Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xenosaga 2 was so bad I haven't played a single JRPG in 13 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

play Xenosaga 2 and you'll hate games forever

i am immune, too bad

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I remember getting a Chrono Cross demo disc in the mail when I was 11.

That's my Chrono Cross story.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I started playing Chrono Cross again and I still really like it, what's wrong with me?

It's an extremely good game OP

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

Xenosaga 2 was so bad I haven't played a single JRPG in 13 years.

xenosaga 2 is worse than most jrpgs so that seems like a bit of an overreaction

i'm glad that after xenogears they decided to make three games that are all the worst parts of xenogears

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 15, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Colonel posted:

Unbeknownst to myself at the time I think I just reached a certain level of mental doneness with the genre that has since not faded.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm sad that I'm good at RPGs now, keep coming across bosses that I remember being assholes and steamrolling them.

SonOfAGun is still real goofy, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

no, i was the same way but not 13 years, just until Persona 3 FES came out

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I started playing Chrono Cross again and I still really like it, what's wrong with me?

More games need luchadors in them; I fully support your endeavor

Or talking voodoo scarecrows

or...

drat what a mess of wacky characters in that game- I love it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'd play more JRPGs if they weren't 100 hours long

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Xenosaga II is a game I distinctly remember, in the height of my thinking that RPGs needed to be super long, where I thought I was going into the final dungeon after 15 hours, only to beat it after 30, and then go "that game was maybe 20 hours too long."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I did not even make it that far into XS2. I hated Junior and MOMO, hated the new VAs and look for Shion and KOS-MOS, hated the story, HATED the combat, basically everything in the game. And I wasn't even that hot on the first one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i continue to be glad tales of berseria and trails in the sky are the only jrpgs i've spent 90+ hours on

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Xenosaga III was OK enough to wash some of the bad taste of the second game away.

Post-Trails it's kind of a sad looking back at previous attempts at episodic JRPG series like .hack and Xenosaga. No one ever seemed to get it right.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

penny arcade on the precipice of darkness episode 5: monkey cheeze

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm still thinking about Rap Rabbit and how much it sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

Xenosaga III was OK enough to wash some of the bad taste of the second game away.

Post-Trails it's kind of a sad looking back at previous attempts at episodic JRPG series like .hack and Xenosaga. No one ever seemed to get it right.

the funny part is that technically most of those games are post-trails

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Does Digital Devil Saga count as an episodic RPG because if it does it's the best.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've decided that rap rabbit is going to own regardless of its bad KS pitch because its a music game by the Gitaroo Man/Elite Beat Agents guy, the Parappa guy, and the Elite Beat Agents artist

good luck to the crew

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I started playing Trails in the Sky yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far; it's got a whimsy that jrpgs have been missing for awhile and it appeals to me a lot

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I loved trails in the sky from the start too. You've got a lot of great stuff ahead of you, it's an amazing series.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

glam rock hamhock posted:

Kickstarted games also include FTL, Hyper Light Drifter, Kentucky Route Zero, Shantae, Superhot, the new Torment, Shadowrun, Lisa, Pillars of Eternity, Darkest Dungeons, Sportsfriends, Freedom Planet, Risk of Rain, The Fall, Octodad, Some of the best pinball tables ever for Pinball Arcade, Valdis Story, Volgarr The Viking, Divinity, Divekick, Hollow Knight and probably others.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the ratio of good to bad Kickstarter games is skewed heavily towards the mediocre to terrible but when people act like Shovel Knight is only good thing to come out of Kickstarter, I find it a bit disingenuous.

This. I don't care if Kickstarter mostly sucks, it got me FTL and Shadowrun and they're a couple of my favorite games from the last few years.

Speaking of which, inspired by Captain Invictus, I started playing a bunch of FTL again and have gotten a ton of normal mode victories though Engi victories still evade me. Once I pull that off, maybe I'll move up to hard.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNxVPE5BcVA

http://i.imgur.com/emkMyUU.gifv

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 15, 2017

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I just got my Giant Bomb subscription back up after a couple of years and boy, do I wish Platinum made another game like Metal Gear Rising (or Bayo) again. I love Nier Automata and all but that still isn't quite the linear, extremely fast and combat-focused thing they're known for. I'm mostly hoping for something like this again because Drew and Dan on Metal Gear Scanlon are having such a god drat blast all the way through MGR and hell I'm just gonna go ahead and buy Bayonetta on steam because you can't beat that feeling of non-stop insane hype as gently caress action

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hate DeepDream so much. Every image it produces is viscerally revolting to the point that I wonder if it's some deep-seated evolutionary memory like from Childhood's End or some poo poo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc8aZTn3fnk

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ornstein and Smough with dog heads is pretty cool

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate DeepDream so much. Every image it produces is viscerally revolting to the point that I wonder if it's some deep-seated evolutionary memory like from Childhood's End or some poo poo

My wife has visual snow and that video is practically torture for her

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Friends, I have finally reached the City Of Gold in Spelunky and I am so happy. :keke:

My ultimate life goal is to successfully complete an Eggplant Run* but we must take these things one step at a time.

*(🍆)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I thought we all agreed to bury "Make ____ Great Again!" as an ironic slogan.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe the cool japanese devs don't realise how badly the pitch was translated into english by whoever they hired

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

codenameFANGIO posted:

Friends, I have finally reached the City Of Gold in Spelunky and I am so happy. :keke:

My ultimate life goal is to successfully complete an Eggplant Run* but we must take these things one step at a time.

*(🍆)

oh i forgot about eggplant. after i got speedlunky and low scorer i stopped playing. but now i want to do an eggplant run too...

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

My eyes are bleeding out of my skull

The Colonel posted:

i continue to be glad tales of berseria and trails in the sky are the only jrpgs i've spent 90+ hours on

I spent over 100 hours on Persona 3 FES and I don't regret it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Everything about Rap Rabbit looked terrible until I saw it was actually a NaNaOnSha production and they weren't hyping up some random office intern as "one of the creators of Parappa" and now I can't get my iPad to take my money directly through the screen even though I'm trying really really hard????

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

That is amazing.

Deep Dream seems have vastly overestimated the percentage of reality composed of dogs.

It may also have eyes on the inside.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

That is amazing.

Deep Dream seems have vastly overestimated the percentage of reality composed of dogs.

It may also have eyes on the inside.

I think that's because the default dataset only has pictures of dogs and eyes to work with.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I think that's because the default dataset only has pictures of dogs and eyes to work with.

yeah, I assumed.

it's good they picked something cute like dogs. Image (don't) if they had picked spiders...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I like how it seems to turn helicopters into giant insects, and then the last clip is EDF and it looks vaguely normal

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

penny arcade on the precipice of darkness episode 5: monkey cheeze

Penny Arcade On the Rape-Slick Precipice of Dickwolves: Dad Jokes

Dewgy posted:

Everything about Rap Rabbit looked terrible until I saw it was actually a NaNaOnSha production and they weren't hyping up some random office intern as "one of the creators of Parappa" and now I can't get my iPad to take my money directly through the screen even though I'm trying really really hard????

From the people who brought you Parappa 2: Nothing About This Is Good At All

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guy Mann posted:

From the people who brought you Parappa 2: Nothing About This Is Good At All

I bet you have a problem with noodles too, you joyless sack. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Cowcaster posted:

drat kewpuh what's up man

hello chUMP

Phantasium posted:

well see you suffer from what we in the medical field call retarted

• Locked thread