Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

alt-right internet types keyed in on coverage of coded white supremacist language, and started promoting various innocuous things as being white supremacist symbols. The OK gesture is one of those. Note this is difficult to generally evaluate with certainty; because of the faux-ironic trolling reality-attacking approach these people use with everything, it's likely that a bunch of them, knowingly or not, do use these fake signifiers as actual white supremacist indicators.

Yeah, it started as a "trick", except other Neo-Nazis and the like started using it in complete seriousness. Once that started happening, people reported on it, then the *channers claimed victory for the success of their "trick" in getting people to think Nazis used it as a white power signal (which is exactly what was happening).

They basically gave the OK hand sign the Pepe treatment; it's now another thing Neo-Nazis and such are doing entirely unironically.

Edit: In case you're wondering how the OK hand sign could be a white power signal, the idea is that the three extended fingers are a W, and the finger circle + arm make a P. WP, "White Power".

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

the spot the european poo poo got to me, i'll admit

Get the hell out of my city

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Another thing on an airplane happened, apparently?

Most likely planted by the airlines to sew empathy for airlines having to deal with these brawling barbarians.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

alt-right internet types keyed in on coverage of coded white supremacist language, and started promoting various innocuous things as being white supremacist symbols. The OK gesture is one of those. Note this is difficult to generally evaluate with certainty; because of the faux-ironic trolling reality-attacking approach these people use with everything, it's likely that a bunch of them, knowingly or not, do use these fake signifiers as actual white supremacist indicators.

This basically sums up the entirety of internet Nazism. You start saying extremely ludicrous, far right nonsense for the thrill of being transgressive and absurd, then the protective layer of irony erodes over time, leaving the opinion intact, but held sincerely. For example: Pizzagate.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just noticed they're looking at her giving the "Ok" hand signal, because anon tricked a dumb news site into thinking it was a White Pride symbol. And now it probably is one because once something is ironically a white pride symbol it is just actually a white pride symbol.

e: I should read more, this was covered.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you are "ironically" using something as a neo-nazi sign in public you may in fact be a neo-nazi.

This covers ironic racism as well.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Theresa May and the NHS 'ransomware' attack – The cyber-attack that disrupted NHS systems and forced operations to be cancelled throughout the UK has become a bitterly contested election issue"

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Show of military might as Emmanuel Macron is inaugurated as president

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mantis42 posted:

Just noticed they're looking at her giving the "Ok" hand signal, because anon tricked a dumb news site into thinking it was a White Pride symbol. And now it probably is one because once something is ironically a white pride symbol it is just actually a white pride symbol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZR1gSvnOI0

First Matt Furie and now MST3K?

Is nothing sacred?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Strong opinions about ice cream in this thread.

Not as strong as *donning Devil costume, whispering* sandwiches...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bicyclops posted:

Not as strong as *donning Devil costume, whispering* sandwiches...

Pop tarts are just a nontraditionally shaped sandwich with nontraditional ingredients. This is a necessary corollary of ice cream sandwiches.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*squeezing out some ketchup, a superior condiment for this purpose, onto a hot dog sandwich*

Who wants to talk about which comic is the next Day by Day?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Discendo Vox posted:

Mantis42 posted:

https://twitter.com/lauren_southern/status/859080180001898496

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
"Jokes on you, Neo-Nazis! We were all just heiling Hitler ironically in the 1930s!" :smug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is she European?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now I finally get what Lauren means, and I hope she dies alone in the wilderness from a burst appendix.
....And that I get to point and laugh.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
conservatives learned the power of humor from years of being embarrassed by people mocking them. now they employ irony to cutting effect, which means they just say what they've been saying before, which is what they believe with full sincerity, except without the danger of someone harming their ego.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
One positive side effect is if nazis co-opt every meme and emoji there will no longer be memes or emojis.

Keep up the good work, you hateful dross both near and far!

Edit: in truth I prefer when racists wear their SS armbands loud and proud because they are easier to block and/or hit with my car.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

conservatives learned the power of humor from years of being embarrassed by people mocking them. now they employ irony to cutting effect, which means they just say what they've been saying before, which is what they believe with full sincerity, except without the danger of someone harming their ego.

Now be fair, they've come up with their own jokes, like "Triggered much?" or adding the word "genderfluid" to totally inapplicable situations, those jokesters.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

KillerQueen posted:

Why is Lauren wearing a helmet? Also, why do the sickos with ear piercings care about the OK symbol? Also, and this is important, WHO THE gently caress ARE ANY OF THOSE PEOPLE?

Gavin McInnes is the founder of the Proud Boys, a white supremacist anti-masturbation cult named after the Aladdin musical song "Proud of your Boy." Their initiation involves taking the Proud Boy oath then suffering the devastating punches of their fellow Proud Boys as they name breakfast cereals. That's why the anti-fa is so terrified.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ague Proof posted:

Gavin McInnes is the founder of the Proud Boys, a white supremacist anti-masturbation cult named after the Aladdin musical song "Proud of your Boy." Their initiation involves taking the Proud Boy oath then suffering the devastating punches of their fellow Proud Boys as they name breakfast cereals. That's why the anti-fa is so terrified.

:lol: link is pro-tier click

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ague Proof posted:

Holy poo poo that initiation ceremony. I'm shocked there's many of them left alive after that.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Pants Donkey posted:

Make Bitcoin Great Again :allears:

So "Punch Nazis" is a bad thing in Garrison's world. Honestly didn't think it would be that easy to reel him in.

Also, :lol: at pissypants crybaby protestors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68ceoFJX9o

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: In case you're wondering how the OK hand sign could be a white power signal, the idea is that the three extended fingers are a W, and the finger circle + arm make a P. WP, "White Power".

Here I was, thinking it was related to Trump using that gesture many times during his rallies. Not terribly surprised to learn it's even dumber than that.

And as for two scoops of ice cream, I'm all in favor of Trump cramming as much unhealthy food as often as possible into his rotting pumpkin face.

Cartoons:

Gentlemen please, now that my side has driven brinkmanship as far as I think it can go, why can't we all just get along?

Obama should take Wall Streets money while telling them to go gently caress themselves. AGC

Never knew Germany had such a smog problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/13/scott-morrison-willing-to-take-medicare-levy-increase-to-next-election

Sandpuppy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 15, 2017

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sandpuppy posted:

So "Punch Nazis" is a bad thing in Garrison's world. Honestly didn't think it would be that easy to reel him in.

Also, :lol: at pissypants crybaby protestors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68ceoFJX9o

Oh so we're quite literally acting like apes now. Look at that chest beating.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Is this a still from the piss tapes?

quote:

Is eu-man-with-eu-wheelbarrow-full-of-money is a regular thing with this cartoonist because I feel like I've seen that guy before.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Autistic screeching is not an argument!

Neither is arm wrestling but hey, that's beside the point!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

draw Trump, you HACK

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Internet Webguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZR1gSvnOI0

First Matt Furie and now MST3K?

Is nothing sacred?

Mike Nelson is pretty right wing, so he might endorse that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sandpuppy posted:

What's going on here? Is that cartoon complaining that Macron is pro EU and therefore leeching money from Germany, while Merkel doesn't realize how much she got duped? Because that would be ridiculously tone deaf.

Or is that just some EU politician who takes money from Germany which is of course bad? That would also be kinda stupid Germany pays a lot into the EU, but it's waaaayyy outbalanced by the earnings from exports in the European free trade zone. Sorta how it worked for Britain, by the way.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 15, 2017

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

First off I'm confused by the riot cops who seem to be on the protester's side but are incompetent and there's a molotov at their feet. Of course the point would be a bit clearer if you actually HAD a "side". It's people with strong beliefs in something vs...your group of people saying nothing but "I'm bigger/better/smart than you!!" . Which brings up the man labeled "Gavin" and his explicit threat of violence, "violence" being on the side of the "bad people", a tool used by the "bad people".

So what's your point? "These people bad, THESE people good"? Seriously? Here you are complaining that something is "not an argument" while not, even in the slightest, putting forth any argument of your own with your technically competent but aesthetically bankrupt style. You can't just yell "I'M RIGHT!!" into the abyss without putting forth WHAT you're right about and HOW. All in all you have a comic wherein the LITERAL middle point is "autistic screeching is not an argument" while not actually putting forth an argument for yourself just "You're dumb, me smart, you're weak, me strong, you're bad, me good. Also you're not providing any proof of what you're saying."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That was a commission. People pay Garrison to make them look like they're so much better than the people they hate, not to draw well reasoned arguments

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

alt-right internet types keyed in on coverage of coded white supremacist language, and started promoting various innocuous things as being white supremacist symbols.

Can we promote seppuku as a white supremacist symbol? I think we should.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ague Proof posted:

Holy poo poo.

He has dropped all pretense.

It doesn't even work as blatant racism. Leaving aside that Trump ìs Orange, not white, peach and vanilla are color descriptors of the same goddamn skin tone.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

Autistic screeching is not an argument.

Hahahah

I love how that is literally the centerpiece of the cartoon, juxtaposed with "name-calling" as weakness.

Ague Proof posted:

Holy poo poo.

He has dropped all pretense.

Okay since you dumb mudfuckers fixated on the vanilla thing, you all missed how this is alluding to the news story that Donald Trump is a big boy who gets two scoops of ice cream when everybody else gets only one scoop. Losers!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fulchrum posted:

It doesn't even work as blatant racism. Leaving aside that Trump ìs Orange, not white, peach and vanilla are color descriptors of the same goddamn skin tone.

Obviously, she's saying that she's peach.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

I love how that is literally the centerpiece of the cartoon, juxtaposed with "name-calling" as weakness.

Okay since you dumb mudfuckers fixated on the vanilla thing, you all missed how this is alluding to the news story that Donald Trump is a big boy who gets two scoops of ice cream when everybody else gets only one scoop. Losers!

Trump acting like a spoiled 5-year-old turns Garrison on, it would appear.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

I'm extremely angry that I now know all about this whole thing from reading a few articles about it, but also way angrier that the "movement" exists.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cat Mattress posted:

Can we promote seppuku as a white supremacist symbol? I think we should.

Well, it's already a right-wing thing.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
An attempt was made:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

• Locked thread