Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anthrax-ridden cow head in Postal 2 was always a favourite. Also the machine gun with the cheat that fired an infinite stream of invincible bouncing cats at perpetual velocity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Postal 2 had a great mod called AMN that had insane weapons, but one of the best was a machine gun similar to the cat machine gun except you could fire any NPC's model. It would even store whatever animation they were in when you copied them, so you could fire a bouncing stream of panicked Gary Colemans who'd yell as they ricochet all over the map.

You can still get the weapons piecemeal from the Steam workshop if you have the Steam version, otherwise the modder has pulled the mod from the internet and stopped further work on it. Which is a shame because that mod was great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best gun was the one UT99 mod that made you ride the Redeemer after firing it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Strangelove Mod. Yeah it was loving fantastic, especially when you were a Nali War Cow.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
WELL, if we're throwing old mods into contention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwg5j33m6w

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy hell that video brings back some memories.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

I was playing U4E just the other day, too.

Hey, speaking of UT mods, anyone remember about this giant, singleplayer mod full of somewhat offputting Christian themes? It featured sprawling levels and I think it might have had some sort of hub world system too. Anyone know what on earth I'm talking about, and what it's called?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't think I'd be able to decide if I liked UT2k4's Ballistic Weapons Mod or UT99's U4E Mod more. They're both perfect examples of the life that a community can breathe into a game via mods and mutators. I still have a thoroughly modded copy of UT99 on a thumbdrive, so I can plug it in to any computer built in the last 10-15 years and play UT99.

Mordja posted:

I was playing U4E just the other day, too.

Hey, speaking of UT mods, anyone remember about this giant, singleplayer mod full of somewhat offputting Christian themes? It featured sprawling levels and I think it might have had some sort of hub world system too. Anyone know what on earth I'm talking about, and what it's called?

I'm trying to think of anything that might have remotely approached what you're describing and the only thing that comes to mind is the "Neo Cairo" mod, I think it was called. But I doubt that that's what you're talking about.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't think I'd be able to decide if I liked UT2k4's Ballistic Weapons Mod or UT99's U4E Mod more. They're both perfect examples of the life that a community can breathe into a game via mods and mutators. I still have a thoroughly modded copy of UT99 on a thumbdrive, so I can plug it in to any computer built in the last 10-15 years and play UT99.

Having played both of them very recently, I can say that U4E is a very fun time, but Ballistic Weapons has some of the most satisfying guns in any shooter, commercial or otherwise.

Plus it's got so many different tweakable menu options, from individual loadouts to ballistic physic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm trying to think of anything that might have remotely approached what you're describing and the only thing that comes to mind is the "Neo Cairo" mod, I think it was called. But I doubt that that's what you're talking about.

I found it! Through a very simple google search that I should have made right off the bat, admittedly. :v:

The mod I'm thinking of is "Legacy" and there's a review of it here, which is worth a look. And speaking of the Christian themes...

That Review posted:

However, a few of these infamous puzzles have turned off some players do to their Christian preference. What I mean is simply this: there are several situations where you are forced to come up with a solution to a problem (usually something that has to do with the penalty of death) that will have something to do with accepting Jesus Christ as your savior. A certain water hazard has you in a drowning situation where you need to pick the "correct human deity" and there are passages with different religious gods displayed about. Pick anyone but the "Christian" path, and you drown. Other things include having to kneel before the cross in order to avoid being crushed, and things of that nature.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Lurdiak posted:

What about the default weapon in the absolutely terrible N64 South Park FPS?

A snowball. If you hold down the fire button, you piss on it to make it do more damage.

Sadly this was also on PC. UK PC Gamer gave it 8%.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

What about the default weapon in the absolutely terrible N64 South Park FPS?

A snowball. If you hold down the fire button, you piss on it to make it do more damage.

South Park had great weapons:
- dodgeballs
- toilet plunger launcher
- alien weapon that made enemies sing and dance uncontrollably
- sniper rifle was a chicken that shot eggs
- the Warpo Ray, which had three fire modes: a shrink ray, a beam that changes enemies into random furry woodland creatures, and a third that... fires angry piranhas for some reason.

There was also the Cow Launcher. It launched cows that exploded into clouds of poison gas. However, if you lock on to a target's head the cow's rear end would land on it, smothering them to death.

Single player was loving bad, but the multiplayer was a lot of fun. I miss Iguana Entertainment :allears:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I enjoyed the hell out of South Park for PC and even managed to play multiplayer back in 2001 with 4 others who happened to be also playing.

Of course, I was only 12. I don't think there's a practical way to play the PC version in modern PCs anymore.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

If there is, it probably involves some variant of dgVoodoo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wasn't that game made using the Turok engine?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

Probably, considering it's the Turok devs (Iguana) who made it.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I loved the Clone Bandits mod for UT2k4. It featured ballistic missile motorcycles which were every bit as fun to ride as they sound.

It didn't get much attention. I mostly played it at LAN parties.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

I think so. Something about the South Park version of it was incredibly buggy though. I remember falling through geometry and the game crashing a lot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I vaguely remember fighting nothing but turkeys for about 2 hours, then the game appeared to start over again but with robots or something instead.

I remember enjoying it at the time but looking back, that game was terrible . To be honest most of the N64 games I had were pretty bad and I have little to no nostalgia for them at all. Zelda and Doom 64 are still great, Mario 64 OK (I felt it paled in comparison to SMW) and most of the others just terrible these days, even Goldeneye.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah Goldeneye is actually quite bad. even if you play it with mouse control

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I had South Park for the PlayStation, and recently wondered if mouselook + WASD would've made it a lot more playable. After reading about the PC version, it doesn't look like such features would've made a difference.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

I opened that in the background and was disturbed to realise that not only did I recognise the weapon mods, but the actual footstep sounds. I mean, it's the best game ever, but I should probably fanboy a bit less if that's the result…

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tippis posted:

I opened that in the background and was disturbed to realise that not only did I recognise the weapon mods, but the actual footstep sounds. I mean, it's the best game ever, but I should probably fanboy a bit less if that's the result…

I could hear the sounds of some of those weapons even with the video muted. The Quicksilver, the Fleshbomb Rifle, the Zapper...man. Burned into my loving skull.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Convex posted:

I vaguely remember fighting nothing but turkeys for about 2 hours, then the game appeared to start over again but with robots or something instead.

I remember enjoying it at the time but looking back, that game was terrible . To be honest most of the N64 games I had were pretty bad and I have little to no nostalgia for them at all. Zelda and Doom 64 are still great, Mario 64 OK (I felt it paled in comparison to SMW) and most of the others just terrible these days, even Goldeneye.

Mario 64 is still the best 3D platformer in my book, so good. Perfect Dark's design holds up, at least with the shiny Xbox 360 Arcade remake thingy. On the PS1 side, I think a lot of those held up pretty well too (Twisted Metal 2, etc). Overall I think that gen of early 3D games aged better than some say it did.

And agreed on the UT love! Good stuff.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

The Kins posted:

I miss zany weapon mods. Not like Russian Overkill just-more-explodey-and-shooty megaweapons.

It's a big thing that keeps me coming back to Reelism.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The XBLA remaster of Perfect Dark is rather incredible. You can tell the dev team put a lot of love into that project. Especially given how they made the modern controls work with the older setup.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I loved the Clone Bandits mod for UT2k4. It featured ballistic missile motorcycles which were every bit as fun to ride as they sound.

It didn't get much attention. I mostly played it at LAN parties.

The Moscowboy!

I ran a Mod-of-the-week UT2k4 sever for SA for a little while and Clone Bandits was fairly popular for a while.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So I've put a little but more time into Strafe. Like another poster itt I'm beginning to warm on it... slightly.

The thing is, there's definitely the foundation of a really good game in here somewhere. The weapons don't feel amazing but the damage is at least balanced so they feel suitably strong -- you never find yourself in that situation where all you have is a peashooter and so fights just take forever, like in Isaac or Gungeon. The movement is good and honestly the map procgen is probably the best I've seen in a roguelite. You definitely will see repeating sections within just a few plays but the ways they connect are surprisingly organic.

I really think the biggest problem is just the lack of feedback. Wimpy sounding guns was one way, although they have improved it a little bit -- they're basically at Quake 2 quality, which is still damning with faint praise but it's better than nothing. But enemies not making enough noise is unforgivable. There's no chatter and no footsteps from most enemies, including the most common Glutton, so when they come up behind you and hit you there is literally no information about it happening. And these are the most common enemies and they're stone silent! It's kinda hosed up. It still just feels kinda lifeless.

Also just the really bad HUD stinks out loud. There is absolutely zero information about what guns you're carrying, or what order they're in in the weapon list (and remember, you can only scroll through weapons, no quick swap, which is also horse poo poo). So if you're in a heated fight and trying to find your main gun, good luck! And hope you don't accidentally draw the rocket launcher and explode yourself.

There's just a lack of info in general. Twice I've been killed by "Holy Ghost" and once by "God." Are these enemy names? Did I kill myself? Is it just generic filler for being killed by an unknown enemy because the game is glitchy as gently caress? I honestly don't know. Most roguelites show a picture of the thing that killed you, for obvious reasons, but whatever.

The game can honestly be good, and I don't really regret buying it, but it's definitely not worth :20bux: in its current state. It needs more content to be sure, but honestly the problems that exist are super fixable and it could definitely be a good game down the road.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

There's just a lack of info in general. Twice I've been killed by "Holy Ghost" and once by "God." Are these enemy names? Did I kill myself? Is it just generic filler for being killed by an unknown enemy because the game is glitchy as gently caress? I honestly don't know. Most roguelites show a picture of the thing that killed you, for obvious reasons, but whatever.

Holy Ghosts are the acid sprites that vents/lava chimneys spit out. "God" is environmental damage, I believe.

I agree with your criticisms, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 17, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't shittalk the N64 too much or you'll get me talking about games no one wants to remember in an attempt to defend it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lemon-Lime posted:

Holy Ghosts are the acid sprites that vents/lava chimneys spit out. "God" is environmental damage, I believe.

I agree with your criticisms, though.

IIRC the death message in Unreal if you got crushed by an elevator was something like the player had a massive heart attack.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

which was that UT mod that added all the weird janky characters to it, like the grim reaper and a demon and I think they all had special abilities?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

which was that UT mod that added all the weird janky characters to it, like the grim reaper and a demon and I think they all had special abilities?
Probably U4E Tournament. I posted a video of some of the weird guns in it earlier.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Probably U4E Tournament. I posted a video of some of the weird guns in it earlier.

Yeah, it's U4E all right. Like I said, I was messing around with it a couple weeks ago and you can set it so that every character has different stats and starting weapons.

The funniest was the golem who began with 200 health and armour, moved slow as molasses, and could throw giant boulders that one-shot everyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lurdiak posted:

Don't shittalk the N64 too much or you'll get me talking about games no one wants to remember in an attempt to defend it.

Doom64 is a treasure and the way I got to experience Doom other than playing it on my friend's much better PC.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
N64 bad. Some games good but most bad :colbert:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Convex posted:

N64 bad. Some games good but most bad :colbert:

it had like ten good games which is a WAY better ratio than the gamecube

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

This is unfortunately true of most game consoles in history except for the Sega Dreamcast, the greatest system ever made.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Yes but most ran at 20fps and looked like glaucoma simulator 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

am i the only person who liked the gamecube?