Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

they should, but you should never count on it. people ignore that poo poo all the time

i don't count on it. loving yospos, im not justifying crushing the cyclist with the existence of traffic rules.

"wow latvian dude stop expecting lawful drivers like you have in latvia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i do drive and i guess i am sorry for thinking that other drivers should clearly abide the traffic rules, especially explicit signage and road mark-up :confused:

for adults, driving in traffic (as opposed to driving on your own little planet with no-one else) is based not on what should happen but what is happening. only a dangerous shithead idiot would assume someone who isn't signaling a turn is going to turn and only a literal criminal would act on said assumption.

e: it's much more against the law to drive over someone than it is to drive under someone

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 15, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i don't count on it. loving yospos, im not justifying crushing the cyclist with the existence of traffic rules.

"wow latvian dude stop expecting lawful drivers like you have in latvia"

it drives me nuts, because i really want to be able to understand what's going to happen with the traffic, but other people do not give a gently caress :spergin:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

btw the "explicit signage" is not visible to the driver of the car and it's quite possible the painted arrow isn't, either.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

prefect posted:

but other people do not give a gently caress :spergin:

this should be the first thing they teach you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

for adults, driving in traffic (as opposed to driving on your own little planet with no-one else) is based not on what should happen but what is happening. only a dangerous shithead idiot would assume someone who isn't signaling a turn is going to turn and only a literal criminal would act on said assumption.

again, latvians are last people in europe to be told about driving in real world differing from driving in theory. person in a turning lane turning without turn indicator is much more reasonable assumption than them continuing straight, since, at least here, use of turn indicators in similar circumstances is lax at best.

neither of that, of anything ive said before, to repeat, is a justification of cyclist being crushed. all im saying is that in latvia cyclist would be held at fault much more than the driver, especially if the circumstances on the forward lane did not permit safe emergency braking for the turning car.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

btw the "explicit signage" is not visible to the driver of the car and it's quite possible the painted arrow isn't, either.

drive perfectly sees the road mark-up on the intersection though, which is why i explicitly mentioned it

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The alternative angles don't make it look very good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNF97ytfbH8

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

MononcQc posted:

all all streets there just under constant video surveillance for 50 angles?

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
somebody quoted this in the c-spam trump thread, so i'm going to be listening to it on repeat for the next hour or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA4-4ifhixg

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 15, 2017

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
the only reason the cyclist is in the turn lane -- and just barely -- is to give himself some space from the cars passing him on the left. although i suppose the court wouldn't really care about "barely" and the reasons why.

but, is it absolutely insane for him to be riding on what looks like a highway? good god, yes it is insane.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trabant posted:

the only reason the cyclist is in the turn lane -- and just barely -- is to give himself some space from the cars passing him on the left. although i suppose the court wouldn't really care about "barely" and the reasons why.

but, is it absolutely insane for him to be riding on what looks like a highway? good god, yes it is insane.

there's nothing insane about cycling on a european highway

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MononcQc posted:

Looks like the car started rolling backwards to finish the job :getin:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lol nothing wrong with a cyclist on the highway, they are allowed

while he SHOULD HAVE turned in that lane - the driver should have shown common sense and not plowed into someone

she was obviously distracted though with something and broke that guys ribs

sure cyclists can be a bit of a nuisance but you give them room and adapt

its funny this has to be explained

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

how do you get hit by a car on your bike? haven't you all ridden a bike sensibly for like 25 years and never been smooshed? it's cause you're smart and realize a car can crush the gently caress out of you whether you're right or not so you make sure not to be in the path of a murder machine driven by an idiot.

but you don't see bikes on the autobahn wtf bro

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

the lesson my dad taught me about riding a bike, and that i follow when driving as well, is that "anything bigger than you has the right of way"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Someone turning doesn't though and has to wait until all traffic is clear before moving or at least enough distance between you and the oncoming traffic to make it in time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MononcQc posted:

car driver was an idiot and not paying attention.

cyclist was an idiot for not being in a car.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

muckswirler posted:

autobahns are the only exception, and you can't get on one with a bike to begin with, iirc. either way, autobahn-style roads are not common in europe outside germany, and don't exist in eastern europe where this happened

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there's nothing insane about cycling on a european highway

Vintersorg posted:

lol nothing wrong with a cyclist on the highway, they are allowed

hell, it's legal for me to do so on texas highways. even tempting when the roads turn into parking lots.

that'd also be insane, except even more so on account of it being, you know, texas.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Driver should have seen him, but lol @ it being OK to just not turn in a turn lane and expecting the whole world to adapt around you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Trabant posted:

hell, it's legal for me to do so on texas highways. even tempting when the roads turn into parking lots.

that'd also be insane, except even more so on account of it being, you know, texas.

just strap a large gun to your cycle

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

theflyingorc posted:

expecting the whole world to adapt around you

cyclists

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

the lesson my dad taught me about riding a bike, and that i follow when driving as well, is that "anything bigger than you has the right of way"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

You run over a dude by crossing into his lane with the dead front of your car, with plenty of time to see him coming without any traffic nor pressure, while starting from a full stop.

I don't really care that the cyclist didn't signal or wasn't even supposed to be there to begin with, or even if the cyclist were a braindead set of children on each other's shoulders on their way to close a drug deal. That is mighty lovely car driving right there, no way you can excuse it.

If the car were software (a reverse :iiaca: ), that driver would be a developer who just shipped a thing that runs shell commands as root into the back-up system straight from the production PHP front-end.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

muckswirler posted:

how do you get hit by a car on your bike? haven't you all ridden a bike sensibly for like 25 years and never been smooshed? it's cause you're smart and realize a car can crush the gently caress out of you whether you're right or not so you make sure not to be in the path of a murder machine driven by an idiot.

Back when I was a carless college student I got hit by a car jumping the curb to get past someone trying to make a left turn. I was biking on a sidewalk and someone hit me because their tunnel vision didn't allow them to see anything but other vehicle that was inconsiderate enough to make a legal left turn in front of them.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

b b b but the user deployed the poop code maybe they should be blamed, the idiots!

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

while i agree with the sentiment here - be careful and never assume others pay attention or even care about the rules - this is still the wrong way to put it. when crossing traffic has right of way, i clearly signal my intention to yield by slowing down well beforehand, seeking eye contact, etc. i don't do the same when i have the right of way according to the rules, as the above saying would suggest. does not mean that i play chicken with vehicles or put myself in danger, but not safely asserting my place in traffic would only reinforce the thinking of the few assholes who have the opposite idea "i am bigger so i have the right of way".

this is the bonnot gang, one should definitely yield to them

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the other day I drove into a child chasing her ball into the street. I flipped the finger to the parents, and since the street belongs to cars and I had a right of way, I sent them the bill for the car wash. They can pay with bitcoin.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

d64 posted:

while i agree with the sentiment here - be careful and never assume others pay attention or even care about the rules - this is still the wrong way to put it. when crossing traffic has right of way, i clearly signal my intention to yield by slowing down well beforehand, seeking eye contact, etc. i don't do the same when i have the right of way according to the rules, as the above saying would suggest. does not mean that i play chicken with vehicles or put myself in danger, but not safely asserting my place in traffic would only reinforce the thinking of the few assholes who have the opposite idea "i am bigger so i have the right of way".

this is the bonnot gang, one should definitely yield to them

otoh:

that guy's got to stop… he'll see us

last words said by james dean before dying in a car accident

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MononcQc posted:

the other day I drove into a child chasing her ball into the street. I flipped the finger to the parents, and since the street belongs to cars and I had a right of way, I sent them the bill for the car wash. They can pay with bitcoin.
...you do get that if a child suddenly darts out in front of your car you may not be held accountable, right? That it depends on context?

You're also basically not understanding how the brain works when solving movement tasks or w/e.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

why are you guys posting and responding to each others comments????

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KoRMaK posted:

:justpost:

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

otoh:

that guy's got to stop… he'll see us

last words said by james dean before dying in a car accident
i will stop, i'm not stupid, but i will not act like i would if the other vehicle actually had the right of way.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

...you do get that if a child suddenly darts out in front of your car you may not be held accountable, right? That it depends on context?

You're also basically not understanding how the brain works when solving movement tasks or w/e.

Ah yes sorry. Let me put it in context of the video at hand.

I was at a full stop, and I saw a child coming into the other side of the road. The child had been running and visible for a good 10-15 seconds and headed in a straight line that would go next to my car, and would escape unscathed if I did nothing but keep waiting or had gone in the last 30 seconds. I waited the right amount of time and then pressed the accelerator and ran head first into the toddler.

This is the toddler's fault because

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

trying to attract you're mum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MononcQc posted:

Ah yes sorry. Let me put it in context of the video at hand.

I was at a full stop, and I saw a child coming into the other side of the road. The child had been running and visible for a good 10-15 seconds and headed in a straight line that would go next to my car, and would escape unscathed if I did nothing but keep waiting or had gone in the last 30 seconds. I waited the right amount of time and then pressed the accelerator and ran head first into the toddler.

This is the toddler's fault because
that line is not straight and terminates in a turn before you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that line is not straight and terminates in a turn before you

Yeah okay sorry go ahead and make sure to run the idiot over then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

they should revoke that bicyclist's license for such careless driving