Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Abel Wingnut posted:

so is philippe pm now? i can't speak french so am trying to parse and connect this via google and twitter

The announcement should happen in 30 minutes or so.
Of course this PM will have no real power, given that there are legislative elections in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
marine le pen becomes the head of the fn again

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's official: Eduoard Philippe

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wikipedia not updated yet wtf

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
a beard haver

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
a Republican mayor close Alain Juppé, the more centrist/ liberal wing of the party

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Who wore it better?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

julian assflange posted:

It's official: Eduoard Philippe

Is that the same person as this guy here skewering Macron with great relish? (in French, sorry. I can't translate it well enough to do it justice).

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Is that the same person as this guy here skewering Macron with great relish? (in French, sorry. I can't translate it well enough to do it justice).

Yes it is.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crosspost from PYF Funny Pictures. Brexit would be a lot more entertaining this way.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That picture has a distinct lack of the Ankara Ambassador Assassin.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
First speech after victory: "important to listen to Le Pen voters"

First act as president: appoint a right wing PM

Speeches and/or acts reaching out to left wing voters:

A "centrist", everyone.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Orange Devil posted:

First speech after victory: "important to listen to Le Pen voters"

First act as president: appoint a right wing PM

Speeches and/or acts reaching out to left wing voters:

A "centrist", everyone.

I think the le pen thing was an attempt on "listen to the proles" rhetoric, which you could see as kinda leftwing, maybe

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, better than trump/brexit was a really low bar, "good" is now anything not literally hitler.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Hambilderberglar posted:

It actually does. Since the current agenda set by the ECB is set for the benefits of Germany alone, rather than the Eurozone at large.

GC is refereing to ecb doing quantitive easing which senpai schlaube was against.reminder that qe was enacted as a last ditch resort after the ecb tried basically everything,has dumped 2 trillion euros into the eu economy and it finaly but barely stopped the bleeding.if that isnt the biggest indictment of the absolute shitshow of the ecomic ortodoxy of the last 30 years i dont know what is.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 15, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

asking here because there's probably the biggest concentration of french people in all of sa :v:

if i want to go to the louvre friday evening, should i buy a ticket online? I'm afraid it's going to be a pain in the rear end to buy it there directly (queue etc)

How does it work for people below the age of 26, do they still have to get a ticket?

You should just get it online, it'll save you time. That said I do recollect once just flashing my student card to get in w/out any ticket, but I think I'm wrong about that. I don't know if an online ticket is tough for you but I doubt you'll have to print it, having it on your phone should be good enough.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You should just get it online, it'll save you time. That said I do recollect once just flashing my student card to get in w/out any ticket, but I think I'm wrong about that. I don't know if an online ticket is tough for you but I doubt you'll have to print it, having it on your phone should be good enough.

You remember right: if you are an EU citizen under the age of 25, the entry to the Louvre Museum is free (just like all public museums in the EU I think?). But nowadays they might be lines anyway due to the security controls.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Have your machetes in separate transparent ziploc bags for easier inspection tia

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/864171637670916098

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sounds too good to be true. And even if those two wanted the right kind of changes, how do you convince the rest to go along with it?

At least the UK will be out soon, they would have blocked anything good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Franco-German compromise:

1. Any EU country not living up to the rules of the Fiscal Compact is put under German stewardship.
2. The treaty is written in French.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

How many EU states would require referendums for that? Just Ireland?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

CottonWolf posted:

How many EU states would require referendums for that? Just Ireland?

If it's an treaty change just Ireland, but it requires unanimity in the council, so good luck with that. It's important to put Merkel's comment in context:

1) She is in campaigning mode - categorically refusing any treaty change would look very anti-European, a big no no
2) Unanimity would be required
3) She wants Macron to make France great again - which means giving him some positive headlines ahead of parliamentary elections in June makes a lot of sense

So yeah, don't expect anything :D

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Not sure why you'd be happy about this. Don't you want the EU to not collapse disastrously?

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

GaussianCopula posted:

If it's an treaty change just Ireland, but it requires unanimity in the council, so good luck with that. It's important to put Merkel's comment in context:

1) She is in campaigning mode - categorically refusing any treaty change would look very anti-European, a big no no
2) Unanimity would be required
3) She wants Macron to make France great again - which means giving him some positive headlines ahead of parliamentary elections in June makes a lot of sense

In a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with the disintegration of the european union into a german Lebensraum

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Fiction posted:

Not sure why you'd be happy about this. Don't you want the EU to not collapse disastrously?

Which is why I oppose a transfer union, because at the moment the only countries that might want to leave can't do so because it would be economical suicide. If, on the other hand, the northern countries, like the Netherlands, would want to leave because they don't want to give money to the South, that would actually kill the EU.

People should keep in mind that Brexit happened because a comparatively rich country felt that it got taken advantage of, while the EU, even at the height of Varoufakis-mania, 70% wanted to stay in the EU.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Which is why I oppose a transfer union, because at the moment the only countries that might want to leave can't do so because it would be economical suicide. If, on the other hand, the northern countries, like the Netherlands, would want to leave because they don't want to give money to the South, that would actually kill the EU.

People should keep in mind that Brexit happened because a comparatively rich country felt that it got taken advantage of, while the EU, even at the height of Varoufakis-mania, 70% wanted to stay in the EU.

We should respect the will of the population, even in their most chauvinistic tendencies, Deus Vult.

ed: but it's amazing how you are shamelessly projecting a vision of an european union where the powerless states are obliged to NOT listen to their popular will just because they are powerless at the cost of listening to Dutch, or whoever surrogate of the master peoples you concocted, because they do have power/influence. Do you even see yourself as anything other than a pure social darwinist/malthusianist?

Fados fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 15, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Have your machetes in separate transparent ziploc bags for easier inspection tia

You might get shot like the last guy tho

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

"if needed"

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
First, the European Court of Justice has to stop a german law for data storing starting 1 of July.
28 years ago people called things like that stasi

The EU Court is the last hope to stop this bullshit. If not I' m sure other EU members will/must/forced to follow.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Fados posted:

We should respect the will of the population, even in their most chauvinistic tendencies, Deus Vult.

ed: but it's amazing how you are shamelessly projecting a vision of an european union where the powerless states are obliged to NOT listen to their popular will just because they are powerless at the cost of listening to Dutch, or whoever surrogate of the master peoples you concocted, because they do have power/influence. Do you even see yourself as anything other than a pure social darwinist/malthusianist?

They are not powerless, but, as the saying goes, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. They could, theoretically, leave the EU, but the consequences would be so dire that even the most incompetent fool would not dare to do it.

Just look at Greece. We were told that Golden Dawn would take over the government if SYRIZA failed. Well, unless the polling in Greece is off by more than 20% SYRIZA failed but it's ND that's leading, with Golden Dawn stagnating at 8%-

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

They are not powerless, but, as the saying goes, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. They could, theoretically, leave the EU, but the consequences would be so dire that even the most incompetent fool would not dare to do it.

Just look at Greece. We were told that Golden Dawn would take over the government if SYRIZA failed. Well, unless the polling in Greece is off by more than 20% SYRIZA failed but it's ND that's leading, with Golden Dawn stagnating at 8%-

I guess you won't be convinced until we have literal neo-nazi parties in power. Proceed as planned, full speed ahead.

I think you know what our main contention is: you think the problems of the southerners are fundamentally of their own making, while me and maybe other leftists would say it's fault of the european rules (or lack thereof). Either way it's clear that what rulesdo exists are applied haphazardly and with the constraints of realpolitik which you so adhere to making them at best ineficient and in my view a complete failure that's bound to lead to EU disintegration. What I can get gather from this is that you are in favor of the current status quo, not because you are against any type of violent enforcing of the existing rules but because you aren't really even that bothered with the potential 'Northern Germanic Union' that would be the result of a EU disintegration. In fact it's something you probably think would work a lot better.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
My favourite piece of news today is that the new prime minister might prefer women with big (but not so big that they'd sag) breasts and who don't act like men be doing things like having one-night stands. That book has two authors so it's not clear who wrote what, but nonetheless. It's not everyday you have a certified beauf in Matignon.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 15, 2017

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
What i got translatet Is funny like the uk home chefs with avocado hand.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The treaty reform: social welfare is now forbidden, as it is now considered "discriminatory subsidies towards individuals" and therefore "unfair and incompatible with free competition"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

My favourite piece of news today is that the new prime minister might prefer women with big (but not so big that they'd sag) breasts and who don't act like men be doing things like having one-night stands. That book has two authors so it's not clear who wrote what, but nonetheless. It's not everyday you have a certified beauf in Matignon.

I could never think of an accurate translation to beauf

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Trump voter"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is it so difficult for the German left to get a foothold?

It's split into 3 parties, plus all the reasons the center-left is weak everywhere in the first world right now, decline of unions, etc etc. Plus the CDU is a pragmatic ruling party that to a large extent is willing to just occupy the center-left if the SPD moves further to the left. Similar to Japan in a lot of ways actually, except people don't jump to racist/orientalist "well that's how Asian peoples' brains work" to explain it

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

"Everyone's racist uncle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers For Algeria posted:

"Everyone's racist uncle"

For example the average RMC talk show caller is a pretty good example of a beauf but isn't necessarily a racist.