Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Looks like somebody forgot to unmute an audio track for the Valley of the Dolls ep. Unless the new plot in 60 seconds theme is really experimental.
Maybe it's a tribute to John Cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Heath posted:

I was talking about this with a friend the other day and the issue seems to be that, unlike watching a bad movie, reading a bad book is an investment. By the time you realize it's bad enough to not have a lot of things of value to talk about, it's already too close to the show deadline to start over and pick up another one. And there's an audience for bad movies where you can hear which ones are total laughable poo poo by word of mouth, where such things don't exist for bad books unless they're bad enough to be popular already. The only people likely to read (say) an ICP book are people who are genuinely interested in the content and thus aren't likely to tell you that the book is poo poo.

I host a show where we read bad RPGs and review them, and this is very true. We get a lot of listener recommendations for people's favorite old games that we can tell in a few minutes of skimming will just make for boring shows. Book selection is all about playing to the cheap seats and hoping that the content is either amazing or so terrible that the degree of terrible is amazing instead.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 2, 2017

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finally got a chance to hear the Valley of the Dolls episode after a very busy week or so. This was classic IDEOTV, right up there with Flowers in the Attic.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Finally got a chance to hear the Valley of the Dolls episode after a very busy week or so. This was classic IDEOTV, right up there with Flowers in the Attic.

Yes; Valley of the Dolls is one of my all-time favorite books (I know it's not good, OKAY) and I was pretty pleased with the results. I wish they'd, like, MST3K the movie. That is a garbage loving film.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, it was a nice change of pace for them to be reading something that was entertainingly trashy-bad, not just a shitshow. Great episode.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes; Valley of the Dolls is one of my all-time favorite books (I know it's not good, OKAY) and I was pretty pleased with the results. I wish they'd, like, MST3K the movie. That is a garbage loving film.

oh I'm sure that would make every scene with Sharon Tate super comfortable :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mara Wilson's back! Also they may have said they weren't going to read any more books about bands, but they said nothing about books about groupies...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

great, now I have to anticipate this magnificence for the next eight hours until I get home from work!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There is a one-off segment song in this episode that made me laugh incredibly hard.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Lumbermouth posted:

There is a one-off segment song in this episode that made me laugh incredibly hard.

I sincerely hope it comes back in like 20 episodes. Even if that means they have to do another loving band book.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I really like it when they do band books. I think those are some of my favorite episodes.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Band books are the episodes I hate the most, usually because it means that it enables the things I hate the most about these guys: extra large music snobbery.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spark That Bled posted:

Band books are the episodes I hate the most, usually because it means that it enables the things I hate the most about these guys: extra large music snobbery.
I've enjoyed some, but I hear ya

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

music snobbery is, actually, good

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Band books are the best episodes and Jim Morrison should be poo poo upon at every possible second.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'd rather listen to the Dragonlance book review again than any of their band book reviews. And they said that book was worse than a book written by an actual misogynist and joke plagiarist.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

music snobbery is, actually, good

Sharing it with the world is not good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sharing it with the world is not good.

it owns, really

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

it owns, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKpQgEyjNdM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if any of you skipped the Corey loving Taylor episode because you thought it was a "band book" and contained "music snobbery" then you need to fix something about yourself

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
that was one of the ones I enjoyed

Largely because it had nothing to do with Corey loving Taylor's music

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Spark That Bled posted:

And being mightily offended on the behalf of women everywhere. Which, thanks, but take that energy and put it towards politics.

That said, there's nothing funnier than the Motley Crue book, and hearing it read out loud just makes it better.

Spark That Bled posted:

I'd rather listen to the Dragonlance book review again than any of their band book reviews. And they said that book was worse than a book written by an actual misogynist and joke plagiarist.

The Dragonlance book song was loving hilarious, though!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Band books are the best episodes and Jim Morrison should be poo poo upon at every possible second.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

I don't know why they were so derisive about Jerry Hopkins, though. Bangkok Babylon was a pretty entertaining read and he seemed cool enough on Bourdain's show.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

And being mightily offended on the behalf of women everywhere. Which, thanks, but take that energy and put it towards politics.

That said, there's nothing funnier than the Motley Crue book, and hearing it read out loud just makes it better.

The Dragonlance book song was loving hilarious, though!

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

I don't know why they were so derisive about Jerry Hopkins, though. Bangkok Babylon was a pretty entertaining read and he seemed cool enough on Bourdain's show.

you feed chinese kids soylent so you can tell the internet about it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Alaois posted:

you feed chinese kids soylent so you can tell the internet about it

Yup; it had nothing to do with what we were studying at the time and I totally forced them to drink it. Did it for the lulz. What's that got to do with IDEOTV, though?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IDK how someone could like Jay but not like his musician dorkdom or liberal sentiments.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

IDK how someone could like Jay but not like his musician dorkdom or liberal sentiments.

I like that he's liberal, I just don't think that poor treatment of women by legendary poo poo musicians needs to be focused on. It's a comedy podcast and I'd rather not feel sad.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Man, that Ready Player One letter and the responses were sheer pain. How can people be so smug about being so awkward and unpleasant?

Someone told my friend to read a bad book. I want to tell him it's bad, but this other person my friend knows might somehow take it personally. Then again, my friend will probably like the bad book anyway, being a straight, white male...

"If you're afraid to say that it's bad, just let him read the book and recommend something you like?"

"No, you should tactfully tell him it's bad. Just tell him that if he reads it and likes it, you'll think less of him as a person because the book is bad and the people who like it are bad too."

"Yeah, that's fair."

It was at this point or so that I had to stop listening.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I had two friends recommend RPO to me because they know I like D&D and other nerd poo poo like that. I hated it and told them so to their faces. but like they said in the IDEOTV episode, it's worth a read if you're one of those people who like to watch bad but entertaining movies to pretentiously scoff at them

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Someone told my friend to read a bad book. I want to tell him it's bad, but this other person my friend knows might somehow take it personally. Then again, my friend will probably like the bad book anyway, being a straight, white male...

Why would they need to emphasise that? Shouldn't they have realised they're the living literal definition of "#NotAllMen" through their hatred of Ready Player One?

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
IDEOATV's music snobbery is pretty tame compared to, say, rateyourmusic.

Good episode. They should bring on guests more often.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Spark That Bled posted:

Why would they need to emphasise that?
To meet their sanctimonious insufferability quota for the quarter.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I re-listened to the Left Behind episode this morning and Chris reading the passage where the flight attendant talks about how sad it is that her sister's abortion clinic is going out of business because people can't have babies since the Rapture* made me laugh way too loud in public.

*Paraphrasing

e:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

To meet their sanctimonious insufferability quota for the quarter.
This also made me laugh out loud, truth be told.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Some of the best moments in the podcast are Jay and Chris laughing at a music joke that's only meant for them, it's genuinely friendly and adds a lot to their chemistry.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys get offended by weird poo poo

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Spark That Bled posted:

Why would they need to emphasise that? Shouldn't they have realised they're the living literal definition of "#NotAllMen" through their hatred of Ready Player One?

What

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You guys get offended by weird poo poo

"Offended" is a weird way to put it

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So is nobody going to talk about the new episode starring Lauren O'Neal and a book-like object written by The Dilbert Guy?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
that guy needs someone in his life to tell him not to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dilbert Man is a real dumbass