Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Crabtree posted:

Unfortunately for me most of my work is lovely young, middle and old rural white people that are loving pumped that Agent Orange if visiting us for the Liberty Graduation this year, making it another Christmas like shopping rush. It's gonna be real great hearing about how some of them just couldn't come in tomorrow because they need to scream for the Fuhrer.

Good luck doing that with the morning shift who will bitch to the boss if their state propaganda is switched off.

Paradoxically I think the young Trump supporters are going to be the holdouts while the older ones will be the first he sheds. Most people, particularly older people, don't pay that much attention to politics and don't go past checking headlines when it comes to news (which is why I think just looking at headlines is a great start into piercing the veil of right wing opinions) and they liked the superficial soundbyte version of Trump but aren't liking the reality. They haven't made a huge emotional investment in him so it doesn't cause them as much psychic pain to ditch him. A lot of them have voted for stinkers in the past so they don't have as hard a time admitting they cast their vote for the wrong person. Young Trump supporters are more likely to be extremely emotionally invested in him, not have an experience of admitting they voted poorly, and are much more likely to be sympathetic to the alt-right and their brand of crazy. Dumping Trump would require serious introspection and emotional maturity; if they had those they wouldn't be a young Trump supporter to begin with.

(Note that none of what I said about middle aged politically apathetic Trump voters applies to Trump's vocal base.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Paradoxically I think the young Trump supporters are going to be the holdouts while the older ones will be the first he sheds. Most people, particularly older people, don't pay that much attention to politics and don't go past checking headlines when it comes to news (which is why I think just looking at headlines is a great start into piercing the veil of right wing opinions) and they liked the superficial soundbyte version of Trump but aren't liking the reality. They haven't made a huge emotional investment in him so it doesn't cause them as much psychic pain to ditch him. A lot of them have voted for stinkers in the past so they don't have as hard a time admitting they cast their vote for the wrong person. Young Trump supporters are more likely to be extremely emotionally invested in him, not have an experience of admitting they voted poorly, and are much more likely to be sympathetic to the alt-right and their brand of crazy. Dumping Trump would require serious introspection and emotional maturity; if they had those they wouldn't be a young Trump supporter to begin with.

(Note that none of what I said about middle aged politically apathetic Trump voters applies to Trump's vocal base.)

Older ones probably remember the good old days and how their party wasn't full of such pieces of poo poo so yeah i imagine so; younger grew up with the whole CRYING LIBTARDS narrative

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Uhhhh... doesn't the DoJ bring charges and not the FBI?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Sloober posted:

Older ones probably remember the good old days and how their party wasn't full of such pieces of poo poo so yeah i imagine so; younger grew up with the whole CRYING LIBTARDS narrative

I think a lot don't even have much of an attachment to their party. Most independents end up voting R but it shows that even though they pull the level for Republicans each time, they're not so much attached to the party as they would find voting Dem unthinkable.

Confession: I'm one of these independents. Texas has open primaries though so I got to vote for Bernie and get to do the smug "not only do I not own a television, I'm not a registered Democrat OR Republican!" :smugdog: Since I could first vote in 2008 I have voted pretty much straight ticket D every time :sun:

E: yeah the DOJ brings charges for federal crimes which is why we're hosed while the racist elf is in charge of it

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Twelve by Pies posted:

He claims that in the next six months he's going to release all this information that will prove he's right, and I assume specific claims that he made, such as there being a leftist group, funded by George Soros, that strongarmed the advertisers who pulled ads from his show into doing so, and that the protests against him were also funded by Soros.

I seem to recall him being real happy when Thiel won his personal war with Gawker by funding a conspiracy-like network to attack from multiple angles. Even if he's right, it's just the invisible hand of the market a billionaire at work.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Relentless posted:

I seem to recall him being real happy when Thiel won his personal war with Gawker by funding a conspiracy-like network to attack from multiple angles. Even if he's right, it's just the invisible hand of the market a billionaire at work.

Well, the only good {vast shadow-funded conspiracy of hostile intent} is my {vast shadow-funded conspiracy of hostile intent}, so that checks out. (See the IOKIYAR rule.)

Xibanya posted:

E: yeah the DOJ brings charges for federal crimes which is why we're hosed while the racist elf is in charge of it

Goddammit, all I want for my birthday is a Jeff Sessions presser where he announces he's "stepping down to spend more time with [his] white family," but my birthday's in October :(

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Relentless posted:

Yeah that whole conflict got turned into a political issue in the right wing talk radio circuit, with Gawker's destruction painted as a victory for conservatism (don't think about it too hard, the listeners don't.) Amusingly I admitted to that conservative friend I like to mention that one of my guilty pleasures is Jezebel's Shade Court and he seemed horrified that the Gawker sub blogs live on (they were purchased by Univision.) guess that goes against the "victory for conservatism" narrative so he'd never heard about it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xibanya posted:

In theory he has recused himself from matters involving the Russia investigation. But I think that means that the Rosenstein guy who wrote the Comey memo would be in charge of providing attorneys to the FBI or appointing a special prosecutor.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Xibanya posted:

Yeah that whole conflict got turned into a political issue in the right wing talk radio circuit, with Gawker's destruction painted as a victory for conservatism (don't think about it too hard, the listeners don't.) Amusingly I admitted to that conservative friend I like to mention that one of my guilty pleasures is Jezebel's Shade Court and he seemed horrified that the Gawker sub blogs live on (they were purchased by Univision.) guess that goes against the "victory for conservatism" narrative so he'd never heard about it.

In your defense, today's Shade Court is delightful.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xibanya posted:

I

We basically have to hope for someone in the FBI to go full Snowden/Manning with the results of the investigation

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MrUnderbridge posted:

Pssst - tv channels can be changed without a remote.

Don't listen to him; he speaks terrible blasphemies!

It starts with changing channels without a remote. It ends with fishpeople.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Xibanya posted:

I guess my point is that firing Comey doesn't just magically reveal all this damning evidence that MAGAists think will unequivocally prove that Killary KKKlinton is guilty. If one Jefferson Beauregard Sessions didn't walk into the DOJ and immediately file charges I'd say that the evidence wasn't strong enough to prove unless you're stuck in a legal objectivist (?) way of thinking.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

LOL I got "fake news"-ed again at work today. My general tone regarding politics is pretty light and akin to "looks like those clowns in congress did it again" but I was telling someone about how Comey learned he was fired when he saw it on the TV behind him, and some numbnuts I don't know who was sitting 20 feet away pipes up with "That's not true. It was on :jerkbag:MSNBC."
In the surprise of the moment, I made the mistake of mentioning the sudden firing of Comey (this was right when it hit the Internet) to a co-worker Trumper. He didn't see anything wrong with it, and when I asked if it was appropriate or suspicious to fire the head of the agency that's investigating your administration for treason (and I even rattled off Flynn, Bannon, Page, and Sessions) and he looked at me with a "you poor idiot" look and said, essentially: "But, her e-mails."

I should have kept my mouth shut.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00SD24QWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_SmUfzb7EQ2J1T

These are good for shared or public TVs.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Not sure if you guys already talked about this youtube channel but i got a PragerU advertisment while looking up dumb gamer videos.

https://youtu.be/Hok2PiRnDfw

Facts dont care about your feelings. See how crazy these leftists are :smug:

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
So I took a look in the local rag's Sunday edition- mostly for sports but also because the editorial section is always good for a :stonklol:

and man, did it ever come up with a doozy: http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/05/13/dear-jane-fonda-minimum-wages-destroy-jobs

quote:

Dear Ms. Fonda:

As you travel to Detroit this weekend to campaign for a $12 minimum wage, I suggest you read this letter.

I'm sure you mean well. But are you familiar with the voluminous number of peer-reviewed studies that conclude minimum-wage laws damaged the very people that many of the Hollywood left say they care about -- blacks?

Respected economist David Neumark examined all of the major academic minimum-wage studies from the previous 20 years, more than 100 studies in all. Eighty-five per cent of the studies found that minimum-wage laws destroy jobs, causing workers to lose jobs and/or hours or causing businesses to shut down. "Minimum-wage laws," said Neumark, have "a negative employment effect on low-skilled workers."

Believe it or not, before minimum-wage laws took effect, a black teenager was actually more likely to have a job than a white teen. I repeat -- before the impact of federal minimum-wage laws, the first of which was in 1938, a black teen was more likely to be employed than a white teen. What happened?

Nobel-winning economist Milton Friedman calls the minimum-wage law "one of the most, if not the most, anti-black laws on the statute books." Friedman said: "The do-gooders believe that by passing a law saying that nobody shall get less than $2 an hour or $2.50 an hour, or whatever the minimum wage is, you are helping poor people who need the money. You are doing nothing of the kind. What you are doing is to assure that people whose skills are not sufficient to justify that kind of a wage will be unemployed. ...

"The minimum wage law is most properly described as a law saying employers must discriminate against people who have low skills. That's what the law says. The law says here's a man who ... has a skill which would justify a wage rate of $1.50, $2 an hour. You can't, you may not employ him. It's illegal. Because if you employ him you have to pay him $2.50. Well, what's the result? To employ him at $2.50 is to engage in charity. Now there's nothing wrong with charity. But most employers are not in a position where they can engage in that kind of charity. Thus the consequences of minimum-wage rates have been almost wholly bad, to increase unemployment and to increase poverty. Moreover, the effects have been concentrated on the groups that the do-gooders would most like to help. The people who have been hurt most by minimum-wage laws are the blacks."

Contrary to popular belief, most people on minimum wages are not men with families, but teenagers and part-time workers, and a disproportionately high percentage of them are young black and brown workers.

The Black Entertainment Television website, in 2011, published an article titled "Black Teens are Fired When the Minimum Wage Rises": "Economists William Even from Miami University and David Macpherson from Trinity University report that when a state, or the federal government, increases the minimum wage, black teens are more likely to be laid off. ... The report focused on 16- to 24-year-old males without a high school diploma and found that for each 10% increase in the federal or state minimum wage employment for young black males decreased 6.5 percent. By contrast, after the same wage boost, employment for white and Hispanic males fell respectively just 2.5% and 1.2%.

"The real hit for black teens occurred, however, in the 21 states that had the federal minimum wage increase in 2007, 2008 and 2009. The findings reveal that while 13,200 black young adults lost their jobs as a direct result of the recession nearly 40% more, a total of 18,500, were fired because of the rise in the federal minimum wage."

A new study on the minimum wage just came in. "Survival of the Fittest: The Impact of the Minimum Wage on Firm Exit" is by two researchers, one with Mathematica Policy Research and the other with Harvard Business School. It focused on whether a minimum wage increase also increased the likelihood of a restaurant shutting down as a result of the increased cost of labor. The researchers concluded that "a $1 increase in the minimum wage leads to approximately a 4% to 10% increase in the likelihood of exit." Not good.

Finally, even California Gov. Jerry Brown, who signed a $15 minimum-wage bill last year, conceded, "Economically, minimum wages may not make sense. But morally, and socially and politically, they make every sense because it binds the community together." Astonishing. Tell that to somebody who lost a job or failed to get one because of the minimum wage.

Have fun in Detroit, Ms. Fonda. Maybe instead of a speech, take in a Tigers game. You'll do a lot less damage.

Sincerely,

Larry Elder

Why stop at 1.50 an hour, Larry? Why don't they just work for free? Ugggggh.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How do these minimum wage whiners rationalize that seatle credit card processing company that raised its minimum wage to 70k/year gaining more business and becoming more successful?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Azuth0667 posted:

How do these minimum wage whiners rationalize that seatle credit card processing company that raised its minimum wage to 70k/year gaining more business and becoming more successful?

They don't. There are studies showing the exact opposite of his claim, which is why he needs to invoke a "respected economist". It's cherry picking and ignoring the rest.

Especially in Canada, where he is, since our entire economy uses temporary foreign workers like indentured servants with no chance of permanent residency, because industry continuously bemoans not finding Canadians willing to work for pennies.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 14, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Sedge and Bee posted:

They don't. There are studies showing the exact opposite of his claim, which is why he needs to invoke a "respected economist". It's cherry picking and ignoring the rest.

So back to cherry picking and alternative facts of which the best response is to not even engage them.

Company is Gravity Payments if anyone was wondering.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Crossposting this from my "Decoding Authoritarians" thread:

So I decided to catch up on the last 6 weeks of Right Wing Watch and yeah.......there are a bunch of things worth pointing out here. All of this is in relation to inner narrative evolution; i.e. the process via which the inner narrative changes with each successive compaction cycle to steadily become more extreme- and in turn justify steadily more extreme behavior. On top of this Trump's "Religious Liberty" EO has had a massive impact in Religious Cluster Narrativist media outfits and is seen as Trump giving them the personal go-ahead to speak their inner narrative loudly and proudly. I have included a number of examples here with some commentary on each.

Even being a Democrat is now being equated with being demon-possessed or "serving the devil". This is a Narrativist declaring that everything is now a stark binary and you are either with the Narrative or you are with the "Enemy". Over time as more compaction cycles (occur and narrative evolution continues) you can expect Gordon here to start speaking at length about the necessity of resisting Satan (the Enemy) with physical force in one speech and then again equating all Democrats/Leftists with Satan in the next speech. Then he will do those two things in the same speech. Then finally (if this process is not somehow stopped) he will drop the outer narrative and and just speak the plain inner narrative of advocating for violence towards all non-Narrativists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJZa4YYccA

Here we have Jim Bakker equating the jokes of Colbert with incitement to violence while referencing the Religious Liberty EO as freeing him to now speak this great truth to the masses without fear of repression. Over time you will see Bakker eventually come to conflate conflate *ALL( criticism of Trump with incitement to violence against Trump. And he will eventually begin to demand that law enforcement act on these "public threats".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfCFl8Rwwg

Here again we have criticism or "mocking" of Trump equated with being a willing agent of the Enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx1ynvD51co

This video is just strait up loving chilling. Alex is no-bullshit calling for Trump to round up and imprison "dangerous" and "treasonous" Democratic leaders. The base wants a compaction cycle directed against their old enemy Hillary, and you can bet that Trump will eventually pick up on that and try to give his base what they want. (All Trump cares about is getting worshiped by his base and he will do whatever it takes to get that worship- so once he has any ability at all to threaten Hillary with arrest and/or have the DoJ threaten her on trumped up pretenses then it will certainly happen.) Note how very close to openly inciting violence against Democrats/leftists Alex Jones is in this video. He presents a dire/mortal threat that must be thwarted by any means this instant and then tells his viewers who that Enemy is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgWKDkjcJLI

Followup to the above: Here is a demonstration of how easily a Narrativist can justify literally loving anything they have too in order to preserve their delusions about their heroic Strongman and the incredibly noble/righteous struggle it is for The Elect to support their hero against the endless and vile machinations of The Enemy. You can think of Alex Jones as the glowing core of a slow moving radioactive explosion. The level of rhetoric that Alex Jones engages in sets the tone for the entire rest of the Alt-Right, and as a result you can expect many more Alt-Right personalities to start calling for random acts of violence against Democratic leaders/all leftists while mockingly using only the very thinnest of veils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzaVgAB38w

Much like the long forgotten adherents of Radki once you spend long enough thinking that you are special and listening only to people who will not challenge that idea then you develop the idea that you have special powers. In the case of Radki its Narrativist adherents believed they had deadly Qi powers because that is the Narrative of the delusional world they immersed themselves in. In the case of Mr Joyner here he (and his Narrativist dominated social environment) believe they have the ability to predict the future because that is the dominant Narrative of the delusional world they have immersed themselves in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6k6wZxHXj4

This video is slightly obtuse in its meaning unless you are familiar with the environment that it is meant to speak too. This is a coded call for Religious Cluster Narrativists to prepare to violently resist demon-possessed collaborators with the Enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scCV9TD4fk

More of the same theme here. Resistance to Trump is resistance to the God-Force and therefor all resistance to Trump is an action of (and he literally uses the term over and over in this video)"the Enemy".

[video ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW3bvBUdqJo[/video]

The title of this video speaks for itself. Beyond that though it includes a detailed conspiracy theory about how all anti-Trump protests are actually being funded by the Russians and involve mostly willing stooges. These stooges are further being controlled by demons aka the Enemy and this is all tied to a random bit of seemingly prophetic Narrative taken from the Bible. This all concludes that the widespread anger at Donald Trump is proof that God is supporting Donald Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H99WB6nTwt4

In conclusion the ongoing compaction cycles are creating the long anticipated inner narrative evolution and this is all occurring (by happenstance, we just got unlucky here) in conjunction with the seeming blessing of Trumps religious liberty EO to speak your inner narrative out in public. This trend will result in competing inner narrative's arguing for dominance over Narrativist media with the more compact (more extreme/radical/violent) eventually either winning out or mutually driving every other inner narrative to ever higher levels of relative compaction as they compete for adherents. This trend will manifest first in the most extreme Alt-Right outlets, but you can expect Fox News to sound eerily similar to the above within 6 months as a result of the continuing Narrative Convergence.

We are I believe (in short) living through my theorized "Narrativist Wave Event" wherein Narrativists seize control of society during a prolonged period of Narrative Convergence. Think of Narrative Convergence as being like a nuclear explosion; in order for a successful detonation (Narrativist Wave Event) you need a sufficient quantity and density of radioactive material under enough pressure. Likewise for a Narrativist Wave Event you need a sufficient quantity of high-compaction Narrativists under sufficient compaction cycles caused by ongoing narrative dysphoria. Initially I expected there to be only enough Narrativists to amount to a "radioactive wet fart" of about a dozen incidents of Malheur-like violent resistance in the wake of Trumps defeat in the election. Trump's victory however Dramatically increased the amount of Narrativists involved in the ongoing Narrative Convergence, and seems to have tipped us from contained Narrative Convergence to full-blown Narrativist Wave Event. (Had Trump lost things would have been lovely but we would have been fine, with Trump in power however a disturbing portion his deluded followers will eventually turn violent to preserve their delusions rather than confront the depth of their personal deception.) While it is still unclear which side (Narrativist vs literally everyone else) will ultimately prevail I feel quite confident that we are living through the real deal.

If this poo poo isn't stopped within the next 5-10 years America is almost certainly going to go full Nazi.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
as someone who remembers the bakkers from the 80s it amazes me anyone still listens to that clown

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mewnie posted:

So I took a look in the local rag's Sunday edition- mostly for sports but also because the editorial section is always good for a :stonklol:

and man, did it ever come up with a doozy: http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/05/13/dear-jane-fonda-minimum-wages-destroy-jobs

Why stop at 1.50 an hour, Larry? Why don't they just work for free? Ugggggh.

-- blacks?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The Muppets On PCP posted:

as someone who remembers the bakkers from the 80s it amazes me anyone still listens to that clown

Same but Trump

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Prester Jane posted:

If this poo poo isn't stopped within the next 5-10 years America is almost certainly going to go full Nazi.

Didn't you also state emphatically that Trump would be unable to restrain himself from losing his mind at Hillary in the debates and straight up verbally assaulting her, or even doing so physically.

The US is not going to go "full Nazi"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Prester Jane posted:

Crossposting this from my "Decoding Authoritarians" thread:

*lots of chilling stuff*

Democrats fall apart, Republicans fall in line. Never fails.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Didn't you also state emphatically that Trump would be unable to restrain himself from losing his mind at Hillary in the debates and straight up verbally assaulting her, or even doing so physically.

The US is not going to go "full Nazi"

wasn't wrong about that if you count "nasty woman" as verbal assault

Edit: as I've said elsewhere I think Prester's theories are overstate d a bit but with good core observations

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

wasn't wrong about that if you count "nasty woman" as verbal assault

Edit: as I've said elsewhere I think Prester's theories are overstate d a bit but with good core observations

He literally said he was going to put her in jail. "lol, what an idiot, he said Trump would straight up verbally assault her"

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Sedge and Bee posted:

Especially in Canada, where he is, since our entire economy uses temporary foreign workers like indentured servants with no chance of permanent residency, because industry continuously bemoans not finding Canadians willing to work for pennies.

Well, this Larry Elder dude is from the US- some lawyer from LA or something. His Twitter feed is full-on Freep, though.

Just the Sun loves to bring in these weird "libertarian" writers for some insane oped piece now and then. In between Lorne "I'm more concerned of my son being falsely accused of rape then my daughter actually being raped" Gutner and Anthony "The SJW menace is trying to destroy western civilization" Furey.

They did try to be the Fox News of Canada for a bit, but they wildly overestimated their market of Angry Albertan Townie and fizzled out in like, a year? :lol: They still try to import American style conservative rhetoric, though.

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 14, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A crosspost from the Schad thread, a bit of levity.

https://twitter.com/chrismohney/status/863729968639086592

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mewnie posted:

Well, this Larry Elder dude is from the US- some lawyer from LA or something. His Twitter feed is full-on Freep, though.

Just the Sun loves to bring in these weird "libertarian" writers for some insane oped piece now and then. In between Lorne "I'm more concerned of my son being falsely accused of rape then my daughter actually being raped" Gutner and Anthony "The SJW menace is trying to destroy western civilization" Furey.

They did try to be the Fox News of Canada for a bit, but they wildly overestimated their market of Angry Albertan Townie and fizzled out in like, a year? :lol: They still try to import American style conservative rhetoric, though.

Sun was also denied mandatory carriage on basic cable packages and, because they were hemorrhaging money, they complained that not having that would kill them. Other news channels had that at one point in their history, but don't really anymore. It also only applied to the most basic of services, which a majority of Canadians with TV packages don't have to begin with. Most people with cable TV packages have larger subs and could already get Sun TV when it was a thing, but it wasn't within the first 35 channels or whatever, and they claim that's what killed them.

So now, therebel.media, which is online only, does fairly good business and makes money. So, while Sun TV failed spectacularly, what became of it hasn't yet.

Most people who aren't already in the RWM bubble in Canada tend not to take Rebel links seriously, and left wingers often straight up refuse to click on them, because every click makes Ezra Levant more powerful. Levant, the founder, is also known for doing things like buying a domain of a journalism student's name to use in a concern-trolling harassment campaign. Or organizing a political protest at which the crowd chants "lock her up" (the her referring in this case to the female premier of Alberta, Rachel Notley), and then responding by selling lovely t-shirts.

Also, Crowder advertises his own show on that site. I wish I saved the image of the ad the last time I saw it because he had his wedding ring front and centre. It was perfect.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The best part of the rebel is whenever one of their pet white supremacists goes off script and starts being anti-semetic, at which point the higher-ups suddenly remember Levant is Jewish

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leofish posted:

Sun was also denied mandatory carriage on basic cable packages and, because they were hemorrhaging money, they complained that not having that would kill them. Other news channels had that at one point in their history, but don't really anymore. It also only applied to the most basic of services, which a majority of Canadians with TV packages don't have to begin with. Most people with cable TV packages have larger subs and could already get Sun TV when it was a thing, but it wasn't within the first 35 channels or whatever, and they claim that's what killed them.

The main thing is that getting mandatory carriage means that cable companies are mandated to pay them to carry the channel regardless of if anyone watches it, for every single customer they have, just like in the US system. Because of this, Sun TV would have made a lot more money then they did as a normal basic cable channel. It would only be getting paid for maybe a few hundred thousand more subscribers a month, but that's no small chunk of change.

Now granted, the channel shouldn't have needed that money to keep going, but of course they'd try to get it. It's just plain good business if you can manage it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

fishmech posted:

The main thing is that getting mandatory carriage means that cable companies are mandated to pay them to carry the channel regardless of if anyone watches it, for every single customer they have, just like in the US system. Because of this, Sun TV would have made a lot more money then they did as a normal basic cable channel. It would only be getting paid for maybe a few hundred thousand more subscribers a month, but that's no small chunk of change.

Now granted, the channel shouldn't have needed that money to keep going, but of course they'd try to get it. It's just plain good business if you can manage it.

You're right, I had forgotten that particular point of it. They were still bleeding upwards of $16 million or more a year for the short time they were in business.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I do miss the days when GISing Ezra just returned pages upon pages of his dumb smug face with that dumb smug smirk.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mewnie posted:

I do miss the days when GISing Ezra just returned pages upon pages of his dumb smug face with that dumb smug smirk.

Now, you're probably confused why some blue haired kid with a lightsaber is the top result.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hahahaha lol at Daily Caller's headline.

Right Wing Watch is a useful site but they do focus on the most extreme and abhorrent examples of lovely right wing talking points. What I think might be more useful in aggregate would be short summaries of articles that basically cover both what the article is arguing for in its text, but also the message its communicating in its subtext. I think over time these two elements are more influential than the outright rage porn. But anyway, speaking of rage porn:

Master Shake posted:

On Friday’s Mark Levin show, Most Americans, according to Facebook interactions, cared less about President Trump firing James Comey than other events in the Trump Administration. Americans cared more about the inauguration, the healthcare replacement attempt, and Mike Flynn. Also, was the firing of Comey unconstitutional? No, the President has plenary power to appoint and fire people in his administration. Comey was not fit to remain FBI Director, his judgment was a disaster.

Also, you don’t seize the power from the Attorney General and do what Comey did. He laid out the case for the indictment for Hillary Clinton and then pulled the plug. There was no grand jury and 11th hour subpoenas were used just to make it look like they were doing something. Despite what the Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe had to say, many FBI agents were furious with what Comey did. All of a sudden both Comey and McCabe are angels. What we have here is that the left has conquered the media. They are fully out of the closet. They bring the biggest malcontents from the Democrat Party and pretend they are newsmakers.

Later, some are calling Trump’s firing of Comey a constitutional crisis, or even comparing it to the assassination of JFK. What they say doesn’t matter, there is obviously nothing here. After that, Missouri has passed a Convention of States Resolution making it state number 12 to do so. People love their country and the Constitution and want to save them.

Later, the left is starting to push another movement related to the use of the 25th Amendment. The left is now hoping, pushing and strategizing to make Trump look like an absolute insane buffoon and dangerous. There will be arguments about the Vice President and majority of the cabinet acting to remove him from the presidency, and then Congress making the decision. A small cabal of politicians with a very radical and anti-American base are doing everything they can to overthrow this administration.

v nice how Trump himself continues to contradict Master Shake. If there's anyone I wish I could hate to death, it would be Mark Levin. :cry:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Limbaugh today said The FBI probably hacked the DNC and framed Russia for....reasons he didn't specify.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Limbaugh today said The FBI probably hacked the DNC and framed Russia for....reasons he didn't specify.

Clearly it was all hatched by Comey as a way to bow out gracefully.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

DandyLion posted:

Clearly it was all hatched by Comey as a way to bow out gracefully.

He didn't want to do the job and wanted to bow out using sheer incompetence.

Is trump bowing out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I heard a preview for a npr program where the guest is Beck.

Goddamn every non regressive that still believes in "nice manners/some sense of civility " needs to get hit by a bat.