Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

basic hitler posted:

It wasn't how they handled the election?

I realized how worthless old media, and most new media was when coverage basically became "Hillary Clinton is God and Inveitable you clueless loving mortal meatbags" and "HOOOOOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS loving CLOWN!!!!!! WHOA ISN"T THIS IDIOT FUNNY AND NEVER GOING TO BE PRESIDENT???"

It was just such a lazy hackjob and extremely disconnected from what was happening i couldn't take any main stream news seriously anymore and that trust is probably broken permanently. I'm not a genius but i'm not stupid and I just look for the most raw, unfiltered source i can find, and i figure poo poo out for myself now.

Yep. I used to trust things like CNN, NPR, the WSJ and so on and think they were trustworthy outlets, but now I don't trust anything. I think 2016 broke my trust in the media and the DNC permanently. I got a glimpse of the man behind the curtain and it turns out that the Wizard of Oz isn't as fearsome as he appears to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gammatron 64 posted:

He dared to say that he wasn't interested in seeing the Ghostbusters remake because he has a strong attachment to the original and the remake didn't look funny. This somehow made him into a he-man woman hater even though he didn't mention anything about the gender of the new Ghostbusters.

Oh I'm pretty sure I saw that video. And yeah it was totally toothless and he didn't make it about gender at all.

I'm surprised and in fact skeptical that there was much controversy about it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

basic hitler posted:

I realized how worthless old media, and most new media was when coverage basically became "Hillary Clinton is God and Inveitable you clueless loving mortal meatbags" and "HOOOOOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS loving CLOWN!!!!!! WHOA ISN"T THIS IDIOT FUNNY AND NEVER GOING TO BE PRESIDENT???"

It was just such a lazy hackjob and extremely disconnected from what was happening i couldn't take any main stream news seriously anymore and that trust is probably broken permanently. I'm not a genius but i'm not stupid and I just look for the most raw, unfiltered source i can find, and i figure poo poo out for myself now.

half of the country is going through this btw

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spacetoaster posted:

There's actually a lot of ways people on either side of the "aisle" could work together.

Take abortion. Holy cow does it make people mad at other people. But both sides could probably agree that they would love it if the need for abortions was lower. Sex education and access to birth control are a good way to lower abortion rates. Both sides, even though they disagree fundamentally on what abortion is, could work together to lower abortion rates by providing birth control and sex education.

Neither side would get everything they want, but they would absolutely get some of what they want (fewer abortions, access to birth control/sex education).

You could apply this to other stuff too. Nobody wants anyone to suffer due to hunger/homelessness/drug addiction/whatever. It's just a matter of getting people to work together to tackle the issues (and possibly compromise) vs "No way am I working with those MONSTERS!".

It's a lot more complicated than that- if it was that easy, it would already be done.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

basic hitler posted:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yep. I used to trust things like CNN, NPR, the WSJ and so on and think they were trustworthy outlets, but now I don't trust anything. I think 2016 broke my trust in the media and the DNC permanently. I got a glimpse of the man behind the curtain and it turns out that the Wizard of Oz isn't as fearsome as he appears to be.

I was pretty surprised when i found out that the election coverage was inaccurately reflecting the situation on the ground! but i look at it like i look at the news that we're number one in postnatal mortality in the developed world. People can be self sustainable to a great degree but most people can't be doctors! Let's not give up on the doctors, though!

basic hitler posted:

I'll hate hillary clinton till my last moment alive and as i rise to god to face judgement there's a non-zero chance I will God-drat her at the pearly gates.

But in general you should look across the aisle and see that republican voter for what they are, a human that sees the world a little differently that probably has nearly identical struggles to you in its actual day to day

I know we like to josh around on this forum but if i can be opposed to hillary and still see her as human im sure you can too! I won't belabor the point though, because I'm tired of debating with people who i love whose opinions are similar to mine. I know now at the end of the day when we rest our heads on our pillows we can all silently agree that democrats and republicans and hillary are all one people.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh I'm pretty sure I saw that video. And yeah it was totally toothless and he didn't make it about gender at all.

that's probably one of the first instances of the idpol internet poo poo cracking apart

people were like, "wait, what the gently caress are you mad at HIM for?"

that remake was rear end and the people who attacked critics for saying so based on some imaginary slight are probably responsible for a ton of people saying "ok, this has gone too far"

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I know we like to josh around on this forum but if i can be opposed to hillary and still see her as human im sure you can too! I won't belabor the point though, because I'm tired of debating with people who i love whose opinions are similar to mine. I know now at the end of the day when we rest our heads on our pillows we can all silently agree that democrats and republicans and hillary are all one people.

Hillary Clinton is an android created at the start of the Cold War in a joint project between IBM and General Atomics

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 15, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gammatron 64 posted:

Stability is an illusion.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

half of the country is going through this btw

the other half was already ahead on it

turns out limbaugh listeners... were the woke ones all along

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

that's probably one of the first instances of the idpol internet poo poo cracking apart

people were like, "wait, what the gently caress are you mad at HIM for?"

that remake was rear end and the people who attacked critics for saying so based on some imaginary slight are probably responsible for a ton of people saying "ok, this has gone too far"

is there really an article out there saying this? i got the impression hearing about it on here that people were down on the remake because a) didn't take into account what the fans wanted and b) the gender swap seemed pointless. i clicked on some of the articles from the megathreads people made and they were all like that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panzeh posted:

It's a lot more complicated than that- if it was that easy, it would already be done.

Sure. I'm talking about me personally.

The meeting I was at was organizing to assist refugees coming in to the U.S. from Syria (and other places). I'm a right winger (by some definitions), but I feel for the people who are suffering because of our misguided foreign policy (gently caress Obama and Clinton). And my feelings force me to go and do things to help (even if I have to work with people who would actually spit on me if they knew my political party).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

is there really an article out there saying this? i got the impression hearing about it on here that people were down on the remake because a) didn't take into account what the fans wanted and b) the gender swap seemed pointless. i clicked on some of the articles from the megathreads people made and they were all like that.

It seemed like fake controversy as marketing

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Accretionist posted:

i have only the slightest of problems believing a marketing goofball got forwarded a bunch of twitters or posts or whatever about being mad that women were cast as the ghostbusters and rolling with it, without evidence

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

The meeting I was at was organizing to assist refugees coming in to the U.S. from Syria (and other places). I'm a right winger (by some definitions), but I feel for the people who are suffering because of our misguided foreign policy (gently caress Obama and Clinton). And my feelings force me to go and do things to help (even if I have to work with people who would actually spit on me if they knew my political party).

they might be sad at you for empowering a abrasive and cocksure candidate but spitting seems a bit much. youre all in the org together bub

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Accretionist posted:

It was.

There were multiple articles calling him a misogynist.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ghostbusters-reboot-movie-critic-refuses-to-review/
http://www.avclub.com/article/ghostbusters-frozen-and-strange-entitlement-fan-cu-237139
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/fashion/ghostbusters-internet-attacks.html

https://heatst.com/entertainment/angry-video-game-nerd-james-rolfe-will-be-right-about-ghostbusters-being-terrible/

Ultimately, James won in the end by not even responding to the people who attacked him. People did hit pieces on him and I know a few people who weren't familiar with him who didn't watch the video all the way through and thought he was a sexist because various news articles said so.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 15, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spacetoaster posted:

From my personal experience, when I talk politics with my republican buddies, what happens really fast is that we get nowhere because we don't even come from the same frame of reference. Take abortion, for example. If you believe abortion is murder, then honestly your proposal to increase sex education to reduce abortions doesn't make sense- their position is that the whole thing should be illegal. The problem for them is abortion itself, not unwanted children. We can't really debate because we come from totally different perspectives.

This is why, while I have republican friends, I rarely discuss politics with them. It leaves me thinking a lot less of them and probably leaves them thinking similarly of me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I was pretty surprised when i found out that the election coverage was inaccurately reflecting the situation on the ground! but i look at it like i look at the news that we're number one in postnatal mortality in the developed world. People can be self sustainable to a great degree but most people can't be doctors! Let's not give up on the doctors, though!

Doctors have lots of special training

Bloggers usually have zero training. Bad journalists have an undergraduate degree. The most specialized services they provide are investigation and fact-checking, which is the exact two things the MSM has completely abandoned lately due to cost-cutting and politics

There is an enormous difference

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panzeh posted:

From my personal experience, when I talk politics with my republican buddies, what happens really fast is that we get nowhere because we don't even come from the same frame of reference. Take abortion, for example. If you believe abortion is murder, then honestly your proposal to increase sex education to reduce abortions doesn't make sense- their position is that the whole thing should be illegal. The problem for them is abortion itself, not unwanted children. We can't really debate because we come from totally different perspectives.

This is why, while I have republican friends, I rarely discuss politics with them. It leaves me thinking a lot less of them and probably leaves them thinking similarly of me.

It's just being super pragmatic. Being 100% against abortion right this second isn't going to stop a single abortion. Promoting sex education and birth control will (well, there's a high probability it will).

Abortion is probably a bad example to be using for this anyway. Drug addiction is a problem that affects everyone, and everyone wants it to stop. It's just how do we go about doing that, and who is proposing what.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spacetoaster posted:

It's just being super pragmatic. Being 100% against abortion right this second isn't going to stop a single abortion. Promoting sex education and birth control will (well, there's a high probability it will).

A totally logical human being probably would, but most people aren't. Especially people who you need to convince about abortion. They have a pretty easy answer: "You know what's even easier- closing your legs if you don't want a baby."

As I said, frames of reference. For you, that makes perfect sense, for them, you sound like an idiot.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panzeh posted:

for them, you sound like an idiot.

Well they're not wrong. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ws_APXilE

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Panzeh posted:

A totally logical human being probably would, but most people aren't. Especially people who you need to convince about abortion. They have a pretty easy answer: "You know what's even easier- closing your legs if you don't want a baby."

As I said, frames of reference. For you, that makes perfect sense, for them, you sound like an idiot.

they are called wedge issues for a reason

try discussing relevant things like foreign policy and economic issues and I bet you come to a different conclusion

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

i have only the slightest of problems believing a marketing goofball got forwarded a bunch of twitters or posts or whatever about being mad that women were cast as the ghostbusters and rolling with it, without evidence

quote:

Sony Pictures head Tom Rothman has a message for those who are "pissing and moaning" over the studio's upcoming female Ghostbusters: "You know, f— 'em," he said Friday.

"Everybody says we're making the female Ghostbusters, but I say, 'No, we're making the funny Ghostbusters.' Yes, it happens to be four women," Rothman said.

"It's original. You get pissing and moaning on the Internet — sexist comments – but, you know, f— 'em," he said.

Diversity has never been Hollywood's "strong suit," he added, but that needs to change. "Do it or die, because the audience is diverse."

"I got the old Jewish guys covered," he quipped.

Link

The head of Sony Pictures handwaved criticism of a lovely movie as simple misogyny.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VikingSkull posted:

they are called wedge issues for a reason

try discussing relevant things like foreign policy and economic issues and I bet you come to a different conclusion

"Foreign policy" and "economic issues" are really vague. If you discuss vague principles, you can easily get agreement.

If you discuss any individual economic issue, though, i'm fairly sure you will get similar disagreement to what I just said about abortion.

You'll see it here- people who support bernie, but then proceed to argue against everything he was for, like free college, free healthcare, higher taxes on the rich, etc.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It was apparently too much to hope that Hillary Clinton would, in defeat, be treated with the respect that she was denied during the campaign -- or, more accurately, during her entire career.  What is more depressing is that even some of her most prominent supposed admirers still enjoy piling on when Clinton is being attacked.

When Clinton kept herself out of the public eye after the election, she was mocked for "wandering in the woods" and was the target of other smart-alecky criticisms from avowedly liberal comedians and commentators.  Now that she has broken her silence and made some public appearances, we are being reminded of the double standards and outright nastiness that has been aimed at Clinton for decades.

Last week, Clinton gave an extended interview to the journalist Christiane Amanpour at the 9th Annual Women for Women International Conference.  (A transcript is available here.)  It was predictable that Amanpour would ask about the election, and it was just as predictable that anything Clinton said on that subject would be featured in sound bites across the media landscape.

What I did not predict -- perhaps because, after all these years, I have still not given up hope that liberals will stop being so self-defeating -- is that Clinton would immediately be bashed by supposedly sympathetic commentators. 

http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2017/05/supposed-liberals-reunite-for-more.html?m=1

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Link

The head of Sony Pictures handwaved criticism of a lovely movie as simple misogyny.

everything about modern discourse is the dumbest loving poo poo every loving day from every loving direction

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Doctors have lots of special training

Bloggers usually have zero training. Bad journalists have an undergraduate degree. The most specialized services they provide are investigation and fact-checking, which is the exact two things the MSM has completely abandoned lately due to cost-cutting and politics

There is an enormous difference

agreed, the comparison was just to say they do things the average person can't be expected to do with the tools available to them.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is this the "how I got redpilled" thread?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

It was.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ghostbusters-reboot-movie-critic-refuses-to-review/
http://www.avclub.com/article/ghostbusters-frozen-and-strange-entitlement-fan-cu-237139
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters

https://heatst.com/entertainment/angry-video-game-nerd-james-rolfe-will-be-right-about-ghostbusters-being-terrible/

Ultimately, James won in the end by not even responding to the people who attacked him. People did hit pieces on him and I know a few people who weren't familiar with him who didn't watch the video all the way through and thought he was a sexist because various news articles said so.

VikingSkull posted:

Link

the links seemed organized from most to least critical of mr rolfe's personal position. i was relieved to see none of them directly accused him of holding misogynistic views although the first one was like "hey this guy disagrees, boo on him" and the last one was the opposite which fits the impression of their angles based on the sidebar material. anyway i looked at the avgn video after that and it was a bit sad to see he's basically doing a vlog version of the thinkpieces. its no suprise culture warrior attitudes feed off each other knd of like pewdiepie capitalizing on the culture war only to get outcapitalized by newspapers using him as their test case to see if people care about facts anymore after the election. bummers all around i guess

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Blue Train posted:

It was apparently too much to hope that Hillary Clinton would, in defeat, be treated with the respect that she was denied during the campaign -- or, more accurately, during her entire career.  What is more depressing is that even some of her most prominent supposed admirers still enjoy piling on when Clinton is being attacked.

When Clinton kept herself out of the public eye after the election, she was mocked for "wandering in the woods" and was the target of other smart-alecky criticisms from avowedly liberal comedians and commentators.  Now that she has broken her silence and made some public appearances, we are being reminded of the double standards and outright nastiness that has been aimed at Clinton for decades.

Last week, Clinton gave an extended interview to the journalist Christiane Amanpour at the 9th Annual Women for Women International Conference.  (A transcript is available here.)  It was predictable that Amanpour would ask about the election, and it was just as predictable that anything Clinton said on that subject would be featured in sound bites across the media landscape.

What I did not predict -- perhaps because, after all these years, I have still not given up hope that liberals will stop being so self-defeating -- is that Clinton would immediately be bashed by supposedly sympathetic commentators. 

It feels like all of her allies in the media and the opinion makers were tired of holding her water.

I'm still reading Shattered, and most of the writing comes off as too afraid to say anything derogatory about the Clintons even while the HRC was a horrible poo poo to everyone in her orbit. The authors do their best to humanize her and make her sympathetic by calling her a shy policy wonk that comes off as super reserved in public. They say things like "the staff only wanted to help HRC, but didn't know how" but then it's "So and so was the aide designated to break the bad news to HRC this time, as she was the the person on the plane least likely to set her off." During debate prep they had to worry what topics to bring up with her with their Trump stand in for fear of sending her flying into a rage that stopped all work for the day.

I get the feeling a lot of these people knew the "real Hilary" and she wasn't at all what they said she was during her time as Abuela. Now that she's wounded and not in a position to drone detractor's houses, it's easier to dump on her.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

Link

Does anyone even remember the Ghostbusters reboot at this point beyond the ones still waging Twitter war over it like an out-of-shape hiroo onada

I feel like the people who care deeply and exclusively about the gender of the cast one way or another were about the only ones who actually watched it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 15, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Does anyone even remember the Ghostbusters reboot at this point beyond the ones still waging Twitter war over it like an out-of-shape hiroo onada

I feel like the people who care deeply and exclusively about the gender of the cast one way or another were about the only ones who actually watched it

the new ghostbusters was a funny popcorn flick and sjw nonsense is a cancer on society

Blue Train posted:

this is magically stupid

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bholder posted:

Is this the "how I got redpilled" thread?

Til we get Hilldawg's new book, why not?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i thought the new ghost busters was bad, but i also am not a huge fan of the concept in general. The older movies are just OK and the new one was never going to rise above those.

everyone into the politics on either side is moronic

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

basic hitler posted:

i thought the new ghost busters was bad, but i also am not a huge fan of the concept in general. The older movies are just OK and the new one was never going to rise above those.

everyone into the politics on either side is moronic

I'm an old bad person who can't get on board with CGI. And seeing the practical effects in the new star war movie just cemented that position.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The internet has kinda hosed with the way criticism goes, too. I would say a lot of the reason is that the internet gives us tools to immediately fire back with the first thing that comes to mind combined with the echo chamber effect that the internet has.

Criticism from certain people becomes 'racism' and from other people it's 'censorship'

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Til we get Hilldawg's new book, why not?

It won't be worth reading unless she finally gets to the bottom of why people even like that damned Bernie Sanders.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

basic hitler posted:

The older movies are just OK and the new one was never going to rise above those.

i think the new one was genuinely better than gb2

i also think that that really wasn't a high bar to clear

if hillary clinton was a lady ghostbuster she would have been the annoying skeptic main character that consistently gets outshined by everyone else

ted cruz would have been the nerdy evil guy collecting ghosts like pokemon(gooooo to the polls!)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tactlessbastard posted:

It won't be worth reading unless she finally gets to the bottom of why people even like that damned Bernie Sanders.

It's probably going to be an expansion of blaming everyone for her loss.

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I think I remember AVGN saying at one point that he thought female Ghost Busters was a good idea because they had to have a different take than the original since any remake would be a failure in comparison with the first one being so good.

And I could be wrong about this but I believe that I remember hearing stuff about Sony silencing a lot of criticism in the comments sections while drawing attention to the actual misogynistic trolls to create interest based on the controversy.

loving hell I just knew that any comedy Sony attempts will most likely be a lazy cash grab filled with advertisements regardless of the genders of anyone in the film.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Abortion is probably a bad example to be using for this anyway. Drug addiction is a problem that affects everyone, and everyone wants it to stop. It's just how do we go about doing that, and who is proposing what.

Banning abortion and allowing contraception aren't mutually exclusive, but if you view abortion as murder enough of your actually sincere allies in opposing it think sex ed teaches kids to gently caress that you might tactically go for the 'let the states/parents decide' dodge rather than throw in your lot with the folks who vocally support a right to abortion. They're being pragmatic within the actual political context where they need to work with other people on their mutual interests, not the one where they're arbitrarily determining the ideal policy package with no thought to how to make it happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Gammatron 64 posted:

It was.

Say whatever else you want about the guy, the dude can navigate the waters of scandal with a steady hand. It's not everyone who's so devoted to his craft that he shrugs off people who go for the throat like that- I mean, these are the same people who broke jontron and any number other impious minor celebs. They can get nasty and loud. But ol James is here for the movies and the movies alone, and I really respect that. It's a trait that I frankly envy.

• Locked thread