Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I saw at Walmart that I can get a brand new Wii U with Super Mario Maker for $150. Should I save up for a Switch instead or go ahead and get a cheap Wii U for some wild breathing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Why not the Wii U has some good games including breath of the wild

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Star Man posted:

I saw at Walmart that I can get a brand new Wii U with Super Mario Maker for $150. Should I save up for a Switch instead or go ahead and get a cheap Wii U for some wild breathing?

I'd go for the Wii U first. There's a great library with a lot of games that probably won't come to Switch and if you hack it, you can do cool stuff like play GC games natively.

Breath of the Wild isn't that much worse on Wii U too and is definitely playable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BoI nerds
JP8V JH6G

The fun begins when you hit Necropolis 2

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
My nephew was playing the PPT demo and really enjoyed the secret "stack everything as fast as you can to lose in seconds" mode. He somehow managed to do a 3 chain in one game, so I guess what I'm saying is if you can't do a 3 chain in puyo puyo you're worse than a 5 year old who isn't trying.

Renoistic posted:

Perhaps they could make the shrines fun and have them give you meaningful rewards? Just a thought. Stamina meters are bad in games where you're required to move long distances at a time. MGSV had unlimited sprint from the start, and unsurprisingly the game was better from it!

If it was only for climbing and gliding I could understand it, but for running and fighting it's really annoying. I know the spin attack is great and all but it should not keep draining while you hold a charge with a 1hander. It makes sense to keep draining with a 2hander because you're a whirlwind of death and destruction.

More shrines with interesting mechanics would be nice. Unless it's golf. Because that golf shrine was terrible.

What about the sailing in Suikoden 4? :shepicide:

Ciaphas posted:

I will say this much about my second attempt at BotW: knowing how to take care of Guardians has eliminated one of my major sources of frustration from last time I tried it.

Shame that Lynels and the golem bastards are still a chore to fight. I can only imagine that the White(>) Lynels are going to be OHKOs against you in hard mode if you aren't sitting at/near max defense and health.

enojy posted:

I'm hoping for a Metroid announcement solely so you guys will shut the fuuuuuuck up about Zelda.

In a week when everyone is talking about Disgaea 5 you'll beg for death Zelda chat.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

hope y'all are excited for the secret switch dkc game by retro

Nintendo announced Breath of the Kong. Crowd goes bananas.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Looking back on Zelda we will see many faults for not so many pros. It really is a dead unliving world in the game. Sure Shrines and Korok Seeds but wheres the emergant gameplay? Wheres the dynamic NPCs and living animals? It plays like a PS2 open world game; none of the AI have routines, they are just always there never reacting to time or the world itself.

anmyone calling it a dead, unlviing world, never played OOT or twilight princess.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

anmyone calling it a dead, unlviing world, never played OOT or twilight princess.
Technically it was redead in OOT :eng101:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

fivegears4reverse posted:

A hookshot would be way more interesting than just about everything the iphone does if it was allowed the same freedom BotW affords traversal in general. Hell, it could act as the actual counter to scaling mountains in the rain. Rather than using what is likely an unintended exploit to leap after climbing exactly as much as you're allowed to in the rain, you could use it as a hand hold. Extend it and make it in to a rope swing of sorts. Leap into the air, glide a short distance, then use the slow mo to aim the hook shot at your next point, fire. Repeat.

That alone, to me,

That's the thing though. That alone. Like I said, there are a couple items that see use outside of their key situation, but they are genuinely few and far between. The hookshot was actually one of the last items cut from the game, since they had the same kind of idea but it just didn't fit. What aobut other key items though, how interesting would they be? How would they fit into the game given the rest of the items? As cool as LBW is, a lot of the other items are used only for that situation, which doesn't feel particularly satisfying.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Do they have Kirby icons for the Switch yet?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Infinitum posted:

BoI nerds
JP8V JH6G

The fun begins when you hit Necropolis 2

Cheers. I'll try it during lunch tomorrow.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Borsche69 posted:

That's the thing though. That alone. Like I said, there are a couple items that see use outside of their key situation, but they are genuinely few and far between. The hookshot was actually one of the last items cut from the game, since they had the same kind of idea but it just didn't fit. What aobut other key items though, how interesting would they be? How would they fit into the game given the rest of the items? As cool as LBW is, a lot of the other items are used only for that situation, which doesn't feel particularly satisfying.

I don't know, how could you fit the Dominion Rod into a game featuring hundreds of ancient robots that shoot lasers? :iiam:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Beastie posted:

Cheers. I'll try it during lunch tomorrow.

Enjoy a Brimstone + Tammy's Head run as well~
78HE H1GW

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Empress Brosephine posted:

Looking back on Zelda we will see many faults for not so many pros. It really is a dead unliving world in the game. Sure Shrines and Korok Seeds but wheres the emergant gameplay? Wheres the dynamic NPCs and living animals? It plays like a PS2 open world game; none of the AI have routines, they are just always there never reacting to time or the world itself.

Uh. The NPCs change what they are doing depending on the time of day and the weather. The animals seemed plenty lively to me. Is there a game that accomplishes what you want here?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Uh. The NPCs change what they are doing depending on the time of day and the weather. The animals seemed plenty lively to me. Is there a game that accomplishes what you want here?

also you get dialogue changes for doing things out of sequence / completing fetch quests before the characters talk to you

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love the world design in BOTW. There's plenty to do while keeping the big natural world feel and there's a lot of interesting areas to go to even if there's not a big reward there like ruins of major areas from past games. I normally don't explore too much in open world games and just stick to the main quests but I like going everywhere in this.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Binding of Isaac question: Why can I now only play the loving dumb as poo poo level where you press the button and only have 20 odd seconds to kill waves of enemies? I really loving hate it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Louisgod posted:

Binding of Isaac question: Why can I now only play the loving dumb as poo poo level where you press the button and only have 20 odd seconds to kill waves of enemies? I really loving hate it.

Is that greed mode? I hate that too and I have a poo poo ton of time in the game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

pissdude posted:

where is monster hunter

My best stab at this is approximately 1 year after the 3DS dies, so maybe 2019 or so.

Louisgod posted:

Push up/down on the character select screen to change modes.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 15, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Louisgod posted:

When you're selecting a character Up and Down will change modes.

You must have accidentally pressed down to select Greed Mode, and it's defaulted to that ever since.

Change it to back to Hard
Or if you are little baby man learning BoI, choose Normal for a bit.

I like and dislike Greed Mode. It's a nice change of pace from the normal gamut of things, but I really really cannot be arsed donating 999 coins to unlock Greedier Mode again
(Even though I'm eventually working towards Platinum God :negative:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Thank you!! It's fun, but not die 12 times in a row fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Thank you!! It's fun, but not die 12 times in a row fun.

Oh my poor sweet summer child

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

I like and dislike Greed Mode. It's a nice change of pace from the normal gamut of things, but I really really cannot be arsed donating 999 coins to unlock Greedier Mode again
(Even though I'm eventually working towards Platinum God :negative:

It's only 500 coins on Switch! Yea, greed mode is a fun change of pace. It becomes less aggravating once you've learned all of the enemies and know some good/favored synergies.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

It's only 500 coins on Switch! Yea, greed mode is a fun change of pace. It becomes less aggravating once you've learned all of the enemies and know some good/favored synergies.

Oh poo poo really? Well that's a horse of a different colour!

Bobs Brain can go gently caress itself, unless you get Pyromaniac on the same run. gently caress I hate that item.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish there was an 'exclude item' option ala Crypt of the Necrodancer because there are a handful of garbage items I hate seeing pop up.

Oh and for people that want to get better at Isaac
http://platinumgod.co.uk/ <<Invaluable. I agree that it's dumb that you essentially need a wiki for most poo poo, but you'll eventually learn what most of the items do.
http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Borsche69 posted:

It's a shame they cut the hookshot, because if I ever climb another tall place in BotW again it will be too soon.

I would argue that BotW is already a fair bit of the way there with what I want. A fairly large number of key items in Zelda have become basic weapons or standard issue equipment. The elemental rods are just another type of weapon, bombs are ALWAYS with you after the plateau, boomerangs are another weapon type. The hammer is again another weapon type that is hurt in the sense that unlike, say, LttP, there's no real explicit NEED to have one unless you're mining, and there's alternate solutions. Bows, another weapon type that you can pick up within ten minutes of starting.

We could get more creative with other things though. Bring back magic, and really play up the environmental effects. The three magic medallions from LttP could make a successful return here. Use 'em to solve environmental puzzles, be part of unlocking an optional temple somewhere. Maybe the big fire spell prevents any ice enemies from being able to use their attacks. Maybe it attracts fire enemies to a location. Maybe using the lightning spell is stupid dangerous to use in the rain, BUT if you've equipped the lightning resistance gear you get an extra powerful spell that you can use with impunity.

The Dominion Rod could control guardians. Make it an upgrade to the Sheikah Slate, one that you find in a shrine or temple rather than just another spirit orb. Let us control the guardians directly, or give 'em basic commands.

The canes from LttP, more upgrades to the slate. Or maybe leave them as seperate tools, and force us to make decisions on what we want to keep with us.

If nothing else, BotW has me excited for the next Zelda, because there's a ton of stuff they can do to really expand on our ability set, and in turn enhance our freedom within the game overall. If they can avoid excessive tutorials while giving us even more stuff to play with, and if they can design an open world that lets us use all these things however we want, it will be a fun game.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Climbing in BotW was fun as hell, I kept getting sidetracked by climbing every mountain I saw

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If nothing else, BotW has me excited for the next Zelda, because there's a ton of stuff they can do to really expand on our ability set, and in turn enhance our freedom within the game overall. If they can avoid excessive tutorials while giving us even more stuff to play with, and if they can design an open world that lets us use all these things however we want, it will be a fun game.
Same. I really think that Breath of the Wild is not only a phenomenal game, but a fantastic foundation for future titles. I'm way too curious about a game that is, at minimum, five years away.

It's a shame they cut the hookshot, because if I ever climb another tall place in BotW again it will be too soon.
Well the nice thing about cut content is that Nintendo usually makes use of it later on.

chaleski posted:

Climbing in BotW was fun as hell, I kept getting sidetracked by climbing every mountain I saw

This was me but with towers.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've been savoring Breath Of The Wild too slowly. I've only got passed the first shrine. I'm trying to make the game last a year.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/15/15639978/zelda-smartphone-game-nintendo-wsj

Zelda moble game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I look forward to playing it for five minutes then forgetting it's on my phone

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I look forward to playing it for five minutes then forgetting it's on my phone

"HEY LISTEN!"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm sort of scared for what a smartphone Zelda game would be, but it's reassuring that all of Nintendo's mobile games have been pretty rad so far (excluding Miitomo because nobody considers that to be a game.)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hear they're making a Pokemon TCG app and if that turns out to be true I will be all over that and will most likely end up spending shameful amounts of money on that poo poo.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

I hear they're making a Pokemon TCG app and if that turns out to be true I will be all over that and will most likely end up spending shameful amounts of money on that poo poo.

I'm pretty sure they already have a pokemon tcg mobile app. It's the same as the desktop version.

edit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pokemon.pokemontcg&hl=en

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

loving hilarious after all the Zelda chat the past several pages.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm pretty sure they already have a pokemon tcg mobile app. It's the same as the desktop version.

edit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pokemon.pokemontcg&hl=en

How did I miss this until now

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

First trailer for the Switch/PS4 port of One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAvLgtjEt0

Major updates include a performance increase running at 60 FPS on 1080p (handheld and table modes 720p), over 50 pieces of DLC costumes and quests built-in, and offline multiplayer support (Switch gets two-player JoyCon option). I played the Vita version awhile back and it was an okay game, basically a One Piece hunting action game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, considering how good Mario Run and FE Heroes has been, a Zelda mobile game seems like it'll also be really good. I'm glad they actually put effort into their mobile stuff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They already have decent touch screen Zelda games. There's stuff a lot of people hate about them, but that's the kind of stuff that would usually be excised from a mobile game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
So it's still super hard to find a switch. Apparently Mario Kart 8 did very very well. I think it's a bunch of people who were seeing games they wanted to buy come out on the Wii U, and then going "Well I dont want to buy a Wii U JUST for that game" so Wii U was in the catch 22 of nobody wanted it because it "didnt have enough" and nobody was making games for it because nobody had one, even though they were making a bunch of pretty good looking games for it. Do any of you think that Nintendo might do what they've done with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and just repackage some of the Wii U Greatest Hits bundled with maybe DLC, just to dip into the market of people who wanted those?

I mean hopefully they spend their time developing good, new games, but would it be a bad deal if they did double dip on old games for people who didnt get a Wii U? Is it a bad marketing decision to do something like that? Like, Super Mario 3D World on Switch, or Bayonetta 2. Just because Im surprised at how the Switch is doing especially considering how many issues the console itself apparently has, do you think they might mitigate a bit of their bad image if they can manage the Switch well? I mean I do think some of the Switch success is people wanting that Zelda game, and going "Well I dont have a Wii U so I might as well get it on the new console". Because that Zelda game is like basically my video game wet dream. It's like Zelda Gear Solid 3.

TL;DR: Basically Im asking if people think the Switch will do well, and this being hard to find is kinda like the Wii being hard to find (Wal Mart is selling Switch consoles at ebay prices, $499 according to their website), or is this "new console excitement", and it will eventually die down and the Switch will fall off? But certainly it's doing better than the Wii U, right? I didnt bother to check because I didnt want a Wii U but were they still this annoying to find a few months after launch? They werent moving that many units that they were selling out week after week just 2 months after launch were they?

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 15, 2017

• Locked thread