Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It's awesome that Jeter being the most overrated player in baseball history isn't even controversial anymore. And kudos to the Astros for knocking the poo poo out of the ball in the first inning to crown the event the way it should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

N: Jays swept Seattle and. Have now won their last 5.

V: Jays have been on a hot streak, but I still think they're hosed and won't make playoffs this year. Glad Sanchez is apparently done being hurt for the time being. I have mixed feelings about the other guys on the DL aside from Happ because the guys playing right now have something going and I'd hate to yoink someone like Goins when he's having a career year. I could do without Pearce but I'm not 100% convinced that Carrera could last the whole season playing full length games. He tanked bad when they tried giving him extra playing time.

I too would rather Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney play instead of Josh Donaldson and Troy Tulowitzki.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Derek Jeter was a really good baseball player for a long time, I'll see myself out.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

bewbies posted:

Derek Jeter was a really good baseball player for a long time, I'll see myself out.

You got a lot of balls coming around here mister

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

This is more true than all of the ridiculously contrarian "Actually Jeter was...very bad!" shitposting that has seized the entire online baseball community.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bewbies posted:

real talk: Jeter was an inverse Tony Romo, sort of. Above average most of the time, came up big when it mattered a lot. He's a hall of famer for sure, but the whole circle-jerk over him is bad. If he had that sort of career anywhere BUT NY, Chicago or Boston (maybe LA), ESPN may request the rights to that specific game, but by no means would they do the hours long circle jerk about him.

Who would have thought trying to shove something in someone's faces as "THE BEST EVAR" would backfire! (*cough* cubs fans *cough*)

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 15, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The Giants finally figured out this weekend that the season has started.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bewbies posted:

mods ?!?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also with all this Jeter business going reminded me that we should all demand an explanation why Allen Alan Trammell isn't in the HoF.

edit see I didn't even get his goddamn name right

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually, question. Did ESPN do this sort of poo poo when Griffey's number was retired? He's probably the only person with any sort of clout that Jeter had in the public eye.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Der Meister posted:

Why is Arrieta dead? What happened?

I don't know exactly what happened but he's been bad since the start of last June. 4.42 ERA since June 2016.

Jeter was pretty good. His lifetime slash is 310/377/440. His defense was extremely average to not good, though.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I too would rather Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney play instead of Josh Donaldson and Troy Tulowitzki.

Tulo has sucked, so yes I'd rather have Gogo in the field right now

I never said Barney did I, of course donaldson's more valuable

Inspector_666 posted:

This is more true than all of the ridiculously contrarian "Actually Jeter was...very bad!" shitposting that has seized the entire online baseball community.

Yeah man that guy who has over 3,000 career hits sure did suck :agesilaus:

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah man that guy who has over 3,000 career hits sure did suck :agesilaus:

Ryan Goins is slashing 230/292/368 and Troy Tulowitzki is a really loving good defender. This is a ludicrous take.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I don't know exactly what happened but he's been bad since the start of last June. 4.42 ERA since June 2016.

He was very badly overworked in 2015 (because Maddon didn't trust Lester) and I don't think he ever recovered. He started off last season absolutely dealing but he hasn't been able to adjust his approach whatsoever.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Tulo at his worst is better than any version of Goins ever.

Next caller.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Won't Goins be staying at 2B anyways?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Gobias Ind. posted:

Ryan Goins is slashing 230/292/368 and Troy Tulowitzki is a really loving good defender. This is a ludicrous take.

Honestly I wasn't thinking it would be Tulo sitting out, Travis would be the more obvious bench when Tulo comes back. You can't tell me with a straight face that Travis deserves to be playing right now

E: I know I went along with it in my previous post - my first post however I was more thinking of Travis somehow staying in while Goins or Barney got benched.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Except you only mentioned being mixed in what injured players should even play? Maybe you want Russell to sit in favor of Luke Maile!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Except you only mentioned being mixed in what injured players should even play? Maybe you want Russell to sit in favor of Luke Maile!

I mentioned him potentially getting sat with Tulo and Donaldson coming back, I forgot to mention who I thought should be sat instead

Obviously there's no way to prove that but that's what I was thinking :shrug:

I wasn't fully awake and probably wasn't very clear in my thinking

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love DarBar as much as any SASer but yeah, he's going back to the bench where he belongs.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

shadok posted:

Won't Goins be staying at 2B anyways?

Devon Travis has a .725 ops in May.

Goins is slashing .724 over the same period.

Barney is .750

So maybe?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ego symphonic posted:

He'll never admit it but that's what most people suspect at this point. Either that or Joe Maddon managed to break his AND Ryan Zimmerman's brains simultaneously by intentionally walking Harper to get to Zim something like 6 times in a row in one game.

I think someone read between the lines in an interview he gave over the off-season and it sounded like he was trying to cover-up the fact that there was a shoulder issue. I don't remember the exact interview, though.

The other side to his season last year was that his exit velocity in 2015 seemed to predict a drop-off for 2016. Maybe not so extreme but it wasn't very good.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

I would still start Devon Travis over Ryan Goins every day. This team is not playing for anything this year. Ryan Goins is what he is - an all glove utility infielder. Devon Travis could/should be more than that. Let him either work his poo poo out, or prove that he is not very good.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays are most certainly playing for something this year. They have 28 games over the next month and a half with Atlanta, Oakland, Milwaukee, Texas, Cincinnati and the White Sox.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

iospace posted:

Actually, question. Did ESPN do this sort of poo poo when Griffey's number was retired? He's probably the only person with any sort of clout that Jeter had in the public eye.

1) Not a Yankee and 2) Didn't spend his whole career on one team and 3) Wasn't instrumental in a number of championships

I still can't believe that Jeter toss that got Giambi

Despite his injuries, Griffey did retire with a higher WAR than Jeter though :getin:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

I would still start Devon Travis over Ryan Goins every day. This team is not playing for anything this year. Ryan Goins is what he is - an all glove utility infielder. Devon Travis could/should be more than that. Let him either work his poo poo out, or prove that he is not very good.

Travis has had some good moments but he has underperformed his potential at pretty much every turn

As bad as Maile has been with the bat I'm surprised the Jays didn't nav Navarro on a cheap deal to fill the massive hole in the order

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 15, 2017

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

The Jays are most certainly playing for something this year. They have 28 games over the next month and a half with Atlanta, Oakland, Milwaukee, Texas, Cincinnati and the White Sox.

I guess "nothing to play for" is unfair. I don't envision them truly contending for a playoff spot, but the opportunity is somehow there.

Doesn't change my opinion re: Travis vs. Goins though (and that's not directed towards you, as I suspect you'd agree)

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Travis has had some good moments but he has underperformed his potential at pretty much every turn

As opposed to Ryan Goins who has been mediocre-bad his whole career? At least Devon Travis HAS potential.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

real talk: Jeter was an inverse Tony Romo, sort of. Above average most of the time, came up big when it mattered a lot. He's a hall of famer for sure, but the whole circle-jerk over him is bad. If he had that sort of career anywhere BUT NY, Chicago or Boston (maybe LA), ESPN may request the rights to that specific game, but by no means would they do the hours long circle jerk about him.

Who would have thought trying to shove something in someone's faces as "THE BEST EVAR" would backfire! (*cough* cubs fans *cough*)

Jeter was quite a bit better than "above average". He was a great player and a likable personality for most of his career. He is a surefire HOF'er and although he was never one of the top 5 elite players offensive or defensively during his years, he was still a fantastic player even though his last few yeras would have been better served no longer as a SS and probably 7 or 8th in a lineup.

Thats coming as a Jays fan too.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

tadashi posted:

I think someone read between the lines in an interview he gave over the off-season and it sounded like he was trying to cover-up the fact that there was a shoulder issue. I don't remember the exact interview, though.

The other side to his season last year was that his exit velocity in 2015 seemed to predict a drop-off for 2016. Maybe not so extreme but it wasn't very good.

I think its fair to say that he was due for some regression, but regression alone can't account for the drop off we saw last year and there's other reasons to suspect that an injury was to blame. Namely that he continued hitting the poo poo out the ball in April before crashing hard and abruptly in May and has since resumed hitting the poo poo out of the ball.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gobias Ind. posted:

Its not the craziest one ever. Goins has hit the ball well in the past few weeks, Tulo has been Tulo since he was traded. Also goins is a better defender. I'd still rather have Tulo, but over the next few years if he keeps sucking at hitting and regresses at D...

I'm starting to think the Rockies knew what they were doing when they traded Tulo away. But I am immensely glad we dont have that piece of poo poo reyes on our team anymore.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

I guess "nothing to play for" is unfair. I don't envision them truly contending for a playoff spot, but the opportunity is somehow there.

Doesn't change my opinion re: Travis vs. Goins though (and that's not directed towards you, as I suspect you'd agree)

As opposed to Ryan Goins who has been mediocre-bad his whole career? At least Devon Travis HAS potential.

I thought Goins has pretty good defensive stats?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

patonthebach posted:

Its not the craziest one ever. Goins has hit the ball well in the past few weeks,

I mean, he's hit a lot of singles lately, but Ryan Goins has literally never been good, ever, and he's 29. I think he's one of the better utility infielders around but that's pretty much all he is.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

patonthebach posted:

Its not the craziest one ever. Goins has hit the ball well in the past few weeks, Tulo has been Tulo since he was traded. Also goins is a better defender. I'd still rather have Tulo, but over the next few years if he keeps sucking at hitting and regresses at D...

I'm starting to think the Rockies knew what they were doing when they traded Tulo away. But I am immensely glad we dont have that piece of poo poo reyes on our team anymore.

We're talking about this year, not the next few years. But even still, As Darude said, Troy Tulowitzki's worst is still better than Ryan Goins at his best. I think they are pretty comparable defenders (not able to look up numbers right now) at this stage, but even if Goins is better, it's not enough to make up the offensive gap.

e:
Goins is a good defender, but that's all he is. IMO the Jays need to be finding out who is a viable long-term piece. We know what Goins is at this point. A fine 4th IF that can spell your starters. Let Devon Travis play a full year and see what he does.

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 15, 2017

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Also, if you want the hot hand in there, Travis has been hitting 313/294/563 over the past 7 days.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

patonthebach posted:

Jeter was quite a bit better than "above average". He was a great player and a likable personality for most of his career. He is a surefire HOF'er and although he was never one of the top 5 elite players offensive or defensively during his years, he was still a fantastic player even though his last few yeras would have been better served no longer as a SS and probably 7 or 8th in a lineup.

Thats coming as a Jays fan too.

He ranks 12th all-time according to JAWS for shortstops, which looks at a player's peak 7 years WAR vs. their career WAR. He's above the HoF average by that metric, ranking above Larkin, Boudreau, and Reese, who are all deserving members.

Just to point out, Alan Trammel is 1 spot above Jeter and that motherfucker should be in the Hall of Fame. Looking at you, veteran's committee.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gobias Ind. posted:

This team is not playing for anything this year..

The Jays aren't completely out of contention if Donaldson comes back healthy and doesn't get sold off.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

patonthebach posted:

he was still a fantastic player even though his last few yeras would have been better served no longer as a SS and probably 7 or 8th in a lineup.

Reminder that 38 year old Jeter led the league in PA's, AB's and Hits while slashing 316/362/429. Then he got hurt and died the following season, and played way too many games in his retirement year at age 40.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

shadok posted:

The Jays aren't completely out of contention if Donaldson comes back healthy and doesn't get sold off.

They will suck for another month and package Donaldson off to the Red Sox. :twisted:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Wow, I didn't realize Billy Hamilton already has 19 SB in just 34 games. What's a realistic outcome if he can stay healthy, 90?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mike_V posted:

Wow, I didn't realize Billy Hamilton already has 19 SB in just 34 games. What's a realistic outcome if he can stay healthy, 90?

If he can realistically get on pace for 90, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds cut him loose and try for 100, as long as they don't worry about him getting injured.

• Locked thread