Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Oberleutnant posted:

Y'all aint never gonna learn :cripes:

British People.

British People Never Change.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Namtab posted:

(Also 20th century European history is totally relevant to British politics, some part of brexit is old people thinking that the eu is Germany's way of trying to rule over people, except economically instead of militarily. A thing you'd know if you weren't some yank chatting poo poo)

Oh for sure, but I dont see how Hitler has anything to do directly with Corbyn's manifesto, or his hiring of a Stalinist (sorry a guy that was a Stalinist till December but is not totes a mainstream labour member) to run his campaign. Or how Labour expects to pay for all of the new entitlements they want without vindictive taxation.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Evil_Urna posted:

When someone has large amounts of income, they tend to be able to just pick up and leave and make a go of it somewhere where they are not going to suffer vindictive taxation just because they are good at what they do.

That’s fine as long as they are forced to stash all of their wealth in third world countries with little or no financial security.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Evil_Urna posted:

Oh for sure, but I dont see how Hitler has anything to do directly with Corbyn's manifesto, or his hiring of a Stalinist (sorry a guy that was a Stalinist till December but is not totes a mainstream labour member) to run his campaign. Or how Labour expects to pay for all of the new entitlements they want without vindictive taxation.

Look I don't even understand why you like the Nazis in 2017 as much as you do, but I think it affects your politics

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzIVssqm9Hs

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jedit posted:

They aren't wholly separate issues, they're linked by cause and effect. If you want to increase spending you need to increase revenue; this is indisputable. But you can't handwave it by saying "We'll increase taxes on the rich" when half the problem is that the rich are able to evade the taxes they should be paying now. Twice nothing is still nothing.

This is where your second issue comes in: how do we stop the rich evading taxes? And really there's only one issue, because if the rich only paid what they're already due we'd have no need to raise the taxes further. Remember Dave Hartnett and his £4.3bn sweetheart deal with Vodafone? If they'd been made to pay that tax it would have paid for every single local authority cut in Britain. Christ, we could probably cut the corporation tax rate and still be rolling in it if we actually made companies pay it.

The actual solutions are international (workers of the world unite after all) as it's far too easy for companies to set their structures up to site their profits in the places with the cheapest rates no matter where they actually do things. Add in intellectual property fees and franchising etc and attempting to reclaim any money from multinationals is sodding difficult. So the only solution is basically start by going for the throat: pay up or we will properly start loving you up.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Namtab posted:

Look I don't even understand why you like the Nazis in 2017 as much as you do, but I think it affects your politics

I bet Hitler thought he was a centrist

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Evil_Urna posted:

I thought I was quite clear earlier. I am not even right wing. I am a centrist like most politically mature people. There are ups and downs with both sides in the US and UK, and you gotta comprise to make the system work. The entire parliamentary system is based on give and take to get done what the people need. Not once side taking total control and ruling by fiat.

The 'centrist' status quo that you're defending allows the mentally disabled to go homeless and die starving on the streets, in first world nations no less, so that people with more wealth than they could ever need don't have to have panic attacks about maybe not being quite so obscenely rich and never in fact be prevented from taking as much as they like from other people's labour.

Get hosed, you right wing piece of poo poo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
"Vindictive taxation" is a smart insidious little soundbite. Have you tried marketing it to the alt-right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the sound of vindictive taxation.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Politically I self-identify as a mature centrist, by which I mean Yemenis don't deserve or even need to be able to live and domestically poverty should be dealt with humanely and philanthropically with the distribution of exit bags.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It funds "vindictive society" and "vindictive services" such as "vindictive libraries" and "vindictive public transport".

Rename the "left" to "the vindictives". So it's "the vindictives vs the right". Who's badass now?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

"My affection for Hitler has nothing to do with this, now let me get back to discrediting the ideology Hitler hated most by smearing people by political association with the man who defeated him."

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I thought the idea was that labour wouldn't ask anyone but the very highest earners to pay more tax?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am vindictive nurse prepare for strike

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I thought the idea was that labour wouldn't ask anyone but the very highest earners to pay more tax?

Yeah that's the idea

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Yeah that's the idea

Doesn't sound very vindictive.

Lets hope the real manifesto offers more to welfare claimants than the leaked one though.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Unfortunately funding essential elements of society by taxing the people who most benefit from societies existence is vindictive.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

"Vindictive taxation" is a smart insidious little soundbite. Have you tried marketing it to the alt-right?

Thank you. I think it works well. Trying to crush business men who actually add to the economy because you are jealous of others success, or out of class spite or whatever. But it has been proven again and again that vindictive taxation upon the wealthy drives down the economy, and forces companies to offshore and to take money out of the local economy.

Thatcher and Regans policy's worked great in England and America until they were neutered and abandoned by administrations down the line.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The top 5% of earners are awfully rich so let's tax them more.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

Thatcher and Regans policy's worked great in England and America until they were neutered and abandoned by administrations down the line.

Everyone remember; he's not right-wing hes a centrist.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Evil_Urna posted:

Thank you. I think it works well. Trying to crush business men who actually add to the economy because you are jealous of others success, or out of class spite or whatever. But it has been proven again and again that vindictive taxation upon the wealthy drives down the economy, and forces companies to offshore and to take money out of the local economy.

Hey look another post for the hall of fame

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Haha the big Hitler fan thinks trickle down works and doesn't result in one guy being extremely rich

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What about instead of trickle down we have a loving waterfall through progressive tax rates and an inland revenue with actual teeth

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Namtab posted:

What about instead of trickle down we have a loving waterfall through progressive tax rates and an inland revenue with actual teeth

Too vindictive. What if we have a brutal police state or perhaps a prison industrial complex that systematically targets racial minorities.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Ah yes the legal structures obligated to minimise liabilities and maximise company profits are forced, forced to act irresponsibly to others around them by governments trying to stop them from acting irresponsibly to others around them.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BBC news at 6 showed a whole two seconds of that women accosting Theresa May about disability benefits, with a voiceover used to completely drown out what the woman said. Then cut to May making another speech about strong and stable.

Boy it would be nice if actual voter interactions were given anywhere near as much airtime as boring, information-free stump speeches.

Also Ken Loach has directed the next Labour party political broadcast.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Too vindictive. What if we have a brutal police state or perhaps a prison industrial complex that systematically targets racial minorities.

I feel we should ban anyone from flying to the UK from the middle east, and also ask for sadiq Khan's birth certificate

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I try to not think the worst of people but anyone defending trickle down economics really are just taking the piss.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

jabby posted:

I don't know if Peter Mullan crying into a can of special brew is really the message we want to send the electorate though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

BBC news at 6 showed a whole two seconds of that women accosting Theresa May about disability benefits, with a voiceover used to completely drown out what the woman said. Then cut to May making another speech about strong and stable.

Boy it would be nice if actual voter interactions were given anywhere near as much airtime as boring, information-free stump speeches.

I've heard that it may have been a set up by the Tories anyway. Wasn't exactly a 'bigoted woman' moment.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'm a high earner and I say tax the gently caress out of me. I mean Jesus Christ you Reaganomics idiots, trickle-down doesn't work, gently caress the assholes who evade tax, draining the wealth of workers (in the form of time of their lives and expertise and effort which are not valued properly at all) and giving nothing back to society.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just saw a Labour party political broadcast that was literally just Corbyn putting forward his ideas, like an interview without the questions and some rally clips. No music or anything, no slick production, just straight talking

Kind of refreshing to be honest, wonder if it'll work

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fans posted:

I try to not think the worst of people

Yet another example of weak ineffectual moderation on something awful

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've heard that it may have been a set up by the Tories anyway. Wasn't exactly a 'bigoted woman' moment.

Why on Earth would the Tories set it up for May to be torn into by a woman and clearly have no answers to give?

It's been fairly widely reported in newspapers and on social media, and described as one of the most difficult moments yet for May on the campaign trail (read: first interaction with a real voter). If the BBC is going to give May several minutes to deliver her slogans it would be nice if it could devote at least five seconds to her being confronted by one of the victims of her policies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Evil_Urna posted:

Why would you want to murder a centrist? We make up the majority of the electorate. Kind of hard to have an economy and pay for your expansive welfare state when all of your earners are dead.

How much do you contribute to the British exchequer exactly?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

feedmegin posted:

How much do you contribute to the British exchequer exactly?

In money or hot takes?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The Tories and their supporters might actually be real-life Ferengi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

How many hot takes does it take to buy a Freddo?

• Locked thread