Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Educated guessing here, but I would thing the reason it took a year is as follows:

1. Investigate that this was an accident and not arson (1-4 weeks)
2. Identify everything that was contaminated: Carpet? Subfloor? Walls? Furniture? Drop-ceiling tiles? Framework for said tiles? Any overhead infrastructure, like air ducts or wiring or whathaveyou? (Two-four weeks, depending on testing, labwork, et cetera)
3. Formulate a plan to remediate the contamination (1-4 weeks)
4. Get the plan signed off by the client, the subcontractors who will actually do the work, and any of half a dozen local, state, and federal agencies (2-8 weeks)
5. Actually remediate the problem (4-16 weeks)
6. Retest everything to verify there's no further contamination (2-4 weeks)
7. Restore the building to usable office functionality (2-4 weeks)
8. Argue with insurance companies: Yours, landlord's, manufacturer's (∞ weeks)

A year seems long, but not out of the realm of likeliness for what amounts to an unexpected chemical fire and associated cleanup.

this is pretty much dead bang on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

sneakyfrog posted:

this is pretty much dead bang on.

If anything, I'm probably underestimating how much time was spent arguing with the insurance companies.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If anything, I'm probably underestimating how much time was spent arguing with the insurance companies.

also truth, some things have yet to be resolved MUCH later.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

That sounds familiar, ha. I was mainly curious about the hazardous bits since i figured there have to be at least some relatively bad ones for the cleanup to be such a hassle. I guess i need a vacation because assuming that any given IT/business process has a specific purpose or mechanisms to prevent terrible trainwrecks gets proven wrong spectacularly at some point.

Actually i just got out of one such mess a week ago, a bit bigger than small <100 user IT but appropriate. I completed an 8 month journey through red tape, proposals and change boards, sanity checks and whatnot because 'I' 'wanted' 4x1 TB of empty unformatted disks, each attached as a mountpoint to a particular server in an Exchange cluster hosting 16 identical ones already. It's not like working 'with' agile/scrum/itil/voodoo/... Is new to me either. I know gets work done and who i should avoid. Unsuccessful this time,I think two external companies (not counting my own) were involved in that one, + the client of course. Maybe they called Microsoft at some point as well to give their OK on attaching​ a new mount point from a storage array doing not very much to a bunch of servers that happen to be low on database space. Don't remember exactly any more but probably this simple request slipped right out of my control because i shot the storage guys an email right before my vacation mentioning extra disk space in the close future so I wouldn't catch them by surprise. Rookie mistake, the wrong guy read it, misunderstood, sent it to the wrong manager who did the same and there you are. The client's doing good so the next cluster will probably need extra disks too very soon.

Good lord

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so. just installed a bunch of ubiquiti APs

:aaaaa:

are their switches any good?

what about the rest of the kit?

soo drat easy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The APs are OK, their point-to-point wireless is really good. The other stuff is a bit 'meh', I don't get the hype that people get wrapped in and try and build their entire network using kit from a single vendor.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thanks Ants posted:

The APs are OK, their point-to-point wireless is really good. The other stuff is a bit 'meh', I don't get the hype that people get wrapped in and try and build their entire network using kit from a single vendor.

its more remote sites, drat that poo poo just worked.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Same here. The management stuff is actually not that easy to deal with in my opinion.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Their UniFi switches are pretty much the same thing as the APs and are managed using the same configurations. Easy and carefree if the features match what you need. I would still stick a high grade edge device between the security gateway and the internet, but if all you're doing is running gigabit endpoints and you don't need a layer 3 switch, they'll do fine. For the price they're at they're great.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yospos saved me

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 11, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That firewall is definitely in the wrong place and should be in between the router and the switch. One reason for having a separate switch for the phones could be PoE-capabilities.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

sneakyfrog posted:

so. just installed a bunch of ubiquiti APs

:aaaaa:

are their switches any good?

what about the rest of the kit?

soo drat easy

The APs and controller are pretty great, I set those up both at my workplace and at home, and it's done a great job handling thousands of unique wireless clients every day at work.

For home though, I went all out and got the USG gateway router, and I'm kinda meh on it. It's starting to get more features like better dhcp controllability, but I'm still very much a fan of Adtran equipment for enterprise use. Rock Solid, no lovely perpetual licensing and bullshit like Costco, and the AOS command line interface is well documented and almost identical to Cisco CLI. Plus, I love that I can configure VLANs, port mappings, UDP relay, trace mac addresses to specific ports, etc etc etc real easily on the Adtran web interface or ssh CLI, and their L3 stitches like the 1638 handle routing. I might be able to do similar stuff with the unifi gui, but I'm just not sold on that being able to do everything you need for a business.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I wonder if I can use these WannaCrypt shenanigans to leverage some funding to upgrade our stuff and get some licensing in... haha what am I thinking they won't care.

I'm pretty tired of being hamstrung having a Hyper-V host with only OEM licensing for two VMs, when I want to expand by creating things like a Certificate Authority server and also setting up Azure AD Connect, not to mention putting an end to running every core service on a single VM.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Super Slash posted:

I wonder if I can use these WannaCrypt shenanigans to leverage some funding to upgrade our stuff and get some licensing in... haha what am I thinking they won't care.

I'm pretty tired of being hamstrung having a Hyper-V host with only OEM licensing for two VMs, when I want to expand by creating things like a Certificate Authority server and also setting up Azure AD Connect, not to mention putting an end to running every core service on a single VM.

If you don't have any money, but want to do these things consider Linux for your CA, for example.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Super Slash posted:

say something about "geographic redundancy" and "slashing capex", get a couple of vms on azure and do it there. Why buy servers? You're already on o365 so just add the $50/mo to that.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 15, 2017

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Why buy servers? You're already on o365 so just add the $50/mo to that.
To be honest I need to look more into using hosted stuff, mostly I just want to not have a single VM acting as DC/AD/DHCP/DNS/File Server/Exchange Server/WSUS/RDS License server all in one.

Also I was asked to help out with some CRM integration stuff and found out apparently we're paying for Hubspot.com enterprise marketing to the tune of £2500 plus extras per month for like three people, they better share the loving wealth. I also pretty much had to poo poo the whole thing because it has a cap of 10,000 leads you can have lest you pay per hundred more, add another zero on the end then you're a bit closer to the amount of lead data we actually have. I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination but poo poo dude find out the drat restrictions before throwing down money on cloud products.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

To be honest I need to look more into using hosted stuff, mostly I just want to not have a single VM acting as DC/AD/DHCP/DNS/File Server/Exchange Server/WSUS/RDS License server all in one.

Also I was asked to help out with some CRM integration stuff and found out apparently we're paying for Hubspot.com enterprise marketing to the tune of £2500 plus extras per month for like three people, they better share the loving wealth. I also pretty much had to poo poo the whole thing because it has a cap of 10,000 leads you can have lest you pay per hundred more, add another zero on the end then you're a bit closer to the amount of lead data we actually have. I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination but poo poo dude find out the drat restrictions before throwing down money on cloud products.

If you think you can get the budget approved still it's often easier to ask for datacenter than 3 copies of server 2016 for your 6 VMs. With datacenter you might find you do actually want 10 VMs because you want to divide stuff up even more and have 1 service per VM because you can.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

christ friend talk about all the eggs in a scary basket of hahah gently caress no.

also holy crap dude, full enterprise salesforce is way less then that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Super Slash posted:

How the gently caress do you have 10,000 leads for 3 people

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Thanks Ants posted:

lol I hope your clear time for a lead is under a minute or you are gonna have a bad time.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

sneakyfrog posted:

christ friend talk about all the eggs in a scary basket of hahah gently caress no.

also holy crap dude, full enterprise salesforce is way less then that.
See I already knew we were using Hubspot as I pitched in with little bits here and there but this was for the el cheapo version. While I was with the guys who wanted help I browsed through some settings and went to have a look at what add-ons we can get and happened upon the enterprise license discovery, I almost spat out my tea and turned to the guy managing asking when the holy gently caress did this happen!

I've also been eyeing up bagging a Datacenter licence because this is dumb.

Thanks Ants posted:

See that's just the cap I discovered and these people only use Hubspot to automate the management of Leads for the telemarketing team in Salesforce. The actual data we're sitting on in Salesforce is 300,000 leads, a lot of which is loving old but upper management don't want it deleting :shrug:

The girl managing this before who left months ago and myself both agreed it was garbage for a number of reasons and told marketing management to bin it off ages ago, welp

EDIT: I wish I never gained any knowledge of CRMs or proven myself the least bit competent, I hate this crap and just want to stick regular IT :(

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

See I already knew we were using Hubspot as I pitched in with little bits here and there but this was for the el cheapo version. While I was with the guys who wanted help I browsed through some settings and went to have a look at what add-ons we can get and happened upon the enterprise license discovery, I almost spat out my tea and turned to the guy managing asking when the holy gently caress did this happen!

I've also been eyeing up bagging a Datacenter licence because this is dumb.

See that's just the cap I discovered and these people only use Hubspot to automate the management of Leads for the telemarketing team in Salesforce. The actual data we're sitting on in Salesforce is 300,000 leads, a lot of which is loving old but upper management don't want it deleting :shrug:

The girl managing this before who left months ago and myself both agreed it was garbage for a number of reasons and told marketing management to bin it off ages ago, welp

EDIT: I wish I never gained any knowledge of CRMs or proven myself the least bit competent, I hate this crap and just want to stick regular IT :(

Crm Can be $$$$$ from an integrator perspective, and from a business perspective is a great tool for making $$ and finding the weak spots in your pipeline and sales team if used even slightly competently.

or, in the case of fuckers who want to sit on lol 300000 leads, yeah. I know i like being called back after 6 months when i want to purchase goods or services.

lol is the sales pipeline like years long?

tell them they need an address book and a plan, because holy poo poo right there is a useless money hemorrhage.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Haha sales pipeline that whole department is a joke, they only recently got a manager who is a bit of a hard rear end and knows her poo poo who flipped out when she found they all just hoarded their own Excel sheets instead of using their CRM.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg for problems but ultimately boils down to piss poor management, hence I try to keep my distance.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ugh.

I wont even waste my time on CRM for shops like that. Watching a well-setup database slowly get useless from typos, bad info, duplicates and lack of adoption is something i cant even stand watching or putting in any more effort than just setting up anymore.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Hi folks,

So, My PBX system is lame and old. It isnt tied into my crm and erp and doesnt have all the gee whizz bang features that get me easy raises. Anyone have opinions on Digium, Asterisk or any sip type PBX systems good or bad?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

Hi folks,

So, My PBX system is lame and old. It isnt tied into my crm and erp and doesnt have all the gee whizz bang features that get me easy raises. Anyone have opinions on Digium, Asterisk or any sip type PBX systems good or bad?

There's a VoIP thread that's pretty slow but has a few people who work in VoIP, myself included. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771561

I've supported Broadsoft and two flavors of both Asterisk and Freeswitch, with active customers on both Asterisk and Freeswitch still. I think FreePBX using their packaged distro is the best way to do a DIY PBX, but think long and hard before you do this. If the phones go down do you want it to be your responsibility? Are you ready to have a new set of security concerns?

Like running an email server it's relatively easy until things go wrong, then it can be very "fun", especially if people are up your rear end about their phones not working.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Most places I work with are moving towards shoretel sky, 8x8, ringcentral, or skype for business. I don't love any of these systems but is doing asterisk on prem really the solution?

I miss pots lines

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I miss pots lines
Now there's a thing you don't hear often.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There's two pots lines left in my environment and both are fax machines.

I've had enough hell with the fax machine + ATA + SIP trunk combo that I'm okay with still having them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Largest customer is hopefully just going to do away with landlines altogether.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wolrah posted:

There's a VoIP thread that's pretty slow but has a few people who work in VoIP, myself included. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771561

I've supported Broadsoft and two flavors of both Asterisk and Freeswitch, with active customers on both Asterisk and Freeswitch still. I think FreePBX using their packaged distro is the best way to do a DIY PBX, but think long and hard before you do this. If the phones go down do you want it to be your responsibility? Are you ready to have a new set of security concerns?

Like running an email server it's relatively easy until things go wrong, then it can be very "fun", especially if people are up your rear end about their phones not working.

Ah thank you. We currently run VOIP on premise already into a lovely nortel PBX, so the phone system on site isnt anything new, its just clunky old and inflexible. Was mainly looking into something that integrated with salesforce nicely without having to become an expert in phone network design. oh and LOL yeah fax machines.. yep we got those.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

There's two pots lines left in my environment and both are fax machines.

I've had enough hell with the fax machine + ATA + SIP trunk combo that I'm okay with still having them.
To be fair the core problem here is the fax.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We moved to Jive and are surprisingly happy with them. 8x8 was not very good. The audio quality was especially bad for our office in Europe.

E: the app on iPhone really really sucks though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I feel like I am the only person to have not jumped on the VoIP bandwagon...

Most of our branch locations and corp office still have plain old analog phone systems (Avaya Partner). Even our new branches ended up with a IP Office 500 in "Basic/Partner" mode and digital phones, not IP. And all use POTS lines. They all just work. No problems with audio, or delay, never have to be rebooted, and require minimum configuration.

With the way we use phones, I've just not seen any benefits to going VoIP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best phone system is one that isn't your responsibility.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
At my work I set up a virtualized PBX - first with Elastix 4.0, and now with FreePBX. It has been absolutely bulletproof for the past 12 months, we're saving $1200 a year on phone service, and FreePBX is scary-looking enough to the layperson that I, being the most tech-inclined person at my non-profit now have another layer of job security.

Edit: we also do fax over IP, and it's passably reliable, though I think the unreliability is due to a lovely ATA more than anything else.

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

Hi folks,

I spent a lot of time doing research and comparing platforms before pulling the trigger.
3cx is what I use. It works well and is simple to configure and maintain. Phone provisioning is a breeze and the iOS app works great.
I have had zero problems.

I would recommend giving it a spin. You can get an evaluation copy and test drive it. The rollout of this system was much easier than other systems I have deployed.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

How is a document transferred via fax different than a document scanned and transferred via email? Is there some legal requirement to use a fax machine, is hitting the scan button on the MFC too confusing, or is there something else at play here? It's hard to imagine that in 2017 there's an organization which doesn't have email, and faxing isn't any more private, especially when transmitted over IP.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SamDabbers posted:

How is a document transferred via fax different than a document scanned and transferred via email? Is there some legal requirement to use a fax machine, is hitting the scan button on the MFC too confusing, or is there something else at play here? It's hard to imagine that in 2017 there's an organization which doesn't have email, and faxing isn't any more private, especially when transmitted over IP.

Yes, fax is technically worse than email for a number of reasons. I could intercept and modify a fax with nothing more than a laptop and a cheap ATA. Properly signed/encrypted email is exponentially better for anything requiring security. Unfortunately there are decades of regulations and legal precedents around faxed documents. In certain industries it's safer to stick with the known rather than trying something new where you might be the ones having to set the precedent.

Everywhere else, yeah, it's just useless olds who refuse to learn how to do a new thing. They know how to fax and they don't want to know anything more.

There is no technical reason for people to use faxes anymore, only stupid people and non-technical bullshit.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bobfather posted:

and FreePBX is scary-looking enough to the layperson that I, being the most tech-inclined person at my non-profit now have another layer of job security.

This is one of the most disgusting justifications for rolling out a technology that I have ever heard.