Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

These upcoming moons. Are they claiming this will have the seamless 'fly yr ship from space right down to the surface' feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6b82fc/funding_in_2017so_far_compared_to_past_years/

Citizen made a funding chart. CIG's made 1.3 million dollars less so far this year than last year.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TrustmeImLegit posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6b82fc/funding_in_2017so_far_compared_to_past_years/

Citizen made a funding chart. CIG's made 1.3 million dollars less so far this year than last year.

tbh it's been a fairly steady trend where they keep making less during quiet early months each year, but then so much during gamescom/citcon/anniversary sales to end up getting more yoy.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

BeigeJacket posted:

How far behind are they on that 3.0 schedule the citizens were creaming themselves over a few weeks ago?

3.0 progress is sat on a treadmill that perfectly adjusts it's speed corresponding to the speed that progress is made.

In other words, 3.0 release with content as promised, some time around the entropic heat death of the 'verse.

Star Citizen: Entropic heat death of the 'verse

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Getting my cc out. It's our responsibility to fund him after all.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

tbh it's been a fairly steady trend where they keep making less during quiet early months each year, but then so much during gamescom/citcon/anniversary sales to end up getting more yoy.

True but they're comparing

Jan-April for previous years' slow periods too. Last year their slow period made them almost 20% more.

Basically in Jan-April 2016 they made 8.9 million. Jan-April 2017 they made 7.6 million. And that's them being super aggressive.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

BeigeJacket posted:

These upcoming moons. Are they claiming this will have the seamless 'fly yr ship from space right down to the surface' feature?

Chris said this in 2015, lol

Chris posted:

We don’t have planetary landing we have landings on various space stations then we have three main space stations and six or seven communication satellites scattered around the Crusade gas giant. We’re not going to have the planetary landings this year. It will be next year. It will definitely be like the CitizenCon we saw in 2014 but probably much better.

No idea what kind of landings they have promised for 3.0. I am expecting a whole new "planet gamemode" because anything else would actually suggest they are moving towards a cohesive game.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

He was of course referring to this 2014 Persistent Universe Demo video. Inexplicably I can never find it when searching "seamless landing star citizen" on google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gx-3iwXvoQ

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TrustmeImLegit posted:

True but they're comparing

Jan-April for previous years' slow periods too. Last year their slow period made them almost 20% more.

Basically in Jan-April 2016 they made 8.9 million. Jan-April 2017 they made 7.6 million. And that's them being super aggressive.

This is true, they weren't as aggressive this early in the year IIRC. Is finally something up? Is this the mattering finally happening?

I hope not!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

No idea what kind of landings they have promised for 3.0. I am expecting a whole new "planet gamemode" because anything else would actually suggest they are moving towards a cohesive game.
the leaks mentioned a "planetside module" but that they were trying to make it more robust for 3.0 release

then the entire planetary landing crew up and left CIG

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
one of the guys way back last year said they were barely breaking even at £4m a month

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 15, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Virtual Captain posted:

Chris said this in 2015, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YBuFI3iI&t=2625s
I think that's what they promised. They probably now pushed this way back... but I expect many dreamers to be upset when 3.0 lands without anything near that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I find it funny that when that was first posted, citizens were like NO WAY DUDE THATS WAY TOO MUCH and now its like WELL DUH THEY ARE CREATING THE BEST GAME MAN HAS EVER SEEN ITS EXPENSIVE BRO

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the 150 million celebration thread because a bunch of people are gonna smugface at Derek saying well theres 150 million now.

He said they need at least 150 million to make the game. Wheres your game? Like its the one thing Derek was unambiguously right about.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I'm looking forward to the 150 million celebration thread because a bunch of people are gonna smugface at Derek saying well theres 150 million now.

He said they need at least 150 million to make the game. Wheres your game? Like its the one thing Derek was unambiguously right about.

the game will magically appear when the counter reaches 150m

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It will be like the giant ball drop on New Years Eve.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

the game will magically appear when the counter reaches 150m

It's like the calendar for a doomsday cult

it'll just be refactored into "well obviously we need $175m because [reason]" and somehow [reason] is never 'we wasted $150m lol'

Also since development only started late 2014, shouldn't we ignore any funds collected/spent before that date?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm legit bummed out we wont get SQ42 this year. It would have been so much fun to watch a major tom LP of it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Look, it was just SurfaceDetail and me that night okay? I don't know who even took the pics

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You know the citizenry's mood when Touchdowntim55 gets a month of reddit gold for this comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6b85vj/can_someone_who_actually_works_in_marketing/dhkwsxz/

quote:

Finally something in my 'expert' wheelhouse as I do this for a living!

What CIG (Sandi) usually attempts to do is something called Impact Marketing. This is designed to get as many new people in as possible with 'wow' moments to make them make a big purchase. This is usually accomplished through demos and even ATVs.

The flip side of this philosophy of marketing is you NEVER, EVER acknowledge anything negative publicly. Even if being silent makes you look worse. And if you do, its buried somewhere a new person will never find it. Spectrum chat is ideal for this.

Now on the topic of these recent pushes, the referrals, 'fresh cash only', CCUs, etc. This can mean 1 of 2 things. Sandi doesn't know what she is doing as this is clearly inappropriate for the stage the game is in. And she needs help.

Or secondly that this is the real strategy they are going for. Which would indicate they need money now badly. Looking at their site from a fresh view its clear they are intending to sell the current PU as an actual game. The alpha part doesn't come in until the end of the purchase. The website is designed to be obfuscatory. The advertising/marketing pushes have gotten extremely aggressive in the last year and every article they've purchased in the last 2 years (through David Swoffords reputation management firm) has been 'this is a real game play now' focused. Every piece of marketing they do is intended to bring in new money.
Hes so handsome.

Unrelated but what does reddit gold do by the way.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

AbstractNapper posted:

I think that's what they promised. They probably now pushed this way back... but I expect many dreamers to be upset when 3.0 lands without anything near that.

Amazing some of the quotes in that, "there is an atmospheric flight model, there is drag", nowhere to be seen in the video, and we later know from their monthly reports that they only started working on that months later, they lie so much they can't keep their story straight.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

AbstractNapper posted:

Oh Thanks. Added to https://starcitizentracker.github.io/ as "3.0 patch - Seamless planetary/lunar landing" & "3.0 patch - Walk anywhere on planets and moons"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

You can't convince someone who bought steaks out of the back of a van in a Napa Autoparts parking lot that they did not in fact get a sweet deal. Every conversation with Star Citizen fans works like this.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

I can safely say that's rubbish.

1) They would need a secure UI interface to implement stuff like that

2) Why would CIG allow players to rent ships, when there's more money to be made if CIG themselves rented the ships

3) They already have the UI and backend for #2

I can safely said that's rubbish.

1) 3.0 doesn't represent even 20% of what they promised

2) Making 3.0 the MVP they have to know will generate a riot and spark lawsuits

Also..

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/862687783034507264

Somebody doesn't understand player-driven MMO economics. But then again, you'd need to have players in your game, so ...

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 15, 2017

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

TheAgent posted:

the leaks mentioned a "planetside module" but that they were trying to make it more robust for 3.0 release

then the entire planetary landing crew up and left CIG

The planetside module is old as gently caress, remember the exploding golf cart arena?

Also the seamless planetary landing team was apparently one guy.

Get your facts straight FUD spreader.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

Somebody doesn't understand play-driven MMO economics. But then again, you'd need to have players in your game, so ...

sick burn

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

*It's not uncommon to find uninitalized variables in physics code, and a lot of the time they're actually there on purpose.*

:allears:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

*It's not uncommon to find uninitalized variables in physics code, and a lot of the time they're actually there on purpose.*

:allears:

Every one of those dudes still drawing a paycheck is a scammer. Don't you ever feel bad for any of these people. They know the score.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Somebody doesn't understand player-driven MMO economics. But then again, you'd need to have players in your game, so ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypInBkP_ku4

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpTU1CSm4g&t=12s

:gary:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

LMAO if you think crobbler will get an economy to work in a pay to win game. loving hell.

It's been a while, but...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

uuuugh poo poo Pedantic Obsessed With Derek MoMMa has started his shift :negative: He's my least favourite one

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I want to talk with Lunch Recipe MOMA. I'm getting hungry.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

uuuugh poo poo Pedantic Obsessed With Derek MoMMa has started his shift :negative: He's my least favourite one

He's also the most :downsgun: one.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

Sick burn. So uninitialized variables in physics engines. Did they forget the UI?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

Sick burn. So uninitialized variables in physics engines. Did they forget the UI?

You have to have Users to have a User Interface :smug:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

int mPlayerHealth; // don't initialize or assign, let's see what happens

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

a cyberpunk goose posted:

int mPlayerHealth; // don't initialize or assign, let's see what happens

You have to have Players to have PlayerHealth :smug:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

You have to have Players to have PlayerHealth :smug:

promise me you will do an LP of SQ42 in like 3 years or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

promise me you will do an LP of SQ42 in like 3 years or whatever

Why would he wait two years after it all collapsed?