Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Buck the trend, get full moon discs.

The only somewhat-modern car moons work on is the Roadmaster wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryrobots posted:

Got my "loan paid in full" notice from the bank yesterday, on my wife's cr-v. Woop woop.

Unfortunately the letter was ambiguous about whether I would receive a title, or have to request it from the DMV. Car was purchased brand new, anybody know how this works?

Typically the title is proof of ownership so the bank physically holds it, when you receive it it should be stamped with some form of "lien released" or similar.

Depending on your bank it may take some time before you receive it, it took my bank over four months to release the title and that was after making a call a week for the last month.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, Enourmo, I've probably failed more exams than you've taken. But things like degrees are a ratchet, once you get up that next click, you're good, how and how long don't matter any more. Then get yourself in the door somewhere, and it becomes about your capability, people have seen too many imbeciles with massive theoretical knowledge and great qualifications who can't actually do anything. Get that inertia of being known as competent and things just kind of roll along with or without the qualification.

In some areas of my life, I'm both terminally lazy and quite rubbish. But people don't see that so much if the bit that directly affects them is going according to plan.

And yes, you are not your mother, and the world she was dealing with is not the world as it is now.

This is absolutely true. I'm in my mid-30's, spent more than a decade in kitchens, and now have a great job with an excellent IT company because I was willing to learn fast and work hard. It may not be glamorous, but once you're in the door it's all about what you can prove to them you can do rather than what's on your resume. I've failed out of college twice now thanks to being dirt poor and needing to chose between classes and eating, still don't have a degree, and make almost double the median wage for my state now. I'm still busting my rear end to make sure that when it comes time for my next review, they want to give me more money to keep me.

Gotta catch up, after all. It'd be nice to own a house someday, and I'm fifteen years behind in starting a 401k so I don't end up in a run-down state nursing home when I get old.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Geoj posted:

Typically the title is proof of ownership so the bank physically holds it, when you receive it it should be stamped with some form of "lien released" or similar.

Depending on your bank it may take some time before you receive it, it took my bank over four months to release the title and that was after making a call a week for the last month.

I'm wondering if an actual state issued title was ever printed...we bought the car new so I assume if the bank had anything it was the certificate of origin provided by Honda?

I'm thinking either I get nothing (bank sends CO to DMV and they record the release of lien; I have to request a printed title) or the DMV sends me a new title in the next couple weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I just road raged on hardcore and I have no idea why. I had to run back to work and fix something real quick and on the return trip I passed some cars in the left lane and a truck (turned out to be an Avalanche) started riding my rear end, honking and flashing his lights. So I hit it and pulled away but he persisted. I got to my exit and barely hit the brakes and well, he must have thought he was driving a different car because he took the exit curve at full speed and ran right off the highway. I have no idea if they wrecked or are dead. gently caress em.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So a 2006 Cobalt LTZ with 85k is worth $8k, right? :v:

Old roommates said they're picking it up tomorrow. 25% APR, buy here pay here lot. And I thought I overpaid for my Ionry (which is pretty much the same car).

angryrobots posted:

I'm wondering if an actual state issued title was ever printed...we bought the car new so I assume if the bank had anything it was the certificate of origin provided by Honda?

I'm thinking either I get nothing (bank sends CO to DMV and they record the release of lien; I have to request a printed title) or the DMV sends me a new title in the next couple weeks.

FWIW, my registration said "electronic title on file" until I paid my car off. Pretty sure the bank didn't have a physical copy of the title; once it was paid off I got a paper title with no lienholder.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So I just road raged on hardcore and I have no idea why. I had to run back to work and fix something real quick and on the return trip I passed some cars in the left lane and a truck (turned out to be an Avalanche) started riding my rear end, honking and flashing his lights. So I hit it and pulled away but he persisted. I got to my exit and barely hit the brakes and well, he must have thought he was driving a different car because he took the exit curve at full speed and ran right off the highway. I have no idea if they wrecked or are dead. gently caress em.

lmao you should have gone back to do the nelson ha-ha

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

How is that a road rage on your half? It sounds more like gave a douchebag a lesson in not being stupid.

Unless you mean you got road raged then that is especially (NELSON) HA HA!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How is that a road rage on your half? It sounds more like gave a douchebag a lesson in not being stupid.

Unless you mean you got road raged then that is especially (NELSON) HA HA!

Yes sorry, I got road raged on. Nothing on the news sites about a fatal crash or anything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's an Avalanche. Nothing of value was lost.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hopefully they haven't found his body down there yet

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I almost ripped the back of a pizza guy's car off pulling into a plaza earlier. I was coming off the mainroad which basically requires making a u-turn; I paused to make sure it was clear, then carried forward. Suddenly he loving guns backwards out of his spot it when it's too late for me to stop, like seriously if I hadn't been looking straight at him when he started moving I physically could not have reacted in time. We both slammed our brakes, came to a stop with me blocking him in, him a blond oval office hair away from my front fender. He tried aggressively waving me back until he realized there were like 4 cars behind me coming off the road (because that's how parking lot entrances work) , punched his roof and pulled back in so I could drive past.

Like, guy, I get your job makes you rush, but it's gonna be a shitload worse if you run into someone due to carelessness. If he'd been easing out of his spot when I turned I would have waited for him.'

Drivers R dum, news at 11.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think my new gimmick will be posting about looking forward to the future where humans can't repair or drive cars and can only have their vehicle looked at and repaired by state run facilities who make sure no funny business or performance parts or manual overrides are installed

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 15, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wait poo poo I already post about that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone elsewhere asked me to clarify, this is basically what happened. The red line is the route I took. The blue line is where the truck went.

If memory serves there's a pretty big ditch in that direction, right before the northbound on ramp.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

Someone elsewhere asked me to clarify, this is basically what happened. The red line is the route I took. The blue line is where the truck went.

If memory serves there's a pretty big ditch in that direction, right before the northbound on ramp.

Go back after a week: if they haven't found the body by then, you are legally* allowed to strip any useful parts from the vehicle.

*Not a lawyer

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao you should have gone back to do the nelson ha-ha

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Shitposting from 40k feet. The A380 is pretty schwank. And Dubai is basically the answer to the question: "What do I do with a strip of desert and more billions than I know what to do with?"

Also, the Burj Khalifa is nuts. We had light aircraft flying around below us. And we werent even at the top.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

One of my classmates owns a wind/solar energy business in Dubai and she always brings weird poo poo back to share with the rest of us. Dubai is one of those bucket list places to visit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well poo poo. My hand felt fine so I lifted last night and now my wrist is jacked. I mean, it's useable, I can type and lift things but I just picked up a weight and I couldn't hold it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i cant think of a single reason to go to dubai

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

i cant think of a single reason to go to dubai

being able to leave?

wait from what I've heard that's not a given nevermind

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Enourmo posted:

being able to leave?

wait from what I've heard that's not a given nevermind

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Enourmo posted:

being able to leave?

Just don't break any of a ton of dumb laws or get in debt so the police don't confiscate your passport and leave you stranded in the slums with no hope and you will be fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Or be Atheist, like me, which is still largely a crime.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 15, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Or be Athiest, like me, which is still largely a crime.

Atheist*

c'mon, son

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Atheist*

c'mon, son

gently caress man, I'm a Physics major, not an English major.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Right, go back to your nucular plants.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

What's so special about that? I have one in my driveway that ISN'T covered layers of desert.

The Ferarri's nice too though :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Right, go back to your nucular plants.

Don't you drag Bush into this.

Abandoned Audi RS2 Avant in Dubai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-KGaHb0NA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I feel like taking a team in and trying to get those cars running under dark of night would be almost worth getting caught and being subject to whichever weird rear end-backwards punishment they'd dole out. Also why hasn't there been a F&F film made about such a heist?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Can you buy those abandoned cars for cheap or no

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People have been trying for years now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. My hand felt fine so I lifted last night and now my wrist is jacked. I mean, it's useable, I can type and lift things but I just picked up a weight and I couldn't hold it.

Don't feel bad, I did yard work all weekend, planted four trees and moved two (lots of digging), so my hands feel like mush and I can barely make a fist.

Doesn't help that I'm probably in the early stages of arthritis either :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CommieGIR posted:

Or be Atheist, like me, which is still largely a crime.

Not exactly a friendly place for LGBT individuals either.

gay atheist checking in, I'd probably be dead before I got off the plane

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I feel like taking a team in and trying to get those cars running under dark of night would be almost worth getting caught and being subject to whichever weird rear end-backwards punishment they'd dole out. Also why hasn't there been a F&F film made about such a heist?
http://www.mondaq.co.uk/x/296782/Crime/Theft+Article+Punishments

quote:

Theft carries a punishment of imprisonment from 6 months up to 3 years or a fine.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Can you buy those abandoned cars for cheap or no

https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/the-story-behind-dubais-abandoned-supercars

quote:

If there’s one good thing to come of the UAE’s abandoned car epidemic, it’s that car lovers can at least pick up some phenomenal machines at discount prices. Owners of luxury cars impounded by police have 15 days to come and claim their vehicle, before the car is auctioned off.

Most of the cars are sold by the authorities for pennies on the dollar, and given that thousands of cars are auctioned off each year there is at least an opportunity to get yourself a serious bargain. Just make sure you can afford the repayments.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Not exactly a friendly place for LGBT individuals either.

gay atheist checking in, I'd probably be dead before I got off the plane

:smith: Them too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't feel bad, I did yard work all weekend, planted four trees and moved two (lots of digging), so my hands feel like mush and I can barely make a fist.

Doesn't help that I'm probably in the early stages of arthritis either :smith:

That sucks man. But I ain't too far behind you. I fluxed back up to 183 so I really want to get back on this. My trainer buddy said to wrap my wrist and not touch a weight for a week. And I was gonna sand the Miata headlights today. :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That sucks man. But I ain't too far behind you. I fluxed back up to 183 so I really want to get back on this. My trainer buddy said to wrap my wrist and not touch a weight for a week. And I was gonna sand the Miata headlights today. :(

Athletic tape works wonders for your wrists man, you wouldn't think tape would help but it really supports your wrists and prevents injuries, just look at all the MLB and NFL players that use it. Wrap that poo poo up before workouts to prevent further injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZwd69R8aK8

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will do! I'm just using a velcro lock brace for now but it's thick and my wrist gets sweaty quickly. I'll grab some tape when I run my errands later.

• Locked thread