Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JawKnee posted:

those aren't exclusive though?

One also isn't evidence of the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Narrative wise, it's trying to be that smaller contained story like ME2. The asset reuse thing on the other hand feels far more like ME1 which was just full of side missions all set in the same loving building with a couple of boxes moved.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Didn't Gerstmann get fired from Gamespot like 10 years ago for giving Kane and Lynch a 6.0 or something?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
presumably, yeah. He denied it I think.

Serf
May 5, 2011

In the end I could see it going either way. Like lol at the idea of review scores having a huge effect on a game's sales, but also lol at the idea that a game review would cost very much to buy and marketing has more money than god already so its a wash.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Serf posted:

Didn't Gerstmann get fired from Gamespot like 10 years ago for giving Kane and Lynch a 6.0 or something?

Which is fair.

That game deserved a 2.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

You can get enough fanboys fawning over a game on youtube or on various tiny gaming sites that spending any extra money on making sure the reviews are 'good' is a waste.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serf posted:

That wasn't a paid for review though.

I doubt there are/were any mainstream press outlets outchea literally taking money for reviews.

Jeff's gamespot thing was a mix of turnover at the top of Gamespot where someone who wasn't used to that specific business took over Gamespot. They then handled the situation where they were threatened from a company poorly. Where most outlets with experienced crew at the top would have laughed in their face.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dexo posted:

That wasn't a paid for review though.

I doubt there are/were any mainstream press outlets outchea literally taking money for reviews.

Jeff's gamespot thing was a mix of turnover at the top of Gamespot where someone who wasn't used to that specific business took over Gamespot. They then handled the situation where they were threatened from a company poorly. Where most outlets with experienced crew at the top would have laughed in their face.

I could have sworn the company behind Kane and Lynch wasn't happy with the score and threatened to pull ads for their games over it. Which is I imagine how they would exert pressure over reviewers anyways. They pay for the ads that keep the sites going, and therefore can punish/reward them at will.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ashpanash posted:

You can get enough fanboys fawning over a game on youtube or on various tiny gaming sites that spending any extra money on making sure the reviews are 'good' is a waste.

That wasn't really a thing when DA2 was out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serf posted:

I could have sworn the company behind Kane and Lynch wasn't happy with the score and threatened to pull ads for their games over it. Which is I imagine how they would exert pressure over reviewers anyways. They pay for the ads that keep the sites going, and therefore can punish/reward them at will.

Yeah. But mainstream big sites like that usually don't care about those threats. Especially at that time when it was pretty much IGN/Gamespot, or if you wanted print Game Informer.

They would lose one game's advertising for the short term, but the next game they wanted pushed in front of the most eyes as possible they would come crawling back, because there were no other options.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I have gone back to playing XCOM 2, much better choice for shooting aliens

me too

it has way better mass effect than andromeda

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol yeah it's not like there's a loving check written with "90+ review score" on the info line, it's all about advertising dollars and access. There are a ton of unspoken rules and lmao if you don't understand the economics of the gaming press.

quote:

Reviews only have an impact if they're 90+, and then the impact is huge.

We don't take steps to get good reviews, we take steps to make good games. Then we invite reviews to fancy promotional events to warm them up on the game before they play it on their own.

I think of our launch parties as warm-up comedians for the main act. Warm-up comedians are there to get you laughing and excited, so when the star performer walks onstage, you're primed and ready to enjoy the set. Our promo events are the same way. We bring out media to a fancy location, wine and dine them, show them the best parts of our game, and generally build anticipation for release. The theory is that, once they get the game and play it privately, they already have a positive association with the game, which may influence their final score.

This isn't some gamer gate bullshit, those guys are morons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nowadays you don't even have to go through all the trouble of paying for dinner when you can just give a free copy of the game + pyjack plushie to some lowband streamer who will say anything you want at no additional cost.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

I mean you need an option for the cougar hunter crowd

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

I was aware of the hatred for DA2. But I didn't know about how at least some of it was due to hype backlash.

back then there was a poster on SA, snakes and cakes i think, who kept track of the media cycle just to record for posterity how bad it was, he owned almost every single press release bioware put out

exquisite tea posted:

Nowadays you don't even have to go through all the trouble of paying for dinner when you can just give a free copy of the game + pyjack plushie to some lowband streamer who will say anything you want at no additional cost.

i briefly watched a few streamers do me:a and they still could only manage cautious optimism for andromeda 2 rather than directly praise andromeda -the game they were actually playing - because of the non-stop bugs on screen, like models hovering in T-pose or enemies spawning in manpiles

i guess even streamers have their limits

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some characters in ME3 had a weird pasty look that wasn't there in ME2.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
ME1: Interesting game, inherent flaws in the combat system and inventory.
DA1: Interesting game, inherent flaws in the magic system (Combo spells that break the game.)

DA2: Interesting character friend/rival system and interesting story. Rushed, repeated environments and flaws in combat (Wave-spawn enemies)
ME2: Interesting characters and story, only minor flaws and some people crying about a humanoid reaper and the regression of all ammo in the universe.

ME3: Good game all around until the last 10% of the story that drops the ball on everything.
DA3: Overly detailed and oversized environments with nothing in them, flawed combat system, comical story. (First bioware game I couldn't complete.)

ME4: Overly detailed and oversized environments with nothing in them, flawed combat system, comical story.
DA4: ???

So far it looks like Bioware has been going downhill across the board:
-Story and Writing has suffered since DA2
-Animations have suffered since ME1
-Combat systems oscillate between good and bad.
-Environments keep getting larger and emptier
-Cost keeps going up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought DAI was a lot of fun and a really good game but I also recognized really quick that I'm not going to give a poo poo about 75% of the content.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has this game made anyone appreciate or change their opinion about ME 3? I'm about as big a fanboy as you can get for Bioware, in as much as I'll pretty much support them on anything because I've always liked their products. But now I'll be paying a lot more attention to which Bioware Studio is making the games.

On another note I recently got a copy of Game Informer and they were doing their top 100 RPGs list and they put Witcher 3 1 below Mass Effect 2, and it's one of the only times I've outloud scoffed at a list, since more are useless. My wife asked me if Witcher 3 was that good and I told her that it has almost ruined other games for me in as much as it feels unfair to compare them. I'm not even going to expect something close to what we got for Cyberpunk because the universe doesn't feel that kind.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Ok, I bought the wrong game I get it

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
ME3 was not a good game until the last 10%.

It was a really bad game except for the refined shootmans mechanics and the genophage story arc.

It started really shittily on earth and then you had dumb dream sequences and then you Pinocchio'ed the geth and then Kai Leng and holy poo poo it was terrible.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Kai Leng wasn't over the top enough. Revengeance that poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Yeah. At a time when their entire website was plastered with wall to wall Kane & Lynch ads.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I have a lifetime ban from the IGN forums for posting a scathing review of McGriddles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It was a really bad game except for the refined shootmans mechanics and the genophage story arc.

It started really shittily on earth and then you had dumb dream sequences and then you Pinocchio'ed the geth and then Kai Leng and holy poo poo it was terrible.

I liked it until the end the first time around but after replaying ME2 and going back into it wow ME3 had some real problems.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

The Dragon Age series has always had good music but Inquisition had a few standout pieces, including what I consider potentially the single greatest track in the whole series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agz8AQhfHZI
Yeah, the Solas tracks from Trespasser are probably some of the best pieces of music to come out of a video game. Imagine playing through that DLC without them, it'd be a much different experience.

DancingShade posted:

I like well written party based RPGs a lot too. The classic Ultimas, Baldur's Gate/PoE and especially how it worked in Tyranny.
I'm probably the minority here in vastly preferring voice acting to games without it. It adds so much depth to the story, especially when the actors are trying. Which most of them seem to be in Bioware's casts. Inquisition's actors gave particularly good performances.

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought DAI was a lot of fun and a really good game but I also recognized really quick that I'm not going to give a poo poo about 75% of the content.
Bioware really needs to take this as the biggest lesson from Inquisition and Andromeda. No one likes the fetch quests or the open world content. The resources put into making huge (admittedly pretty) boring zones is a waste. The zones that I remember most from either game focused on a single, tight narrative. If you have to do zones, they should be a lot more like Emprise du Lion or the Jaws of Hakkon area, and a lot less like Eos or the Hinterlands. Considering what we know about where DA4's story is probably going, that game is really going to suffer if it has too much open world meandering.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 15, 2017

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It sure was convenient that they discovered the possibility of a magic anti-Reaper button on Mars that would turn the Reapers off, the instant the reapers actually invade

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RBA Starblade posted:

This. In my three full playthroughs of Inquisition, there are some regions I never did (like Hissing Wastes beyond getting the armor recipes), and I skipped most of the side content in my second and third playthrough. The main quest is fantastic, and the game has the best companions in a modern Bioware game. There's a fantastic game underneath the pseudo MMO bullshit. Trespasser is amazing, DAI would be the game of the decade if the main game had been as good as that DLC.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Torrannor posted:

This. In my three full playthroughs of Inquisition, there are some regions I never did (like Hissing Wastes beyond getting the armor recipes), and I skipped most of the side content in my second and third playthrough. The main quest is fantastic, and the game has the best companions in a modern Bioware game. There's a fantastic game underneath the pseudo MMO bullshit. Trespasser is amazing, DAI would be the game of the decade if the main game had been as good as that DLC.

It came out in the same decade as Witcher 3 so does not compute.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Perfect Potato posted:

It sure was convenient that they discovered the possibility of a magic anti-Reaper button on Mars that would turn the Reapers off, the instant the reapers actually invade

It's funny I forgot to specify how loving dumb of an idea the crucible is

Weird that this reaper off button has survived and been incrementally improved for a bazillion cycles and passed on from dying species to new species that isn't even at the "make wheel" stage at the time, yet somehow the all powerful reaper godfish never once sniffed it out and then snuffed it out.

Comes the gently caress on. I've burned it from my memory tbqh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Reapers didn't snuff out the Crucible because they designed the Crucible themselves. It was their galactic failsafe for the Reaper AI to reconsider its programming.

The really illogical thing was how TIM somehow abducted the entire Citadel and moved it to Earth. There's no explanation for that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's funny I forgot to specify how loving dumb of an idea the crucible is

The whole thing about the current galactic epoch was that it is *strongly* hinted that it is a never-before-seen state of affairs where the civilizations had managed to work together and synthesize their best elements together rather than be some insanely powerful monociv conquering everyone. In other words, "Shepard's cycle" is truly unique even outside of the Prothean warnings.

So the idea of the Council managing to use their diversity to synthesize this historical data into a weapon - something those other monolithic conquerors could never do - is pretty thematic, even if it's logically pretty stupid. I appreciated it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The whole thing about the current galactic epoch was that it is *strongly* hinted that it is a never-before-seen state of affairs where the civilizations had managed to work together and synthesize their best elements together rather than be some insanely powerful monociv conquering everyone. In other words, "Shepard's cycle" is truly unique even outside of the Prothean warnings.

So the idea of the Council managing to use their diversity to synthesize this historical data into a weapon - something those other monolithic conquerors could never do - is pretty thematic, even if it's logically pretty stupid. I appreciated it.

That's fine. But the idea of it surviving so many cycles, as explicitly mentioned in game, is fuckin retarded.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

That's fine. But the idea of it surviving so many cycles, as explicitly mentioned in game, is fuckin retarded.

Yeah!

It's so unrealistic the magic space gods who seed the universe with a substance that can give people superpowers for millions of years didn't find the Crucible!

Flagrant break from the series's otherwise perfect commitment to plausibility and it fails to match with the Reaper's otherwise perfect cleanup record, where they left at least two of their own corpses behind.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

Kai Leng wasn't over the top enough. Revengeance that poo poo.

gently caress if he had been Sam then me3 would have been the best3

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

Bioware really needs to take this as the biggest lesson from Inquisition and Andromeda. No one likes the fetch quests or the open world content. The resources put into making huge (admittedly pretty) boring zones is a waste. The zones that I remember most from either game focused on a single, tight narrative. If you have to do zones, they should be a lot more like Emprise du Lion or the Jaws of Hakkon area, and a lot less like Eos or the Hinterlands. Considering what we know about where DA4's story is probably going, that game is really going to suffer if it has too much open world meandering.

There really isn't a Bioware anymore. Just another EA studio with the branding.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Get Platinum to put the Vanquish team back together and make the next Mass Effect.

Your character has to be a Vanguard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Get Platinum to put the Vanquish team back together and make the next Mass Effect.

Your character has to be a Vanguard.

Or... hear me out. They just make another Vanquish game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah!

It's so unrealistic the magic space gods who seed the universe with a substance that can give people superpowers for millions of years didn't find the Crucible!

Flagrant break from the series's otherwise perfect commitment to plausibility and it fails to match with the Reaper's otherwise perfect cleanup record, where they left at least two of their own corpses behind.

Lol the crucible has to survive each and every of the cycles that's been occurring since a very long time ago.

The whole plot of 3 is poo poo from a butt