Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, there's one IG story which is basically a regiment coming to investigate its own "ignore the mystery signal" message in one of the books I have floating around here. It was so good that I can remember literally nothing else about it.

Desert Raiders. It was rather unremarkable for an IG versus Tyranid story. Back when they pushed out a bunch of regiment specific books that were all kinda bland. I think the only good one from that point was 15 hours. Cadian blood might have come out at that same period as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

I think its worth considering that the imperium is so big that any kind of uniformity is basically impossible. How they react to different kinds of psykers and how they treat them, both Soric and Bryn Milo(??) got taken away by the inquisition at the end of Sabbat Martyr? Not sure it's been a while.

The former being old and powerful the latter being younger and more pliable. Maybe they just did what a heartless calculating and brutal administratum thought was the best use for them. One (assuming his time is short anyway) got sliced and dice and turned into a living weapon and they other became a grey knight? I think I read that somewhere? I've been off the paperback crack for a while.

Abnett will write what he wants and generally 40K is improved by it, Sorics death was affecting and upsetting and it really worked imo.

No the Saint ran off with Milo and you're thinking of the Ravenor books.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Moose_Knuck posted:

How does that not make sense? You said yourself the chaos gods are reflections of sentient belief. The Eldar sure as hell aren't about that life any more, so that really only leaves the Dark Eldar (and some undiscovered sentient life with ties to chaos) to feed the Ruinous Powers.

There is a shitload of sentient life in the galaxy that isn't humans or eldar, dude. The only known alien species that isn't psychically active are the Tau (well, and the necron I guess), but even larger parts of their society (ie, non Tau elements) are psychically active.

Also, to your earlier point about the chaos gods just manifesting wherever or sending in daemons whenever they want, it's basically Super Canon that Daemons and warp creatures and creations in general cannot last very long in real space unless they are specifically contained/shielded from the damage that real space does to warp matter. As much as the warp corrupts and corrodes objects and people from real space that enter it, real space erodes and destroys unprotected warp energies that exit the warp. The Chaos Gods are essentially all powerful within the warp but generally require a ritual or other source of warp energy to interact with, including psykers etc or some preexisting level of corruption. I cannot think of a single example of chaos interference not involving one of these types of conditions. The Chaos Gods summoning a warp storm in the Emperor's lab isn't just them using raw power to summon the warp out of nowhere, it's them using raw power to break through the wards surrounding the emperor's most precious creations which are at least partially beings of the warp themselves, who were potentially (probably?) made using power stolen from the Chaos Gods, in a lab that has been the site of who knows how many insane warp rituals.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Brin wasn't a psyker I thought, just lucky, and BFFs with the Saint lady

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Immanentized posted:

Brin wasn't a psyker I thought, just lucky, and BFFs with the Saint lady

We don't really know, I mean it was hinted at pretty heavily throughout the series that Milo's luck might not just be luck, but I guess that's one of the plotlines Abnett forgot about or whatever. Would be rad if we had some news about him in Warmaster

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I always read it as Brin being a latent psyker, and that he was special in some way.

Also, yes I remember the kid from Ravenor went off to be a grey knight. Which is a weird random character to pick up and write about but I guess it got past the editors.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

I always read it as Brin being a latent psyker, and that he was special in some way.

Also, yes I remember the kid from Ravenor went off to be a grey knight. Which is a weird random character to pick up and write about but I guess it got past the editors.

Different writers. It was a homage.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The grey knight guy is from another Abnett series of books (vague for spoilers and I can't remember his name anyway).

Milo just goes off and never comes back.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Libluini posted:

2) Sending a psionic message into the brain or something equally weird, I suppose. And I guess the third question is easily answered by handlers being expendable. Just throw them away if the psyker gains control over them.

That makes complete sense. It's easy to forget how brutal the 40k universe can be at times.

hopterque posted:

Also, to your earlier point about the chaos gods just manifesting wherever or sending in daemons whenever they want, it's basically Super Canon that Daemons and warp creatures and creations in general cannot last very long in real space unless they are specifically contained/shielded from the damage that real space does to warp matter. As much as the warp corrupts and corrodes objects and people from real space that enter it, real space erodes and destroys unprotected warp energies that exit the warp. The Chaos Gods are essentially all powerful within the warp but generally require a ritual or other source of warp energy to interact with, including psykers etc or some preexisting level of corruption. I cannot think of a single example of chaos interference not involving one of these types of conditions. The Chaos Gods summoning a warp storm in the Emperor's lab isn't just them using raw power to summon the warp out of nowhere, it's them using raw power to break through the wards surrounding the emperor's most precious creations which are at least partially beings of the warp themselves, who were potentially (probably?) made using power stolen from the Chaos Gods, in a lab that has been the site of who knows how many insane warp rituals.

This I can get behind. The only problem I have with this is the containing/shielding part. What is stopping the chaos gods (besides their own nature) from setting up a daemon factory in the Eye of Terror using Chaos Marines to perform the shielding rituals?

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

hopterque posted:

There is a shitload of sentient life in the galaxy that isn't humans or eldar, dude. The only known alien species that isn't psychically active are the Tau (well, and the necron I guess), but even larger parts of their society (ie, non Tau elements) are psychically active.

I am aware that there is tons of sentient life in the galaxy, I'm not disputing that. What I'm disputing is how much a non-believer's actions/intents actually contribute to the Chaos Gods power. I thought it was generally accepted that without followers the Chaos Gods would essentially be starved?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Someone asked about the Blood Bowl shorts a while back: I've read Manglers Never Lose, Da Bank Job, and The Skeleton Key. All are pretty good, and certainly better than the last few of the previous BB novel series. I'd say that if you're a Blood Bowl fan, these are probably worth picking up, assuming you don't mind the fact that you're paying $5 each for a fairly short story.

The Skeleton Key had a pretty funny moment in it where (seriously, do not read this if you plan on reading the story!!!)Ramtut of the Champions of Death and one of the Bright Crusader players go through a malfunctioning teleport portal during a Dungeon Bowl, and wind up getting transported to a place that is all "war, war, war." Ramtut looks up and is shocked to see a "flying black pyramid," as well as giant "god-statues" decimating the millions of soldiers on the ground. He thinks how awesome it would be to stay in this realm and do an eternity of battle, when he notices some four armed indigo monsters scuttling up to him and the other player. The creature leaps at them, narrowly missing, but flying into the portal with the ball. Comic violence ensues as a genestealer runs through a dungeon, killing Blood Bowl players.

Yeah. It's pretty great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kopijeger posted:

It seems that Dan Abnett invents stuff for the purpose of his stories that has no basis in other fluff. The ill-defined psyker power scale is one, but also things like Eldar-made necklaces that hide the fact that the wearer is a blank or the way they treated Soric. Sanctioned psykers are typically depicted as akin to battlefield wizards, guys in robes or greatcoats that carry a special staff to focus their power and that fling spells at the opponent. Soric, on the other hand, had his eyes and mouth sewn shut, ears sheared off and fitted with bulky implants to boost his power. Then they kept him in a cage where he was left to stew in his own filth, his body being emaciated and covered in sores when Harkin laid eyes on him. It was supposed to be tragic, I suppose, but it made no sense for them to treat him that way.

Everything I've read with sanctioned psykers in IG units has everybody loving hating and distrusting them. The commanders waiting for any excuse to put them down, the Guardsmen hoping that he gets that excuse, and the psyker convinced he'll deserve it when it happens

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

New Space Marines. Don't like it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Meridian posted:

New Space Marines. Don't like it.

Is there any more fluff behind this or do we just know they exist at this point?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Telsa Cola posted:

Is there any more fluff behind this or do we just know they exist at this point?

Roboute has been building them for the past 10k years. They've been in cryo for about that long.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

I am at work on mobile so I can't dig up the link, but they are "improved" space marines created over 10k years by that Cawl guy and they have a new mk. Power armor and bolter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Roboute has been building them for the past 10k years. They've been in cryo for about that long.

Must be hard building them for 10k years if girlyman has been in stasis for that long.

That being said the new Primaris Space Marine models look fantastic especially after that ugly rear end Rowboat update model. And they have even bigger Boltguns which is hilarious. They are still bulky but they remind me a bit of Iron Man if he held a big loving gun.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 15, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So wait he has been off making his own marines and ignoring everything that has been going on since the Heresy? I mean seems like he could have been doing something a bit more productive with his time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Zil posted:

So wait he has been off making his own marines and ignoring everything that has been going on since the Heresy? I mean seems like he could have been doing something a bit more productive with his time.

No. He was in stasis.

The Tech Priest, I have no idea.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zil posted:

Guilliman ordered Cawl to come up with new Marines, but then Guilliman was mortally wounded and put in stasis. Cawl developed the new marines over the past ten thousand years, and now that Guilliman's back he gave him the go ahead to start producing them

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Source
It was a project commissioned before the Heresy by Gulliman, and was put on hold when the HH started. Cawl's been tweaking it over the millennia, and now that RG is back, they're being unleashed. Some chapters love them, some hate them, some are being used to restock chapters that are extinct/on the verge.

Part of the blame for this, I feel, goes on the people that have been calling for "truescale Marines" over the years and bitching about the size disparity between models.

That being said, they are going to look badass as vanilla Marines next to IG or whatever in SWA.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Must be hard building them for 10k years if girlyman has been in stasis for that long.

It's impossible, because you can't upgrade what's already perfect!

(cues incesant chanting https://clyp.it/wwz5lxn2) The Ultramarines always deliver!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I gotta say I don't like that at all and will selectively ignore that part of the setting, as is tradition.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Eh this is the logical conclusion of all the projects that went on in the setting to make new space marines. It fits with what we know even before they started the new edition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apart from the usual "ancient is better" overuse that bugs me about 40k, I like these nu marines because they are a genuinely NEW development to the setting rather than retroactively shoehorning junk like the Centurions into marine armies and pretending they were totes always there. Division and debate between old guard marines and their superior successors sounds brilliant

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 15, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Ok that makes a bit more sense, I thought it was a case of him faking being in stasis and working on the SMs.

Is there anything that talks about how they differ or is it just a case of them having better equip and hopefully less defects?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zil posted:

Ok that makes a bit more sense, I thought it was a case of him faking being in stasis and working on the SMs.

Is there anything that talks about how they differ or is it just a case of them having better equip and hopefully less defects?

Not much, just some vague details about their geneseed being improved/fixed versions of the original Loyalist stock and them generally being a mid-way point between Marines and Custodes in terms of strength, reflexes, gear etc.

They're an interesting idea with a bit of potential I hope doesn't go to waste.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say there is huge potential in a force of superhumans with no culture beyond their initial chapter conditioning being thrust into current 40k only knowing that they must kill, put up against their weaker brethren who have thousands of years of deviation and tradition. This is fertile grounds for a writer like ADB.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Source
It was a project commissioned before the Heresy by Gulliman, and was put on hold when the HH started. Cawl's been tweaking it over the millennia, and now that RG is back, they're being unleashed. Some chapters love them, some hate them, some are being used to restock chapters that are extinct/on the verge.

Part of the blame for this, I feel, goes on the people that have been calling for "truescale Marines" over the years and bitching about the size disparity between models.

That being said, they are going to look badass as vanilla Marines next to IG or whatever in SWA.

say what you will (it's dumb) the new space marines and their models actually look really good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as dumb 40k ideas go, nu marines are nowhere near as bad as some of the nonsense that came out during the 5th-6th editions. Nu marines are your basic dumb 40k development and one that doesn't bother me at all.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I actually love the models, but I think the fluff is silly; Primaris Marines just seem to be what regular Marines were always supposed to be. :/

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I mean, I like they are moving the fluff forwards alot. But...I don't think I want to get back in. Are the models still stupid loving expensive, and the rules stupidly broken?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

DirtyRobot posted:

I actually love the models, but I think the fluff is silly; Primaris Marines just seem to be what regular Marines were always supposed to be. :/

So another Istavaan/drop site event coming up?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I actually really like the idea that for the 10,000 years of hell since the Heresy the Imperium has had the means to win but didn't know it because of a combination of bureaucracy and Cawl having TO keep upgrading his memory HDD. If the Primaris Marines had been activated during the Harrowing the traitor legions would have been wiped out. If they had activated at almost any time in the following thousands of years they would have turned the tide.

However the empire has deteriorated to the point where they now just represent a hope of holding out for a while longer. That's 40k as gently caress.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

The other thing I wonder are there going to be Primaris Grey Knights? Seems king of the thing they would be interested in, what with the need to be the best at everything.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Apparently the Tau are now going to be called the T'au, since GW can't copyright the Greek letter.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A better solution would be a warp rift opening up right in the middle of T'au S'pace and e'rasing them from the setting completely.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Hustlin Floh posted:

A better solution would be a warp rift opening up right in the middle of T'au S'pace and e'rasing them from the setting completely.

Yes, but we cant have nice things because we like warhammer.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wonder if the Bigmarines can be corrupted, lore-wise, or if they have some Grey Knight bullshit field that makes them purer than pure.

Also, it's kinda funny that everyone in the setting thought Fabius Bile was nuts for wanting to mess with geneseed and now the Imperium pulls it off without a hitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Presumably they will be corruptible. But even the original marines had a few decades before Lorgar went crazy, it would be hilarious if there were Chaos Primaris Marines like, a week after they were made