiences might have liked that even less. Last I checked people weren't very happy with Dwayne Johnson's Hercules.

Dude, Hercules had horrible production polish and values. "gently caress Centaurs." and so much poo poo outside of Ian McShane.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gatts posted:

Dude, Hercules had horrible production polish and values. "gently caress Centaurs." and so much poo poo outside of Ian McShane.
I thought it was enjoyable enough, even if it wasn't great. I was going to argue that my enjoyment was based on it being sandwiched in between a bunch of lovely movies but then I checked and realized that a lot if great movies came out around the same time. I dunno why I kind of like it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought it was enjoyable enough, even if it wasn't great. I was going to argue that my enjoyment was based on it being sandwiched in between a bunch of lovely movies but then I checked and realized that a lot if great movies came out around the same time. I dunno why I kind of like it.

No judgement here. For whatever reason, I put on the 2007 Hitman movie to calm down. I have no expanation for that.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Gatts posted:

I was actually surprised to find myself enjoying Hercules as I watched it. I grudgingly went to see it with a friend who's a huge Rock fan. I was completely won over at the end of it, and it remains one of the only Dwayne Johnson roles that I actually liked I've seen him in The Mummy, The Rundown, Walking Tall, and that's pretty much it

But Ian McShane elevates every scene he's in for sure. Especially when he's about to die by a flaming spear as prophesied and it doesn't happen and he's so put out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

No judgement here. For whatever reason, I put on the 2007 Hitman movie to calm down. I have no expanation for that.
I thought the 2015 Hitman reboot was bashed on way too hard by critics. It wasn't any dumber than most of the comic book movies that come out but because it's a video game movie it gets 8% on RT. BVS and Suicide Squad which I both hated at least got up into the 20s, and left me feeling like I'd wasted money. Also I was amused by how much Rupert Friend looks like a gun-toting Moby.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

got any sevens posted:

Rip guy richie :(

More like Guy Poor-ie.

Jesus Christ.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought the 2015 Hitman reboot was bashed on way too hard by critics. It wasn't any dumber than most of the comic book movies that come out but because it's a video game movie it gets 8% on RT. BVS and Suicide Squad which I both hated at least got up into the 20s, and left me feeling like I'd wasted money. Also I was amused by how much Rupert Friend looks like a gun-toting Moby.

It had an interesting idea for the action scenes, to film them as abstract sequences, but didn't follow through.

And also, yes, Rupert Friend is an odd looking dude with a serial killer name.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

6 Sequels? loving hell. I can never quite understand the optimism behind decisions like that. I mean, how many movie series even have 7 entries?

There's been hundreds!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_series_with_seven_entries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_series_with_eight_entries
etc ..

Snowman_McK posted:

And of that, how many have any prestige and respect left after the, I don't know, 4th movie?

None of them that I can think of. Pretty much all of them have had highs and lows with franchises like Rocky and Star Wars dying off but coming back strong with new entries recently. I'm guessing some of the franchises in the first half of the 20th century had fairly stable levels of quality but good luck finding someone familiar enough with series like Torchy Blaine or Joe Palooka or Philo Vance to ask about them.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i haven't watched most of the transformers movies, why did they make optimus prime a bad guy in them?

Optimus Prime is America. He was borderline before, but now he's truly lost.

My favourite thing about Transformers is how Hugo Weaving does not give a poo poo about it:

quote:

Director Michael Bay talks to me on the phone. I've never met him. We were doing the voice for the second one and I still hadn't seen the first one. I still didn't really know who the characters were and I didn't know what anything was. It's a voice job, for sure, and people assume I've spent my life working on it, but I really know so little about it.

Guy has been in pretty much every nerd franchise but can't be hosed to watch these movies.

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 15, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

well why not posted:

My favourite thing about Transformers is how Hugo Weaving does not give a poo poo about it:

Guy has been in pretty much every nerd franchise but can't be hosed to watch these movies.

Owns. But he still needs to be in Star Wars. He would have been ideal for the Jedi council.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Owns. But he still needs to be in Star Wars. He would have been ideal for the Jedi council.

True, but he'd be a great fit for basically any role in SW. Imperial Officer in particular. Wanna see that big kiwi head in a tiny lil hat

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 15, 2017

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

Was there ever anything in those leaked Sony emails that showed producers saying things like "Make sure the lead is white. People won't go see movies about any brownies or chinks."? It seems like notes like that would be fairly common.
Why would they pass around emails telling each other what they already know? We don't live in an Aaron Sorkin script.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i haven't watched most of the transformers movies, why did they make optimus prime a bad guy in them?
Optimus Prime is a better Captain America than Captain America.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Captain America is the country as it sees itself, Optimus is how everyone else see's the country.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TetsuoTW posted:

Why would they pass around emails telling each other what they already know? We don't live in an Aaron Sorkin script.

On the other hand one of the leaked emails was explaining how superhero movies starring women always flopped

http://time.com/3847432/marvel-ceo-leaked-email/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's silly that they haven't tried to make a Black Widow film yet. GiTS and Lucy both worked fine with far-less known franchise power behind them. Marvel films are literally one of the top properties at the moment and SJ is a fairly bankable star. There's no way it wouldn't make some money and please a lot of their core audience.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Fei-hung_filmography

"This is a list of films featuring the Chinese folk hero, Wong Fei-hung there are 119 in total." Star Wars has a long way to go.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Snowman_McK posted:

Antoine Fuqua's King Arthur is a funny one with regards to franchising. It's marketed like the set up to a new franchise, but has no sequel hook and half the knights are dead by the end. Man, that's a weird movie.
After the Horatio Hornblower tv movies, I really wanted Ioan Gruffudd to be a thing but every time he's been in a movie (that wasn't Horrible Bosses) he's just been a charismaless black hole so casting him as Lancelot was probably not the smartest move. But then basically nobody in that film came off as particularly interesting; Clive Owen in particular seemed bored the entire time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

well why not posted:

It's silly that they haven't tried to make a Black Widow film yet. GiTS and Lucy both worked fine with far-less known franchise power behind them.

Lucy made a ton of money but GiTS only made $40m domestic and was a horrible gently caress up

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll enjoy a bunch of supervillains performing a small time caper which turns out to be connected to a large time caper.

Just have an entire film about that one episode of the cartoon where they break into the league's space station. It would work perfectly. :colbert:

Sir Kodiak posted:

He's solid in King Arthur. Not as good as the character actors around him (I really enjoyed Neil Maskell (Jay from Kill List) in particular), but still pretty good. He's definitely better when the character is in his street hustler mode, where he's given more to do, than trying to sell the sword and sorcery stuff.

I don't know if it's the CGI during the fights or what, but he always looks really awkward in the fight scenes. The movie probably would have been a bit better if they turned down the fantasy poo poo just a bit. Giant animals out of nowhere, magical teleporting islands and a weird snake venom induced trip just didn't really add a whole lot. Like I'm pretty sure they even showed a lot of that poo poo heavily during the trailer but when you see the movie it makes up less than one percent of the run time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Lucy made a ton of money but GiTS only made $40m domestic and was a horrible gently caress up

Justified because it was an awful film, thoroughly awful. Not bad in an entertaining way, not terrible in an unexpected way, just completely pointless and dull and poorly made. Granted I'm not an anime nerd, i saw about half the 95 original when I was a kid, and the only real draw for me was ScarJo but doesn't change how loving god awful that film was.

Just thinking back to my time in the cinema I am reminded of the uncomfortable, restrictive, choking feeling I had when I looked at my watch and realised only 25 minutes had passed since the trailers ended.

Vile film, pointless and un-redeeming. It's the worst movie I have ever sat through and I saw Pixels.

• Locked thread