Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

It's 500 coins in the greed machine for greedier mode .. and it's 1000 to unlock The Keeper as a playable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Tumbleseed...is good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has anyone beaten it yet? I almost made it to 300 feet... once. Generally I'm most successful if I decide to take my time and murder everything that can be murdered.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Devoyniche posted:

So it's still super hard to find a switch. Apparently Mario Kart 8 did very very well. I think it's a bunch of people who were seeing games they wanted to buy come out on the Wii U, and then going "Well I dont want to buy a Wii U JUST for that game" so Wii U was in the catch 22 of nobody wanted it because it "didnt have enough" and nobody was making games for it because nobody had one, even though they were making a bunch of pretty good looking games for it. Do any of you think that Nintendo might do what they've done with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and just repackage some of the Wii U Greatest Hits bundled with maybe DLC, just to dip into the market of people who wanted those?

It's actually pretty drat likely we'll see more WiiU games on it, considering it's getting a "Definitive Edition" of Rayman Legends. Lego City Undercover kinda counts too, but it's a multi-platform release so that one's kind of a wash I guess :shrug: (It's also fantastic and well worth a play). They're nice padding for a launch year, and a good portion of the Switch playerbase potentially haven't played them.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This isn't really apropos of anything other than just general Zelda talk, but I think it would be cool if there were cities in the next game, connected by subway tunnels that have fallen into disuse and have become haunted. You can clear these at any time, but it's a difficult task for the unprepared, as these tunnels are full of Redeads and Skulltulla queens, and worse.

Just play metro 2033

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Devoyniche posted:

TL;DR: Basically Im asking if people think the Switch will do well, and this being hard to find is kinda like the Wii being hard to find (Wal Mart is selling Switch consoles at ebay prices, $499 according to their website), or is this "new console excitement", and it will eventually die down and the Switch will fall off? But certainly it's doing better than the Wii U, right? I didnt bother to check because I didnt want a Wii U but were they still this annoying to find a few months after launch? They werent moving that many units that they were selling out week after week just 2 months after launch were they?
That's not Wal-Mart, though. It's a third party seller via their website.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Devoyniche posted:

TL;DR: Basically Im asking if people think the Switch will do well, and this being hard to find is kinda like the Wii being hard to find (Wal Mart is selling Switch consoles at ebay prices, $499 according to their website), or is this "new console excitement", and it will eventually die down and the Switch will fall off? But certainly it's doing better than the Wii U, right? I didnt bother to check because I didnt want a Wii U but were they still this annoying to find a few months after launch? They werent moving that many units that they were selling out week after week just 2 months after launch were they?

Unless Nintendo completely pratfalls on their face the Switch will do well. It's a Nintendo handheld with incredibly convenient TV-out, and with their entire software development pipeline unified into a single system. Meanwhile in Japan it's going to inherit all the 3rd party efforts that the 3DS and the Vita had in the West it's already getting a lot of indie love plus whatever scraps the big Western 3rd parties will throw it. Whether it's a 3DS or Wii level performance is the real question (I don't think it'll ever do DS or PS2 numbers though, but I'd love to be proven wrong).

As for the Wii U you could find those things everywhere after the launch month. I believe in Europe their shipment numbers were at one point negative because retailers were refusing to accept new orders and in fact sending back surplus stock.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pureauthor posted:

with their entire software development pipeline unified into a single system.

new 2ds is out soon. i don't think they are unifying anything just yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Unless Nintendo completely pratfalls on their face the Switch will do well. It's a Nintendo handheld with incredibly convenient TV-out, and with their entire software development pipeline unified into a single system. Meanwhile in Japan it's going to inherit all the 3rd party efforts that the 3DS and the Vita had in the West it's already getting a lot of indie love plus whatever scraps the big Western 3rd parties will throw it. Whether it's a 3DS or Wii level performance is the real question (I don't think it'll ever do DS or PS2 numbers though, but I'd love to be proven wrong).

Not even the "scraps", it's reputedly built on some actually-sane hardware with no complex gimmicks like the WiiU Gamepad so it's not a wretched bitch to code for.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Walmart had the base Switch at MSRP, like, 2 days ago. You gotta monitor Now In Stock and other sites like that. There's also a Twitter account you can follow. GameStop seems to get them fairly regularly, but they are bundles. I hope I can get one before E3. I'm kinda locked into getting it on Amazon because I have enough bux to get it for free there.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If the Switch gets all the games that would've come out on Vita/3DS (especially Pokemon and Monster Hunter), all the major indie games, has good virtual console support, and gets a steady stream of Nintendo first party stuff then I will probably consider it the best console ever.

IDGAF about the Battlefronts and Assassins Creeds of the world. I've got a PC for that stuff.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not even the "scraps", it's reputedly built on some actually-sane hardware with no complex gimmicks like the WiiU Gamepad so it's not a wretched bitch to code for.

Also it's fully compatible with the latest versions of Unity and Unreal Engine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vikar Jerome posted:

The new games they've announced for 3DS this year are pretty much all ports, third party partnerships, small eShop type titles, or already in development for a long time. I think the New 2DS is akin to the GBA Micro.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

They need to keep the 2DS alive for at least another year as a precaution and also good-will to third parties that were developing games for it already. Don't expect to see much of the DS line in 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Gameboy Micro came out after the DS, a cheap redesign on a system you're not planning to support for too much longer is something Nintendo has done before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The new games they've announced for 3DS this year are pretty much all ports, third party partnerships, small eShop type titles, or already in development for a long time. I think the New 2DS is akin to the GBA Micro.

e3's gonna be the real factor over whether it's actually dying out this year or not. It's still got some legs on it for a while though, just for being relatively cheap compared to a Switch and having a pretty good-sized library available.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Pureauthor posted:

I hear they're making a Pokemon TCG app and if that turns out to be true I will be all over that and will most likely end up spending shameful amounts of money on that poo poo.

I don't think you can spend money in the game itself, but if you buy physical cards, they should all come with codes to either unlock the deck you bought (or a deck) or boosters will give you an in-game booster. So really, it's a great value if you're really into the TCG stuff.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
3DS/2DS still needs to exist as Nintendo's budget option. USD 300 is most likely still causing some people to shrug and wait on getting the Switch. (Like me)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

e3's gonna be the real factor over whether it's actually dying out this year or not. It's still got some legs on it for a while though, just for being relatively cheap compared to a Switch and having a pretty good-sized library available.

It's absolutely worth owning.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It's interesting how selling a new system in March actually worked out really well. Comparing demand of the Switch to the Wii doesn't take into account that the Wii was released during holiday season. I'm curious how well the Switch will do when people are actually in the mood to toss down some cash for expensive electronics.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i am going to buy a new 2ds and play virtual console games at release in portable.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I kinda expect the 3DS / 3DSXL to quietly stop showing up in stores towards the end of this year as the 2DSXL unifies the DS line for 2018 and 2019. I don't think there'll be many exclusive DS games showing Q3 2019. Maybe some shovelware and mobile ports and weird collections, that sorta stuff.

Switch is not quite cheap enough to be the 'everyone has one' that the DS line is. By the time the DS games are finally stopped hopefully the Switch is everywhere like the DS Lite and 3DS were.

They're not gonna drop the DS line while it's still printing 3D money, but they'll definitely find a way to reduce manufacturing costs as they slowly transition to Switch being the single system.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

Gameboy Micro came out after the DS, a cheap redesign on a system you're planning to not support for too much longer is something Nintendo has done before.

Yeah, they did the same thing with the Wii Mini (which I had forgotten about until just now). They've also stopped repair services for the original 3DS models, so yeah, the 3DS is dead, long live the 3DS.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, they did the same thing with the Wii Mini (which I had forgotten about until just now). They've also stopped repair services for the original 3DS models, so yeah, the 3DS is dead, long live the 3DS.

The red wii mini? Wasnt that a Canada only thing? I saw one in a charity shop in Scotland and didn't bother buying it, kinda wish I did now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macarius Wrench posted:

The red wii mini? Wasnt that a Canada only thing? I saw one in a charity shop in Scotland and didn't bother buying it, kinda wish I did now.

North America and Europe, yeah.

[Edit: it's kinda useless because it can only play Wii disks. Neat collector's item, I suppose, but these days you can probably pick up a used original Wii for less than a Wii Mini.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 15, 2017

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
The 2DS XL is my dream 3DS, I just can't justify buying another one since my N3DSXL is practically new and my Switch is awesome. I'm an impulsive baby so I'll probably still buy it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The guys who hate BotW are probably also the same guys who played Ocarina of Time when they were 8 and can't let go of the fact it's not the best game ever let alone one of the best Zelda games.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What makes the 2DS XL better than a New 3DS XL? Aside from no 3D there's some cosmetic changes and it's cheaper, but did it improve anything?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rad Valtar posted:

The guys who hate BotW are probably also the same guys who played Ocarina of Time when they were 8 and can't let go of the fact it's not the best game ever let alone one of the best Zelda games.

same but Majora's Mask

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Kashuno posted:

same but Majora's Mask

BotW, Wind Waker, Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds and Zelda are all better then the N64 ones.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What makes the 2DS XL better than a New 3DS XL? Aside from no 3D there's some cosmetic changes and it's cheaper, but did it improve anything?

Aside from the cosmetic changes, the cartridge slot and sd slot are in better places, you don't need to unscrew the back anymore, and the cartridge slot has a cover so you can't accidentally press the cart and cause an eject.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Aside from the cosmetic changes, the cartridge slot and sd slot are in better places, you don't need to unscrew the back anymore, and the cartridge slot has a cover so you can't accidentally press the cart and cause an eject.

Sounds like a good reason to buy yet another nintendo product.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rad Valtar posted:

BotW, Wind Waker, Link to the Past, Link Between Worlds and Zelda are all better then the N64 ones.

Those are some fightin' words right there...

..that I completely agree with. Even with the visual makeover and QOL improvements in the 3DS versions, I still like the games listed above more than OoT or MM.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I thought Ocarina of Time was the best game ever until March 3rd this year. It's weird because I read peoples complaints about BOTW and I agree with some of them, and yet I still think it is on a level above everything else I've played. Which also shows me that there is a lot of room for improvement which is crazy. I can't wait for the next zelda that iterates on this design.

I measure "greatest game of all time" as a game that is so uniquely designed that it embarrasses all other attempts in that space. So, for example, even if "The Legend of Zelda: the breathiest of all the wilds" comes out and is technically better than Breath of the wild it still won't be the greatest game of all time because all it does is carry the torch a little bit further. The "greatest game of all time" creates a wholly new torch to be carried in the future.

As I type this I realize how stupid my "GOAT" philosophy is but gently caress you, its how I rate poo poo.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Real Talk I still think Zelda 2 owns and is near the top.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Realer talk: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love Breath of the Wild but it's so hyper focused on being an open world with self-motivation by the player to get the most out of it, that I can easily see why someone might not like it. I really think that once you're out of college, any game that takes more than a few dozen hours needs to cater to a specific niche you're interested in, or it's not worth your time. There's nothing wrong with someone bouncing off of a game type they're not into, especially when it would take weeks or months of free time to get the most out of it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Playing Tetris versus yesterday with the brothers has some them on the switch in the single moment where they thought we only had two controllers even though 3 people wanted to play, and I passed one a joy con.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Real Talk I still think Zelda 2 owns and is near the top.

It's why we need a Zelda 2 Maker to be frank. Maybe that mobile phone game will be a platformer.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So, BoI is cool and good, but the slow down issues might be understated. Second run I got the item that gives mass poison and literally every room after that slowed down to about 10fps for 15 seconds until the effect wore off.

Still playable in general, but I hope it gets a performance patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This new rhythm game from the PaRappa and Gitaroo-Man creators is coming to Switch! if the Kickstarter reaches the maximum $5 million stretch goal lol

• Locked thread