Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Even then it wasn't entirely graceful--without August Derleth, possibly none of us would ever have read Lovecraft, but Lovecraft fans are super salty at him for writing stories that "clarified" Lovecraft's creations into pantheons of good and evil gods.

He also tried to pass off his own stories as being co-written by Lovecraft when they weren't, like The Dark Brotherhood. They're also generally really bad stories with stuff like multiple aliens walking around Baltimore in Edgar Allen Poe suits. Most weird fiction is rough and often terribly racist by today's standards but his are just badly written in a hack kind of way.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's one very particular thing Derleth did repeatedly in his Lovecraft pastiche that bugs the poo poo out of me: the narrator describes a "crude," "primitive" idol which nonetheless contains an incredible amount of detail in, like, a tiny figurine. Even Lin Carter, whose Lovecraft pastiche was howlingly bad much of the time, steered clear of that.

The funny thing is, Derleth's stories are better models for a Call of Cthulhu game than Lovecraft's originals: they often feature characters who have to do such-and-such to stop such-and-such from opening a portal to let the Outer Gods in to destroy the world.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I should have added that STR and CON should also be combined in 4e. Really, STR only deserves to be its own stat if you're playing Very Oldest School D&D 0e, where the game takes place almost entirely in the dungeon, and Melee To-Hit and Door Opening are vital components of the game. Because that's all STR does.

So now that you mention it, a really common thing in Fantasy Heartbreakers is that they recognize problems with the way AD&D handles character stats, but they can't quite bear to break with tradition. So instead of point-buy, they have really idiosyncratic stat-rolling, and instead of minimizing or eliminating ability scores, they introduce a bunch of new derived values that normalize the effective values and results. Just combining ability scores and saving throws makes more sense.

Way back when i did my 4e heartbreaker for the contest i killed ability scores off and had fort/ref/will be derived from the skills one took which included might which was basically str check the skill

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

The funny thing is, Derleth's stories are better models for a Call of Cthulhu game than Lovecraft's originals: they often feature characters who have to do such-and-such to stop such-and-such from opening a portal to let the Outer Gods in to destroy the world.

Well, its easy to forget how much Call of Cthulhu is very much a cherry-picking of Mythos material up until that point, to the point where they include the cthonians from The Burrowers Beneath and then go on to essentially ignore most of the book otherwise. (It's hard to blame Petersen for that, I just wonder why Lumley's work was included at all.)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Let's be honest here, it was profoundly lucky that CoC was done by who it was as early as it was. Peterson is still one of the more talented figures in the industry, and Stafford's Chaosium was the perfect place to foster him.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 15, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, its easy to forget how much Call of Cthulhu is very much a cherry-picking of Mythos material up until that point, to the point where they include the cthonians from The Burrowers Beneath and then go on to essentially ignore most of the book otherwise. (It's hard to blame Petersen for that, I just wonder why Lumley's work was included at all.)

Because the Cthonians are neat and nothing else from that book is.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Haystack posted:

Let's be honest here, it was profoundly lucky that CoC was done by who it was as early as it was.

I don't think you'd get the levels of Lovecraft fandom that you have today, without the RPG. Just like D&D taxonomised fantasy and made "generic" fantasy popular, there are very few Lovecraftian writers who teens/children in that era who were not influenced by CoC. Look up the bibliographies and interviews of authors, you'll find it lurking around there.

The problem is that few people want to acknowledge its influence, like S.T. Joshi, as it's a vulgar non-literary appreciation of Lovecraft, not really rooted in his prose.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

fez_machine posted:

not really rooted in his prose.

This can only be a good thing surely?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This can only be a good thing surely?

Not if your academic reputation is staked on a particular author being worth studying. S. T. Joshi reps quite a bit for the quality of Lovecraft's prose.

But yeah, that's what 1970s and 80s RPGs did they rendered down their influences into a slurry that could be re-ingested/interpreted and commanded by the reader/player, never mind the original quality of the influence.

GURPS is probably the apotheosis of here's a thing but taxonomised, what other use could exist for a Callahan's Crosstime Saloon RPG, or GURPS New Sun (which is essentially a reading guide/scholar's notes).

I have a theory that one of the hidden attractions of RPGs are that they function as a kind of TV-Tropes before TV-Tropes, they just rip apart nerd poo poo into its basic components. Hell, have a look at things like Hamlet's Hitpoints (for a recent example) or how heavily influenced Greg Stafford (one of the co-founders of Chaosium, publisher of CoC) was by Joseph Campbell/Structuralist Anthropology.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

S.T. "Henry" Joshi

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I would say Arthurian legend has sprawled out and spawned a lot of pretty good creations even in the modern day--and a lot of crap, of course. I mean, assuming we count Malory as the original creator (which is sort of dicey) many others came after and made something bigger out of the concept. It's in sort of a unique place though, being a thousand years old with a thousand different authors.

Sherlock Holmes is another canon that seems enriched by later contributions. A common thread with Lovecraft and Sherlock Holmes is that both are popular and beloved, and also in the public domain, so even a flashy failure doesn't have to forestall another attempt at a remake.

Also S T Joshi flounced off hilariously when the World Fantasy Award decided a bust of Lovecraft wasn't a good representation for the values of the genre anymore.

ETA: That's not true below, there are several kinds of legit non-Euclidean geometry, they're just mostly reserved for extreme math nerds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Geometry is Euclidian. You can't have non-Euclidian geometry.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Not with that attitude.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

I would say Arthurian legend has sprawled out and spawned a lot of pretty good creations even in the modern day--and a lot of crap, of course. I mean, assuming we count Malory as the original creator (which is sort of dicey) many others came after and made something bigger out of the concept. It's in sort of a unique place though, being a thousand years old with a thousand different authors.

The Fate/Stay Night extended universe is far superior than the original Arthurian Mythos

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, you sweet summer child.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

occamsnailfile posted:

Sherlock Holmes is another canon that seems enriched by later contributions. A common thread with Lovecraft and Sherlock Holmes is that both are popular and beloved, and also in the public domain, so even a flashy failure doesn't have to forestall another attempt at a remake.

Also S T Joshi flounced off hilariously when the World Fantasy Award decided a bust of Lovecraft wasn't a good representation for the values of the genre anymore.

ETA: That's not true below, there are several kinds of legit non-Euclidean geometry, they're just mostly reserved for extreme math nerds.

Janos Bolyai's definitely an extreme math nerd, for nineties values of extreme.

quote:

It is related of him that he was challenged by thirteen officers of his garrison, a thing not unlikely to happen considering how differently he thought from everyone else. He fought them all in succession – making it his only condition that he should be allowed to play on his violin for an interval between meeting each opponent. He disarmed or wounded all his antagonists. It can be easily imagined that a temperament such as his was not one congenial to his military superiors. He was retired in 1833.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

occamsnailfile posted:

The funny thing is that whenever I read an excerpt from Joshi, he's ragging on Lovecraft for his plotting and style, which displeases some rabid fans.

Robert M. Price, the editor of Chaosium's fiction anthologies, also gets heat for saying that Lovecraft's godlike entities are not entirely sui generis and have some precedent in world mythology and literature.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Nope

Nope

Still nope

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Counterpoint: My uncle was eaten by the Hounds of Tindalos.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

occamsnailfile posted:

I'm not really fond of the BBC treatment of Holmes playing up his crippling inability to socialize (with House MD being the harbinger) and loving up all of his relationships. Canon Holmes was "eccentric", but he wasn't a goon. He founded the Baker Street Irregulars for crying out loud.

The Robert Downey Jr. movies were, in my opinion, a better depiction.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

The funny thing is that whenever I read an excerpt from Joshi, he's ragging on Lovecraft for his plotting and style, which displeases some rabid fans.

Robert M. Price, the editor of Chaosium's fiction anthologies, also gets heat for saying that Lovecraft's godlike entities are not entirely sui generis and have some precedent in world mythology and literature.

I've read stuff from Joshi that was interesting and insightful even, he just has this territorial streak where only he gets to criticize Lovecraft, everyone else just "doesn't properly understand his works" and so on. This makes him mild to middling insufferable at least when he's writing about anyone else writing about Lovecraft.

Price is right as well, but it doesn't surprise me that fans take any suggestion of what they perceive as criticism personally. It's what nerds do after all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I never saw an original new story to the Holmes canon that surpasses Conan Doyle's stuff though. Maybe some pastiches by Leblanc where Lupin trolls Holmes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arsene Lupin has never crossed paths with Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps you're thinking about Herlock Sholmes, or even Hemlock Shears?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

occamsnailfile posted:

I've read stuff from Joshi that was interesting and insightful even, he just has this territorial streak where only he gets to criticize Lovecraft, everyone else just "doesn't properly understand his works" and so on. This makes him mild to middling insufferable at least when he's writing about anyone else writing about Lovecraft.

Price is right as well, but it doesn't surprise me that fans take any suggestion of what they perceive as criticism personally. It's what nerds do after all.
Geeks in general have this weird paradox where they want their favourite stuff to be recognized as high art, but because they aren't as smart or studious as they think they are, they don't realize that that entails serious criticism.

Of course academic criticism means you also have to deal with people like ST Joshi.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Arsene Lupin has never crossed paths with Sherlock Holmes. Perhaps you're thinking about Herlock Sholmes, or even Hemlock Shears?

Not bad.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

occamsnailfile posted:

To be fair, anybody with a Ph.D in a certain field is going to get very territorial considering the amount of time and specialization that getting a Ph.D entails. They're likely to see anyone without the same level of academic rigor as amateur hacks whose additions to the field, in their view, detract from it as a whole and make his job harder.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

LuiCypher posted:

To be fair, anybody with a Ph.D in a certain field is going to get very territorial considering the amount of time and specialization that getting a Ph.D entails. They're likely to see anyone without the same level of academic rigor as amateur hacks whose additions to the field, in their view, detract from it as a whole and make his job harder.

"I was into molecular biology before it was cool. Now, every John, Dick, and Harry are running around like they understand molecular biology. Can't they concede me as the superior ubermench from which all knowledge should be derived?"

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

LuiCypher posted:

To some degree this is true, but I know other PhDs in literary areas with a lot less ego about the whole enterprise. I mean, we should respect expertise, and getting a PhD is a lot of work. Whatever one may think of the profit involved in the enterprise, these are folks who bothered themselves to learn something very deeply and I get pretty annoyed by people who dismiss the opinions of experts as "just some academic with a piece of paper." It's a really lovely way of dismissing inconvenient truths that our society needs to stop doing.

On the other hand, the literary PhDs I knew personally are a lot better at handling clueless commentary as a possible teaching moment, or just picking their battles. I imagine to some degree it's just a matter of personality. Where does expert opinion end and ego begin? I don't even think Joshi is terrible in this regard, but he managed to luck himself into a specialization that can be both popular and seen as 'legitimate literature' so he gets read by more people outside the field than is normal. This does mean he'll have to deal with some really clueless nerds who think TVTropes has something useful to say about Lovecraft's work but he also dismisses more legitimate concerns even from other academics pretty freely. So. IDK. :shrug:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Waffleman_ posted:

I learned in Persona 5 that the first publishing did have Holmes, but when Conan-Doyle complained it was changed for later ones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To be fair to the academics, there's good reason for them to jealously guard their methodology, as terms like "cultural Marxism" and "virtue signaling" get perverted to mean something very different from their original and obscure meaning when are popularized.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Elfface posted:

I learned in Persona 5 that the first publishing did have Holmes, but when Conan-Doyle complained it was changed for later ones.

'Twas the joke!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Someone has never had to answer a maths question that began with the phrase, "Describe a universe"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DalaranJ posted:

Someone has never had to answer a maths question that began with the phrase, "Describe a universe"

"Mostly empty, without purpose, destined to undergo heat death."

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

DalaranJ posted:

Shaped like a dry toilet, filled with snakes

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Shaped like a dry toilet, filled with snakes

And that, my friend, is how you get parallel lines to intersect. Lots and lots of snakes.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair to the academics, there's good reason for them to jealously guard their methodology, as terms like "cultural Marxism" and "virtue signaling" get perverted to mean something very different from their original and obscure meaning when are popularized.

"Cultural Marxism" has always been a wild eyed conspiracy theory about the Frankfurt school, as best I can tell.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Covok posted:

"Mostly empty, without purpose, destined to undergo heat death."

Infinite monkeys, all arguing about verisimilitude as described through the lens of 3.5e rules.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Plutonis posted:

S.T. "Henry" Joshi

Waffleman_ posted:

c'mon guys

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BrainParasite posted:

"Cultural Marxism" has always been a wild eyed conspiracy theory about the Frankfurt school, as best I can tell.

Yeah, until recently this was a phrase that was only thrown around by Holocaust deniers and other people of that ilk. It's only gotten widespread use because the Tea Party people adopted it to make their ideology more appealing and intelligent sounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
that vendiagram is a circle

• Locked thread