Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

If it helps, I did get around to cranking his confidant up to around 8, and he's really grown on me as a character. Unfortunately he's kind of being an utter turd right now where I am in the story, so he hasn't won back a spot in the party.

Mechanically he just got unlucky. I held onto Agathion as my lightning-shooter for an unreasonable amount of time, and then I fused up an Isis with a boatload of different elements that's been carrying me since. I just don't need Ryuji's elemental coverage, and Yusuke's got that amazing physical move that gets boosted by a baton pass. "Fox, taking over" has been how a not-insignificant number of my fights lately have ended.

When Ryuji gets Charge, he overtakes Yusuke's damage potential by a pretty big margin. That's late in the game, but once that happens, he's probably the best damage-dealer in the party (I guess tied with Ann, but Ryuji's less limited by SP). Charge + Swift Strike does a pretty good job of deleting random encounters whenever enemies don't null/reflect/drain physical. I liked to pass the baton to Ryuji and let him use that free turn to Charge so he'd be ready to go when it was his turn.

Before then, though, Yusuke's definitely good. It's unfortunate that his Baton Pass-boosted damage doesn't really work in boss fights, since bosses don't have weaknesses and you can't crit them. If you could, I think Yusuke would be a lot more competitive in the late-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

When Ryuji gets Charge, he overtakes Yusuke's damage potential by a pretty big margin. That's late in the game, but once that happens, he's probably the best damage-dealer in the party (I guess tied with Ann, but Ryuji's less limited by SP). Charge + Swift Strike does a pretty good job of deleting random encounters whenever enemies don't null/reflect/drain physical. I liked to pass the baton to Ryuji and let him use that free turn to Charge so he'd be ready to go when it was his turn.

Before then, though, Yusuke's definitely good. It's unfortunate that his Baton Pass-boosted damage doesn't really work in boss fights, since bosses don't have weaknesses and you can't crit them. If you could, I think Yusuke would be a lot more competitive in the late-game.

Ann is better than Ryuji because her damage isn't as risky in multi-target fights. She's a lot more SP-hungry, but that's easily manageable late-game.

Also Baton Pass should be used for damage since Charge gets no benefit from the Baton boost.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much of a damage boost is Baton Pass? Assuming one pass, not two or the mythical three passes. If it's 50% then you're probably right; if it's less, then using that turn to get in a "free" Charge is going to lead to more damage overall, which is what I assumed.

As for Ryuji vs. Ann: yeah, her SP issues aren't a huge deal in the endgame. As for multi-target fights, at least going by bosses, by the time they have Charge/Concentrate there's very likely only one story boss left that has multiple targets, and you should probably have both Ryuji and Ann nuking that thing down anyway. Ann's better for damage against the bonus boss for sure, though, for exactly the reason you describe. You want your damage to be as predictable and consistent as possible there.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 15, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Most of the poo poo you'd want to baton pass on don't let you get them and a charged, taru'd god's hand is possible every couple of rounds and mostly everything dies to a handful of those when combined with Ann's concentrated blazing hell and Joker being Joker.

Baton Passing has higher potential surely but if your opportunities aren't realistically able to be created, it's only potential.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna say it again, the best party is Ryuji/Makoto/Haru.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you can get Batons consistently (even with just gambling with Miracle Punch), just use Ryuji's turn for Charge and then Baton Pass to magnify that Charge boost even greater.

I mean yeah it's pretty much for random fights though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arist posted:

Makoto's a solid mid-game player with no spectacular niche by the end so she's a bencher really. Haru's rooty tootys are brilliant and she's Haru so you get her on your squad because she's stylish as gently caress. Ryuji's a no brainer (all interpretations).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Makoto's a solid mid-game player with no spectacular niche by the end so she's a bencher really. Haru's rooty tootys are brilliant and she's Haru so you get her on your squad because she's stylish as gently caress. Ryuji's a no brainer (all interpretations).

Nah man, Makoto can do literally everything you need her to do, full heal, Marakukaja, literally nuke poo poo. Her main downside is that she only gets one turn per round.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Harrow posted:

When Ryuji gets Charge, he overtakes Yusuke's damage potential by a pretty big margin.

For real?! :v: I'll keep an eye on him then, thanks for the heads up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arist posted:

Nah man, Makoto can do literally everything you need her to do, full heal, Marakukaja, literally nuke poo poo. Her main downside is that she only gets one turn per round.

None of that's worth dropping Ann's concentrateyness for though.

You can get Joker to do your heals or heat ris- never mind he's just hassou tobi'd things to death and the fights over.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do people care about an optimal or best party at all? There is nothing in the game that is even a slight challenge even to a halfway competent party by the endgame.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The actual best party is you, solo, with your immune to everything Yoshitsune.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It kinda is. I'd never bring Ann along for the final few boss fights because her best poo poo's multitarget and by the end all she's good at is nuking poo poo. Ryuji has the same issue but he's dope and has Tarukaja so whatever. Having a party member who could buff or heal as necessary and also do good damage is great. It saved my rear end in some of those fights.

Also Ann is barely a character.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've maxed knowledge and charm, the rest are at 4. What should I focus on increasing next?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ann is a good character.

Haru is the one they forgot to give a character to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All of this assumes you want to use an "optimal" party and not just use the characters you like best while beating the game no problem anyway:

Arist posted:

Haru's Triple Down deletes random encounters with the best of 'em, but I'd rather have Ann in that slot for boss fights. Concentrate + Blazing Hell is insanely good damage, better than anything Haru can do (since you can't crit bosses), and most of Haru's support is either lackluster (Heat Riser) or can be entirely replicated by items you can buy (Tetrakarn, Makarakarn). Amrita Shower is admittedly nice, but not as nice as Ann's damage.

You can get Joker to do your heals or heat ris- never mind he's just hassou tobi'd things to death and the fights over.

Why are you dropping Ann for Makoto, though? Makoto goes in the "support" slot, not one of the damage-dealer ones, and she's a much better endgame support than Morgana. You don't need Salvation ever, and the Recarm spells are pointless when you can buy Life Ointments from Takemi for a reasonable price. Meanwhile, Makoto brings as much healing as you'll ever need (Mediarahan), Marakukaja, and more HP than Morgana. Best support easily.

And Joker has enough to do with Debilitate and Charge + Hassou Tobi. Joker's damage potential is better than any party member, so I'd rather have someone who's crappier at damage doing the healing and Marakukaja-applying than have Joker do that and waste turns he could be doing murder instead.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Sefal posted:

I remember saying that persona 4's final boss music was better than Persona 5's.
I'm taking that back. Rivers in the desert is loving amazing.

I hope you're talking about The Almighty and not the piece of crap The Genesis is

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

PirateBob posted:

I've maxed knowledge and charm, the rest are at 4. What should I focus on increasing next?

Depends which confidants you care about; all the stats are necessary for someone. If you've not already discovered, one party member confidant requires max Proficiency to start.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Depends which confidants you care about; all the stats are necessary for someone. If you've not already discovered, one party member confidant requires max Proficiency to start.

Gardening is apparently really loving difficult

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Thanks. Good to know nothing will be a waste. No I haven't discovered that one yet. Empress I'm guessing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Where are you in the calendar? Has Haru joined yet? Because you'll need max Proficiency to get to rank 2 with her and therefore get Baton Pass for her, so you might want Proficiency next.

That said, max Kindness is required to complete Emperor, which is my favorite, and max Guts is required to complete Hanged Man, which also owns. Depending on where you are in the calendar I'd probably prioritize Proficiency, then decide whether to go all-in on Kindness or Guts depending on where you are in the confidants that require them and which you're more insistent on maxing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ledgy posted:

I hope you're talking about The Almighty and not the piece of crap The Genesis is

Well, considering both P4 and P5 have 3 tracks for end-game fights, it HAS to be The Almighty.

The Almighty : Rivers in the Desert
Mist : _____Jaldabaoth______ (it's straight up just the final bosses name because :effort: i guess)
Genesis : Our Beginning

Rivers in the Desert wins its match up (if it was the Live version of Almighty, however it'd be closer for that sweet sax solo); Mist wins its hands down and Our Beginning is infinitely better than Genesis but that's a very, very low bar so that would be more impressive if it was worse.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Are then even any links that require max Knowledge? Can't recall any off the top of my head.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Star

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kay Kessler posted:

Are then even any links that require max Knowledge? Can't recall any off the top of my head.

All stats have to be maxed for one Confidant, yes.

Charm: Priestess
Guts: Hanged Man
Kindness: Hierophant
Knowledge: Star
Proficiency: Empress

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

Gardening is apparently really loving difficult

it's pretty hard if you dont want to gently caress it up, yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

As a person who has gardened before: it's not that difficult

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Somehow I doubt only people with "transcendent" levels of dexterity can grow tomatoes.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, considering both P4 and P5 have 3 tracks for end-game fights, it HAS to be The Almighty.

The Almighty : Rivers in the Desert
Mist : _____Jaldabaoth______ (it's straight up just the final bosses name because :effort: i guess)
Genesis : Our Beginning

Rivers in the Desert wins its match up (if it was the Live version of Almighty, however it'd be closer for that sweet sax solo); Mist wins its hands down and Our Beginning is infinitely better than Genesis but that's a very, very low bar so that would be more impressive if it was worse.

Funny how the """""""final boss""""""" got the best music of its game 2 times in a row

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rainuwastaken posted:

Somehow I doubt only people with "transcendent" levels of dexterity can grow tomatoes.

please teach me the secret to growing them from seedlings to harvest in four days

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Reiterpallasch posted:

please teach me the secret to growing them from seedlings to harvest in four days

use people :unsmigghh:

At least, that's what I assume Haru does.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I wish they fixed the awk romance in persona games.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

the implication is that you're not only grown tommies, you're helping managing the schedule and poo poo.

now remember that he's a 16 year old boy and therefore it's a miracle any free time isn't spent trying to tear his dick off of his body

that's pretty transcendent.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Apparently in the Persona universe country folk suck at gardening, seeing as how a dude from Tokyo was able to manage a garden without any proficiency, just his cousin helping.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Harrow posted:

Haru's Triple Down deletes random encounters with the best of 'em, but I'd rather have Ann in that slot for boss fights. Concentrate + Blazing Hell is insanely good damage, better than anything Haru can do (since you can't crit bosses), and most of Haru's support is either lackluster (Heat Riser) or can be entirely replicated by items you can buy (Tetrakarn, Makarakarn). Amrita Shower is admittedly nice, but not as nice as Ann's damage.

blazing hell is an irrelevant move unless you reaper trick. I fought every single enemy I came across and deliberately grinded a bit before the final boss and she still didn't learn it. it's like the "chie is good because she can learn group heat charge (when there's barely any time left in the game and even at max level she can only cast it once before needing more SP)" argument all over again

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

that's pretty transcendent.

Fair enough

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

now remember that he's a 16 year old boy and therefore it's a miracle any free time isn't spent trying to tear his dick off of his body

It probably would be if the cat would just give him some alone time instead of sending him to bed at 9pm every night.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

darealkooky posted:

blazing hell is an irrelevant move unless you reaper trick. I fought every single enemy I came across and deliberately grinded a bit before the final boss and she still didn't learn it. it's like the "chie is good because she can learn group heat charge (when there's barely any time left in the game and even at max level she can only cast it once before needing more SP)" argument all over again

That Chie argument is significantly worse because that group Heat Riser's cost is insane, to the point that the time you spend refilling Chie's SP so she can use it more than once (plus the SP restoration items you have to spend doing that) kinda nullifies any advantage in having one person attack/defense/agility buff everyone instead of just casting them separately. And hell, Kanji brings the most important buff anyway while also doing more damage, especially now that Golden gave him Power Charge. That's way worse than saying "gain a couple more levels and Ann demolishes Haru instead of just being about equal."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

(Haru is still better than Ann)

(Gun is a really frequent weakness and her damage output is insane even without Concentrate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
At what