Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

insurrection is an alright movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
It's an alright two-parter but a terrible movie.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Watching the first few Star Trek films over a few days makes TMP stand out. It's really a beautiful film, and the special effects just make the others look like cheap garbage.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek is filled with weird sex stuff

still less hosed up than the average proceedural

*dramatic music, security officer holds a PADD up to the camera*

"...about ten gigaquads of Deltan butts."

*cut to commercial*

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

TMP would be a great movie if it weren't for all the dialog and acting.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duckbag posted:

TMP would be a great movie if it weren't for all the dialog and acting.

Actually, lot of the plot is nonsensical, and many of the technical details (i.e. the size of VGER) are dumb and bad. Also the pacing is atrocious.

There is greatness in there, it's just buried by mountains of garbage.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

piratepilates posted:

you should really just relax

Hey now, this isn't just a show we're talking about here!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Hot take: TMP is a worse movie than Final Frontier. TMP may be nicer to look at and less blatantly campy, but I'll take rock climbing with my Trek bros, meeting Spock's weird brother, and killing God over a bunch of miserable milquetoasts finding enlightenment in a giant blue space vagina every time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot Take: The red jacket uniforms are actually cool and badass.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Maroon is an underrated color.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
TMP is bad because of "82 AU." As if the writer had just heard about "AU" and wanted to use it in Star Trek and decided 82 of them was a good enough size for the cloud around V'ger.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

TMP is bad because of "82 AU." As if the writer had just heard about "AU" and wanted to use it in Star Trek and decided 82 of them was a good enough size for the cloud around V'ger.

Should have been 47 AU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't get why "82 AU" is so objectionable, V'Ger is supposed to be mind-bogglingly huge even by the standards of an advanced interstellar civilization.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Because it makes V'Ger larger than the entire solar system. That makes it kind of hard for it to go to Earth. It's as if you wanted to visit a patch on a quilt.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's just the cloud, not the spacecraft itself.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the entire time V'ger is described as incomprehensible even to the 23rd century. Having an energy bubble the size of the solar system is fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are you guys calling V'ger fat?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

LOL at this thread all of a sudden hating the maroon uniforms and praising the TMP ones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maroon uniforms were dope as hell.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rhyno posted:

Are you guys calling V'ger fat?

When V'Ger sits around the system she really sits around the system.

Yo mama so fat she's coalesced into an 82AU mass of energy clouds and stellar matter.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hate the TMP uniforms, but I can't really imagine that movie without them. So much of that movie is completely atypical of (what would become) the standard Trek movie. The slow pace, the psychedelic visuals, the emphasis on totally new crew members, even stuff like the horrific transporter accident and the ultra-70s Starfleet all stand apart from the action movies the franchise would pump out afterward. Those uniforms are hideous, but they fit the film.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The only good TMP uniform is Kirk's admiral uniform. The normal duty uniforms look even more like pajamas than Trek uniforms generally already do.

I dig that little black box thing that people had to wear on their waist for inexplicable reasons though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Motion Picture is terrible. All episodes of Voyager are more watchable. I'm not kidding.

I see what they were going for. It just didn't work at all. Thank god Wrath of Khan saved the future of the movies and probably the rest of the franchise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the hell was Checkov wearing when they stole the Enterprise in III?

And what the hell was that thing Captain Douchenozzle was carrying around on the Excelsior?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

The Motion Picture is terrible. All episodes of Voyager are more watchable. I'm not kidding.

Bullshit. Voyager is criminally boring in the blandest, most inoffensively mid to late 90's ways possible for the vast majority of it's run.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

What the hell was Checkov wearing when they stole the Enterprise in III?

And what the hell was that thing Captain Douchenozzle was carrying around on the Excelsior?

Chekov's pink 23rd century leisure suit is great.

Captain Styles is carrying a swagger stick, because someone that smug and smarmy is undoubtedly the kind of person who apes the good ol' days of military history, where men were men etc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kazinsal posted:

Captain Styles is carrying a swagger stick, because someone that smug and smarmy is undoubtedly the kind of person who apes the good ol' days of military history, where men were men etc.

I'm the futuristic 23rd century nail file.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the entire time V'ger is described as incomprehensible even to the 23rd century. Having an energy bubble the size of the solar system is fine.
Yeah, but the cloud is a bit silly. Like, is it everywhere? Are there people in the shower on Earth thinking "wow, got steamy in here" but it's actually the V'ger cloud peeping under the bathroom door. Did it block out the sun? Does it kill people? Because apparently the Klingons were too chicken to fly into a cloud and just fired torpedoes at it. At a cloud.

If it was much smaller, I could see why the Klingons were shooting at it from outside, since they had a good chance of hitting whatever is inside, no need to venture in. But at 82 AUs, they just look like they're panicking and have no idea what to do.

I don't mind it being enormous as a "wow, advanced" shorthand, but at that size it starts to raise questions that just sorta need to be ignored for the sake of getting on with the story. I guess someone agreed - in the Director's Cut, the line is edited to remove the "eighty" part to become "over 2 AUs in diameter".

Kazinsal posted:

Chekov's pink 23rd century leisure suit is great.
I think I remember hearing that the costume was so hated, Chekov has an inexplicable costume change next time we see him.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just watched the "Tron: Legacy" recut of TMP and I liked it. I haven't seen TMP in almost 25 years, so I feel like I have a fresh set of eyes on it. "Legacy" is good, and worth a watch even if TMP isn't.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Didnt they shrink down the AU to 2 for the directors edition anyway? (I mean thats still half of earths orbit, but yeah). Also the cloud apparently dissipated when the ship got closer to earth

Oh well
In the end, the only reason I even watched that movie is for the visuals and soundtrack
removing the soundtrack for something else ruins it by about 50 %!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DeafNote posted:

Didnt they shrink down the AU to 2 for the directors edition anyway? (I mean thats still half of earths orbit, but yeah)

Err, a diameter of 2 AU's is exactly the size of Earth's orbit...

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Drone posted:

Err, a diameter of 2 AU's is exactly the size of Earth's orbit...

drat
divided by two once too many

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dirty posted:

Yeah, but the cloud is a bit silly. Like, is it everywhere? Are there people in the shower on Earth thinking "wow, got steamy in here" but it's actually the V'ger cloud peeping under the bathroom door. Did it block out the sun? Does it kill people? Because apparently the Klingons were too chicken to fly into a cloud and just fired torpedoes at it. At a cloud.

It vanishes as they approach; presumably V'ger didn't want to harm the Creators. So not a problem.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I once bought a jacket at J. Crew that kind of looks like a better version of the utility jacket in The Motion Picture. The rest of the TMP uniforms are bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

I dig that little black box thing that people had to wear on their waist for inexplicable reasons though.

Those were actually thought out by Jesco von Puttkamer and Robert Fletcher. They were intended to be life support monitors.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Aquiel" (S6E13) is probably among the few episodes outside of the first two seasons that stood out to me as a being rather weak. At least so far. I imagine some people don't like that TNG Babies episode but I think it at least had some silly/fun bits.

Aqueil sort of feels like a retread of Geordi falling for the Star Fleet engineer on the holodeck. I think it sets up some decent intrigue, but has total whiplash in how it handles the reveals, particularly in the final act(s) "Someone is a metamorph, we need to put both suspects into custody" <next scene> "its the dog" <credits play>

It feels like in any other episode they would have had a bit of a debrief of some kind, along with other members of the crew apologizing to Aquiel or something. Also, I have no idea how Geordi's explination for Aquiel's memory loss makes any sense.

e: I need to proofread more.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 15, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Oxyclean posted:

"Aquiel" (S6E13) is probably among the few episodes outside of the first two seasons that stood out to me as a being rather weak. At least so far. I imagine some people don't like that TNG Babies episode but I think it at least had some silly/fun bits.

Aqueil sort of feels like a retread of Georgi falling for the Star Fleet engineer on the holodeck. I think it sets up some decent intrigue, but has total whiplash in how it handles the reveals, particularly in the final act(s) "Someone is a metamorph, we need to put both suspects into custody" <next scene> "its the dog" <credits play>

It feels like in any other episode they would have had a bit of a debrief of some kind, along with other members of the crew apologizing to Aquiel or something. Also, I have no idea how Georgi's explination for Aquiel's memory loss makes any sense.

Aquiel is unsalvageably bad, and iirc also had the highest Nielsen rating of any Trek episode. I'm not gonna say it's the point where the show goes to poo poo because there's a number of really good episodes after it, but it definitely feels to me like one of the first symptoms of the downturn of the writing at the end of the show. Moore says in I think the TNG Companion that they literally decided the murderer should be the dog because all the other characters would have been too obvious. Quite apart from what this reveals about how clumsily the central mystery was written, what that tells me is that at this point in the show's construction they became more worried about being too predictable than they were about making a lovely, stupid episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
His name is Geordi.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cojawfee posted:

His name is Geordi.

Georgi La Forgie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

His name is Geordi.

As I was writing my post I knew something felt off.