Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*gunshots*

"That's the guy I was telling you about."

:stare: This fuckin' show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tomahawk posted:

That was a pretty cool ep but I'm definitely ready for the end of the series. While I love it, there is definitely something exhausting about this show.
Yeah, I enjoy watching it and I like the characters, but it really likes meandering through points that don't directly inform the story progression. The whole series has had more than its share of weird unexplained obstacles that are there just for the sake of mystery. It's Lindelof's style to be obtuse and convoluted. Some really cool, interesting poo poo is just about to happen, then suddenly it's about blueberry pickers trapped in a water treatment plant and also it's a church in space in the future. :iiam:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Gonz posted:

*gunshots*

Probably the best ending of any episode of television I can recall.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Gonz posted:

*gunshots*

They certainly stuck the landing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Was the actress that plays Jill Garvey too busy with another project or was her character out of story to tell?

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Was the actress that plays Jill Garvey too busy with another project or was her character out of story to tell?

I'm guessing a bit of both? IMDB has her in a bunch of stuff coming out in 2017, so I'm guessing they had her in this season's first episode just so they could say "look she's in college now and well adjusted" and move on. Same as having Erika show up briefly, since I think Regina King was too busy as well.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I liked that after the previous episode where we were meant to question Kevin's sanity again and possibly that even the hotel world was just a manifestation of his mind they reestablished with David Burton that the hotel world was a real thing in the universe of The Leftovers as he is the man the Kevin met on the bridge to Miracle and the bar in the hotel.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The credits song should've been tossed salad and scrambled eggs

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

I liked that after the previous episode where we were meant to question Kevin's sanity again and possibly that even the hotel world was just a manifestation of his mind they reestablished with David Burton that the hotel world was a real thing in the universe of The Leftovers as he is the man the Kevin met on the bridge to Miracle and the bar in the hotel.

Kevin's subconscious could have been inserting him into his delusions after seeing a news report about him. We know that Burton's situation made the news in the States when it happened.

Plus Burton got unceremoniously mauled by a lion after they showed us the story of Daniel. The ambiguity is still very much there imo.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

Speaking of those delusions, without them Kevin would've had a hell of a time finding his dad. Divinely inspired visions, or at least that's what Matt would say.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Le Saboteur posted:

The only proof we have of any sort of weird afterlife-or-otherwise connection is Kevin Jr talking to Kevin Sr, and the burning mattress reference.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd not been feeling this season, in all honesty, though the last two episodes were pretty great. Particularly the fifth. But I think I was mistaking personal preference for overall quality.

That, and I prefer episodes where it turns out that everybody was wrong and things explode in people's faces because they've made a big deal out of nothing as opposed to actual magic and the weird shell games this show plays in regards to whether there's magic or not going on. I think the argument it tends to make is that there's usually not magic, but if there was a magic thing that happened your probably shouldn't overthink it because that'll just blow up in your face.

e.g. The Holy Wayne is all magic and schizzle. Nope, he's a paedophile who gets off on hugging people.
e.g. Evie has been taken in a second Departure. Nope, she's just hosed off somewhere.
e.g. My husband the Pillar Man has Departed. Nope, he's dead.
e.g. God is real and he's on this cruise ship. Nope, he's just some arsehole who lucked into leading a cult.

It's not that there aren't any answers. There are answers, they're just really really banal. (Except the Departure -- all this madness sprang into life as a reaction to an unsolvable event in the same way that a bunch of religions sprang into being as a reaction against the first unsolvable mystery: life.)

So, with this logic, the Nora's science scammers are either just scammers who are very particular about their marks, or are just stupidly microwaving people to death in a misguided attempt to solve their obsession with the unsolvable. Effectively, they're just another cult, asking their version of the same stupid questions that Nora asks for a living. Only these guys are dumb enough to think they've got enough information for human testing to begin.

...and yes, I recognise the irony of this post.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Trust

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's a Utilitarian thought experiment. If you subscribe to the idea that moral good stems from maximizing pleasure and minimizing suffering, you let the baby die in order to save untold millions. If you're on board with some other moral philosophy (maybe you're a Kantian concerned with the morality of specific acts irrespective of justifications), then you refuse to kill.

Of course, the question is useless. Killing a baby is straight-up unthinkable in practical contexts, so the scenario has to laboriously pile on a ton of absurd bullshit (clairvoyance and cancer cures) to even put the idea on the table-- which means the question has nothing to do with practically-applied morality.

Then again, maybe that's what the interviewee is supposed to recognize and respond with. The guy who immolated himself in the previous episode gave the opposite answer from Nora, so it seems like they want some third-way trick answer, a rejection of the question, or a particular way of thinking about the question that Nora and the other guy failed to demonstrate.

Maybe I'm late, but apparently one of the writers endorsed the idea that asking follow-up questions is what did her in. After all, if you're done with this world, why would you care about the exercise at all?

I think that's a lot of bullshit and the idea of a scientific team this hell-bent on loving with people for no apparent end kinda hard to believe, but I guess that's the Leftover's premise kinda.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rewatching old Nora clips and wow they set the last ep perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7irSkn7ZpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-q0S9mtC14

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Shageletic posted:

Rewatching old Nora clips and wow they set the last ep perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7irSkn7ZpU
All the magic stuff in this show is fake, it's frauds and hucksters, every single one of them. except Holy Wayne, he's real

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

A bit of narrative frustration with this one. Why wouldn't Matt, who believes himself to be a potential author of the New New Testament, not ask a guy who has allegedly gone through the exact same thing as Kevin about his experience?

Wasn't Jesus just one of several people claiming to be the son of God of a virginal birth at the time?

Anyway, I think David and Kevin are both part of a new type of human that can bounce between life and death. In International Assassin we also saw a female doctor speaking Spanish and others in the background. I don't think they're common, but they aren't Jesus Christ unique.

I also wonder if the 2% that disappeared tie into this newly developed ability :tinfoil:

Edit: Also, Matt Episode delivers. Matt is a great character, I'm glad that they felt it was worth using 1/8 episodes for him!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Comatose Mary was in the hotel as well so I think it's still meant to be more of a general in-between place.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not sure what to think of this season. I felt like with only 8 episodes the stories would be much more compressed. But they've already had two standalone episodes for certain characters which are fine but think it's a waste not to use Carrie Coon.

Maybe I just need to re-watch them again. Sometimes I think there are scenes that just add nothing to story. Sometimes I think they're getting too cute with stuff. Or maybe it's that we aren't getting new characters like we did in past season (in fact we're losing compelling characters).

It'll probably all come together at the end to create a great finish but it just doesn't feel like this season has had a signature episode. Like I wouldn't put any of this season into my top 5 Leftovers episodes. Still enjoying it.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
In the hotel both David and Kevin were clean shaven. Now, after "coming back" they have full beards.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Niwrad posted:

I'm not sure what to think of this season. I felt like with only 8 episodes the stories would be much more compressed. But they've already had two standalone episodes for certain characters which are fine but think it's a waste not to use Carrie Coon.

Maybe I just need to re-watch them again. Sometimes I think there are scenes that just add nothing to story.

I'd agree that this season isn't as perfect so far as season 2 was. But as for scenes that add nothing to the story, at this point we don't really know for sure what the story is. Most of characters think its about the world ending in a few days, but the real story could still be about them being mistaken about that.

We do have new characters this season, they just tend to be wrapped up in these video-game missions the other characters are on.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Niwrad posted:

The second episode was a Nora episode.

Personally, I don't like this season as much as the previous one so far though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought the beginning of this season was bumpy but I've been liking this string of character study episodes much more than any of the stuff from the latter half of season 2 personally.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

SlipkPIe posted:

The credits song should've been tossed salad and scrambled eggs

Am I the only one who expected a Kelsey Grammar cameo? You never know with this show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

cwinkle posted:

Am I the only one who expected a Kelsey Grammar cameo? You never know with this show.
I half expected someone to try and trick Matt into saying "Fraiser" by asking about famous shows that Kelsey Grammar was on.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I just want one line of one of the remaining episodes to be "gently caress off kevin, you oval office mate" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuwprXAaSv0

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a character introduced who's like "I didn't lose anyone, don't know anyone who did, the world was overpopulated anyway, so whatever." If only just for a contrast to everyone's pain and society's fallout from the Departure. "Yeah, it actually benefits humanity as a whole, guys. No biggie."

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a character introduced who's like "I didn't lose anyone, don't know anyone who did, the world was overpopulated anyway, so whatever." If only just for a contrast to everyone's pain and society's fallout from the Departure. "Yeah, it actually benefits humanity as a whole, guys. No biggie."

Aimee in season one was the closest to that, although we never found out if she actually did lose somebody and was covering for it by pretending not to care.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

One of the cool things about the show is that none of the main characters lost anyone in the departure except Nora. And she is probably the least psychotic of them all.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wouldn't say that. She's done some pretty crazy poo poo.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

UmOk posted:

One of the cool things about the show is that none of the main characters lost anyone in the departure except Nora. And she is probably the least psychotic of them all.

Laurie too, sorta.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nora is absolutely the most damaged person in the show. She has taken on a self-assigned job to be the stable person in her immediate vicinity. She is unable to open up about her problems to the extent that she was planning to go through with the device, but assumed someone would stop her even though she was putting on a confident and sane performance.

She doesn't want to burden anyone with her problems. That's why she didn't have Kevin split the $20k, because she didn't want to even bring it up. Kevin figured it out and was willing to do what he could to help, which is a larger metaphor for their entire relationship.

She already accepted that she was going to lose Kevin from this, much like Kevin's confession caused her to run away.

Kevin is equally worried about losing Nora because of his relapsing problems. She doesn't even know the details of his hotel experience. They're codependent and it's toxic, exactly as Nora joked on the plane, as she was telling Kevin why they were halfway across the Pacific.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 16, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Nora is absolutely the most damaged person in the show.

I dunno, as broken as Nora is at least she tries to soldier on. Matt let his wife and kid leave him without even trying to stop them because he thinks he's the protagonist in some religious video-game.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 16, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
And Kevin talks to dead people and drinks poison to cure himself. John burns down houses.

Laurie, when not in a cult, is literally one of the scammers that Nora is against.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 16, 2017

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, Matt almost earned a whole paragraph. He still has (or had) some type of goal - approval from God. Recognition of his devotion. Nora doesn't have any motivation other than peacekeeping, personal harm, and admonishment for stolen valor.

Nora is a very compelling and nuanced character. I just don't know what is driving her at the moment, other than the loss of her family. Not to minimize that, but it's not a forward-looking plan. Kevin at least thinks he wants a stable family with Nora, but she doesn't seem to have similarly "normal" future wishes. It's not a criticism of the writing or anything like that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I really wanted Kev and Nora to have a smoke together and chill and finally chat about what's actually happening to them. But then Kevin almost burns down the hotel like it he was an international assassin or something :mad:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, Matt almost earned a whole paragraph. He still has (or had) some type of goal - approval from God. Recognition of his devotion. Nora doesn't have any motivation other than peacekeeping, personal harm, and admonishment for stolen valor.

Nora is a very compelling and nuanced character. I just don't know what is driving her at the moment, other than the loss of her family. Not to minimize that, but it's not a forward-looking plan. Kevin at least thinks he wants a stable family with Nora, but she doesn't seem to have similarly "normal" future wishes. It's not a criticism of the writing or anything like that.

I think it all goes back to two scenes from the first season. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYG8H-sfks

And the one where she's in the coffee shop and Jill sees her purposely knock her cup over to get a cheap jolt of attention and sympathy from the waiter.

Put those two scenes together and its like she genuinely does want to move on from her losses but she also defines herself and her relationships with others entirely by them. She both wants and doesn't want to be "Nora Cursed" for the rest of her life.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

sticklefifer posted:

I think that's an impossible point of view to hold because millions upon millions of people vanished without any explanation. Everybody you know may still be there, it didn't affect your life in anyway other than "Huh did you see the news", you can mask it all you want and walk through the world with a blasé attitude, but that's still such a fundamentally loving insane thing that it would eat away at a person's psyche.

Basically any character introduced with a "who cares" attitude would eventually turn out to be a serial killer with dozens of bodies crammed in their crawlspace.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Can someone explain what the deal was with the bricks thrown through windows in season 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

I think that's an impossible point of view to hold because millions upon millions of people vanished without any explanation. Everybody you know may still be there, it didn't affect your life in anyway other than "Huh did you see the news", you can mask it all you want and walk through the world with a blasé attitude, but that's still such a fundamentally loving insane thing that it would eat away at a person's psyche.

Basically any character introduced with a "who cares" attitude would eventually turn out to be a serial killer with dozens of bodies crammed in their crawlspace.

Think of how much the country was impacted by 9/11. This was an event where close to 3,000 people died. The departure would have wiped out 7 million American instantaneously. It would be hard not to know someone who departed.

Plus the sheer mystery behind it would cause chaos in the world. This wasn't an event like 9/11 where you can say 3,000 people died because terrorists flew planes into stuff. 7 million people would have disappeared and no one knows why. It could happen again at any minute for all they know. The world would be a really hosed up place. Something I think they've shown glimpses of (drones blowing up cults) but never given us the totality.

• Locked thread