Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
my method remains a coffee filter in a funnel - but it's going to take a while regardless, oil is thick stuff, and flows slower than most liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Is there a correct way to do this? I've got a paper towel secured over a glass jar and it's taking a while. I assume this is normal though.

Invest in a fine-mesh sieve or something, you're only trying to filter out bits of food debris. Using kitchen paper towels seems a bit stupid, I dunno why it was recommended. It's far too thick to filter oil in a reasonable amount of time. Or just live with the fact it'll take 30 mins to filter the oil and the last remaining bit won't filter since there's not enough pressure to force it through the kitchen towels.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Actually, I was wrong, pour the oil while it's hot. It'll be thinner and flow faster. Maybe change out the paper towel once.

Loopoo posted:

Invest in a fine-mesh sieve or something, you're only trying to filter out bits of food debris. Using kitchen paper towels seems a bit stupid, I dunno why it was recommended. It's far too thick to filter oil in a reasonable amount of time. Or just live with the fact it'll take 30 mins to filter the oil and the last remaining bit won't filter since there's not enough pressure to force it through the kitchen towels.

JawKnee posted:

my method remains a coffee filter in a funnel - but it's going to take a while regardless, oil is thick stuff, and flows slower than most liquids.

There are plenty of fine particles that get through a sieve, particles that will contribute to the oil degrading faster next time. With most coffee filters it takes forever. I find a paper towel to be a good medium.

edit: You can go with a sieve if you want, your oil will just not last as long. Your oil might be cheap enough that you might not care.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 15, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Would cheese cloth work?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Depends what you mean by cheese cloth... most of the stuff labeled "cheese cloth" at the grocery is super loose and will let even coarse particles through. Proper cheese cloth is often labeled "butter muslin" and works about the same as a paper towel. It's just a hassle to clean if you want to reuse and more expensive than paper towels if you want to treat them as disposable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Takeaways : filter while hot, don't use a meltable plastic or cold glass container.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Veritek83 posted:

It's also really important to understand what is worth slow cooking and what isn't. You want relatively inexpensive cuts, with a bunch of fat and connective tissue. Don't use lean meats- those are almost certainly going to be a lot better cooked with high heat short cook times.
Yup - chuck is good for this - but if you try something like a top round/sirloin it'll be shoe leather.

quote:

In this case, I'd start checking it hourly around hour 3 or 4- just poke a fork in, see if you can twist it easily. Once you can easily twist the fork around, it's ready to shred.
Yea, don't let it go too long or you'll end up with mush that resembles canned tuna

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone know of any good, CHEAP sources for buying these in bulk:
-Kappa Carageenan
-Vegan Lactic Acid powder

Google is failing me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I use a fine mesh sieve to strain my oil.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
About to spend 3 days in Amsterdam and 4 days in Paris. The only thing I have on my list so far is Yam'tcha in Paris, and a dodgy oyster joint.

Give me some places to eat, goons? More interested in Amsterdam than Paris, because I don't wanna eat herring for 3 days.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

physeter posted:

About to spend 3 days in Amsterdam and 4 days in Paris. The only thing I have on my list so far is Yam'tcha in Paris, and a dodgy oyster joint.

Give me some places to eat, goons? More interested in Amsterdam than Paris, because I don't wanna eat herring for 3 days.

You'll have better luck asking in this thread over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3697762&perpage=40&pagenumber=10#pti20

I'm too lazy to find them, but I assume Paris and Amsterdam have their own threads.

Bonus: what I rank as my 3rd- or 4th-best meal of my life was in Amsterdam. I'd tell you the name of the restaurant but I've completely forgotten. It was a patio taking up most of the sidewalk of an independent little Indonesian place around the corner from the hostel I was at in June of 2011 - and the yellow curry (I think I chose the chicken, not sure) was amazing. Just go find whatever little Indonesian place you can and enjoy it.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 15, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Can someone please help me figure out what type of Hungarian Paprika this is? Housemates bought it in Budapest but don't know, and I've been googling the words I see on the package but have not had much luck figuring it out. I'm wondering if this is 'hot' or 'sweet', and how this would best be used in an impending goulash.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Ranter posted:

Can someone please help me figure out what type of Hungarian Paprika this is? Housemates bought it in Budapest but don't know, and I've been googling the words I see on the package but have not had much luck figuring it out. I'm wondering if this is 'hot' or 'sweet', and how this would best be used in an impending goulash.

It's hard for me to tell, too. In the absence of any wording that suggests it's spicy or sweet, I'd assume it's sweet? Maybe try a little?

In any case, this recipe is fun and has always served me well.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Ranter posted:

In their 'about' page they say: "Ground paprika is marketed in four different grades: különleges (Special Quality), csemege (Delicate), édesnemes (Noble Sweet) and csípős csemege (Pungent Exquisite Delicate)." This one is the "Special Quality":
http://szegedipaprika.hu/termekcsoport/eredetvedett-szegedi-paprika-en/?lang=en

Wikipedia says: Special quality (különleges) – the mildest (very sweet with a deep bright red color).

Tasting it is your best bet though. I mean, how sweet is 'very sweet'.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Awesome thank you both very much.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am slicing up a seared meat for ramen, is it better to slice meat along the grain or perpendicular?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I am slicing up a seared meat for ramen, is it better to slice meat along the grain or perpendicular?

Perpendicular

Fake edit: what meat in particular

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got some basil to use up, got any suggestions other than pesto?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tomato basil red onion salad in a balsamic olive oil dressing

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I would make some ratatouille

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can I sub in steelhead trout for salmon recipes? How does it compare?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

i got some basil to use up, got any suggestions other than pesto?

Basil simple syrup for cocktails.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Absolutely. The only difference I've noticed is that the steelhead I get is usually not quite as fatty. Otherwise they're remarkably similar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need more fiber in my diet. What are some easy to make foods to supplement fiber with? Vegetables, obviously, but IIRC they're not all equal in that respect.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

yes. steelhead is actually a better quality fish for the price than most salmon. atlantic farm raised salmon is trash.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

I need more fiber in my diet. What are some easy to make foods to supplement fiber with? Vegetables, obviously, but IIRC they're not all equal in that respect.
Beans and (brown) rice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

just eat a vegetable, or beans, it doesn't really matter that much as long as you include a lot in your diet. If you need so much that you're worried about grams of fiber per serving or whatever just take psyllium.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pollyanna posted:

Cabbage, collard greens.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Make some rumbledethumps. Or maybe colcannon. You'll get plenty.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Nuts, oats, fresh/dried fruit are all good, so Granola/Muesli is an easy way to boost your fiber intake.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

It takes some getting used to, but switch to whole grain everything — pasta, bread, cereal. For breakfast, :gitgud: at making oatmeal, or buy bran flakes or shredded wheat (I like mine frosted) if you can't be bothered with the hassle. A German brand called Mestemacher (I've seen it in Whole Foods) makes bread that has 25% of your recommended fiber intake per slice. It's very dense and chewy, but has a lot of flavor and is outstanding toasted with butter and jam or braunschweiger for a real man's breakfast or lunch.

As for vegetables, roasted sweet potatoes are so good it's hard to believe how healthy they are. Avocado is also surprisingly rich in fiber.

Other suggestions are good so far: rice and beans are definitely part of the human condition, and I think you can find a traditional recipe for every taste. Recipes are not always easy to make, but they usually make a 8 to 10 servings at a time, so you can portion and freeze meals for an entire week and beyond for one Saturday's worth of cooking. If you just don't have the time, there are plenty of canned bean recipes out there, and lots of grocery stores carry easy-to-cook or microwave brown rice. Roasted almonds with skins are also a great nutritious, filling, and fiber-rich snack.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

physeter posted:

Moeders in Amsterdam for traditional Dutch fare that's very delicious.

Kantjil en de Tijger for Indonesian.

Arendsnest and In De Wildeman for beer.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm a cooking noob and have a dumb question. I need to deglaze a pan with bourbon after cooking some meat, and then veggies in it. I, uh, should expect it to start on fire, right? How do I know when all the alcohol is gone, when the fire goes out?

The Midniter posted:

Shakshuka. It's a hearty tomato stew to which you can add tons of different vegetables, whatever is in season and whatever is to your liking. Practically fat and carb free, couldn't be healthier, and you can skip the eggs if you want to make it really fat free.

This post was from October (I'm really far behind in this thread). I had never heard of Shakshuka, but holy poo poo. I made it last night and it's amazing. Would it be possible to get cute and make this in a muffin tin for individual servings? Or maybe a 9x13 and treat it like a casserole?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Steelhead are sea-run Rainbow Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, in the same genus as the other North American Pacific Salmon like Sockeye, Pink, Chum, etc. I'd guess they fall somewhere in the middle of the pack for fat content and colour, so they'd be fairly similar to Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) as well. Farmed salmon and most salmon sold as simply "salmon" outside of the west coast of North America is Atlantic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm a cooking noob and have a dumb question. I need to deglaze a pan with bourbon after cooking some meat, and then veggies in it. I, uh, should expect it to start on fire, right? How do I know when all the alcohol is gone, when the fire goes out?

First, turn off the stove if you have gas when you add the bourbon otherwise you risk a big flare up. Once you turn it back on, you can kind of tip the pan into the flame to ignite it if you want. It doesn't necessarily have to ignite though to deglaze properly. If it does, when it goes out, the majority of alcohol will have burned off/evaporated. If it doesn't ignite, just look to reduce the volume of liquid added til it's less than half/mostly gone. But no matter what you do, there will still be some alcohol left in the final dish. And taste the sauce. Does it taste boozy? Keep cooking.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

To be very explicit as to the answer to the question: no, you should not expect it to set on fire. A recipe which instructs you to deglaze is not telling you to flambe, which generally requires you to explicitly light the alcohol vapors with an open flame. Turning off the burner to be safe when pouring is good advice, and you should always be ready to cope with an accidental fire when cooking (for example, have a lid for the pan ready to smother flames), but don't think that something has gone wrong if you add the bourbon and there's no fire. Just keep simmering the sauce to thicken it, which will also cook off most (but not all) of the alcohol, which you should be able to judge by taste.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Having a little fire extinguisher in your kitchen is an inexpensive and very smart idea in general.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Would it be possible to get cute and make this in a muffin tin for individual servings?

That's a good idea. I'm going to do that. I have a cast iron muffin tin that'll be perfect.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Turns out bin lids aren't just for keeping smells contained inside the bin. It keeps flies out as well. Been 3 days since I took the trash out, and taking it out today strewed maggots all over my god drat kitchen floor. I thought it was rice at first, until they started wriggling. So yeah, PSA: keep your bin lid down at all times, and if the weather is warm consecutively, don't leave the window open and let flies in.

That being said, I scooped the maggots up. Is there any dish I can incorporate them into? To keep this post ontopic. Maggot pate perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

^^^ make Casu Marzu

DasNeonLicht posted:

It takes some getting used to, but switch to whole grain everything
I think you mean whole WHEAT there bud. 'Whole Grain' being on a label(in the US at least) means the grain was whole. that's it.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 18, 2017