Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

katkillad2 posted:

I never thought they would support two portable devices and sold my 3DS long ago, now I'm not so sure. I'm interested in Fire Emblem: Echoes, Monster Hunter Stories, Culdcept Revolt and maybe Ever Oasis. So if there's anything new at E3 I'll probably pick up a 2DSXL.

It's likely going to be like the GBA and DS before it. Both had games released for a year or two the next one came out. Most were very forgettable but pokemon was a good reason to keep the old console around, they love releasing the first gen after a new console to the previous one!

From what I remember of Sun/Moon's released they seemed pretty set on releasing the 3rd game (Star?) on the Switch and not the 3DS so we'll see if Pokemon Company is changing how things are done. I don't expect anything too significant to come out for the 3DS that isn't also on the switch. At least nothing that hasn't already been announced but I've kind of neglected my 3DS for the last year or two so I'm not even sure if anything titles are coming out soon. My 3DS library is just over 2 dozen games though so I go my money's worth out of 3DS and 3DS XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LethalGeek posted:

You know you can just ride by them on the horse and ignore them right?

Yeah it's easy to avoid them but if I ignore every fight in the game then there's not a lot of moment-to-moment gameplay other then me scrambling up the side of a cliff or something.

E: Changing topics tho, if Nintendo were to announce they're making a new cup for MK8:DX and they're bringing back 4 fan favorite courses, which levels would you want to return?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 15, 2017

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!
Zoras wielding mainly spears makes so much sense because swinging weapons would be absolutely useless underwater. Piercing is much easier and reliable due to the hydrodynamic shape of the spear and swimming at high speeds with it in front of them would make for some devastating damage.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's the complaint about shrines that people try to handwave away with "Y-you don't HAVE to do all of them!" but I don't find that acceptable. If your answer to something being dull and repetitive like the shrines is to stop doing them or playing that means there's a problem with the game in my opinion. The fact that just about (if not half) of them are just the same exact combat trials or "you found the shrine- there is no puzzle surprise" means, to me again, that they should of probably cut down on the numbers and instead tried to make them more unique and interesting.

By their very design, most open world games are not designed to be completed 100% of the way. They are designed so that you come across enough of them that you get the things you need without having to incredibly search for things. Any open world game breaks down into repetitive design if you try to 100% it, just by the way they're made. At least in BotW you know what the reward is for shrine 95 whereas in most open world games it could be nothing, or the equivalent of nothing for that point in the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah it's easy to avoid them but if I ignore every fight in the game then there's not a lot of moment-to-moment gameplay other then me scrambling up the side of a cliff or something.

E: Changing topics tho, if Nintendo were to announce they're making a new cup for MK8:DX and they're bringing back 4 fan favorite courses, which levels would you want to return?

Make a rainbow road cup.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I thought hard mode would be "link now has to eat food periodically or he'll starve to death" and other survival game stuff but it sounds just like stat inflation on enemies

No offense but that sounds awful

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dk mountain (originally in double dash and returning in wii kart), and I don't care what the other three are

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The health inflation with silver enemies and such gets pretty dull to slog through even with buffed flurry rushes, but for the most part I didn't have an issue with BotW's difficulty. It got way easier the further I got, but that's a feature, not a bug. Zelda games are meant to be accessible, and you're meant to have ways of mitigating difficulty if you explore enough.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There were some things about BotW that did annoy, like that you had to skip TWO cut scenes going in AND out of a shrine. Also the loving golf shrines and the ones where you had to use the motion controls. gently caress those. Also I didn't have the same degree of issue with breakable weapons that others did but I did think a loving sword shouldn't shatter after five hits, or they're making some lovely rear end steel in Hyrule. If this was a PC game I'd mod it to keep the breakable weapons but quadruple their durability.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would want Wuhu island, Waluigi Pinball, Wario Coliseum, and uh... If there any other courses that are one long course with no laps I really like those.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I honestly wish that bows broke faster

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nintendo give me a new Bonk game for the Switch

Zelder posted:

I honestly wish that bows broke faster

Or that they weren't so common. I don't use them nearly enough (because of the lack of arrows at the start) to go through the shitload the game throws my way.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm sure this has been asked before multiple times but the thread moves too fast and I don't have search. Can you easily buy games from the Japanese shop with an American visa card? I get to the point of purchase and it just gives me a "check contents" red text error after I plug in my card info etc. My card works for international purchases too so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

An all Ghost house cup!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I would want Wuhu island, Waluigi Pinball, Wario Coliseum, and uh... If there any other courses that are one long course with no laps I really like those.

My most wanted thing for E3 next month is an announcement of MK8D DLC. Another Rainbow Road would be cool so then we could have a makeshift RR Cup. I also want Birdo and Diddy and that rad tank kart from DS.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nintendo give me a new Bonk game for the Switch

Or that they weren't so common. I don't use them nearly enough (because of the lack of arrows at the start) to go through the shitload the game throws my way.

Yeah, here have 35 bows and 52 arrows, have fun Link! And of course they patched out the arrow exploit the day before I was gonna use it. I did it once, got like 80 arrows, and was gonna do it again and then it loving autopatched, when I went to load up Blaster Master.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

.Then there's the quest rewards always being rupee's or like, a nice steak dinner. I had 0 motivation to do any of the quests because the rewards just weren't worth it when I could just go snow bowling for 10 minutes and have more then what any quest could hope to give me.

It would be nice if the rewards were more handplaced: it seems pretty clear that this was a time/resource limitation, especially since one of the regions gives you cool memorable ways of acquiring an armor set and the other ones just stick them in shops. But the generic rewards still work for me because the point is just giving you a signpost to go do something, without making you feel compelled to do it if you don't want to. Like a dude told me to go into a coliseum and fight a Lynel, and I did that for its own sake. I don't remember what the reward was, it was probably a silver rupee. But the point was just to have a dude tell you to do a thing, and if you don't want to do the thing, you're not missing out.

Basically if you have zero motivation to do a quest because the reward sucks, then just don't do it and do one of the other things there is to do in the game. It's (probably unintentionally) meta; if the game isn't fun don't play it.

lelandjs posted:

Those are mostly subjective, though?

Like it's fine that you didn't like BotW, because tastes are subjective. But don't come out with "People ignore obvious flaws" and then list subjective poo poo. Yeah, there are issues with BotW. The grass is pretty, but the framerate suuuuuucks because of it. It doesn't have any dungeons. Those are actual issues.

You can still discuss subjective stuff though, I mean why bother if you're not going to talk about your actual experience playing it?

My Objective BotW review: The graphics are Good. The framerate is OK. The buttons work. The dungeons are Some, when past games had More. Thanks for reading.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 15, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waluigi Pinball is one of the most requested maps and I don't really remember much of it other then the giant orbs rolling around.

I kinda want that Wario Stadium from Double Dash (I think it was). Some re-mapped GBA courses would be cool too as it had a lot of bizarre out there settings that other games never dared to touch.

Airship Fortress is good as hell too.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I'm agreeing with Waluigi Pinball, but I also want Wario Colosseum from DD, Wario Stadium from 64, and maybe Dino Dino Jungle from DD? Double Dash has so many good stages, hell, bring back the DD Rainbow Road aka The Most Bullshit Rainbow Road Unless 7's Is Worse Because I Haven't Played 7 Because It Doesn't Have Waluigi Thank You For Listening.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As the resident B+ Mario Kart player, allow me to chime in:

Course 1: SNES Ghost Valley 1
Course 2: DS Waluigi Pinball
Course 3: N64 Bowser's Castle
Course 4: GCN Wario Colosseum (make it one lap)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If they put Waluigi Pinball in I wonder if it would share the same music remix as Wario Stadium. I'd also like to see Block Fort come back for battle. It's kinda weird that there's no N64 battle courses.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lelandjs posted:

Oh man I think you might have missed one of the best parts of the game.

[Edit: Did you buy the house? You reaaaaaaaally should have bought the house.]

I did everything, The house was a disappointment since you can't go wild and make a giant mansion with plenty of rooms and displays and poo poo. Also no being able to have your hoses there either Is bullshit. It was cool you did get a house though. Tarrey town was the best quest and the pay off was great, but that was the only quest I would want to do again.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I felt satisfied with Breath of the Wild even though there was so much I didn't do. I spent the first 40 hours just running whatever random way I felt like, climbing and exploring with no particular goal in mind. Eventually I decided I had had enough, did two dungeons and yesterday finally beat the game without doing the other dungeons. Not of all the content in the game appealed to me, but it didn't have to. I was very satisfied with the adventure I had.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Bring back GBA Rainbow Road the music was rad in that

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

N64 Rainbow Road should have been 2 laps

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

N64 rainbow road is bland and featureless so I don't mind. It's pretty but that's about that v:shobon:v

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I just finished the 4 Divine Beast and have a little more sidequesting I am going to do before I go finish the game, but here are my stupid opinions on BotW.

It's the first 3d Zelda I have ever liked. The exploration seems interesting and fun and the game doesn't feel like a guided sightseeing tour.

I like the shrines being short little 5-20 minute challenges. I like that there are a lot of them.

I wish that there were also traditional dungeons, maybe with the new item progression that the previous Zelda's had had.

I wish that there were unique weapons and armors that you could get. I also wish that weapons were repairable before they break, and that the broke less frequently.

I really wish that cooking would let you select what you wanted to make after you had discovered a recipe instead of making you hold items then cook them.

Basically, I have nothing to say that hasn't been said a dozen times over in this thread.

Having said all of that, I really really like the game and am actually looking forward to new Zelda games that build off of this style of game rather than the previous ones.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Well gently caress you buddy!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Takoluka posted:

I feel like the general criticisms of the DBs are justified, but the complaint about the final boss is very much up there with someone saying that an RPG's final boss is too easy because they were overleveled and overequipped for it. The game is as easy or as hard as you want it to be, and that's kinda the point, I feel.

The save system doesn't make me mind harder enemies. If you die and break all your weapons and use all your food trying to figure poo poo out, you end up returning right before the fight and have all that stuff back. Even the stuff I used after defeating Ganon was returned to me in the new save file.

I probably would have not liked a harder difficulty if it was the opposite. If you lost, you had to do the entire divine beast over again. Or you were put back into the world with all your weapons and items that you used gone. I don't mind dying a few times and trying to learn a boss pattern when the save system is forgiving and allows for it. I'd be quite frustrated with the game if it was unforgiving, and then you're like "Well, guess I gotta go back out in the world and stock up again before I try again!" The save system is one thing that the game does right.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Breath of the Wild is a fun game but tastes terrible, 2/5 stars.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Breath of the Wild is a fun game but tastes terrible, 2/5 stars.

Consequently also the success rate for getting Star Fragments

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

N64 rainbow road is bland and featureless so I don't mind. It's pretty but that's about that v:shobon:v

It's boring on the N64 version but MK8's version works so well that I wish I could play it for 3 laps. It's a joy to drift on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress new tracks, add 100lap Baby Park mode.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mega64 posted:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Same except ramp up speed to 300cc :getin:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

boycotting Mario Kart until they unlock THIcc

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mega64 posted:

And the song keeps getting faster and faster for all 100 laps.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

pissdude posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before multiple times but the thread moves too fast and I don't have search. Can you easily buy games from the Japanese shop with an American visa card?

No youll just have to buy point codes from amazon japan

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anybody planning on buying Street Fighter 2 on yet another system soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I feel like you used to be able to toggle the number of laps in old Mario kart games

• Locked thread