Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Holy poo poo.

He has dropped all pretense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

drat, the actual, self aware racism is so thick, you could cut it with a butter knife. Like that is astoundingly, impossibly self aware.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Ague Proof posted:

Holy poo poo.

"Two scoops of vanilla ice cream with dinner eh?" Ben Garrison says. "That gives me the perfect visual metaphor!" He plants a tender kiss on his framed photo of George Wallace and gets back to doing God's work.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qm0KUPeD8

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Holy poo poo.

I mean there isn't any actual joke here besides the "excuse me but heh I'm white :smug:", but I'm also kind of disturbed that the sapient ice cream cone appears to be visibly salivating at the thought of eating itself, that's super hosed-up

what horrors has your white-nationalism wrought upon this world, Benjamin Garrison

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vanilla is the choice ice cream flavor for people who hate flavor

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Iron Crowned posted:

Well-done steak and ketchup

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Holy poo poo.

Rocky Road is a superior flavor to plain, bland vanilla. AGC

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Hail Satan.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

That'll do, Mr. Fish. That'll do.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Office Pig posted:

That'll do, Mr. Fish. That'll do.

Rip and tear up the constitution until it is done

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

World Famous W posted:

I was a hundred percent serious, thanks for opening my eyes to the fact that people like interacting with reality.

Scott Adams is a stupid motherfucker is the main point

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

vanilla has a flavor, it's vanilla. it does good work when mixed with other flavors to enchance them (hence the many many vanilla/chocolate swirls ice cream varieties)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Avirosb posted:

Back in MY day they at least put some effort into it.
More "look at my artistic skills" and less "look at my face".

People have been photographing themselves for literally as long as photos have been around.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

vanilla has a flavor, it's vanilla. it does good work when mixed with other flavors to enchance them (hence the many many vanilla/chocolate swirls ice cream varieties)

Too interracial for the likes of Ben Garrison.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Being typecast as "the basic unadorned default ice cream flavor" for decades and decades has really done bad things for vanilla's PR IMO

It's a good flavor, Brent

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's nothing wrong with vanilla unless it is being used as an explicit metaphor for whiteness and being claimed as somehow superior to the other flavors, and also it's real keen on the idea of eating itself, and has hair, and a face.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vanilla is ok as a flavor, but when people get only two scoops of vanilla, what they're saying is that if they could get flavorless ice cream they would

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I'm the guy who buys Ben & Jerry's vanilla. The concept of excitement fills me with disgust.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I grew up in a family that only eats vanilla ice cream.

My parents wouldn't buy me mint chocolate chip because no one else would eat it, and I wasn't allowed to eat enough ice cream to eat the whole box before it got to that weird gummy consistency.

The little bottles of Magic Shell were the only way I could enjoy ice cream, because it gave me a fleeting sense of what ice cream could be.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mexican Vanilla is good, but it seems to be mysteriously vanishing from the shelves for some reason.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is clotted cream ice cream a thing outside the UK? That seems much more plain than vanilla.

I suspect vanilla only came to mean plain because it's white. Accidental racial commentary there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Americans don't know what clotted cream is and they are frightened by the name

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Vanilla is ok as a flavor, but when people get only two scoops of vanilla, what they're saying is that if they could get flavorless ice cream they would

You'd disagree with the entirety of China then, those people love vanilla ice cream. It didn't matter where I went, I was always about two meters from some form of vanilla ice cream. Rows of it on grocery store shelves, bowls of it on every restaurant menu, even just solid blocks of vanilla ice cream with no stick on sale along the side of the road. It did definitely have a more distinct flavor than most stuff you could find in the US though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ramos posted:

You'd disagree with the entirety of China then, those people love vanilla ice cream. It didn't matter where I went, I was always about two meters from some form of vanilla ice cream. Rows of it on grocery store shelves, bowls of it on every restaurant menu, even just solid blocks of vanilla ice cream with no stick on sale along the side of the road. It did definitely have a more distinct flavor than most stuff you could find in the US though.

China sounds lame HTH

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Is clotted cream ice cream a thing outside the UK? That seems much more plain than vanilla.

I suspect vanilla only came to mean plain because it's white. Accidental racial commentary there.

I think so to -- it's close to the same color that unflavored frozen cream is so it seems like a "default", as though every other flavor was vanilla before they added the other flavors to it

I'm pro-vanilla-extract in all things really, it's insanely good even if it was the first or second thing somebody thought of putting in ice cream 150 years ago

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you like vanilla, that's fine. But sometimes people like other flavors. And that's fine too. Sometimes people like to put stuff on their vanilla ice cream, and that's cool as well. The only issue is when you only eat vanilla and want to force everyone to do so too.

Something something this is a metaphor for sex.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FBS posted:

It's incisive commentary!

I didn't make it and I don't know the source, sorry

Where's the debt?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

If you like vanilla, that's fine. But sometimes people like other flavors. And that's fine too. Sometimes people like to put stuff on their vanilla ice cream, and that's cool as well. The only issue is when you only eat vanilla and want to force everyone to do so too.

Something something this is a metaphor for sex.

well I WAS going to segue smoothly into calling for the illegalization of all non-vanilla ice creams, but now I guess I won't :(

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Actual vanilla is goddamn delicious but most vanilla ice cream barely tastes of it.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

I hear there's a party for that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Strong opinions about ice cream in this thread.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Avirosb posted:

I thought "dude" was a sixties thing.

It's been a word for well over a century, but before the 60s it was a word for city slickers. That's where the term dude ranch comes from.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

euphronius posted:

Autistic screeching is not an argument.

Hahahah

I think Garrison is confused, the "free speech activists" were the ones chanting "normies out!"

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Why is Lauren wearing a helmet? Also, why do the sickos with ear piercings care about the OK symbol? Also, and this is important, WHO THE gently caress ARE ANY OF THOSE PEOPLE?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

KillerQueen posted:

Why is Lauren wearing a helmet? Also, why do the sickos with ear piercings care about the OK symbol? Also, and this is important, WHO THE gently caress ARE ANY OF THOSE PEOPLE?

They're shitheads. You can tell this because they paid to be put on a Garrison cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

KillerQueen posted:

Also, why do the sickos with ear piercings care about the OK symbol?

alt-right internet types keyed in on coverage of coded white supremacist language, and started promoting various innocuous things as being white supremacist symbols. The OK gesture is one of those. Note this is difficult to generally evaluate with certainty; because of the faux-ironic trolling reality-attacking approach these people use with everything, it's likely that a bunch of them, knowingly or not, do use these fake signifiers as actual white supremacist indicators.

• Locked thread