Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah. And it's kind of a stupid premise anyway.

Turn the camera around and ask the interviewers if they know how many congressional districts are in their state.

Things everyone should probably know :: things almost nobody needs to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eh, anyone can miss North Korea. All tucked away down there.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I mean I know a girl who pointed at NY when asked where PA was, americans are taught that geography is of little to no importance. I think the argument is if you don't know where these places are, you don't know enough to argue with the narrative.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually though, we no longer need to memorize facts about the world, since those facts are constantly and trivially available 24/7. Much more important is that people understand that they don't know things, know how to look them up, and have the basic curiosity and critical thinking skills to go ahead and look them up before drawing important conclusions based on their ignorance.

So yeah actually you don't need to memorize where all the various countries are, or how many congressional districts are in your state, etc. But you should definitely have been presented at some point with a world map that you paid attention to, just out of a basic idea of understanding how the world is arranged and who lives where, and you should also probably not be forming strongly-held opinions about who we should bomb back into the stone age without even the most basic understanding of who they are and why we're in conflict with them.

All that said, though: "what is North Korea" is pretty important right now and "how many congressional districts are in my state" mostly isn't.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Our president doesn't even know we bombed Syria over Afghanistan so this isn't surprising

And comparing congressional districts lol who loving cares that's as important as what names are on the Supreme Court

Means nothing to the average person. And I say this as a lawyer

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Things everyone should probably know :: things almost nobody needs to know

Which one is which? Because I'd argue something pretty important to the knowledge of local politics is way more important to an American then where a tiny dictatorship that throws a grain silo into the sea everytime Kim runs low on Chinese luxury goods.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shadow225 posted:

Well yeah. A significant number of people think that Kansas BBQ is good.

Nobody talks about Kansas BBQ you idiot.

This post was written to trigger me specifically wasn't it?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Kalli posted:

Which one is which? Because I'd argue something pretty important to the knowledge of local politics is way more important to an American then where a tiny dictatorship that throws a grain silo into the sea everytime Kim runs low on Chinese luxury goods.

Exactly

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
lol, just lol if you don't take those sporcle tests daily where you put the countries with their outlines and self-flagellate for each country you don't get the first time

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"How many congressional districts are there in my state" tells you how many votes your state has in Congress, which sure, that's valuable. Also (adding two for your senators) how many electoral votes your state gets. But I couldn't tell you how many my home state of CA has off the top of my head. If I needed that info, though, I could look it up very easily, because the actually important information is understanding how congress works, what congressional districts are, why and how different states have apportioned representation, and the political ramifications of all that. The actual number is just something I might want to reference occasionally.

"Where is North Korea" is important because they're threatening to build missiles capable of reaching the US West Coast, are directly threatening Japan, and are effectively a pseudo-client state of China. If you're not aware that North Korea is near Japan, and has a border with China, then the context of their behavior is missing. If you just want to find them exactly on a map, you can do that from your phone in ten seconds, so it's not as important to have that memorized and I'd be pretty sympathetic to someone who pointed to the wrong area of the eastern Asian coastline to find them.

They're not equivalent pieces of information, but they're both related in that they both are puzzle pieces that fit into a broader set of knowledge that it's important to be familiar with.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

lol, just lol if you don't take those sporcle tests daily where you put the countries with their outlines and self-flagellate for each country you don't get the first time

I sing the animaniacs all the countries of the world song until you get to Africa and then it's all just gone man, it's gone.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
^^^ I had to watch that again half an hour ago after catching up to this thread.

Spoeank posted:

The day I remember how to spell Kyrgyzstan without having to look it up is the day I know I've made it.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I completely spaced on Lithuania earlier

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'm enjoying a bowl of chicken noodle soup with a Fanta Zero (orange). It's a crazy combo of flavors and macros

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I had pork steak, some fancy rice (wife bought it, I dunno) and broccoli.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm eating del taco

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

a neat cape posted:

I'm eating del taco

im glad of it, and nice troll on metapod

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad Ross is eating the bad food that is del taco. Eat Del Taco is the equivalent to going into a college football game ranked and feeling good then losing to a scrub non sec south team and feeling like poo poo.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You troll MetaPod you get the horns so be careful young Ross

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

I sing the animaniacs all the countries of the world song until you get to Africa and then it's all just gone man, it's gone.

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru

Something something something something something El Salvador too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries. I swear to God. I don't know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I learned that. I know London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That's the closest thing I know to London. He's black, so I'm sure he's not from London. I'm sure that's a coincidental name.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I know when certain people get around Fergie, her london bridges want to go down for some reason :shrug:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
del taco is fine

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spoeank posted:

del taco is fine
especially when drunk

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

fishing with the fam posted:

The day I remember how to spell Kyrgyzstan without having to look it up is the day I know I've made it.

Imagine landing in that country and being in a MWR trying to look up where the gently caress you are at. Also imagine having no idea you were going to land there and that it was going to be -35° when you landed.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Quiet Feet posted:

Quiet Feet posted:

republic dominican, cuba, caribbean, greenland, el salvador too

I used to know the whole thing, now it's just bits and pieces.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

especially when drunk

I think Waffle House was specifically created to be the perfect diner to go to while drunk.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

I think Waffle House was specifically created to be the perfect diner to go to while drunk.

White Castle (though not a "diner")

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I had an odd taste last night for apricots and boy am I paying the price today. I knew the risk going in, and it's been a while since I have had apricots and I reaaaaaaaaally freakin' love apricots but ouch my b hole

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

weird Asian candy posted:

I had an odd taste last night for apricots and boy am I paying the price today. I knew the risk going in, and it's been a while since I have had apricots and I reaaaaaaaaally freakin' love apricots but ouch my b hole

:allbuttons:

I've never heard of this situation that you found yourself in.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

at least it wasn't sugar free gummy bears

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Apricots? Or situation where too many apricots turns your bathroom into an active shitter scenario?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

You're not supposed to eat the seeds, dumbass.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Neither have I, but I am guessing its something akin to drinking prune juice more than it is ring of fire from spicy peppers thing.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

swickles posted:

Neither have I, but I am guessing its something akin to drinking prune juice more than it is ring of fire from spicy peppers thing.

Yes. My bhole is on fire because of the sheer quantity of poo poo and subsequent wipes.

Still.......worth.

Chichevache posted:

You're not supposed to eat the seeds, dumbass.

:lol:

I went with the dried apricots because I am old. I should have paired them with a nice episode of Matlock.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Flikken posted:

Imagine landing in that country and being in a MWR trying to look up where the gently caress you are at. Also imagine having no idea you were going to land there and that it was going to be -35° when you landed.

Flikken confirmed for opium trafficker

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Probably Magic posted:

Flikken confirmed for opium trafficker

Nah, I was moving guns and explosives.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Apricots? Or situation where too many apricots turns your bathroom into an active shitter scenario?

Yes...the lovely situation...also known as the shituation.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Yes...the lovely situation...also known as the shituation.

The shituation seems to be under control thankfully.

But yeah, apricots make you poo because of the high amount of fiber or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nah they're just fruit. If you eat fifteen apples you're also gonna poo poo your guts out, you just don't notice how much you're scarfing down when it's dried fruit.

If you sat down and ate a whole bag of dried apricots that's like eating a gallon of whole not-dried apricots or whatever. You eat too much fruit at once, you gonna pay.

• Locked thread