Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Actually about peppers, I've got 4 jalapeno plants looking like they're doing well, I think I've been under watering them but how do I tell?

E: leaves aren't floppy but top 1" of soil is dry

The general advice I see to avoid over watering peppers is to wait until the top inch or two is dry before watering, so sounds like you are doing the right thing. Apparently letting them dry out a little can be good for stimulating them to produce more flowers/fruit as well. You can happily let them get to the point the leaves are wilting before watering and they will spring back shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hello friends! learnincurve invited me here to the veg and herb plants thread! Thank you!

I was planting in my container garden earlier today:

I have mostly edibles! All told it's:
two kinds of lavender, two kinds of sage, two kinds of thyme, two kinds of chives, rosemary, cherry tomato, rainbow chard, avocado, ali express (AE) mystery citrus, AE strawberry, sugar snap peas, basil, mustard, AE mystery gourds, AE mystery ?!?. I think we need more cherry tomato and basil.

The only ornamental in there is lithodora. The other part of the garden has sweet potato vines, a wren's nest (warning: not a plant. baby birds/eggs), and Wandering Jew. I've got hops on order.

Nice to meet all of you!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Welcome wren :D

I discovered one of the mythical good guy sellers on the UK eBay today. reasonably priced large strawberry/herb planters that will last a few years be here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRAWBERR...353.m2749.l2649

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

Hello friends! learnincurve invited me here to the veg and herb plants thread! Thank you!

I was planting in my container garden earlier today:

I have mostly edibles! All told it's:
two kinds of lavender, two kinds of sage, two kinds of thyme, two kinds of chives, rosemary, cherry tomato, rainbow chard, avocado, ali express (AE) mystery citrus, AE strawberry, sugar snap peas, basil, mustard, AE mystery gourds, AE mystery ?!?. I think we need more cherry tomato and basil.

The only ornamental in there is lithodora. The other part of the garden has sweet potato vines, a wren's nest (warning: not a plant. baby birds/eggs), and Wandering Jew. I've got hops on order.

Nice to meet all of you!

Hey zone 7 buddy :):hf::)

Let me know how your lavender does. I've never been able to keep my lavender alive in a pot on my balcony.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

kedo posted:

Hey zone 7 buddy :):hf::)

Let me know how your lavender does. I've never been able to keep my lavender alive in a pot on my balcony.

Wooo, represent!

I got both English lavender and French lavender, but the bumble bee looking flowers are the most trendy/popular at my nursery. Valencia, I think? I've never had trouble with lavender in containers the past, but this is my first year in DC! So we'll see!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ebola Dog posted:

The general advice I see to avoid over watering peppers is to wait until the top inch or two is dry before watering, so sounds like you are doing the right thing. Apparently letting them dry out a little can be good for stimulating them to produce more flowers/fruit as well. You can happily let them get to the point the leaves are wilting before watering and they will spring back shortly after.
Yeah, lightly underwatering gives a similar effect to pruning off suckers and stuff, it stresses the plant, causing it to tr to reproduce harder, which means it will put out more fruit.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Hey veg-thread- Tulsa, Oklahoma goon here with a question and some pictures. I have two tomatoes (Cherokee Purple) and a ghost pepper plant that look a bit sick and ravaged; I haven't done a soil test yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong without it.

The tomatoes:

The poor pepper :ohdear:

They're in the same stretch of soil and they're the only plants over there- I have two raised beds and some fence tomatoes on the other side of the yard that are doing fine. This is my first year digging in that soil and it's next to my house.

I'm just so annoyed; ghost pepper plants are hard to find! :argh:

As for the holes- I'm gonna get the insects tomorrow, but I garden organically. I tend to expect a little loss because it's really NOT as effective and easy as pesticides. I make my own repellents, but bugs are jerks and it's been raining incessantly here....also, Wife is severely asthmatic, so no sprays for us.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 16, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ebola Dog posted:

Thanks. I'll post pics later for pruning advice.

Yesterday I found one of my courgette plants had the stem eaten, bastard slugs :argh: in nicer news however my wife had ordered me 5 edible fuchsia berry plugs and they arrived :woop:

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."

Thanks. I'll post pics later for pruning advice.

Yesterday I found one of my courgette plants had the stem eaten, bastard slugs :argh: in nicer news however my wife had ordered me 5 edible fuchsia berry plugs and they arrived :woop:

If they are from Thompson & Morgan, those Fuchsias have pretty flowers but though the berries sort of taste a bit like bland grapes, I found they made my throat feel a bit weird for a few minutes afterwards, almost like they'd been slightly hairy, kind of like a kiwi with a trace of the skin, which is either just a quality of the fruits or a sign I'm slightly allergic to them I guess. Either way, offputting so now I keep them just for the flowers.

Curious how other people find the taste of fuchsia berries.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Why is my jalapeņo pepper plant droopy? Does it need more space or do the leaves just fall since they're too heavy for it?

I'm pretty sure I'm not over-watering it, and while it's maybe TOO hot, I don't think that's the case because the dirt is still a bit humid since the last watering (I water once every 4 days to a week depending on their needs and the heat) and the plants aren't in full sun all the day. Maybe they need more light in that case (they still do get a lot.)

I have several others and none are that droopy, though my other big one is getting there making me think it's a size issue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Promethea posted:

If they are from Thompson & Morgan, those Fuchsias have pretty flowers but though the berries sort of taste a bit like bland grapes, I found they made my throat feel a bit weird for a few minutes afterwards, almost like they'd been slightly hairy, kind of like a kiwi with a trace of the skin, which is either just a quality of the fruits or a sign I'm slightly allergic to them I guess. Either way, offputting so now I keep them just for the flowers.

Curious how other people find the taste of fuchsia berries.

I'll report back in however many months assuming I don't kill them. Worst case I've got a bunch of fuchsia as you say.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Why is my jalapeņo pepper plant droopy? Does it need more space or do the leaves just fall since they're too heavy for it?

I'm pretty sure I'm not over-watering it, and while it's maybe TOO hot, I don't think that's the case because the dirt is still a bit humid since the last watering (I water once every 4 days to a week depending on their needs and the heat) and the plants aren't in full sun all the day. Maybe they need more light in that case (they still do get a lot.)

I have several others and none are that droopy, though my other big one is getting there making me think it's a size issue.

Check out the underside of the leaves, are there little white bits? That's another sign of over watering, cells expanding beyond capacity.
Time of day the photo was taken? They'll droop as the sun/light is nearing the end of day.
Not sure! Doesn't look over heated, I think the leaf fringes start curling upwards. Again...not sure! Looks pretty nice.

Freakbox, my first thought is bacterial wilt but you say it's new ground, so I'm not sure how likely that is. Possibly herbicide? Sorry I'm not much help but I didn't want to leave a pepper hanging. I'd be interested in any breakthroughs...I imagine wiser folk will weigh in, in due time.

Sir Bedevere fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 16, 2017

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hello! I'm happy to have found this thread. For the first time ever, I'm attempting to grow my own vegetables. Here is a picture of how it's going at the moment:

I've got cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and a solitary capsicum in the middle there. The white pipe on the right is a water inlet, as this is a wicking bed. Mr bee built this for us using reclaimed timber from some retaining walls we needed to replace.

So far, everything is going well although I have to spend about ten minutes every morning picking caterpillars off the plants as they seem to be a magnet for the cabbage moths :argh:

We're planning to build a few more wicking beds soon since this one is going great!

bee fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 17, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Hi. I got the bug to plant some stuff last weeks. Doing a hobo garden in plastic tubs. I planted some turnip seeds on Saturday and this morning I wake up to find a whole bunch of tiny specs of green poking through the soil. Feels good.

Edit: ^^^ Looks really nice.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Ok so another newbie question: Do any of you guys have an opinion on whether I should be worried about this yellowing on my pepper plant's leaves?

It's potted in a balcony, gets about 8-9 hours of direct sun a day. Was transplanted into a bigger pot last Thursday, I've been watering it daily. It's been really cloudy and humid the last 3 days or so, today the sun came out and when I came back it looked like this. It doesn't really appear to be sick or anything, but I'm trying to figure out if it's a matter of underwatering it or something.

My other pepper plant looks about the same.

Cherry tomatoes doing fine.

Also, are these little guys ready to be transplanted to individual pots?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yellowing leaves can be a sign of overwatering, and daily watering while it's cloudy and humid sounds like it might be too much. Give it a rest for a day or two and see how it does, imo. You don't want your pepper plants to be absolutely soaked – they do better with moist but not damp or wet soil and (as other people have previously pointed out), allowing them to dry out a bit between waterings will actually encourage flowering/fruiting.

Next time before you water it do this:

1) Does the top soil in the pot still look wet? If so you probably don't need to water it.
2) Regardless, stick your index finger into the soil as deep as it'll go. If below the surface the soil is wet or damp, definitely don't water. If it's only slightly moist, give it a little (but not too much!) water.
3) If it's bone dry, give it a good soak.

If the pot is sitting in a saucer make sure it doesn't have wet feet – unless you put a layer of inorganic material at the bottom of the pot the soil will wick up any standing water and it'll never have a chance to dry out.

e: Also, as odd as it seems peppers can get too much sun. If the leaves continue to turn more solidly yellow and fall off, you're definitely overwatering. The yellowing occurs because the plant is stressed and doing damage control by killing off leaves it can't support (usually from the bottom up). On the other hand, if the yellowing leaves start to turn brown and crispy, they're probably getting too much sun or not enough water.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 19, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Came out to a surprise inside of my anti-bird&squirrel tomato cage:

The adults can't get through but the fledglings can! Which is great because the parents were pissed and trying to swoop me when I caught the guy to toss him out.

But lookit the cute little smug jerk.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've got a weakling tomato plant, broccoli, (newborn cherry tomato,) and green pepper plant in 6 inch pots since last week, all still growing fairly quickly. Should I think about transferring them into my grow bags this weekend?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That's about the cutest tomato trellis I've ever seen.

Shifty Pony posted:

But lookit the cute little smug jerk.

Birds! :argh:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Deer ate every single start I put out this year. Guess I do need that fence. :argh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

indigi posted:

I've got a weakling tomato plant, broccoli, (newborn cherry tomato,) and green pepper plant in 6 inch pots since last week, all still growing fairly quickly. Should I think about transferring them into my grow bags this weekend?

pot on to their final home when they are as big as your fist :)

Until I started on this new house new garden new allotment journey, I honestly had no clue just how much my grandad had taught me as a child. I did spend every weekend for my first 15 years gardening with the man, so it's a surprise to literally no one else in my family but me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

2 out of 3 courgette plants eaten by bastarding bugs. :argh:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Has anyone done hops from seed? Any tips? I know the regular propagation technique is rhizomes but the seeds were so cheap that I thought I'd try it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

WrenP-Complete posted:

Has anyone done hops from seed? Any tips? I know the regular propagation technique is rhizomes but the seeds were so cheap that I thought I'd try it.

I've never even *heard* of it (but mostly because variety/breed are so key to hops).

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hubis posted:

I've never even *heard* of it (but mostly because variety/breed are so key to hops).

I'm soaking seeds overnight and will go from there! :science:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It has been raining here and the tomatoes are going into overdrive.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh god I'm so envious, those tomatoes are splendid. Here in Seattle we've finally crossed the 50°F low-line and I actually have a single cherry tomato the size of an English pea finally developing.

The rest will catch up, it practically rained cherry tomatoes on my porch last year, but when I see you sunny-climed tomato-parents raking in the huge beefsteaks already I just want to CRY

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

elise the great posted:

Oh god I'm so envious, those tomatoes are splendid. Here in Seattle we've finally crossed the 50°F low-line and I actually have a single cherry tomato the size of an English pea finally developing.

The rest will catch up, it practically rained cherry tomatoes on my porch last year, but when I see you sunny-climed tomato-parents raking in the huge beefsteaks already I just want to CRY

Yup, were just north of Seattle and we just put our tomatoes outside this weekend. It's been a brutally wet and chilly winter.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

indigi posted:

If the foliage is broader than the pot, you need a bigger pot.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

WrenP-Complete posted:

My understanding with hops is that they're like apples- you can grow them from seed but you never know if what you end up growing will be usable for your needs. Having said that, though, in a timely twist I've just been reading "The Homebrewer's Garden" and they do mention that there are plenty of wild and/or feral hops that have escaped from previous beermaking areas. Your results from brewing with these hops is less predictable than with established cultivars, which can be bad if you're going for a particular style of beer but good if you want something truly unique.

Also it's my understanding that hops are dioecious, with hop cones borne on only female plants. Rhizomes are guaranteed to be the same as the parent (female) but seeds could grow up to be either. Hops grown for brewing are generally only females with no males nearby so they don't put effort into filling the cones with seeds, which can change the flavor of the beer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Related question: anyone grown strawberries from seed? Is it worth it? I want to try a few weird and wonderful varieties but they get expensive.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Marchegiana posted:

My understanding with hops is that they're like apples- you can grow them from seed but you never know if what you end up growing will be usable for your needs. Having said that, though, in a timely twist I've just been reading "The Homebrewer's Garden" and they do mention that there are plenty of wild and/or feral hops that have escaped from previous beermaking areas. Your results from brewing with these hops is less predictable than with established cultivars, which can be bad if you're going for a particular style of beer but good if you want something truly unique.

Also it's my understanding that hops are dioecious, with hop cones borne on only female plants. Rhizomes are guaranteed to be the same as the parent (female) but seeds could grow up to be either. Hops grown for brewing are generally only females with no males nearby so they don't put effort into filling the cones with seeds, which can change the flavor of the beer.
Oooh, sounds exciting. I love a plant mystery adventure! The seed pack was only ten cents, and I wanted hops because I saw it growing at a pub and thought it looks pretty...

Re: strawberries, I've always grown from starts before but am growing blue strawberries from China this year. The plants are growing but no berries yet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I will be astonished if they're blue.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I will be astonished if they're blue.

Same; in this case I think it was like 14 cents for 200 seeds. My entertainment is pretty cheap :)

Tomato plants fell down in the storm. About to repair my trellis once I've had some tea.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol I have the black ones coming.

I'm also not sure if the lovely blue grass I'm lovingly growing from seed, that in all fairness did come from a reputable seller, is not lawn grass.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh I want all the colour strawberries, I just can't bring myself to believe adverts like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182484827481

I did pick up some super deep-discounted sweet colossus last year that have between them about 50 flowers right now, if he internet is to be believed I'm in for egg-sized fruits :haw: there's also some darker cherry-berry I'm letting establish this year hoping for a decent crop next year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want the weird coloured roses but I know in my heart if hearts that it's photoshop because if it wasn't they have been sold long enough to make their way to Chelsea or the garden centres.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I want the weird coloured roses but I know in my heart if hearts that it's photoshop because if it wasn't they have been sold long enough to make their way to Chelsea or the garden centres.

Which weird ones? I used to live by an international rose test garden, where they try out new varieties, which was lots of fun.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
China are selling rainbow roses from seed, reality is that they are photoshop or made with this method: https://www.lovethegarden.com/community/ideas-inspiration/rainbow-roses-are-they-real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

learnincurve posted:

China are selling rainbow roses from seed, reality is that they are photoshop or made with this method: https://www.lovethegarden.com/community/ideas-inspiration/rainbow-roses-are-they-real

Oh, cool, I've never seen that before!