Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've heard nothing but bad things about Suicide Squad, even from fellow fans of the DCEU. Nevertheless, I figured I should see it because maybe it'll be important and also I like to make up my own mind on things every now and then.

But since I was talking about Folding Ideas earlier, I found this video.
https://youtu.be/mDclQowcE9I

The making GBS threads on BvS is whatever but the examination of how absolutely nothing in SS makes sense on a fundamental level is pretty interesting and has made me rethink seeing the movie.

Dude seems like a smart enough guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My opinion of Suicide Squad is conflicting. I mean, it was OK. Its just that the Justice League cartoon had a Suicide Squad episode (They called it Task Force X) and that episode was better than the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Assault on Arkham was also a better Suicide Squad movie than Suicide Squad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That I do not agree with. I was going to bring it up but decided against it, because its not fresh in my mind. I remember disliking in particular how many people Batman allowed to die, basically the entire guard staff of Arkham.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I like SUICIDE SQUAD. It's kinda crap but it builds a heck of a world, the Joker stuff is entertaining, and Idk, looking to things to be good and make sense in this life is a policy which should take more siestas.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Suicide Squad makes as much sense on a moment-to-moment basis as any B-tier Marvel movie. I'd put it against Thor: The Dark World any day of the week, for instance.

But where it makes the most sense to me is in the argument it's making, in the fact that it's a story about the American deep state propping up one kind of evil, only to have it backfire on them, so another kind of evil is sent to clean up the mess, and the result is a net loss that no one learns anything from, so nothing changes, except we're fine with it.

It's a movie that I really enjoy thinking about, and that counts for a lot in my book.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ElNarez posted:

Suicide Squad makes as much sense on a moment-to-moment basis as any B-tier Marvel movie. I'd put it against Thor: The Dark World any day of the week, for instance.

But where it makes the most sense to me is in the argument it's making, in the fact that it's a story about the American deep state propping up one kind of evil, only to have it backfire on them, so another kind of evil is sent to clean up the mess, and the result is a net loss that no one learns anything from, so nothing changes, except we're fine with it.

It's a movie that I really enjoy thinking about, and that counts for a lot in my book.

There's a bit to think about. Especially the way Waller is Nick Fury. Not a scarier version of him, just him, dealing with someone he doesn't have to treat well.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Man, some of those spoilers sound kinda fake. I just think someone's just guessed stuff based on the available info and then tossed in some real crazy poo poo for good measure.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

'Suicide Squad' is narratively and thematically more coherent than 'The Avengers'.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
There's a lot to think about when it comes to Suicide Squad, and I find myself liking it more and more.
It's just very bizarre and bleak, but ridiculous in a way super hero films haven't been since the 90s.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It feels like there is a really really good movie somewhere in suicide squad.

I don't know if it's the way it's cut or what, but it feels like with a few script and editing tweaks it would be really really good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

teagone posted:

Assault on Arkham was also a better Suicide Squad movie than Suicide Squad.

No, it wasn't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's a lot to talk about in Suicide Squad, it lingers on the roof of your mouth like drinking straight half and half.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Like, at the very least anyone who dislikes Suicide Squad should feel it's as bad as a direct-to-video americanime, but, no, apparently the third of three direct-to-video animations from the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES franchise is better written/better formally realized, I'm sure this would hold up to movie-fight.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

K. Waste posted:

Like, at the very least anyone who dislikes Suicide Squad should feel it's as bad as a direct-to-video americanime, but, no, apparently the third of three direct-to-video animations from the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES franchise is better written/better formally realized, I'm sure this would hold up to movie-fight.

Well, I have not seen Suicide Squad (but the last few posts are making me reconsider this) or this Arkham movie but I consider the Batman animated films to all be way better than the live-action stuff.

I'm not sure if you were trying to say that films like Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker or Under the Red Hood are inherently trash, though. If you weren't saying that, sorry.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd be more willing to watch a lovely DC cartoon movie than Suicide Squad but that's like saying I'd rather be punched in the teeth instead of the balls.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I didn't hate Suicide Squad. It definitely has problems all over the place - much of the dialogue is dumb ("you don't have the balls"), the pacing and editing is terribly amateur, Deadshot is super-boring yet shares the main character title with Harley Quinn, the main villain is just lame in a way I can't quite describe, and lots of other things. But ultimately I had fun watching it, and I feel that the whole is better than the sum of its parts.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, I have not seen Suicide Squad (but the last few posts are making me reconsider this) or this Arkham movie but I consider the Batman animated films to all be way better than the live-action stuff.

I'm not sure if you were trying to say that films like Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker or Under the Red Hood are inherently trash, though. If you weren't saying that, sorry.

Those first two are from a different era.

SS apparently has interesting interpretations you can conjure up and cram down your maw, but as a movie showing interesting characters do neat and interesting things it falls so loving short of that goalpost. The poster above me hits the nail on the head with their complaints, but I disagree abotu the movie being any sort of fun. Arkham Assault was a shallow but neat/fun little movie abotu a group of comic dudes getting their comic adventure on. By its very nature you expect less of it and it becomes a cool hour long episode of Gummi Bears or Tailspin something.

Suicide Squad had a really great fifteen or twenty minutes worth of a movie in its two hours' length. It's absolutely not worth watching, but you'll feel both intrigued and disappointed at the end of things if you do. Mostly disappointment. But those handful of minutes...

And most of the DC animated stable is utter trash. They'r emostly trying to be straight adaptations of a comic, and most of the comics are gutter-junkie tripe. lol if you think the modern animated DCU is quality viewing.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 15, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked the Red Hood movie and a couple of the weirder one-off things (like the Adam West Batman movie was at least interesting), but once I see that "generic new DC animation style" pop up, I know it's going to pretty much be a straight, bland adaptation of a lame recent comic and I lose all interest.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The most recent DC Animated thing I've seen is Under the Red Hood, which I thought was really good. I liked the voice-acting and someof the fights and its explanation for why Batman doesn't kill. It's not because he's so virtuous, it's because he's so awful that if he crosses that line, he's doomed to become truly no better than Joker or, more fittingly, Two-Face.

I was thinking of watching the animated Dark Knight Returns. Some people in the CB Animation thread said yeah, others said nah,and after reading the comic, I'm not so interested in an adaptation anymore. The comic really depends on being a comic as a significant part of the story is talking heads and random vignettes of Gotham. One of my favorite bits was Gordon just walking along and then shootinga gang member without hesitation because Sarah. She's what keeps this old man alive.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The modern comic book animated movies are almost all trash. I haven't seen the new Adam West Batman animated movie, but I've heard it's the first one in a while to not be horrifically animated.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NikkolasKing posted:

The most recent DC Animated thing I've seen is Under the Red Hood, which I thought was really good. I liked the voice-acting and someof the fights and its explanation for why Batman doesn't kill. It's not because he's so virtuous, it's because he's so awful that if he crosses that line, he's doomed to become truly no better than Joker or, more fittingly, Two-Face.

I was thinking of watching the animated Dark Knight Returns. Some people in the CB Animation thread said yeah, others said nah,and after reading the comic, I'm not so interested in an adaptation anymore. The comic really depends on being a comic as a significant part of the story is talking heads and random vignettes of Gotham. One of my favorite bits was Gordon just walking along and then shootinga gang member without hesitation because Sarah. She's what keeps this old man alive.

The only real standout parts of the animated DKR are Michael Emerson as the Joker and Weller as Batman. The rest is pretty garbage.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MacheteZombie posted:

The modern comic book animated movies are almost all trash. I haven't seen the new Adam West Batman animated movie, but I've heard it's the first one in a while to not be horrifically animated.

I desperately miss the time where DC animated movies each had a distinctive style.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I guess I'm crazy because DKR is my favorite animated comic book thing after Mask of the Phantasm. The animation is good and the soundtrack is peak Christopher Drake. Also Peter Weller.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you've seen Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice then you've already seen one cinematic adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns so you need to ask yourself if you really need or want to see another.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well, I have not seen Suicide Squad (but the last few posts are making me reconsider this)

Oh you should definitely see it, if only so you can join in on the conversations we have about it ITT.

I actually tracked down a copy of the 1984 Supergirl movie which was a spinoff of the Christopher Reeve Superman films after it came up in discussion here a few weeks ago but I haven't worked up the energy to watch it yet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you've seen Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice then you've already seen one cinematic adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns so you need to ask yourself if you really need or want to see another.

That's a good point. I did see BvS a year ago. It's kinda funny, I've heard DKR influenced everyone from Burton to Nolan to Snyder but only Snyder's Batman, only "Batfleck", really seems to capture that character. That anger and fear and manic drive. He's thee only live-action Batman I can honestly believe people are scared to death of. That's kind of a big deal for a character who is supposedly all about terror.

I'll see about watching Suicide Squad later today, too. The premise sounds interesting enough. If the acting is good, I can probably find something to enjoy about i.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

NikkolasKing posted:

A very strange position that nonetheless explains a lot.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd be more willing to watch a lovely DC cartoon movie than Suicide Squad but that's like saying I'd rather be punched in the teeth instead of the balls.

Hairy Knowles posted:

Suicide Squad is like getting a rim-job from one of the fugly prostitutes at the Bunny Ranch, but Assault on Arkham is like watching a lovely direct-to-video animated feature.

BTW, Under the Red Hood is mediocre garbage, shocker, I know.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What can I say? I haven't liked a single live-action Batman (as in the character) until Affleck. Keaton was a competent enough actor but the direction Burton went with was not to my taste. Batman '89 is as silly and campy as Adam West but now everything is black.

And Bale...does anyone actually like Bale's performance? For me, his Bruce Wayne isn't likable, his Batman isn't scary, and the Dark Knight Trilogy lives and breathes thanks to interesting antagonists played by good actors. Oh and Gary Oldman and maybe the music.

I have high hopes for the Batfleck solo movie whenever it comes out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCyoZ2kWD_Q

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If The Rock says he wants Armie Hammer, you go and get Armie Hammer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I can't believe they're making a movie where Dwayne Johnson gets his rear end beat by Johnny Depp.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Get ready to celebrate Wonder Woman Day.

Wonder Woman gets the girly heroine treatment in Japan — and fans are not happy!

I like the Japanese fans standing up for her.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have a bad feeling that Wonder Woman is going to be the inverse DCCU movie.

Previously, they have all had "Transformers Syndrome" where they have gotten decent (MoS) to bad (all the rest) reviews, but made a ton of money.

I think that since Wonder Women looks like it will be a more "traditional" summer blockbuster and it is the first female lead for the DCCU that there is gonig to be a strong incentive to make a narrative about Wonder Woman "saving" the DCCU and getting better reviews. There is almost no chance that WW makes as much or more money than BvS or Suicide Squad, so the general rule of "DC takes the absolute wrong lesson from any given situation" will kick into effect and they never announce a WW sequel and just release 40 different Batman-universe movies until they run out of IP from the Batman universe.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Timby posted:

The only real standout parts of the animated DKR are Michael Emerson as the Joker and Weller as Batman. The rest is pretty garbage.

They turned the Fake David Letterman into a Fake-Real Conan O'Brien, so that was cool.

Also in Under the Red Hood, John DiMaggio's Joker sounded exactly like that episode of Futurama where Bender becomes a lady robot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In Under the Red Hood, were the three robo-ninja sorta characters that they clearly ripped off from Ninja Warriors 2 already existing DC characters or just some random flunkies or something?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

In Under the Red Hood, were the three robo-ninja sorta characters that they clearly ripped off from Ninja Warriors 2 already existing DC characters or just some random flunkies or something?

Original characters made for the movie to streamline the Narrative and to add more female characters. In the original comic book Black Mask gets support from Captain Nazi, Hyena and Count Vertigo. Jason kills Captain Nazi.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I see nothing wrong with the ads and I don't see what the issue is. They literally say that she's the most powerful of all the superheroes. To say she's innocent and naive is slightly misleading, but still factually true.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jason must die

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I see nothing wrong with the ads and I don't see what the issue is. They literally say that she's the most powerful of all the superheroes. To say she's innocent and naive is slightly misleading, but still factually true.

Superman! He's powerful! But has no real sense of identity and unsure of his place in the world! Man of Steal comes out this Father's Day!
Batman! World's Greatest detective! But also reclusive with emotional issues and is unable to overcome the death of his parents and is fueled by that pain! Batman v Superman this Spring!

It's taking a character and focusing on and making a big deal out of minor character "faults" to make her more attractive to an audience who are afraid of assertive and/or independent women. It's toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimbot posted:

Superman! He's powerful! But has no real sense of identity and unsure of his place in the world! Man of Steal comes out this Father's Day!
Batman! World's Greatest detective! But also reclusive with emotional issues and is unable to overcome the death of his parents and is fueled by that pain! Batman v Superman this Spring!

I don't see the issue with these either. They are very true.

• Locked thread