Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a new King Arthur movie out until yesterday, so that sounds about right.

I didn't even see a trailer until last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really liked it but I felt it was a bit more generic than Guy usually has his influence in. More conventional than his early stuff which is always awesome. Snatch, RocknRolla, etc.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Macarius Wrench posted:

Justified because it was an awful film, thoroughly awful. Not bad in an entertaining way, not terrible in an unexpected way, just completely pointless and dull and poorly made. Granted I'm not an anime nerd, i saw about half the 95 original when I was a kid, and the only real draw for me was ScarJo but doesn't change how loving god awful that film was.

Just thinking back to my time in the cinema I am reminded of the uncomfortable, restrictive, choking feeling I had when I looked at my watch and realised only 25 minutes had passed since the trailers ended.

Vile film, pointless and un-redeeming. It's the worst movie I have ever sat through and I saw Pixels.

Really? drat, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
There will be people who enjoyed it, sure, but if you really pushed them to explain what they enjoyed about they would crumble. I maybe enjoyed it in the way my dumb brain would sit and "enjoy" Will and Grace or the Big Bang Theory or The Fast Show but under any critical analysis or serious analytical discussion you would be left speechless. Its a loving shitebag of a film that makes me genuinely angry that I spent 90 minutes of my life on it in a way that no other movie has for me apart from maybe North? Pixels was loving awful but at least it had a personality albeit a hated one. Ghost in the Shell, fittingly didn't even have that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Macarius Wrench posted:

Just thinking back to my time in the cinema I am reminded of the uncomfortable, restrictive, choking feeling I had when I looked at my watch and realised only 25 minutes had passed since the trailers ended.

Surprise, this was my reaction to the anime. Certainly not gonna check out the live action movie at this rate.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Macarius Wrench posted:

Vile film, pointless and un-redeeming. It's the worst movie I have ever sat through and I saw Pixels.

I know, the Internet is all about stupid exaggeration, but holy poo poo, did the director sleep with your mom or something? It was a okayish movie at best with some nice ideas and a tremendous look and art direction (much stolen from the Anime). It was nowhere near as good as the Anime, and it was unexciting outside of the design, but "worst movie"? Worse than Pixels? It wasn't even the worst big budget movie this year. Or of the weekend it started on.

Not having the classic opening song was the biggest mistake of the movie (since the whole whitewashing thing was at least justified in-story I don't dock it on it too much).

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 15, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Decius posted:

I know, the Internet is all about stupid exaggeration, but holy poo poo, did the director sleep with your mom or something?

Well he did have a history with women.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Decius posted:

(since the whole whitewashing thing was at least justified in-story I don't dock it on it too much).

Haha what that just makes it worse.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Decius posted:

I know, the Internet is all about stupid exaggeration, but holy poo poo, did the director sleep with your mom or something? It was a okayish movie at best with some nice ideas and a tremendous look and art direction (much stolen from the Anime). It was nowhere near as good as the Anime, and it was unexciting outside of the design, but "worst movie"? Worse than Pixels? It wasn't even the worst big budget movie this year. Or of the weekend it started on.

Not having the classic opening song was the biggest mistake of the movie (since the whole whitewashing thing was at least justified in-story I don't dock it on it too much).

Didn't they use a dubstep remix of the classic song

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Gatts posted:

I like Hunnam, better than Worthington, Alexander Skarsgard and Jai Courtney but they're all sorta bland except Charlie's getting there and some traction going.

I also liked King Arthur and am sad it didn't do well but kind of happy it's not a franchise. Guy will probably make one more Sherlock Holmes to appease Hollywood and ask for a favor from Downey so hopefully he will be fine.

Don't forget our other extremely bland Swede Joel Kinnaman, who people for some reason also think should be a action star. I have seen both Alexander Skarsgård and Joel Kinnaman in a lot of Swedish movies and never understood how they got to Hollywood. At least Alicia Vikander is good though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I kinda like Skarsgard. I thought he was pretty good in Generation Kill as a total weirdo, anyway.

Guy Ritchie's next movie is the live action Aladdin. Hopefully with an all Arabic or Chinese cast.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Alicia Vikander is really good.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Decius posted:

Ghost in the Shell is real bad actually. It has more establishing shots than plot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've never looked at a movie and wished it had less evocative imagery but more plot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fried Watermelon posted:

Didn't they use a dubstep remix of the classic song

They used it over the end credits which always feels more of a "gently caress you fanboys, here's your drat theme song" move rather than a respectful homage to the original text

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Don't forget our other extremely bland Swede Joel Kinnaman, who people for some reason also think should be a action star. I have seen both Alexander Skarsgård and Joel Kinnaman in a lot of Swedish movies and never understood how they got to Hollywood. At least Alicia Vikander is good though.

It's me, I'm the guy who likes Joel Kinnaman and would love to see him in more stuff. I felt really sorry for him in RoboCop, he sold the existential dread of being reduced to a brain and half a lung in a jar extremely well.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sir Kodiak posted:

I've never looked at a movie and wished it had less evocative imagery but more plot.

I mean when it's the same cgi shot of the same city in the same lighting 19 times you might. It's like Scooby-Doo cartoons.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Was the Ghost in the Shell old man Smithers?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Does the GitS live action film really reuse establishing shots? That's surprisingly stingy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sir Kodiak posted:

Does the GitS live action film really reuse establishing shots? That's surprisingly stingy.

To be fair, no. It just feels the same after an hour.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ah, okay. I hadn't recalled anything like that. Thought it looked great, myself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Hercules was only bad because

Because they got The Rock to play Hercules and then went with some de-mythed story.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

But it's okay because The Rock played a fully mythic Hercules in F8 this year.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Peanut President posted:

Ghost in the Shell is real bad actually. It has more establishing shots than plot.

To be fair, unless if we are talking about SAC, there is always going to be more anything than plot in Ghost in the Shell

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Byzantine posted:

Because they got The Rock to play Hercules and then went with some de-mythed story.

He made the movie with a pulled groin and got 3 hernias, or something like that. He's Herc irl

I own the blue, its a good movie

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Byzantine posted:

No actually those are good things

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Rock's Hercules wasn't even the best Hercules movie that year.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In a spot of irony, the new Pirates movie is being held hostage by internet hackers: http://gizmodo.com/report-new-pirates-of-the-caribbean-being-held-for-ran-1795240158

Maybe this is a good time to get the McAfee people to help since Depp is going to star in a movie about their founder.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eh just pay up. Pay the ransom. It's in the spirit of piracy.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

In a spot of irony, the new Pirates movie is being held hostage by internet hackers: http://gizmodo.com/report-new-pirates-of-the-caribbean-being-held-for-ran-1795240158

Maybe this is a good time to get the McAfee people to help since Depp is going to star in a movie about their founder.

Yikes. I think it's extremely likely that the movie will, in fact, be leaked. If the hackers have any brains at all, they'll have it hooked up to some kind of dead man's switch to remove the option of "prevent it from getting leaked by throwing law enforcement at the problem".

Can you imagine the shitstorm if it was The Last Jedi instead? That'd be historic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They can keep it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this. You refuse, you let it get leaked, you try to recoup your money anyway, then you hunt down the hackers. Anything else encourages more ransoms.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

No actually those are good things

For clarity, the bad part is the de-mything.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kiimo posted:

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this. You refuse, you let it get leaked, you try to recoup your money anyway, then you hunt down the hackers. Anything else encourages more ransoms.

Yes, this is good for consumers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Remember OitNB season 5?

Yeah you do. You saw Trevor Noah make a tongue in cheek joke about how bad people shouldn't be on twitter (I can't think of any who are) and rushed to pirate it because that was a cliffhanger and it's the mark of a good show that you want to know how that resolves so you did it. You broke internet law and you watched the whole mess in two days.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/orange-is-the-new-black-leak/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

syscall girl posted:

Remember OitNB season 5?

Yeah you do. You saw Trevor Noah make a tongue in cheek joke about how bad people shouldn't be on twitter (I can't think of any who are) and rushed to pirate it because that was a cliffhanger and it's the mark of a good show that you want to know how that resolves so you did it. You broke internet law and you watched the whole mess in two days.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/orange-is-the-new-black-leak/

I remember they didn't pay the ransom.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fewer Pirates of the Carribean movie is good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't remember most of them establishing anything. They were very high shots of the city's tops and its advertising, like Bladerunner. So more like transitions. But they weren't literally reused. But after seeing one, you've seen them all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

I think he was just talking about the poetry of a studio paying ransom for a movie about pirates.

I doubt the leak will affect the box office much, I also doubt the movie will do that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sir Kodiak posted:

so basically like GITS Innoncence

• Locked thread