Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Who cares whether or not its unanimous or first ballot or whatever. There will always be people with bad opinions who make stupid votes; there's tons of people casting ballots. Inevitably one or two of them will either forget because they're 90 years old, or be stupid or make up some other justification like the player isn't as good as their favorite when they were a kid and he wasn't unanimous so this guy can't be either! It doesn't make that person any less in the hall of fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Personally I think it's time to let Shoeless Joe Jackson into the Hall.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ego symphonic posted:

Inevitably one or two of them will either forget because they're 90 years old,

These guys are mostly going away, finally. Other than the ones who are actively covering the sport. So at least there's that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

These guys are mostly going away, finally. Other than the ones who are actively covering the sport. So at least there's that.

There is still at least one guy who submits a blank ballot because "journalists shouldn't make the news" or something equally as stupid and self-aggrandizing. So there still won't be unanimous votes for a while.

The 10-vote limit also means it likely won't happen, either.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think unanimous voting will happen a lot more now that the votes will be public. When Griffey was inducted there were three voters that didn't vote for him, but no one ever admitted who it was.

e: that's not to say that Chipper will be unanimous, just a general statement. I think he gets the 75% easy though.
They also changed the rules about who was eligible to vote before Griffey was eligible, getting rid of the long retired writers (more than 100 votes in the process), and he was considerably closer to being unanimous than anybody before then. For comparison, Maddux was left off 16 ballots 2 years before, so they got rid of 13 of the 16 people who won't let anyone go unanimous.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

I think he probably will be, but who knows. He definitely gets in at some point no matter what though. I'm more worried about Rolen because

I look at Rolen, Edmonds and Pujols and it's a loving crime that lineup only won one series on a bullshit 83-win season. Also, Edmonds deserved more than a one-and-done.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 15, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I mean, when's the last time you have ever seen 11 straight years of absolute dominance that wasn't Barry Bonds. Pujols first 11 years were absolutely insane. Trout is doing it right now but still needs to do it for 6 more years. Seriously, Pujols placed top 5 MVP 10 of the 11 years. Winning it 3 times and placing second 4 times.

Depending on your definition of complete dominance, Miguel Cabrera.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Scott Rolen is one of those guys that was introduced as "future hall of famer" for like the last 5 years of his career but then when it comes time to vote for him a bunch of senile old dudes won't remember who exactly he was, exactly.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pancakes posted:

I look at Rolen, Edmonds and Pujols and it's a loving crime that lineup only won one series on a bullshit 83-win season. Also, Edmonds deserved more than a one-and-done.

Wasn't there some thing where La Russa didn't like Rolen for some incredibly dumb reason? What was up with that?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Depending on your definition of complete dominance, Miguel Cabrera.

Correct, and Pujols did everything better by a decent amount.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bewbies posted:

Scott Rolen is one of those guys that was introduced as "future hall of famer" for like the last 5 years of his career but then when it comes time to vote for him a bunch of senile old dudes won't remember who exactly he was, exactly.

I will never forget Scott Rolen pissing me off endlessly for vacuuming up every single ball hit in the general direction of 3rd base when he was a Cardinal. So gently caress him, but I would probably vote for him just for that.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Kirios posted:

Personally I think it's time to let Shoeless Joe Jackson into the Hall.

Well, he was no Ray Schalk... but perhaps you're right.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Wasn't there some thing where La Russa didn't like Rolen for some incredibly dumb reason? What was up with that?

La Russa thought his shoulder problems were bullshit and that Rolen wasn't tough.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
La Russa's the most overrated manager in MLB history.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

El Gallinero Gros posted:

La Russa's the most overrated manager in MLB history.

yes, but would he have batted Jeter second?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Obviously Barry should have been unanimous (and in the HoF already), but roids. Unanimous will never happen though because people are stupid. Pujols should absolutely be unanimous, as well as the other people mentioned so far.

Almost like my point is the player has to be in contention for single greatest player of all time hands down no questions no qualifiers to be unanimous

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Poque posted:

yes, but would he have batted Jeter second?

Depends if he found him as attractive as he found So Taguchi, I guess.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Spoeank posted:

Almost like my point is the player has to be in contention for single greatest player of all time hands down no questions no qualifiers to be unanimous

Almost like you have a bad point :shrug:

Unanimous is dumb because stubborn dumb writers are dumb and bad. It really means nothing, as long as you get in. But lol at dumb stubborn writers not voting for someone for the sanctity of unanimity or whatever bullshit they want to make up.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 15, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cito was cooler that Tony La Russa and loved to talk poo poo about him which is why Cito is the best.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Cito was cooler that Tony La Russa and loved to talk poo poo about him which is why Cito is the best.

It's interesting you mentioned Cito because to me Tony is bascially a white Cito, did well when handed vet-laden teams with talent bursting at the seams, so-so when expected to develop players.

Although I'm sure Cito takes credit for Alomar turning into the beast that he did.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I mentioned Cito because he wasn't afraid to call bullshit on the racist things that happen in baseball which pretty much kept him from getting a job outside Toronto yet noted alcoholic rear end in a top hat garbage person Tony La Russa keeps getting hired because reasons.

And because he liked talking poo poo about La Russa and calling attention to that double standard.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ichiro will probably be unanimous.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/864212920208699393
Francona is such an rear end in a top hat :allears:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Almost like you have a bad point :shrug:

Unanimous is dumb because stubborn dumb writers are dumb and bad. It really means nothing, as long as you get in. But lol at dumb stubborn writers not voting for someone for the sanctity of unanimity or whatever bullshit they want to make up.

this is literally my point

nobody has been unanimous yet. the longer people aren't unanimous, the harder it gets. Mike Trout is the only person who may break through and be unanimous because he might literally be the best player of all time.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Matheny has good opinions and makes valid points, makes Maddon seem crotchety, old and dumb (in my opinion).

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...15140b6b50.html

V: I don't care if it's just on one issue. I'm scared, somebody hold me.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was going with more along the lines of who should be, in a normal sane persons mindset. Of course nobody will be, the people voting for this are idiots who need to preserve the holiness of unanimity. Arguably the second greatest first baseman of all time SHOULD be unanimous. He will get like 90% though.

Pancakes posted:

N: Matheny has good opinions and makes valid points, makes Maddon seem crotchety, old and dumb (in my opinion).

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...15140b6b50.html

V: I don't care if it's just on one issue. I'm scared, somebody hold me.

I read this earlier, please turn this into a clickbait article titles "Mike Matheny Totally Eviscerates Joe Maddon." Funny how the manager of a team that broke two legs has this "man up" opinion about the pansy slide rules.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 15, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Spoeank posted:

nobody has been unanimous yet. the longer people aren't unanimous, the harder it gets. Mike Trout is the only person who may break through and be unanimous because he might literally be the best player of all time.

Even if he continues with 10 or 15 more years of his current slash line, if he stays with the Angels and retires with only 1 or 0 world series wins, I bet he wouldn't get in unanimously (because narrative)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I was going with more along the lines of who should be, in a normal sane persons mindset. Of course nobody will be, the people voting for this are idiots who need to preserve the holiness of unanimity. Arguably the second greatest first baseman of all time SHOULD be unanimous. He will get like 90% though.

That'd be a somewhat interesting thing to figure out. All of the hall of famers (and there are at least a bunch) who should have been unanimously elected.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I read this earlier, please turn this into a clickbait article titles "Mike Matheny Totally Eviscerates Joe Maddon." Funny how the manager of a team that broke two legs has this "man up" opinion about the pansy slide rules.

"Mike Matheny tackles Joe Maddon (rhetorically), gives him concussion (metaphorically)"

"Mike Matheny sweeps the legs out from under Joe Maddon's bullshit"

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Griffey was closer than anyone and had no arguments for best player of all time. Still a very high bar to get over but then maybe Griffey with a ring or Griffey but a little healthier would've broken that line.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Local city news site compares their teams response to that of rivals after call negatively impacts them.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

Local city news site compares their teams response to that of rivals after call negatively impacts them.

Yea but it's an actual good opinion from Mike Matheny, which is taking everyone by surprise, because his opinions and thoughts are usually poo poo. I too would like to have my best players on the field every day and fully appreciate the pansy rule which may help that happen by preventing morons from sliding at peoples kneecaps.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Matheny might want to have a chat with Fowler then.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

He did. It says that in the article I linked to.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

Pancakes posted:

He did. It says that in the article I linked to.

SAS poster of rival team whose manager made dumb comments replies about an article they haven't read.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 15, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Good job Mike Matheny!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Good job Mike Matheny!

:glomp:SAS posters are much better at reasonable discussion than most sports sites. Film at 11.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Is it just me, or is it weird to say "x best SS by WAR all-time" and, along the same lines "x best 1B all-time"? In the first case, WAR is already making a positional adjustment, so the dWAR accumulated by these players is suppose to close the gap on the hitter-oriented positions. Jeter was really the 58th best player all-time by WAR, and that should be it (which is still really good). It's a redundant qualifier, right? Catchers sort of disprove my point, though.

In the latter case, we all recognize 1B as a place to stash offense, so when you call Pujols the 2nd greatest 1B all-time, what kind of praise is that really? Is the 2nd best DH all-time something to celebrate (beyond their awesome offensive contributions, of course)? A hypothetical Pujols who managed to play OF competently enough to keep his WAR the exact same wouldn't be as high on the all-time LF position list, but would have played a position that people generally see as more valuable. It's a silly quibble, but I'm more curious if I'm overlooking something or it's really just a weird thing we do because we like to categorize.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Cubs and Cardinals fans deserve each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

• Locked thread