Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It was a pretty great (by which I mean dark and extremely awkward) moment when you listen to the recording of yourself overseeing the very experiment that killed your ex love interest's father
(assuming I haven't got the various characters mixed up)

I hit the delete recording button without a second thought and walked out of deep storage whistling innocently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ambaire posted:

Not possible. Triggering the self destruct fails the other quest and disables the console for activating it. I'd forgotten I had a save at the bridge with both pre-objectives completed.. useful, though.
Ah, ok. Then it was the game's clunkiness that after I turned the self-destruct on, Elazar called Morgan to tell him that she'll kill him if he goes for the nullwave. Another example of a similiar thing was the 'with this ring' sidequest - I came back to tell the guy that his wife is dead, he griefed but then the first thing he said after the quest finished was 'maybe I could get to the crew quarters and see if my wife is ok'.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 15, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DancingShade posted:

It was a pretty great (by which I mean dark and extremely awkward) moment when you listen to the recording of yourself overseeing the very experiment that killed your ex love interest's father

I hit the delete recording button without a second thought and walked out of deep storage whistling innocently.
Well, let me tell you that it gets even more awkward when you send it to her because she insists that it would be a great bonding moment if you listened to it together! I actually think that this quest would have been more powerful if there was no option to play the audio file on your own. Dr. Igwe already warns you that you were involved so it should be a choice between deleting it blind and never knowing what happened in detail or risking sending it in order to hear the truth.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 15, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Palpek posted:

Well, let me tell you that it gets even more awkward when you send it to her because she insists that it would be a great bonding moment if you listened to it together! I actually think that this quest would have been more powerful if there was no option to play the audio file on your own. Dr. Igwe already warns you that you were involved so it should be a choice between deleting it blind and never knowing what happened in detail or risking sending it in order to hear the truth.

I listened to it in deep storage, sent it to her, then listened to it again, because dammit, she needed closure, no matter how much she hates Morgan after.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, I did the same. That entire questline is great and really goes to the deep end of what kind of monstrosities were done to 'volunteers' on the station. The conversations between Mikhaila and Igwe are also worth a listen because it's insane how desensitized the guy is and then you discover that the original Morgan was pretty ok with it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

Hoooly poo poo :stare:

Is there a button to slowly retreat into your own spacesuit when that happens?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No but you can always chuck a recycler grenade at the floor and kill yourself and that might make you feel better!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

No but you can always chuck a recycler grenade at the floor and kill yourself and that might make you feel better!
I love the lab that has an organic sphere on display with a plaque reading, roughly, "this cube is all that remains of the part of my foot that got caught in a recycler field. Be careful in the lab kids!"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It feels like the biggest problem with the Nightmare is that the maps are way too small for it.

Like, it always spawns in front of you when you enter a map and even if it didn't, you're always like 10 meters away from the nearest map exit so it would never pose a threat of any kind.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The real nightmare in this game is the credits music.

I have it stuck on my head. Is not even that catchy. Is just.. I dunno, some music Kraftwerk would have in his car in 1986 to play while speeding at 220 Km/h in the autobahn.

Pls send help.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That's easy - just go listen to the helicopter intro song a few times and get addicted to that one instead.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Nightmare should have been a faster/tougher phantom with all the Typhon powers so you can't defeat it by walking into a small room. Imagine if that Medkit turned into a phantom who immediately summoned another phantom from a corpse then set you on fire.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

The Nightmare should have been a faster/tougher phantom with all the Typhon powers so you can't defeat it by walking into a small room. Imagine if that Medkit turned into a phantom who immediately summoned another phantom from a corpse then set you on fire.

This, but it's also immune to psychoshock.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So how many endings are there? I went with the save the ship option and it just kinda... ends.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spudd posted:

So how many endings are there? I went with the save the ship option and it just kinda... ends.

iirc there are four...ish. What you really should do is watch the credits, though.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Yup gently caress I posted while the credits were playing, my bad.

The animations for shaking Alex's hand were hilariously bad.

I know of three endings: Blowing Talos up, Nullwavin' the Typhon and Escaping in Alex's Escape Pod (which kinda spoils really early on if you go for it ASAP that you're in an experiment) what's the fourth-ish?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Spudd posted:

I know of three endings: Blowing Talos up, Nullwavin' the Typhon and Escaping in Alex's Escape Pod (which kinda spoils really early on if you go for it ASAP that you're in an experiment) what's the fourth-ish?

Team up with Dahl and kill everybody.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Team up with Dahl and kill everybody.

Holy poo poo no way I'm doing a new playthrough right the gently caress now.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Is there any way to deal with the leaky radioactive canisters?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Be environmentally responsible. Recycle them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's hard to tell what to count as a seperate ending honestly. For example there's also a different cinematic when you trigger the self-destruct mechanism and stay on the station vs trigger the mechanism and escape. But is that a separate ending? I don't think so.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Is there any way to deal with the leaky radioactive canisters?

Is there a tool that might be used to remove objects and maybe convert them into something else?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
rear end. It's not obvious what the recycler charges will and won't affect.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Palpek posted:

It's hard to tell what to count as a seperate ending honestly. For example there's also a different cinematic when you trigger the self-destruct mechanism and stay on the station vs trigger the mechanism and escape. But is that a separate ending? I don't think so.

Yeah, imo, the endings are when you get judged by alex and the operators after the credits, which is based on the events of the entire game, not just the last 10 minutes.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Regarding January's containment policy Morgan's past self wants me to destroy Talos because if just one cell gets back to Earth, life is doomed because the Typhon are like the Thing or something. This should already be a lost cause because some mimics have probably reached Earth by stowing away on Earth-bound shuttles. So there's no point destroying Talos or that shuttle because the Typhon are already on Earth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also I love the secret achievement for one of the endings: Awkward Ride Home. Where you kill everybody except for Dahl and escape with him piloting the shuttle. I didn't go for that one but the name is perfect.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Where in the station can I find the full life history of Volunteer 37?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Kurzon posted:

rear end. It's not obvious what the recycler charges will and won't affect.

Yeah. That's why you should chuck them at everything that looks remotely interesting and in need of getting its rear end compressed. You're a loving famous scientist, get to it! :science:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Kurzon posted:

Regarding January's containment policy Morgan's past self wants me to destroy Talos because if just one cell gets back to Earth, life is doomed because the Typhon are like the Thing or something. This should already be a lost cause because some mimics have probably reached Earth by stowing away on Earth-bound shuttles. So there's no point destroying Talos or that shuttle because the Typhon are already on Earth.

If think he neuromods are a popular product back in earth. Like actors and rich people have already many of then inyected in the brains.

Maybe I have misremembering, but somebody talked about a actor changed personality after using a neuromod.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's probably been mentioned in the thread somewhere, is there any workaround to the bug in the cargo bay where you're supposed to defend a doorway, and it never registers that all the typhon are dead?

The dude wouldn't open the door to let me bring turrets into cargo bay 2, I assume that's what you're talking about?

Shock him unconscious and steal his keycard to open the door. Nobody gets mad.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Another cool bit of consistency: After you do the LG touch calibration, you will notice it is the LG labs in the mirrors. Go back there and if you hadn't broken any screens before and do a window diagnostic, it says that one of them is now broken. Though I couldn't really tell if a glass was physically broken, I was pretty tired at the time. But I thought it was cool.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DancingShade posted:

that whole questline was fantastic and I did not expect things to go that dark. Really puts the research--and myself--into horrifying perspective. It's a side mission that I hope many people see through to the end because it seems like such an important plot point.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Alternative...
If you let her ear the recording... at first she is angry at you, but finally cope with it. She rationalize it has "you are a different person now"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tei posted:

Alternative...
If you let her ear the recording... at first she is angry at you, but finally cope with it. She rationalize it has "you are a different person now"

I didn't get that, I just got an angry outburst and a "don't talk to me ever" which is justified of course but idk how you got a different reaction

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Her initial reaction is what you describe. She calls you later on during the game though, maybe you're not far enough yet.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
One ending has 4 permutations. The self destruct one. If you stay on the station versus if you take the escape pod and if you did the Dahl sidequest to brainwipe him and then they got to the shuttle. Stay on station, everyone dies. Stay on station, watch shuttle escape. Take escape pod, everyone dies? Take shuttle with survivors and escape. I never managed to find a working escape pod, though.

Palpek posted:

Also I love the secret achievement for one of the endings: Awkward Ride Home. Where you kill everybody except for Dahl and escape with him piloting the shuttle. I didn't go for that one but the name is perfect.

That's a thing? I heard that 'ending' was actually a trap and Dahl would try to kill you anyway.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ambaire posted:

That's a thing? I heard that 'ending' was actually a trap and Dahl would try to kill you anyway.
Not if you brainwash Dahl first. This requires keeping Igwe alive for the procedure and only then killing him. This way Dahl doesn't remember his mission and pilots the shuttle.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

Her initial reaction is what you describe. She calls you later on during the game though, maybe you're not far enough yet.

This was the one quest in the game where I was like, "Oh man, Prey, you are really stretching the limits of this silent protagonist thing."

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Tei posted:

Alternative...
I deleted it. I figured that even if she forgave me, she would like me less. If she didn't, she might try to stab me in the back at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This was the one quest in the game where I was like, "Oh man, Prey, you are really stretching the limits of this silent protagonist thing."

Reminded me of the heavier moments in Half-life 2, where characters would pour their heart out, and Gordan would just be all, O_O