Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Novum posted:

Dog, what about your donger?

Mr. Nice! posted:

authentic greco-roman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

Your fault for wearing something to grab onto. What I'm saying is, wrestle naked

I like this way of thinking.

JaySB posted:

Leg locks have been around forever but Danaher has apparently come up with an extremely efficient system of applying them in high level competition.

Do you have some goon insight or guidance as to what part of the leg lock knows better than everyone else? I'm trying to see if he is using his bum leg in his thinking and legitimately found something. Sometimes silence creates implications so I want to say I'm reanalyzing my relationship with sports on a fundamental level and seeing where my spot is. I actually went to a normal person gym yesterday and the level of self loathing everyone emanated kinda freaked me out. But they were there, so I'm not bitching. It was just a different vibe.

If I could have a spot in the sport running a gym or helping the disabled, I'm going to still be irritating once and a while in this forum. Sorry in advance.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Wangsbig posted:

put on shorts dingus

I keep my shorts + an extra rash guard always clean so I can do a no gi class in case I don't have time to wash my other stuff when I come back from class. Not all of us can afford two pairs of grappling shorts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

I keep my shorts + an extra rash guard always clean so I can do a no gi class in case I don't have time to wash my other stuff when I come back from class. Not all of us can afford two pairs of grappling shorts

My octopus spats and my tiger muay thai spats both arrived today

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CommonShore posted:

My octopus spats and my tiger muay thai spats both arrived today

If I saw a dude confident enough to wear those to a gym I think I'd jump out a window for my own safety.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Do you have some goon insight or guidance as to what part of the leg lock knows better than everyone else? I'm trying to see if he is using his bum leg in his thinking and legitimately found something.

He develops imperfect positions that are a little bit outside the norm. He chooses them for some advantage he sees over the traditional position, then he develops chains of counterattacks to offset the new weaknesses. The end result is a web of positions where each position is flawed, but the transitions between them are really good.

For example, DDS guys seem to favour the kneebars where you stay close to the hips, while Reilly Bodycomb teaches you to connect yourself to the heel. Reilly's kneebar works on much taller opponents, the DDS one doesn't. But the Reilly version is an all-in attack that leaves fewer transitional options if it fails, while the hips-tight DDS version has a higher chance of failure it's also easier to transition into outside ashi or inside sankaku or followup attacks. Danaher's not good because he has a gimp leg, he's good because he's an expert at systematic thinking from his philosophy studies.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 13, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Novum posted:

Dog, what about your donger?

I'm not too worried. Gonna be a bad day for someone if I achieve the mount or triangle though...

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

I'm not too worried. Gonna be a bad day for someone if I achieve the mount or triangle though...

On that subject, my instructor's instructor back in the day wasn't a native english speaker so would sometimes find his own names for positions based on what they looked like. For example, he would call north-south position sixty-nine. most people found it hilarious so he kept calling it that but had to change it back to the original name once parents were looking horrified at him while he was coaching the kids class.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

He develops imperfect positions that are a little bit outside the norm. He chooses them for some advantage he sees over the traditional position, then he develops chains of counterattacks to offset the new weaknesses. The end result is a web of positions where each position is flawed, but the transitions between them are really good.

For example, DDS guys seem to favour the kneebars where you stay close to the hips, while Reilly Bodycomb teaches you to connect yourself to the heel. Reilly's kneebar works on much taller opponents, the DDS one doesn't. But the Reilly version is an all-in attack that leaves fewer transitional options if it fails, while the hips-tight DDS version has a higher chance of failure it's also easier to transition into outside ashi or inside sankaku or followup attacks. Danaher's not good because he has a gimp leg, he's good because he's an expert at systematic thinking from his philosophy studies.

How deep does he set traps? I can explain what I mean if it isn't clear.

Edit : If you all haven't put two and two together, I have an extremely fundamental physical disability I keep to myself. It's meaningless in all things but my approach to the world. This type of stuff is very, very cool. I appreciate the breakdown.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 15, 2017

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

I can explain what I mean if it isn't clear.

Please do.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Odddzy posted:

Please do.

I believe it's relevant to my coaching experience. I went to a college without fencing because of cash. I started the club. I wasn't a great coach but I could get myself to the spots where I won and my athletes won on grit and smarts. I could have at least been a junior olympian if I didn't decide to "fix" my allergies. But literally no one cares.

In a card game, the best hands are where you get three or four moves deep and hit the opponent with the loving kitchen sink. That relies on a bunch of deception. But I think I pursued Jiu Jitsu for the wrong reasons. I want to fight and wrestle but I never learned those wrestling positions. I'm trying to write loving calligraphy with a Sharpie.

I'm acutely aware of the length of this and uncomfortable with the degree it puts myself out there, put it paints the picture. I really want to know.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Making traps that are multiple levels deep is like... it's a thing, but it's not a thing you do on the spot. It's a thing you work out in training over a long period of time, and then you drill it into your subconscious. When grappling I think it's rare that anybody's going to be consciously thinking more than two steps ahead, even at black belt, and if they have one of those games that's full of traps, they've flowcharted that stuff out at training but they're really just living in the moment when you grapple with them. You might enjoy Josh Waitzkin's book The Art of Learning for some interesting information on how you relegate huge chunks of information to your subconscious and how your conscious mind has only a surface-level awareness of what's happening.

Most people's A-games are shaped like an hourglass, where you work your way from a large number of bad positions into a small number of positions that you're extremely familar with, and then once you start attacking there are a limited number of responses to memorize. like this:

For example, these days my own game goes from bad places to half guard, from half guard to top side control, then I attack kimuras, then i respond to their reactions to my kimura. So it's kind of like your card game analogy, but it's not like you're an evil genius, it's just that you've limited the options by going to your preferred positions, which makes it much easier to handle mentally. God knows I can't keep track of everything that happens in BJJ, but I can keep track of the most common reactions to my favourite half-guard sweep, because it's only like 3 things, and I can drill those 3 things into my subconscious so hard that I never have to think of them again. (Quick tangent: A thing I liked from Danaher's instagram is the idea that whenever you train your A game, you're training depth of knowledge, and whenever you drill other things in class outside your A game, you're training breadth of knowledge. Depth will get you taps, breadth will make you more adaptable.)

This is all wild blue belt conjecture but I would guess Danaher's system is just 10-20 trees like this that overlap and flow back and forth into each other. One tree for when you're passing closed guard, one tree for when you have their back, one tree for when you've got a triangle locked up, etc. It's probably not mind bogglingly complicated, most of the trees are probably pretty simple, but they'd flow together in clever ways, and the positions are slight variations on the standard ones making it a bit unpredictable.

Example: I trained with a Tristar guy for a bit and he showed me the origin of the Outside Ashi position. Supposedly Danaher preferred this to the more common control position you'd use to straight ankle lock somebody:

The 'new problem' with this position is that you don't have a foot on top of their hips, so there's nothing stopping them from simply coming up on top of you and passing. Danaher's solution when they come on top is to do a sweep where you post a hand behind yourself, scissor your legs out, and push your body up and around into a kneebar position, pushing off that posting hand behind you. And obviously, he's expecting to run into that first reaction a lot (the other guy coming over the top). That's an example of where he's created a new position variation to add unpredictability and he's developed counters to offset the new problems, and it ties in with the stuff I was saying in my other post.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 16, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I play shitloads of strategy games and this is exactly how I think about both those games and about jiu jitsu. I'm thinking about writing a chart out now for my ideal approaches to BJJ from all of those positions. I'm at least making it in my head, and most of mine flows through half guard.

What would be really useful would be to make that chart and use it to identify which of your moves are lowest percentage and then find new moves or drill drill drill.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CommonShore posted:

I play shitloads of strategy games and this is exactly how I think about both those games and about jiu jitsu. I'm thinking about writing a chart out now for my ideal approaches to BJJ from all of those positions. I'm at least making it in my head, and most of mine flows through half guard.

What would be really useful would be to make that chart and use it to identify which of your moves are lowest percentage and then find new moves or drill drill drill.

Holy God damned gently caress, where have you people been? I think of the best deception as a five to six stage trap and people tend to be the most vulnerable between the third and second.

I hate math but have a proven track record with results. This is going to give me a lot to think about.

I will tell anyone in this forum anything. If it's about mental health I would be glad to as well, just keep it private if you want diagnosis talk.

This is my overflow area. I think here in this thread and in the parrot thread. Those are my little happy places.

P. S. The "thought overload" you guys experienced was how my brain deals with physical pain. Turns out I had flu. I've visited death about three times now and hospitals want to put cameras on me because -

A. - Weird brain/pain tolerance/perception of time.
B. - They can treat you once they name you
C. - I am completely, pants wearingly cogent.
D. - I apparently know quantum mechanics? loving Christ. Five doctors asked where I'd studied doctorally. I only read Stephen King and History.

I have a problem with trust right now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Medical science may have declared me god's most hosed up boy, but my brain is the perfect mma machine.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I try to post less than I used to. As a result of training at some mediocre gyms and watching a lot of DVDs, my conceptual understanding of BJJ is a long way past my actual practical ability to tap people, so I'm kind of self conscious that my posts might be full of poo poo sometimes.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Holy God damned gently caress, where have you people been? I think of the best deception as a five to six stage trap and people tend to be the most vulnerable between the third and second.

I hate math but have a proven track record with results. This is going to give me a lot to think about.

I will tell anyone in this forum anything. If it's about mental health I would be glad to as well, just keep it private if you want diagnosis talk.

This is my overflow area. I think here in this thread and in the parrot thread. Those are my little happy places.

P. S. The "thought overload" you guys experienced was how my brain deals with physical pain. Turns out I had flu. I've visited death about three times now and hospitals want to put cameras on me because -

A. - Weird brain/pain tolerance/perception of time.
B. - They can treat you once they name you
C. - I am completely, pants wearingly cogent.
D. - I apparently know quantum mechanics? loving Christ. Five doctors asked where I'd studied doctorally. I only read Stephen King and History.

I have a problem with trust right now.

I find this all fascinating. But, because we're in a comedy forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4c78PZRsHs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Drewjitsu posted:

I find this all fascinating. But, because we're in a comedy forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4c78PZRsHs

Thank you. : slowly presses bookmark :

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Medical science may have declared me god's most hosed up boy, but my brain is the perfect mma machine.

Ffffffuck you.

Anyways.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
If you're not comfortable with putting yourself out there or revealing too much about yourself I don't understand why you keep doing it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Oh bother I swore.

Those charts are very cool. I'm gonna let you guys do your thing. But if I suddenly figure out how to time travel with BJJ (I'm likelier to catch fire) I'll let y'all know.

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for that info. It shows a pro-biker and my BJJ prof are on the same page about me finding my limits. That's all I care about. This isn't E/N AT ALL so I'll leave reasons to myself but you guys are objective about information put in front of you.

If you get a chance, it'd be worthwhile picking up a copy of Joel Jamieson's ultimate mma conditioning (or look at articles on his 8weeksout website) for some fairly good insights into cardio etc. He advocates the use of a heart rate monitor when doing cardio to achieve specific results.

I think he has a four week conditioning program free on the website which is fairly straightforward to follow and aimed at lowering your resting heart rate to build a good cardio base.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I try to post less than I used to. As a result of training at some mediocre gyms and watching a lot of DVDs, my conceptual understanding of BJJ is a long way past my actual practical ability to tap people, so I'm kind of self conscious that my posts might be full of poo poo sometimes.

meh :justpost: especially if the thread has had only 10 posts in the last week.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

HunterDevourer posted:

He advocates the use of a heart rate monitor when doing cardio to achieve specific results.
Speaking of heart rate monitors, does anyone use one when they grapple? My girlfriend wanted to get me a fit bit for Christmas, but I 86'd that idea since my workouts are mainly grappling and I'm not sure if it will be a hazard to me or my rolling partner.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I avoid posting technique advice since there are higher belts who can do a better job but in terms of grappling experience you've done it for years now so that should count for something, right? :buddy:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bangkero posted:

Speaking of heart rate monitors, does anyone use one when they grapple? My girlfriend wanted to get me a fit bit for Christmas, but I 86'd that idea since my workouts are mainly grappling and I'm not sure if it will be a hazard to me or my rolling partner.

this is probably not a good idea for grappling. not least because your opponent or sparring partner can read it. but also because its not something you have a ton of control over when youre in direct competition like that. for the purposes of training, its only useful for controlled efforts.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Please post technique advice or questions. I think it's useful regardless of experience to see how people view certain techniques and what small details they pick up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

Please post technique advice or questions. I think it's useful regardless of experience to see how people view certain techniques and what small details they pick up.

Seriously this. I'm sorry for the introspection but sticking with the thread will literally change how I watch MMA grappling. I need to see how healthy I can get first, (I'm not dying, just rehabbing), and I'm already joining a cycling gym. I've NEVER broken through my cardio wall consistently. They are all about the heart rate monitors. I've never watched that.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
My east indian mate used one while we were rolling at 80% and he got up to 180bpm. Does that seem quite high to anyone else?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nierbo posted:

My east indian mate used one while we were rolling at 80% and he got up to 180bpm. Does that seem quite high to anyone else?

Kinda depends on his overall fitness level. 180 is high but might not be near death. I used to routinely get into the 160-170s doing intense cardio.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Thats not particularly high, the classic formula for Max heart rate is 220 - age , in practice theres a lot of variation between individuals but its an ok guideline. If hes young it wouldnt be unusual to see someone get up to 180bpm at close to max exertion

You probably shouldnt be getting your heart rate up that high every time you work out though, partly for safety reasons and partly because it might be too high to get the adaptations you want (hence the 'target heart rate' you see for aerobic training etc)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nierbo posted:

if he was really at 80% and not above it then that would make his max hr about 215ish which is uncommon but not strange. it tends to decrease as you age but people in their 30s have recorded 220+. whats more important to know is the difference between your resting and maximum hr

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Bangkero posted:

One of my partners wears one that straps around your chest and as far as I can tell he never has a problem with it and I've never noticed it when rolling with him.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
My wife uses a bluetooth chest strap hr monitor and it works great for rolling GI, no problems. IDK about nogi probably would work ok.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I've tried to map my whole game before, and it's too big and sprawling to work. You can map small sections of it out, though. I've usually got a kind of overarching positional strategy from bottom to top, but then a bunch of smaller maps like a guard passing plan and a back attack plan.

What I've found does help is to try and rank your moves in order of importance. So it's not like "get here, then do A or B or C" but rather "Attack A. If condition X prevents A, attack B." It's been awhile, so I'll try and map my current game over the coming days and explain how I lay it out as I go. I'm the exact opposite of a natural athlete, so I need to do a lot of this kind of mental organization to ever make progress.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The bands on the basic fitbit are pretty bad, you have to go up a model or two to get the ones with the watch band style which are sturdier.

Also they aren't meant for abuse, just pressing the button throughout the day to check time, steps, etc will make them fall apart pretty quickly.

I know I wouldn't appreciate rolling with someone wearing one, it's like a wristwatch more or less.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've tried to map my whole game before, and it's too big and sprawling to work. You can map small sections of it out, though. I've usually got a kind of overarching positional strategy from bottom to top, but then a bunch of smaller maps like a guard passing plan and a back attack plan.

What I've found does help is to try and rank your moves in order of importance. So it's not like "get here, then do A or B or C" but rather "Attack A. If condition X prevents A, attack B." It's been awhile, so I'll try and map my current game over the coming days and explain how I lay it out as I go. I'm the exact opposite of a natural athlete, so I need to do a lot of this kind of mental organization to ever make progress.

Well yeah exactly - it's too big. That's why I was thinking about my ideal game - just plan A and plan B from every major position, though now that I think about it from my preferred positions I have plans HIJ and K.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Here's the stuff I'm working on right now. This is the golden path that I try to follow in every roll unless I'm taking it easy on a beginner or something.

So that's the most important stuff and those are the most important transitions to drill. I still need to work on actually choking people with the reverse triangle instead of just using it as a control position, and I also need to drill the transitions from other guards into half guard. I'm just kind of winging it and they can probably be smoothed out more. Once I'm happy with those, I'll move on to:

All the "Plan B" steps are for when the other person has forced one major error on me. They get drilled second.

All the "Plan C" steps are two errors deep. They get drilled third.

And that's how I work out which order to troubleshoot and drill: how many errors removed it is from my primary gameplan. It's not like I don't play around with all of that stuff, but my top priority is making sure that every transition in plan A is awesome before I sink too much time into troubleshooting the others.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
It will take some explaining, but does anyone want to know about a stupid system in my head that produces athletic results?

I think those BJJ charts are hosed. It's like a computer trying to paint. I can explain it using a car's manual transmission as an analogue.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

It will take some explaining, but does anyone want to know about a stupid system in my head that produces athletic results?

I think those BJJ charts are hosed. It's like a computer trying to paint. I can explain it using a car's manual transmission as an analogue.

training the sport brazilian jiu jitsu has produced athletic results in me, and others as well

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Wangsbig posted:

training the sport brazilian jiu jitsu has produced athletic results in me, and others as well

Tell me where you get stuck. Literally. Where does your body quit? How can we make that a strength?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've have a plan and I've been thinking about investing in a wrestling school for years with my own cash. It would meet a need. That's all this thread needs to know.