Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had some electrical run out for an outdoor kitchen that I am going to start building in the next few weeks. I'm reviewing things and getting caught up on the water heater. When I was setting this up, I asked for a circuit sufficient to run a small water heater for a faucet and a shower; the shower would eventually be installed for rinsing off after swimming and would just be for quick things. That being said, they put in a 120V 20A circuit for it. I'm having a rough time finding something suitable for 110VAC with that little bit of amperage and is also suitable outdoors. Is this a thing? Am I going to have to forego that circuit and set up a propane system?

Edit: This heater is about 13 feet away from the faucet and the shower hot lines, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had some electrical run out for an outdoor kitchen that I am going to start building in the next few weeks. I'm reviewing things and getting caught up on the water heater. When I was setting this up, I asked for a circuit sufficient to run a small water heater for a faucet and a shower; the shower would eventually be installed for rinsing off after swimming and would just be for quick things. That being said, they put in a 120V 20A circuit for it. I'm having a rough time finding something suitable for 110VAC with that little bit of amperage and is also suitable outdoors. Is this a thing? Am I going to have to forego that circuit and set up a propane system?

Edit: This heater is about 13 feet away from the faucet and the shower hot lines, if that helps.

They really should have installed 220v service, most of the heaters you see will require a higher current than 120v is capable of supplying. I would maybe look at buying some point of use tankless heaters instead. I don't know how well they work, but unless you complain to your electrician to switch the supply line, might be about all you can put in there on 120v. Also check pot the Bosch 2.5 gallon point of use unit. You can also get similar stuff for your shower, or an electrified shower head, which is a popular solution in south America and China.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 14, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Probably a lot of the work is burying the conduit and all that for the outside circuit. Maybe pulling out the 12-2 and replacing it with 12-3 (or whatever you need for three phase) isn't much more than just pulling the wire out with some pull string on the other end and pulling the right wire in, and replacing the breaker and the fixture. Call the electrician, and tell him, it maybe worth getting him out here for a couple more hours to do it right. An outdoor kitchen is a fantastic luxury, I'd want it to be perfect, saving a couple hundred bucks for that compromise may not be worth it.

H110Hawk posted:

Effort+money:reward blown in is great stuff. That's what we did. It has a lifetime measured in decades and is future-me's problem if I realize the top of my walls are hot from settling. If your dad would like to rip your house to the studs to min/max this for you let him. Check if your state will pay for part of the cost for your cellulose. I would have done it even if they didn't pay for part of it.

Do not blow in fiberglass or let anyone convince you of putting in fiberglass bats in your attic. Why add fiberglass to your house?

I'm going to call someone too look into this, thanks! What do you suggest for the attic? I need to do some insulating in the knee walls of my cape cod. I just need to figure out that window j-channel stuff first, it's my current project.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm going to call someone too look into this, thanks! What do you suggest for the attic? I need to do some insulating in the knee walls of my cape cod. I just need to figure out that window j-channel stuff first, it's my current project.

Just keep blowing! :q:

If you have any electrical you want to do in the attic do it before it's like 2' deep in insulation. If you want to save a couple bucks you could do the attic yourself, but it's a 1 day job for a contractor. You have to build little dams around your attic entry, fireplace, forced air unit, etc.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

If you have any electrical you want to do in the attic do it before it's like 2' deep in insulation.

Oh my god, yes. You don't want to go digging through blown in fiberglass.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Having 2 issues with my toaster oven:

1st, the timer knob stopped dinging and stopping at 0 and would continue tick past 0 which would eventually bring it to its always on position.

2nd, the oven started to turn off even when the timer was in a non 0 position. For a bit it would only stay on if the timer was set very high (above 30 mins) and then turn off as soon as it dropped below that point, but eventually the oven refused to turn on regardless of the timer position.

I disassembled most of the oven to expose the backside of the control panel and found one of the wires that leads to the timer knob had become disconnected:

I assume this explains issue #2, but I'm not sure about #1. Should I replace the timer/bell assembly, or would the wire issue explain #1 as well?

Finally, does anyone know of any resources for learning how to fix the wire issue? I've never had to do anything like this before.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

OSU_Matthew posted:

They really should have installed 220v service, most of the heaters you see will require a higher current than 120v is capable of supplying. I would maybe look at buying some point of use tankless heaters instead. I don't know how well they work, but unless you complain to your electrician to switch the supply line, might be about all you can put in there on 120v.

We might just redo it, but I can get something like this: http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/products/electric/6-20-soms-k-19-gallon-compact-electric-water-heater-6-year-warranty

The point-of-use heaters aren't really useful for things like the pool shower. Well, at least a 110VAC one is only going to run half a gallon a minute when a shower normally gobbles upwards of 2.5 gallons.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Probably a lot of the work is burying the conduit and all that for the outside circuit. Maybe pulling out the 12-2 and replacing it with 12-3 (or whatever you need for three phase) isn't much more than just pulling the wire out with some pull string on the other end and pulling the right wire in, and replacing the breaker and the fixture. Call the electrician, and tell him, it maybe worth getting him out here for a couple more hours to do it right. An outdoor kitchen is a fantastic luxury, I'd want it to be perfect, saving a couple hundred bucks for that compromise may not be worth it.

I will probably call to ask, but it might not be worth the fuss if I can have a 20-gallon tank or so. It's a luxury, sure, but we're talking them installing circuits more like my air conditioner. The inline heaters I was seeing to do a sink and shower were asking for more than 40A.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Splinter posted:

Having 2 issues with my toaster oven:

1st, the timer knob stopped dinging and stopping at 0 and would continue tick past 0 which would eventually bring it to its always on position.

2nd, the oven started to turn off even when the timer was in a non 0 position. For a bit it would only stay on if the timer was set very high (above 30 mins) and then turn off as soon as it dropped below that point, but eventually the oven refused to turn on regardless of the timer position.

I disassembled most of the oven to expose the backside of the control panel and found one of the wires that leads to the timer knob had become disconnected:

I assume this explains issue #2, but I'm not sure about #1. Should I replace the timer/bell assembly, or would the wire issue explain #1 as well?

Finally, does anyone know of any resources for learning how to fix the wire issue? I've never had to do anything like this before.

Like how to physically fix the wire connection? Get back at the connection and see what kind it is. You'll need to strip the wire a little to expose some conductor and then redo however it was attached. If it's soldered, you can just re-solder it, which if you don't have all the tools, you'll have to get an iron, which isn't expensive. Soldering is an art form that is mostly lost, and it takes a while to get good at. Your toaster I guess isn't a bad way to learn, but you risk the electrically hot wire coming off the switch and shorting out and causing a fire.

If it's a crimp and space connector, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg9hjqkJWmg

You can just recrimp it and reattach it. I can't tell from the picture, but I also don't know the normal methode to assemble toasters, in a microwave it'd likely be crimp and spade, maybe a toaster is similar. Either way, it's a quick fix like the video shows.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What does 3 phase have to do with anything residential? The wiring doesn't necessarily need to change either.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Yeah, provided the heater doesn't have anything that runs at 120v (240v ovens for example have clocks/timers/etc that run at 120v), the neutral can just become the second leg. Easy as replacing a breaker.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, provided the heater doesn't have anything that runs at 120v (240v ovens for example have clocks/timers/etc that run at 120v), the neutral can just become the second leg. Easy as replacing a breaker.

Well there is a question of the gauge of the wire to handle the extra current. The heaters don't just need 240V; they need upwards of 40A.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The point-of-use heaters aren't really useful for things like the pool shower. Well, at least a 110VAC one is only going to run half a gallon a minute when a shower normally gobbles upwards of 2.5 gallons.

i did manage to find a 2GPM one that worked on 110VAC, but needed 29 amps

and cost twice as much as the one that uses a bbq propane tank and works way better

edit: or be like me. "well it'll save money in the long run!" :suicide:

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 15, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
To be fair, I did look at the propane ones, but that's reaching a point where I kind of need a big boy propane tank between that, the grill, and the burner. And that leaves me with a 110VAC circuit jerking around outside.

On another topic, does anybody have an opinion on steel studs for an outdoor kitchen? I am pretty sure I need to stick to concrete block for my pizza oven, but metal studs are looking mighty nice for the rest. I have to do some goofy crap to fit in a sink and items that have to be suspended below counter height. It looks like that will be much easier with metal studs. It also looks like rusty death hell. I have been compelled to believe that so long as I use a galvanizing paint on just about every cut and hole I make, and wrap both sides in hardiboard that it should hold up.

...What about concrete paneling? I am calling some places to see if that's a thing here but I never heard of it until today. Apparently you can just stack that up and glue it. Yes, glue.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr. Mambold posted:

What does 3 phase have to do with anything residential? The wiring doesn't necessarily need to change either.

You are correct, I mistakenly refered to 240V as three phase, but it that's incorrect.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Look do you want your water hot or not? :black101:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

To be fair, I did look at the propane ones, but that's reaching a point where I kind of need a big boy propane tank between that, the grill, and the burner. And that leaves me with a 110VAC circuit jerking around outside.

Owning N+1 normal sized propane tanks is pretty normal, and then you have 110VAC for lighting, stereo, wifi, etc. No one has ever said "You know what I hate, this utility outlet." You can heat a lot of stuff off a regular propane tank.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

H110Hawk posted:

Look do you want your water hot or not? :black101:

Oigi 3 phase now lukewarm, middlin hot, hot as hell

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

Oigi 3 phase now lukewarm, middlin hot, hot as hell

https://www.waterheaterstore.co/proddetail.asp?prod=32336&pname=rheem_booster_e1036g_480volt_36kw_3phase_10gallon_electric_43amps

For all your pre-pool sanitizing needs!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and help with the fan installation questions and also show that people do listen to advice in this forum. ;)

As a small side note, the box was nailed to the joist but it was through this metal hanger bar so it was kind of a pain in the rear end to pound the old box out. Took some extra pry bar work to get it out of the way enough to install the new box.

Properly installed fan box

The wreckage.

The happy boy's very cool fan.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Just to clarify, as a picture never tells the whole story - Did you properly secure that romex (plastic grommet or romex connector) where it enters the box before buttoning everything up?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

vulturesrow posted:

Properly installed fan box

Not seeing a cable clamp?

or

e:fb

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 15, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Slugworth posted:

Just to clarify, as a picture never tells the whole story - Did you properly secure that romex (plastic grommet or romex connector) where it enters the box before buttoning everything up?

Are you talking about the little black connector that sits in the knockout hole? If so, yes. Otherwise, what did I screw up?

I'm laughing because when I wrote "properly installed" I knew that there would be something that I missed.

And thank you (and the other responder) for pointing it out. I am really very keen on doing these sort of DIY things correctly.

e: Yes I put that black thing in the knockout hole in the box. What is the importance of it?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Keeps the wire from getting frayed. Especially important on something vibrate-y like a fan.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It also keeps the wire inside the box from moving if something tugs on the wire outside the box, which could otherwise undo your connections, leave hot wires contacting the box, etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Obviously neither of these are DIY projects but im getting my roof torn off and redone and doing some major landscaping outside including new grass. Which do I have done first? I'm concerned that the roofers will gently caress up the yard but also that the bobcat guy wont want to drive over potential roof nails.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do the roof first. Roofers should be using tarps to capture almost all the debris, but they'll still gently caress up your yard. In fact if you let them they'll park a haulaway truck right below the roof and chuck stuff straight into it.

And I'd be surprised if a bobcat can't handle a nail through the tire. If you're that worried about nails, buy or rent a metal detector.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do the roof first. Roofers should be using tarps to capture almost all the debris, but they'll still gently caress up your yard. In fact if you let them they'll park a haulaway truck right below the roof and chuck stuff straight into it.

And I'd be surprised if a bobcat can't handle a nail through the tire. If you're that worried about nails, buy or rent a metal detector.

Everything about this. You will be finding nails forever after doing a roof. Letting the roofers destroy your yard to make their job easier should make them happy.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

H110Hawk posted:

Everything about this. You will be finding nails forever after doing a roof. Letting the roofers destroy your yard to make their job easier should make them happy.

I wonder if I can make them magnet the grounds under penalty of paying for bobcat repairs if they leave a nail.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Elendil004 posted:

I wonder if I can make them magnet the grounds under penalty of paying for bobcat repairs if they leave a nail.

Don't worry about the skid steer tires--they are tough. More likely to push the nail in the dirt than the tire. Plus most operators have a $5 patch kit in their truck if a nail does get in the tire and air actually leaks.

Gravel driveways and roof replacements is when it gets ugly. Car tires seem to find the nails better. There are roller magnets which do a decent job of finding the nails. Four or five passes over an area and you'll find all sorts of stuff. ($25 version Others)

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 16, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding the water heater, I can pay $300 to upgrade to roughly 240V 30A but going higher means a really beefy wire. I probably cannot do that with what I have for conduit.

Meanwhile, it looks like running a shower is 70A or higher. If I planned to shower every day outside then I could see it. It looks like the 120V, 19 gallon heater is good enough.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Regarding the water heater, I can pay $300 to upgrade to roughly 240V 30A but going higher means a really beefy wire. I probably cannot do that with what I have for conduit.

Meanwhile, it looks like running a shower is 70A or higher. If I planned to shower every day outside then I could see it. It looks like the 120V, 19 gallon heater is good enough.

That math's not right. Remember amperage halves when you go from 120 to 240. This is why we're idiots for having 120 at all while Europe are all about 240. Check what typical water heaters are rated at.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

H110Hawk posted:

You just need a good crew. We found maybe 2 or 3 nails ever after ours. Of course, my wife put out work coolers full of gatorade and cold tea for them. KIndness helps when someone is doing an important thing for you.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

You just need a good crew. We found maybe 2 or 3 nails ever after ours. Of course, my wife put out work coolers full of gatorade and cold tea for them. KIndness helps when someone is doing an important thing for you.

They're not doing you a favor though. If I trashed a client facility at most jobs I had, I would be fired in a likely failed attempt to keep my employer from getting fired, and then when it didn't work my ex-employer would've come after me for tens of millions in court.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

They're not doing you a favor though. If I trashed a client facility at most jobs I had, I would be fired in a likely failed attempt to keep my employer from getting fired, and then when it didn't work my ex-employer would've come after me for tens of millions in court.

I mean, on the one hand, you're right, but on the other hand in practice I consider myself lucky if the worst that happens when I hire contractors for heavy labor is I have to clean up a couple discarded bottles of tequila.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I randomly found poo poo for awhile after getting out roof done. The company I paid also subbed out the removal and they were just trying to fly. I ended up running over a nail with my car and the roofing company just let me deduct it from my payment, probably happens often.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Mr. Mambold posted:

That math's not right. Remember amperage halves when you go from 120 to 240. This is why we're idiots for having 120 at all while Europe are all about 240. Check what typical water heaters are rated at.

Eh, but Europe is idiots for using 50 hz instead of 60 so it kind of balances out.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I am in the process of sanding / stripping a failed stain from my deck. I want a clean slate to put on a high quality stain which won't require attention every 6 months. I plan on renting a floor sander this weekend - but I'm curious if anyone has any experience doing this.

-How many sanding pads should I pick up if my deck is~1000sqft?
-How long would such a deck take to sand? If I can get it in under 4 hours I can save some money on the rental.
-I plan on ending with 100 grit, or should I go finer?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bozart posted:

Eh, but Europe is idiots for using 50 hz instead of 60 so it kind of balances out.

Please explain why? (I genuinely don't know)

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I am in the process of sanding / stripping a failed stain from my deck. I want a clean slate to put on a high quality stain which won't require attention every 6 months. I plan on renting a floor sander this weekend - but I'm curious if anyone has any experience doing this.

-How long would such a deck take to sand? If I can get it in under 4 hours I can save some money on the rental.

Why are you sanding when you can pressure wash that poo poo off?

I'm in the same boat but mine is a 2nd story wooden patio addition thing. My plan is to pressure wash the old stain off then re-stain with a pump sprayer. I don't know if you seen the stuff from Behr they have a deck over product that looks like it would hold up longer than stain.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Super 3 posted:

Why are you sanding when you can pressure wash that poo poo off?

I'm in the same boat but mine is a 2nd story wooden patio addition thing. My plan is to pressure wash the old stain off then re-stain with a pump sprayer. I don't know if you seen the stuff from Behr they have a deck over product that looks like it would hold up longer than stain.

The stain is failing, but some of it is still tightly adherent so my pressure washer isn't taking it all up. I want to take it all to bare wood and start over. We also have two little ones and the deck will (within the next 5 years, I'd say) be producing splinters so I figure sanding it will be a good investment.

Strangely enough some of the boards are already rotted through. The house is only 7 years old, so the previous owner must have used older stuff to make the deck. Most of the wood is in decent shape.

I actually tried a sample spot with the Deckover - I wasn't too impressed with the coverage / sq-ft. From the reviews I see online and from contacting a Behr rep, the stuff is meant for heavily weathered wood for it to bond well. A lot of people say it peels up after only a year or two and are very unhappy with it. I would do some research before you commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

How many pads and how long it would take depend on your deck. It could go real quick, it could take a couple days. I'd say that you could get it done in under a day though.

100 grit would probably be rough enough to feel with your bare feet. I'd go finer.