Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

DLC Inc posted:

whoever decided to invent the cystoids enemies can eat loving poo poo; dodging and dealing with all those assholes in GUTS is horrifically unfun. also whoever decided to put a loving Technopath PLUS a Telepath in that path back up from when you reboot the system....you motherfucker. Not sure if I have the patience to do many more sidequests after that but I really want to finish the chef one.

Connoisseur posted:

If you're not lugging around a dart gun, throwing a physics object at cystoids also works in a pinch.

This. I had a lot of fun just hurling random objects in zero g and watching the swarm of fireflies chase it and explode. Or hurl a red barrel for twice the fun. The darts ricochet off surfaces too, so sometimes the cystoids would be chasing a dart roughly towards me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So is there a reason to keep the goldengun you get from a safe in crew quarters? Seems like it starts with 2 less damage, is there anything better about it than looks?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Broose posted:

So is there a reason to keep the goldengun you get from a safe in crew quarters? Seems like it starts with 2 less damage, is there anything better about it than looks?

if you forsake the golden gun for the sake of two damage are you even human?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I thought it started with two more damage...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any tips for hacking? It's pretty tough. I'm using a controller if it matters.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SinineSiil posted:

My upgraded Gloo gun disappears when I return to Arboretum from Crew Quarters. Surely that's not supposed to happen?
I don't really want to lose my upgraded gun :(

Whether you mean it's disappearing from your inventory directly or you stashed it in a safe and it's not there anymore, that shouldn't be happening. Probably the easiest gun to replace though, I never got the sense that the upgrades for it were helping out much more than the base gun.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

SinineSiil posted:

My upgraded Gloo gun disappears when I return to Arboretum from Crew Quarters. Surely that's not supposed to happen?
I don't really want to lose my upgraded gun :(
Apparently weapons and/or ammo disappearing between load screens is a known bug.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Motherfucker posted:

if you forsake the golden gun for the sake of two damage are you even human?
I pretty much ignored the golden shotgun (a pre-order bonus?) because by the time I actually got to Morgan's office and found it I'd already performed a couple of upgrades on the standard shotgun.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's probably been mentioned in the thread somewhere, is there any workaround to the bug in the cargo bay where you're supposed to defend a doorway, and it never registers that all the typhon are dead?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

E - that's strange. Is it happening on a reload?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Broose posted:

It does more damage than the normal pistol and is better in every way, it just doesn't come with any upgrades.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I beat the game, clocking in about 22 hours. Is good. Will probably go back for Typhon-only and flesh-and-steel runs later.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

RatHat posted:

Any tips for hacking? It's pretty tough. I'm using a controller if it matters.

Some of the level 1 + 2 hacking grids are impossible unless you have perfect control over the pinball. If you get a bad layout, just wait out the timer and restart. I've never failed a level 3 or 4, though. I think this is since they allocate a fixed 10 seconds per level and a few seconds wasted trying to fit down a narrow passage or getting electrocuted fails a 10/20s level whereas with 30/40 seconds, it's not as noticeable. I frequently complete level 4s with 10s remaining.

One other tricky part is that you're viewing the grids in isometric and what may look like a collision will actually slip just behind / to the right of an obstacle.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

E - that's strange. Is it happening on a reload?

Yeah, I kill everything, and then everybody just stands around looking at the door.
I might reload to about a half hour earlier and see how it goes.

Ugh, closest save before this zone is when I was before I went to deep storage. :(

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 15, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Iron Rose posted:

It does more damage than the normal pistol and is better in every way, it just doesn't come with any upgrades.
Fully upgraded normal pistol does more damage than fully upgraded golden gun though.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Does the story explain how the disaster starts? Did the monsters just happen to break out of their prison while Morgan is going through his tutorial tasks?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kurzon posted:

Does the story explain how the disaster starts? Did the monsters just happen to break out of their prison while Morgan is going through his tutorial tasks?

I haven't beaten the game yet so I don't know if the timing is relevant, but there are hints throughout the game that explain

the mimics have been hanging around in disguise throughout the station for a while.
That's why there's emails saying that people need to stop replicating stupid stuff, or that recycler tests have produced weird substances.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kurzon posted:

Doesn't explain how it started, but the breakout happened some time before, tutorial is when they attacked openly. There are multiple audiologs/emails with people complaining about item duplicates, or items behaving weirdly, so there were mimics throughout the station before the alarm.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

poo poo appears to go down while you're unconscious after the test. Things good together long enough to says reassuring emails and take the corpse to the psychotronics morgue, but by the time you wake up everyone's dead.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

poo poo appears to go down while you're unconscious after the test. Things good together long enough to says reassuring emails and take the corpse to the psychotronics morgue, but by the time you wake up everyone's dead.

A good habit to get into is to contextualize your spoilers so that people know sorta what the spoiler refers to.
Eg.

Good: Right after you enter the technodrome at the end of the game the megatrousers reveal that you were the one who damaged the holy zipper

Bad: I couldn't believe that The forbidden queen is actually your mother!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In the Typhon research labs there's a bunch of containment pods through which you can test out the psycho-scope in relative safety, and one of them is already open and empty when you arrive. I assume that's where the containment breach came from.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Do Weavers not aggro on you if you leave them alone? Having just returned to the Lobby after the first visit to the Arboretum, the one that got close to me in the GUTS didn't even light up an alert signal as it cruised by.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ostentatious posted:

I dont think ive been scared once in this game then again i did play re7 earlier in the year maybe in desensitized to the spooks

I'm probably only 1/3 in but one point I literally went OH gently caress and jumped up, which I almost never do in a video game, was some dead end area in Psychotronics lab with pressing that (non plot or anything related but spoilered anyways) green button that moves around on the screen and gently caress! That got me pretty good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Also I just found out that if I upgrade enough I could actually unmind control. Sorry random guy I killed in the trauma center long ago, I didn't know! :smith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can also taze them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Ah poo poo I didn't even think of that :( that will help me tomorrow during the arboretum where I'm saved and done for the night standing on top of the greenhouse.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I found out about 4 hours after doing the Shuttle Bay quest help the two humans escape. I've read that if you hadn't tagged them previously through the security stations, you'll no longer be able to do that. Welp, there goes my cheevo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well I just watched the sub-8 minute speedrun. Man, the game isn't even two weeks old. What people can do is impressive

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Do the Operator Dispensers eventually replenish their reserves, or are they all limited to just 3 units for the whole game?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This is loving amazing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

Fully upgraded normal pistol does more damage than fully upgraded golden gun though.

I had a fully upgraded normal pistol when I found the golden gun and once I found more weapon upgrade kits the golden pistol was superior in every way. Massively so.

:shrug:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DancingShade posted:

I had a fully upgraded normal pistol when I found the golden gun and once I found more weapon upgrade kits the golden pistol was superior in every way. Massively so.

:shrug:
Hmm, weird. I must have looked at the stats wrong or something but I swear I took the time to compare them. I'll check in my game again today when I get the chance.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yeah, I think maxed out with security buffs the golden gun does 28 or 29 damage, plus better accuracy. It's a straight upgrade.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also it looks baller as hell so you can humiliate your enemies while also sniping them from across the map :whatup:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just finished the game. I loved it, I haven't had this much fun thinking outside the box in a Single Player game in awhile.

Does your actions matter at the Bridge where you decide what to do with the shuttle that's heading to Seattle? I destroyed it but nothing came up at the end about my decision. It seemed like another one of those trolley "Do you push the button to divert the train to save a lot of people but kill few in the process" questions from the beginning. I was hoping for a bigger payoff

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rabid Snake posted:

Does your actions matter at the Bridge where you decide what to do with the shuttle that's heading to Seattle? I destroyed it but nothing came up at the end about my decision. It seemed like another one of those trolley "Do you push the button to divert the train to save a lot of people but kill few in the process" questions from the beginning. I was hoping for a bigger payoff
It doesn't matter. It doesn't even spoil the kill-no-humans achievement if you destroy the shuttle. It's basically another test.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Also regarding the shuttle I feel like destroying it is clearly the right choice, given all the hints across the rest of the station that imply that the Mimics have been out and about for quite a while before they attack.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just thought about a thing - is the ending any different if you trigger the self-destruct mechanism and THEN on top of that turn the nullwave device on?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I messed up the shuttle quest because I explored the shuttle way before I got to the bridge.

Edit:

I'd pay $5 for a New Game+ DLC where you play as Alex. :fatjoke:

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Palpek posted:

I just thought about a thing - is the ending any different if you trigger the self-destruct mechanism and THEN on top of that turn the nullwave device on?

Not possible. Triggering the self destruct fails the other quest and disables the console for activating it. I'd forgotten I had a save at the bridge with both pre-objectives completed.. useful, though.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd pay $5 for a New Game+ DLC where you play as Alex. :fatjoke:

When I first started playing, I thought that whoever I didn't play as would be the director/w/e of the place and Morgan was the woman and Alex was the man and if I chose to play as Alex, I'd see Morgan greet me at the testing chambers. Never been so disappointed...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 15, 2017