Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nichael posted:

I really hope Andromeda flopping doesn't impact Dragon Age.

I hope it does, because hopefully it will mean they go "hmm, maybe we shouldn't sabotage or brands by pumping out lovely half-finished garbage"

Tenzarin posted:

At least The Division had a rich world and story that they spent alot of time on.

Given your history of posting I can't tell if this is true or a troll

doctor 7 posted:

I feel like I would've enjoyed Andromeda a lot more if so many of the quests weren't a huge hassle. There are dozens of quests where you need to go through about a dozen to two dozen steps, many across multiple planets (and thus cinematic space transportation, loading screens, land transportation, then fighting groups at each stop, etc). So a quest which has a neat bit of lore in ME1-3 which would be over in say 5-15 minutes you feel like your time was spent well. Andromeda drags this out to be like 30minutes to hours on end.

I feel like that lovely "movie night" quest and probably Peebee loyalty missions are the worst offenders.

Movie night you do a bunch of lovely collecting bear asses to get some awful awkward bonding moment. I swear it's written for the same weirdos that stroked off to the Citadel DLC allowing you to "hang out" with you fake video game friends.

Peebee you go through a bunch of garbage only to have Peebee decide to give up on an important piece of technology to try and save a former friend turned serious enemy that has literally stolen from you and tried to kill you multiple times. So you spend hours going to different planets doing all this bullshit only to have the game edge you towards saving the enemy, because Peebee makes a decision nobody would, you have no reason to unless you renegade out. It's just loving dumb.

But then the game has some neat parts like the Asari ark where you gotta decide if a bodyguard made the right call letting the pathfinder they protected due to save many others.

Also everyone making GBS threads on ME1 like it gives you "I'm objective" credit to crap on Andromeda is stupid. Mass Effect 1 is dated, yeah, the planetary exploration with the Mako sucked but even now it's a solid enough game. The combat is good enough that you can play it but most important the world building is superb.

Rather than touring around for any one quest I would just go to a planet and clear all the dots at that planet, then go to the next one with lots of queued quests - didn't feel like much of a slog that way.

doctor 7 posted:

This is why I couldn't get into it. Destiny it works because you're all space dudes in space armour.

Also Destiny was a mess on release but to Bungie's serious credit they have vastly improved the game's story, drops and everything basically.

They even completely re-recorded and replaced one of the voice actors which I thought was hilarious

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The Division isn't that bad but you need to understand how to make a good build and combine powers to get to the point where the enemies aren't sponges. At its core it's very diablo and the problem is that the audience for a Clancy game is expecting a skill shooter.

Seriously on my gross top tier builds I absolutely melt even the most ferocious yellow bar enemies.

Also Destiny's secret sauce is bungie's top notch gun feel, the way that console aiming and shooting feels in the game is incredible and coming over to mass Effect after playing a lot of destiny, it's embarrassing how bad the guns in MEA feel. There's absolutely no real care taken to adapt the aiming mechanics and enemy behavior to console controllers, and the guy earlier is right that the only thing that feels good to use is powers.

I can second the comments on gun feel. The other thing Destiny does well is provide a good range of enemy difficulty. The mooks are there to be one-shot while the big bads are tough without being particularly bullet spongy, aside from one or two examples. The enemy movement and overall balancing is possible in part because destiny isn't as open ended. It's more like relatively contained arenas separated by traversal, although the arenas can vary significantly in size and layout.

Error 404 posted:

Counterpoint: it really isn't

I assume driving a lambo and a honda fit feel the same for you as well

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Getting a headshot kill in Destiny still has a nice little rush of "gently caress yeah" even after putting way too many hours in. Aiming and shooting just feel right. And even when I'm dumping an equivalent amount of ammo into a dude in that compared to MEA, it feels less spongy because there's a lot more feedback.

Yeah, the only problem I ever had in Destiny was when people not me figured out how to game the stickiness of certain guns' scopes and do basically blind sniper headshots at close range. I think they fixed it so you couldn't really do it but I haven't played Crucible or ToO/ IB for a while

Burkion posted:

Unless you find her face sexually appealing on the same level as boobs and rear end to a lot of people, and if you do no judgement here you do you, that's not even remotely the same thing and you know it.

It's still stupid it's just a different kind of stupid.

If you take as a given that they can travel at superluminous speeds it's not really a leap that they can probably make enviro suits that use some sort of tech to accomplish what a physically sealed suit does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Wow that was way more replies in one post than I remember making, oops

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I hope it does, because hopefully it will mean they go "hmm, maybe we shouldn't sabotage or brands by pumping out lovely half-finished garbage"
I think Inquisition was a decent apology for 2 being half finished garbage.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Nichael posted:

I think Inquisition was a decent apology for 2 being half finished garbage.

Yeah but then they went and shat out this thing.

For context: I have mostly enjoyed over 50 hours of it but it's a clear step back in quality after I was mostly pretty happy with inquisition and compares very poorly with the examples mentioned in the last few pages that do all the things it was trying to do better

Going straight from HZD to MAE was :flaccid:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah but then they went and shat out this thing.

For context: I have mostly enjoyed over 50 hours of it but it's a clear step back in quality after I was mostly pretty happy with inquisition and compares very poorly with the examples mentioned in the last few pages that do all the things it was trying to do better

Going straight from HZD to MAE was :flaccid:

Imagine how bad this PoS would have been had they not raided the DAI folks for personnel and ideas.

Fire Mac Walters into the sun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Franchise is dead folks. No point griping about the boobs and butts or lack thereof. The well is dry from here on out.

I'm sure CD Projekt Red will put plenty of those into CP 2077 anyway, enough to keep everyone happy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pattonesque posted:

Everyone should wear actual armor when they're out in the field

if you want to make it stylish and distinctive that's great and preferable and even gives the cosplayers more to work with if that's a concern but people running around in jackets is dumb

in ME3 most everyone had full armor as their default combat skin and the one who didn't (Liara) had an alternate that was.

And for crying out loud give everyone a full helmet. One of the few things wrong with ME2 was when your teammates were running around in hazardous environments with their eyes uncovered

I'm still fairly certain the new bubble-top helmet design, that looks far more breakable than the old design, only exists to break in the intro and kill off Alex Ryder.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The mention of DA2 got me curious about something.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect-andromeda

DA2 actually has a decently higher critics score, although there are also more reviews so maybe that's the cause.

I would be very happy if Andromeda became the new BW whipping boy. I've played Dragon Age II 3 times while one playthrough was more than enough for Andromeda.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Why are people saying DAI was good? I'm not saying it was bad but it definitely wasn't as good as people are making out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NikkolasKing posted:

DA2 actually has a decently higher critics score, although there are also more reviews so maybe that's the cause.

I would be very happy if Andromeda became the new BW whipping boy. I've played Dragon Age II 3 times while one playthrough was more than enough for Andromeda.

DA2 was released at the high watermark of corporate bought reviews, instead of just mostly bought reviews as they are today. It was also at a time where Bioware was seen as the premier RPG company that could do no wrong, and it took some time for the worm to turn. Look at the user score though, DA2 is widely hated by just about everybody except a small subset of insane goons.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, critics tended to be kinder to DA2 than the general public. Of course, even aside from the usual conspiracies and rumors of conspiracies, a factor could be the same thing that goes for arthouse films, and how they bore most people to tears while making critics drool like they got a five hundred dollar steak. Dragon Age 2, no matter how poorly it executed the ideas, was trying something new. Where most games in the genre painted you as a globetrotting badass who saved the world in less time than an average corporate brunch, DA2 put you as a borderline fuckup who spent years farting around one city before letting it fall into chaos due to his or her own inadequacies. It was a change of pace, and if you have to play absolutely everything, even a bad change beats more of the same.

Which helps explain why Andromeda isn't even getting the same level of sympathy as Dragon Age 2 pulled. Where Dragon Age 2 was an ambitious experiment on a nightmarish schedule (where failure is, if not forgivable, understandable), Andromeda is just trying to jam Mass Effect into the "Open world games are popular, right?" box, with plenty of time to get the job done if they'd managed it better.

Incompetence in pursuit of innovation may be fondly remembered once someone actually makes the idea work.

Mediocrity is its own punishment.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Why are people saying DAI was good? I'm not saying it was bad but it definitely wasn't as good as people are making out.

Because DA2 was so bad that DAI not having copy pasted environments and places to see other than loving Kirkwall automatically made it a good game, plus Anders the Suicide Bomber Mage doesn't show his stupid face in it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, critics tended to be kinder to DA2 than the general public. Of course, even aside from the usual conspiracies and rumors of conspiracies, a factor could be the same thing that goes for arthouse films, and how they bore most people to tears while making critics drool like they got a five hundred dollar steak. Dragon Age 2, no matter how poorly it executed the ideas, was trying something new. Where most games in the genre painted you as a globetrotting badass who saved the world in less time than an average corporate brunch, DA2 put you as a borderline fuckup who spent years farting around one city before letting it fall into chaos due to his or her own inadequacies. It was a change of pace, and if you have to play absolutely everything, even a bad change beats more of the same.

Which helps explain why Andromeda isn't even getting the same level of sympathy as Dragon Age 2 pulled. Where Dragon Age 2 was an ambitious experiment on a nightmarish schedule (where failure is, if not forgivable, understandable), Andromeda is just trying to jam Mass Effect into the "Open world games are popular, right?" box, with plenty of time to get the job done if they'd managed it better.

Incompetence in pursuit of innovation may be fondly remembered once someone actually makes the idea work.

Mediocrity is its own punishment.

Yeah, you summed up my feelings quite well. I've always been that way. If a creator's reach exceeds their grasp, at least they tried. That was part of why I loved Metal Gear Solid 2 in spite of the fact it was vehemently hated by most every gamer I knew.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
DA2 was dogshit and those reviews were paid up nonsense lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
"Hmmm yes truly only having 6 unchanging environments is interesting storytelling such and avante garde embarrassment of riches must be admired"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vitamin P posted:

DA2 was dogshit and those reviews were paid up nonsense lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I liked it for a lot of the same same reasons I like any Bioware game. It had an interesting cast of characters with fun (though regrettably easy) gameplay. The choices available in the game were often compelling, and its acknowledgement of past choices (though limited), was well done. The dialogue felt responsive to your character's personality (being able to say early on what you religious views are was cool), and all of the voice acting was well done. What made it especially good is the setting expanded further in Inquisition. It continued to differentiate the franchise from generic fantasy, and answered big questions about the overarching stories of the series while still setting up a lot that could be explored later on.

I honestly just really like party RPGs, and will always find games with tons of dialogue and a large cast to be my favorite. Inquisition delivered on that. Andromeda kind of delivers on that, and I have a positive opinion of it overall too, but I recognize that it's not a great game as its riddled with inexplicable design decisions and has a weirdly detached setting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like well written party based RPGs a lot too. The classic Ultimas, Baldur's Gate/PoE and especially how it worked in Tyranny.

Actually all I really want is more Tyranny.

Now imagine BG2 only with approximately 800% more open world but no depth to any of it. Yeah, not an improvement and here we are with ME:A.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nichael posted:

I liked it for a lot of the same same reasons I like any Bioware game. It had an interesting cast of characters with fun (though regrettably easy) gameplay. The choices available in the game were often compelling, and its acknowledgement of past choices (though limited), was well done. The dialogue felt responsive to your character's personality (being able to say early on what you religious views are was cool), and all of the voice acting was well done. What made it especially good is the setting expanded further in Inquisition. It continued to differentiate the franchise from generic fantasy, and answered big questions about the overarching stories of the series while still setting up a lot that could be explored later on.

I honestly just really like party RPGs, and will always find games with tons of dialogue and a large cast to be my favorite. Inquisition delivered on that. Andromeda kind of delivers on that, and I have a positive opinion of it overall too, but I recognize that it's not a great game as its riddled with inexplicable design decisions and has a weirdly detached setting.

While I'll agree with Dancing Shade that I'd pick a game like PoE or Baldurs Gate over how DAI worked I think the world building in DAI is really good and that's what got me into it.
Cory's speech in Haven is absolutely great and touches on loads of the mysteries of the game. Andromeda hasn't got anything like that, the only mysteries are just straight up spelled out over two rooms that are connected to each other. It's got no melodrama and no depth.

DAI does have annoying stupid quests and lots of useless areas but the underlying story is still interesting to me and gives loads of stuff to think about.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

While I'll agree with Dancing Shade that I'd pick a game like PoE or Baldurs Gate over how DAI worked I think the world building in DAI is really good and that's what got me into it.
Cory's speech in Haven is absolutely great and touches on loads of the mysteries of the game. Andromeda hasn't got anything like that, the only mysteries are just straight up spelled out over two rooms that are connected to each other. It's got no melodrama and no depth.

DAI does have annoying stupid quests and lots of useless areas but the underlying story is still interesting to me and gives loads of stuff to think about.

My turn to agree with you. World building and a sense of "this is new" is important otherwise you may as well be playing a level pack.

DA:I for it's faults did a lot of world building. ME:A didn't really do a whole lot apart from making me wish I was playing Tomb Raider Underworld after the fifth vault.

When I first did that mining vault on the asteroid planet I'm pretty sure I audibly groaned because I was loving hell not another one, I bet there isn't any plot in this one either. And there wasn't of course because apart from the main story locations nothing matters and there are no remnant related characters to interact with whatsoever. Vaults are just mandatory for colonies and also loot pinatas.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 15, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
one day i hope to be as cool as the 'dragon age 2 was good' crowd

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nichael posted:

I agree with all of this except liking Inquisition's combat.

But I would add the soundtrack to your list of pros in Inquisition compared to Andromeda.

The Dragon Age series has always had good music but Inquisition had a few standout pieces, including what I consider potentially the single greatest track in the whole series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agz8AQhfHZI

With ME:A, it's in the same franchise as ME2 and 3. What the hell happened.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ooh boy. The music in ME:A was so forgettable I forgot about it as a point of comparison. Yeah, it's nothing compared to the emotionally charged music in DA:I.

I can actually listen to tracks from the DA:I OST quite happily and enjoy them. I can't listen to a single track from ME:A without going "what the gently caress is this from?" because it's just soft ambient that waffles and doesn't do anything.

After the very memorable works in the earlier games it's very jarring if you A/B the tracks at random. The new stuff is utter crap.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nichael posted:

Doesn't ME2 have a scene in open space where Miranda is just wearing a breathing mask?

Miranda, Jacob, Samara, Jack, and Kasumi since they all wear the same model of breathing mask. Garrus, Tali, Grunt, and Zaeed all wear full helmets. Mordin and Thane wear breathing masks that cover their entire faces.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you don't have mass effect fields over your eyeballs and vacuum sealed underwear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cythereal posted:

Miranda, Jacob, Samara, Jack, and Kasumi since they all wear the same model of breathing mask. Garrus, Tali, Grunt, and Zaeed all wear full helmets. Mordin and Thane wear breathing masks that cover their entire faces.

I actually don't mind it with the Asari who wear them, because they're aliens after all. Maybe they have a harder tolerance for Vacuum/exotic atmosphere? :shrug:

It is completely stupid having the human characters running around a derelict Reaper in deep space with just a breathing mask though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DancingShade posted:

When I first did that mining vault on the asteroid planet I'm pretty sure I audibly groaned because I was loving hell not another one, I bet there isn't any plot in this one either. And there wasn't of course because apart from the main story locations nothing matters and there are no remnant related characters to interact with whatsoever. Vaults are just mandatory for colonies and also loot pinatas.

Yea maybe meeting a member of the Remnant would have been interesting. I always think of meeting the last dwarf in Morrowind or learning who you were in Baldurs Gate. Andromeda attempts these moments but it's just not there.

That's also part of the reason I wish that we were taking part in a war between two ancient empires - at least it would have been exciting to meet the representatives of those empires, or maybe see what their homeworlds look like or something. Just something weird and amazing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually don't mind it with the Asari who wear them, because they're aliens after all. Maybe they have a harder tolerance for Vacuum/exotic atmosphere? :shrug:

It is completely stupid having the human characters running around a derelict Reaper in deep space with just a breathing mask though.

Jack walking in a toxic atmosphere wearing tattoos and a belt bra made more than a few scenes ridiculous.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Geostomp posted:

Jack walking in a toxic atmosphere wearing tattoos and a belt bra made more than a few scenes ridiculous.

At least with the heavy Biotic characters there was a little bit of "well maybe they are putting mass effect fields around themselves !?!?!" but yeah anything with Jack and space was pretty bad.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

The title music for Andromeda was great I thought.

During the game nothing stands out though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Occasionally you get a plaintive synth note and you're like, "oh, this is a song, this is going somewhere," but then it fades away. The music doesn't really have any confidence in itself and you'd barely notice if it wasn't there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Geostomp posted:

Jack with that DLC costume which included a jacket and wrap around cyberpunk sunglasses was heaps improved over the stock model.

This stuff http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Alternate_Appearance_Packs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Android Blues posted:

The music doesn't really have any confidence in itself and you'd barely notice if it wasn't there.

It's amazing how they managed to unify even the music with the prevailing theme of Andromeda.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's painful how much better ME2 is than MA:A Tombstone Edition.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DancingShade posted:

Jack with that DLC costume which included a jacket and wrap around cyberpunk sunglasses was heaps improved over the stock model.

This stuff http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Alternate_Appearance_Packs

Missed opportunity to complete that appearance pack set by just adding a matching scope over Garrus' other eye.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So.. game .. bad?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

So.. game .. bad?

Game mediocre. I wouldn't go so far as to just call it bad. There's fun bits, they're just too far apart.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Game okay but please stop giving me mission chains that involve going to a planet, then back to the Tempest, then back to the planet, and so on.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

RBA Starblade posted:

Game okay but please stop giving me mission chains that involve going to a planet, then back to the Tempest, then back to the planet, and so on.

Peebee loyalty mission is gunna so much fun bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

So.. game .. bad?

game v bad