Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I completed P5 twice and filled out the compendium and only ever had a failed fusion one time. Getting it three in one playthrough seems particularly unlucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
After playing Breath of the Wild, any game in which I cannot open a chest from every angle is now dragged down.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Weird Sandwich posted:

After playing Breath of the Wild, any game in which I cannot open a chest from every angle is now dragged down.
Playing Robodinosaur hunter, I died several times from what I thought were short falls and somehow the dang ginger wouldn't take out her glider!

I am really curious if there will ever be a game that will get freedom of movement as well as BotW

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I completed P5 twice and filled out the compendium and only ever had a failed fusion one time. Getting it three in one playthrough seems particularly unlucky

I just finished the fifth dungeon and never got one, but now feel like all you assholes just jinxed me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I got it three times my first playthrough. It was never an upgrade.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lara crofts bow in Tomb Raider 2013 is really weak and not as good as the guns imo

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

marshmallow creep posted:

I got it three times my first playthrough. It was never an upgrade.

I'm still early in the game and have had three, one was a straight upgrade to the guy I was trying to make - the new persona got all the same skills AND an extra Rpl.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Weird Sandwich posted:

Yeah, Nier: Automata doesn't do that, and it's pretty annoying. Particularly since many chests are so small that you can just walk over them, and the game is also really fond of forced-perspective shenanigans so that you often can't even see which way the chest is pointing.

Speaking of Nier, it's also just a bit too in love with its whole shooter gimmick. It's annoying how you regularly have to stand back and plink with the anemic machine gun because some miniboss is doing one of the seemingly million moves that prevent you from melee attacking. I just wanna hit dudes with my giant sword. :saddowns:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

oldpainless posted:

Lara crofts bow in Tomb Raider 2013 is really weak and not as good as the guns imo

This is generally the same for bows and guns in real life, so technically it's a very realistic game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oldpainless posted:

It's really useful up until the point where you get a silencer, after that it gets delegated to rope duty.

They really improved it in Rise by giving it an triple lock-on headshot upgrade, which was pretty rad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alan Wake's camera randomly changes angles every episode. Why can't it just be behind me

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Nier: Automata doesn't do that, and it's pretty annoying. Particularly since many chests are so small that you can just walk over them, and the game is also really fond of forced-perspective shenanigans so that you often can't even see which way the chest is pointing.

Speaking of Nier, it's also just a bit too in love with its whole shooter gimmick. It's annoying how you regularly have to stand back and plink with the anemic machine gun because some miniboss is doing one of the seemingly million moves that prevent you from melee attacking. I just wanna hit dudes with my giant sword. :saddowns:

What complicates the chest issue is that your buddy will stand next to you and trigger dialog when you wanted to open a chest instead.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Dewgy posted:

It's really useful up until the point where you get a silencer, after that it gets delegated to rope duty.

They really improved it in Rise by giving it an triple lock-on headshot upgrade, which was pretty rad.

I beat the whole game only using the bow because it felt so fun. You don't need to draw all the way back, and always be headshottin.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

What complicates the chest issue is that your buddy will stand next to you and trigger dialog when you wanted to open a chest instead.

This doesn't happen. You can't talk to your buddy in Automata, and you have to hold B to enter their AI config thing. Just tapping B doesn't do anything if you aren't near a thing to interact with.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been really enjoying Prey but it does have one thing that's really annoying me, respawning enemies. It really doesn't work in a game that is about scrounging for a set number of supplies.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

I've been really enjoying Prey but it does have one thing that's really annoying me, respawning enemies. It really doesn't work in a game that is about scrounging for a set number of supplies.

God, this. Especially escalating enemies, which ny dwindling supplies and janky combat mechanics do not allow me to reasonably thwart. Returning to parts of the ship to find higher-level enemies about was incredibly disheartening in a way that felt unfair, rather than thematically appropriate and atmospheric.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Even playing on Nightmare difficulty I never really had a problem with combat (save for the first 30 mins before you get an actual firearm).
1) If the monster kicks your rear end, 90% chances are it's weak to the Stun gun and you can chain-zap it to death. Even if they aren't weak to it per se, they take a ton more damage from other weapons while zapped.
2) L3 Combat Focus is completely bananas and lets you drop two full mags of shotgun into any number of foes and explode them to death.

As long as you can loot them and you're not ~completely~ rambo with your ammo, you can throw their organs in the recycler for ammo and come out even or ahead. The Pistol ammo especially is fabricator-effective.

Also Fortified Turrets almost always survive on their own (usually turrets are busted if you leave and come back).

Thing dragging the game down: you can only track one crewman at a time, after you find that person you have to hoof it all the way back to security terminal to track another person. And there are two dozen folks (at least) out in deep space where you move slower and there aren't sec terminals for a looooong way. My achievements :saddowns:

Also to get all the achievements you basically have to complete the game 3 times. I LOVE Prey, it's looking good for 2017 Evilreaver's Game Of The Year, but that's a loooot of game...

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Glukeose posted:

God, this. Especially escalating enemies, which ny dwindling supplies and janky combat mechanics do not allow me to reasonably thwart. Returning to parts of the ship to find higher-level enemies about was incredibly disheartening in a way that felt unfair, rather than thematically appropriate and atmospheric.

I had the opposite complaint, that I had inexhaustible mountains of resources in the late game and the enemies weren't scaling up enough to stay a challenge. Maybe they should've thrown some extra-bullshit enemies at you if you have excessive supplies, and eased off on the respawning if you're running low.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Triarii posted:

I had the opposite complaint, that I had inexhaustible mountains of resources in the late game and the enemies weren't scaling up enough to stay a challenge. Maybe they should've thrown some extra-bullshit enemies at you if you have excessive supplies, and eased off on the respawning if you're running low.

I'm playing Normal, so maybe that's why Prey has been such a cakewalk. As long as you're point-blank-within-kissing-distance with a shotgun (even better with a sneak bonus) pretty much everything dies in a few hits. Kill all corrupted bots, mimics, and even regular phatoms with the wrench (either GLOOing or jumping around like a spaz to dodge enemy melee) to save ammo, grouped baddies get a recycler charge. Technopaths, Weavers, and some of the harder-to-hit floaty bastards can be wiped out with typhon skills or the Q-beam. Oh, and the flame-mine power can be dropped directly on a target for insta-damage, and at full power even tears through Nightmares in a few shots.

I'm about 3/4 through my 2nd playthrough, and this time I've got over 50 health kits, 40 suit kits, and 40 psi hypos. Anytime you run low on anything, don't be afraid to run back and find the appropriate Operator to fix it instead of using your sweet, sweet expendables. Except Psi, especially if you've got one of the regenerating chip-sets. Granted, these tactics might be bullshit for the hardest difficulty levels, but I suppose that's what makes them difficult *shrug*

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was in the hardware area early in the game and turned the difficulty up to hard because I had 15 EMP grenades. Normal definitely gives you way more stuff than you need if you explore. I think the amount of supplies you get on normal is more geared toward players who just go straight to the objective marker. Hard has felt like a pretty good sweet spot though. You don't have to fret over every single bit of ammo and slam F9 if your recycle grenade misses, but if you just try to kill everything with the shotgun then you will run out of shells.

Hard also hasn't turned the enemies into bullet sponges or anything either. One shot from my pistol on a mimic who is disguised will very nearly kill it, with no stealth upgrades and just the "security weapons 1" upgrade. Difficulty seems really balanced in this game so far.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Bloodborne's DLC is too loving hard.

I platted vanilla, have beaten the game multiple times, etc., but the DLC is just too goddamned hard to be enjoyable. Yes, yes, git gud blah blah. Whatever. It's unfun and drags down one of the best games of all time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oldstench posted:

I platted vanilla, have beaten the game multiple times, etc., but the DLC is just too goddamned hard to be enjoyable. Yes, yes, git gud blah blah. Whatever. It's unfun and drags down one of the best games of all time.

I feel like it might have benefited by cutting all the numbers by 1/3. that said it is super satisfying once you finally take out the orphan.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like it might have benefited by cutting all the numbers by 1/3. that said it is super satisfying once you finally take out the orphan.

See, I don't even know what that is. I'm currently stuck trying to get past the two giant purple face dudes in the giant blood pool right after opening the shortcut door to the first lantern.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

My favourite thing about Bloodborne is how the enemy names make you all sound completely loving mental.

"Ah I had a lot of trouble with the Amygdala and the Wet-Nurse, but the Superior Vena Cava was a walk in the park"

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite thing about Bloodborne is how the enemy names make you all sound completely loving mental.

"Ah I had a lot of trouble with the Amygdala and the Wet-Nurse, but the Superior Vena Cava was a walk in the park"

Other good ones: Garden of Eyes, Hateful Maggot, Giant Lost Child, Cramped Coffin

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Maneater Mildred, Ceaseless Discharge, The Penetrator...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Pus of Man

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Oldstench posted:

See, I don't even know what that is. I'm currently stuck trying to get past the two giant purple face dudes in the giant blood pool right after opening the shortcut door to the first lantern.

Run past them? I never bothered killing them.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Wapole Languray posted:

This doesn't happen.

This is gaslighting right

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oldstench posted:

I agree. I liked the rest of the game, fired up the DLC, and just had a lovely time until I stopped playing it for good. Waste of good money.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The DLC is worth is for the bosses alone, especially Maria, who is the best boss in all of Soulsborne.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I really like the Old Hunters DLC but I honestly have a hard time doing some of the bosses solo. Maria is great, though.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Regarding Prey, are most folks playing on PC? On ps4 at least I don't feel like the mechanics allow me to do crazy wrench jumps or lay waste to phantoms. I explored the hell out of Talos and was usually able to fabricate stuff, but certain enemies just kind of felt like bullet taxes.

Am I just not as good at games as I thought? Am I going to have my gamer cred revoked?? :ohdear:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

I really like the Old Hunters DLC but I honestly have a hard time doing some of the bosses solo. Maria is great, though.

It took me hours to get past the first stage of the first boss. Luckily I made it through the second on my first try, much easier. Protip if you're stuck on the first boss, there's a zombie that always drops like 6 blood vials between the lantern and the boss.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Glukeose posted:

Regarding Prey, are most folks playing on PC? On ps4 at least I don't feel like the mechanics allow me to do crazy wrench jumps or lay waste to phantoms. I explored the hell out of Talos and was usually able to fabricate stuff, but certain enemies just kind of felt like bullet taxes.

Am I just not as good at games as I thought? Am I going to have my gamer cred revoked?? :ohdear:

Input lag on the PS4 version is a known issue. They've supposedly fixed it to some degree, but it's still enough that it interferes with combat and makes the hacking minigame difficult to complete.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I think it's been said in here before, but right now I feel like it bears repeating: Jesus gently caress, Nier: Automata, if you're gonna be so smug about not having any sort of autosave you should make sure you don't crash regularly.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 20:55 on May 17, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir is really fun, pretty, good, etc, but I just ran into one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a game like this.

It has a really cute menu system where you read different books to play as different characters. I'm on the last one, decided to take some time and go back to the other characters to fill out their missing skills, find bonuses, etc.

Two characters of endgame cleanup in, I realized the game hasn't been saving my progress when I decide to switch books. Tons of XP, items, skills, just loving gone. Even though the save file connects every single character played and going back to "the attic" has the character holding the book of whoever you were just playing, if you don't save when switching it just decides to toss all of your progress without any major warning.

It warns that "unsaved progress will be lost", but why!? I haven't quit the drat game!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Wapole Languray posted:

This doesn't happen. You can't talk to your buddy in Automata, and you have to hold B to enter their AI config thing. Just tapping B doesn't do anything if you aren't near a thing to interact with.

It happened to me frequently.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Adjudicator, Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels, Nameless King, Flexile Sentry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Glukeose posted:

Yeah I played it on PC, but I didn't do anything too crazy in combat. GLOO gun on mimics, stun gun (or electric psi power when it's upgraded) on everything else so I could kill them at my leisure. Stun works against everything but electric phantoms and nightmares; the former is slow enough that you can just walk backwards shooting at them, and against the latter I generally ducked behind objects/corners while emptying the shotgun into them and they went down fast enough.