Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

DC Captain Marvel shouldn't have a cape.

You have an ironic username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was about to post this.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't think anyone does facial expressions quite like Maguire. :allears:

All his faces look like someone took an awkward photo of someone mid-sentence. It's the greatest!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's literally his method.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Look, I'd honestly really enjoy a good defense of the cape. I'm not arguing against it on dumb tactical realism reasons. I love Captain Marvel's costume. It's just this overly ornate thing and ultimately distracts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It looks awesome.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's everyone's favourite example of a superhero being put in an unusual team for them? I kinda liked Namor in X-Men and I liked Beast in the Avengers.

Lobo in Justice League is very...strange and out of place.
Wolverine in every team that isn't filled with mutants (and even some of those)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Miss lion in the pet avengers. She doesn't have powers!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's everyone's favourite example of a superhero being put in an unusual team for them? I kinda liked Namor in X-Men and I liked Beast in the Avengers.

Spider-Man being on a team at all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Timeless Appeal posted:

Look, I'd honestly really enjoy a good defense of the cape. I'm not arguing against it on dumb tactical realism reasons. I love Captain Marvel's costume. It's just this overly ornate thing and ultimately distracts.
It's overly ornate because it's modeled on ceremonial capes to pair with his (original) military-style buttoned lapel. He was designed to look like a fantasy military and nobleman using cultural touchpoints that no longer exist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If Capt. Marvel's costume is good enough for Elvis it's good enough for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
half capes are great, and when somebody tries to replace a costume with a half cape with a new costume without a half cape, it's always worse. Shazam and Power Girl are proof

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Lobo in Justice League is very...strange and out of place.
Wolverine in every team that isn't filled with mutants (and even some of those)

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Man being on a team at all.

Bendis' New Avengers was my favorite Avengers line up ever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd say evidence points to good Justice League runs needing weird picks.
GMo had all sorts of people, Kelly had Plastic Man, Johns only got good when Lex Luthor joined.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gmo's League has a great lineup overall. He made Steel cool!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd say evidence points to good Justice League runs needing weird picks.
GMo had all sorts of people, Kelly had Plastic Man, Johns only got good when Lex Luthor joined.

The best Justice League only had batman and a bunch of b listers and one new god

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

bobkatt013 posted:

The best Justice League only had batman and a bunch of b listers and one new god

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As if everyone in the normal League past the Trinity isn't already b-listers or worse

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Flash and Green Lantern are bigger than Wonder Woman is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:psyduck:

https://twitter.com/NakatomiTim/status/862828385525010434

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Sciver's been a known piece of poo poo for over a decade now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

The Flash and Green Lantern are bigger than Wonder Woman is.

The Flash is almost up there because he's got a popular TV show now but Green Lantern is still about where Iron Man was before the MCU got started. Maybe if his movie had been good. Neither of them are Wonder Woman tier. I think DC goes like Batman, Harley Quinn, Superman, Wonder Woman. Everyone else is b-list or lower. Depending on who you ask Harley might be more popular than Batman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

purple death ray posted:

The Flash is almost up there because he's got a popular TV show now but Green Lantern is still about where Iron Man was before the MCU got started. Maybe if his movie had been good. Neither of them are Wonder Woman tier. I think DC goes like Batman, Harley Quinn, Superman, Wonder Woman. Everyone else is b-list or lower. Depending on who you ask Harley might be more popular than Batman.

Green Lantern doesn't anymore, I guess, but they both used to crush Wonder Woman in sales.

Plus the autistic guy from the Big Bang Theory wears their shirts all the time. That's big exposure.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 15, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Despite comic sales I am willing to bet more non comic readers knew who Wonder Woman was instead of Green Lantern. WW carries a lot more cultural recognition, has an iconic costume, a famous tv show, is a feminist icon etc.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I bet way more people know about the Invisible Jet or the Lasso of Truth than know any of the Green Lanterns actual names.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The name Jon Stewart is known the world around.

But yeah, I feel like it's general common cultural knowledge to know the basic deal of pretty much all of the JLA + Robin, but the thing that separates the "Trinity" from everyone else is that there have been like a dozen different versions of Flash/Green Lantern/Robin which muddies things up in terms of casual knowledge.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Green Lantern doesn't anymore, I guess, but they both used to crush Wonder Woman in sales.

Plus the autistic guy from the Big Bang Theory wears their shirts all the time. That's big exposure.

Comic book sales are pretty meaningless when you're talking about regular human beings

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The time Sheldon hid his money up Green Lantern's rear end was way more visible than Wonder Woman ever has been.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah....this is disturbing but well documented. I try and separate work from person life but he makes it really difficult. For all the talk of Spencer being an rear end in a top hat, it's true 100 fold for Sciver.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I never really cared for EVS's work one way or another and never went out of my way to buy a book because of him. I am glad that he isn't working on any titles I am buying now, but honestly I rarely buy books because of the artist on them (and with DC it makes it quite easy seeing how they rotate artists without a care anyway). The best thing would be if he stopped getting work altogether.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Her anime outfit wasn't bad, although I mainly like it for the shoulderpad cape

Man, I really like this one, mostly because the gold accents on black accessories make her look a lot like the Black Panther. This is a proper Queen of Wakanda outfit.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The X-Men anime was pretty decent (and from what I've heard, the best that came out of Madhouse's Marvel anime projects).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A few months ago, I mentioned that my brother wrote and directed a movie that was shown at Sundance and got picked up by Fox Searchlight for a shitload of money. Welp, now Patti Cake$ has a trailer.

Originally, the movie was supposed to come out on July 7, but it got pulled back to August 18. Probably for the better not to come out the same day as Spider-Man.

So anyway, go see it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gavok posted:

A few months ago, I mentioned that my brother wrote and directed a movie that was shown at Sundance and got picked up by Fox Searchlight for a shitload of money. Welp, now Patti Cake$ has a trailer.

Originally, the movie was supposed to come out on July 7, but it got pulled back to August 18. Probably for the better not to come out the same day as Spider-Man.

So anyway, go see it.

The trailer is great. I'll definitely keep my eye out for it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just saw a post about it on Film Junk and now I know why it seemed familiar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

So anyway, go see it.

On my phone so I can't watch right now,but I wanted to quote this to make it easier to find later and offer congratulations to your friend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No one sings like you anymore.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Rip Chris Cornell. I know he wasn't really comic related but just like comics were part of my youth so was Soundgarden. I remember my cousin pumping out Superunknown in the car after he bought me a Daredevil comic from a local newstand and for some reason that day has always stood out for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Rip Chris Cornell. I know he wasn't really comic related but just like comics were part of my youth so was Soundgarden. I remember my cousin pumping out Superunknown in the car after he bought me a Daredevil comic from a local newstand and for some reason that day has always stood out for me.

I saw SG/Cornell live more than any other band in my life. I hope he found some sort of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol marvel thread loves secret empire.

• Locked thread