Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just spam magic blink and GG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yeah it was a group that had asylum, keepers tome, and weaponmaster that was able to do it for me

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Amazingly, I have Asylum, Wall, AND Weaponmaster, and there were still groups booting me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i thought most maxHP/curHP attacks were resisted by KO resist

That's for stuff that has a chance of hitting, like how other death spells or gravity spells have a 60% chance to hit or whatever other kinda numbers. Ultimate Mega Death just automatically hits because gently caress you.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
oh well my trinkets were useless then but I took it upon myself to bring the vessel of fate/wall/mblink/full break/mnd+atk+mag breakdowns and was able to do it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That's for stuff that has a chance of hitting, like how other death spells or gravity spells have a 60% chance to hit or whatever other kinda numbers. Ultimate Mega Death just automatically hits because gently caress you.

Finally a reason to hone Arise.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I'm stuck on this crazy triple-Aeon fight. I knew they were upping the difficulty, but good grief! I've got Yuna with her BSB2, Onion Knight+BSB, Vanille+BSB, Fuijin w/ BSB and Hope with BSB (I'd rather bring Ashe, who has her BSB AND OSB, but freaking Ixion absorbs Lightning). The slow from Valefort is surprisingly obnoxious, Ifrit isn't TOO bad, and then Ixion is just like a freight train. He did Ultimate Thor's Hammer four times in a row, and for some reason the second time it did TRIPLE the damage it did the other four times. What the hell?

I feel like I'm fighting Mote Ifrit all over again.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I'm stuck on this crazy triple-Aeon fight. I knew they were upping the difficulty, but good grief! I've got Yuna with her BSB2, Onion Knight+BSB, Vanille+BSB, Fuijin w/ BSB and Hope with BSB (I'd rather bring Ashe, who has her BSB AND OSB, but freaking Ixion absorbs Lightning). The slow from Valefort is surprisingly obnoxious, Ifrit isn't TOO bad, and then Ixion is just like a freight train. He did Ultimate Thor's Hammer four times in a row, and for some reason the second time it did TRIPLE the damage it did the other four times. What the hell?

Try RW'ing a USB that gives status blink - Tyro and Vanille are good choices - and drop one of Yuna or Vanille for a Full breakdown or Pentabreak SB if you've got one (or just more aggressive Breakdown stacking in general if you don't.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

This fight is deceptively long. It's entirely possible that breaks/breakdowns wore off in the middle of that string of AoE spam, and equally possible that Wall wore off in that timeframe.

For the record, the team I used to clear it:
  • Vaan (w/BSB, Mug Bloodlust/Lifesiphon)
  • Ramza (w/Shout, Power Breakdown/Full Break)
  • Celes (w/BSB, Engulfing Twinstrike/Snowstorm Strike for medals)
  • Relm (w/BSB, Curaja/Shellga, spent most of the fight spamming BSB command 1)
  • Tyro (w/BSB, Lifesiphon/Affliction Break)

If you bring the actual spell Haste, then Affliction Break is less necessary since with enough rushdown Valefor won't last long enough to slow you multiple times. The plan was to equip the team to resist Lightning (or Lightning/Fire if possible, Necrophobe Ward + Gigas Armlets) and then just stack as many debuffs as possible while cycling Keeper's Tome at the end to keep Proshellga/MBlink up.

Oh, and an important note: if you have Celes with her BSB, the Enholy boost she'll default to neutral holy element instead of slight weakness fire/ice unless you have a +fire or +ice piece of equipment. This is Kind Of A Big Problem for several reasons, one being that her commands become useless for hitting mastery requirements, and the other being that it means she gets even less gauge than usual since the game registers it as neutral. It's happened to me twice now: once on the FF5 Pigs torment, and again now on the Aeon fight.

EDIT: Slight correction, looks like there's no extra +holy damage on her sphere grid, so it's just defaulting to enelement in "enelement vs slight weakness" situations, also meaning this is something people should watch out for elsewhere.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 15, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, and an important note: if you have Celes with her BSB, the Enholy boost she'll default to neutral holy element instead of slight weakness fire/ice unless you have a +fire or +ice piece of equipment. This is Kind Of A Big Problem for several reasons, one being that her commands become useless for hitting mastery requirements, and the other being that it means she gets even less gauge than usual since the game registers it as neutral. It's happened to me twice now: once on the FF5 Pigs torment, and again now on the Aeon fight.

EDIT: Slight correction, looks like there's no extra +holy damage on her sphere grid, so it's just defaulting to enelement in "enelement vs slight weakness" situations, also meaning this is something people should watch out for elsewhere.

True for soul gauge but not for mastery IIRC; it doesn't matter what kind of damage registers so long as the game is checking the math for the target element, you'll get credit.

(This can also burn you for, say, a fire weak boss with a NO EARTH condition - Meltdown will fail it.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

For the record, the team I used to clear it:
  • Vaan (w/BSB, Mug Bloodlust/Lifesiphon)
  • Ramza (w/Shout, Power Breakdown/Full Break)
  • Celes (w/BSB, Engulfing Twinstrike/Snowstorm Strike for medals)
  • Relm (w/BSB, Curaja/Shellga, spent most of the fight spamming BSB command 1)
  • Tyro (w/BSB, Lifesiphon/Affliction Break)

This is almost exactly the same party I had for mastering it, except I had Butz instead of Vaan for extra DPS.

Relm's BSB is pretty dang good.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

This is almost exactly the same party I had for mastering it, except I had Butz instead of Vaan for extra DPS.

Relm's BSB is pretty dang good.

Unless Sap's a problem.

gently caress MP Yunalesca, by the way.

CaptainPsyko posted:

True for soul gauge but not for mastery IIRC; it doesn't matter what kind of damage registers so long as the game is checking the math for the target element, you'll get credit.

I'm not sure. I remember missing mastery on the three little pigs because of that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man, everything about this event is brutal as hell. The MP, the CM, the U++...

Is this how hard everything is going to be now? I am completely stacked with crazy good relics and it's all still a challenge, I can't even imagine someone who is new-ish to this game or kinda unlucky with their pulls being able to handle this event

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man, everything about this event is brutal as hell. The MP, the CM, the U++...

Is this how hard everything is going to be now? I am completely stacked with crazy good relics and it's all still a challenge, I can't even imagine someone who is new-ish to this game or kinda unlucky with their pulls being able to handle this event

I think I read that they weren't sure what they were doing yet so the first few events in this new step up of difficulty are just insanely brutal. I don't know if that's true or not though or if it stays this way or what. Cause that was way harder than I thought it would be. But thankfully I own Tidus' Apocalypse so I was able to slide by.

Next week's multiplayer is apparently CAGNAZZO. Please no! If it's anything like this one my streak of soloing the MP bosses will be over.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I am so tired of Cagnazzo.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
So when I beat the 140 sand worm I got a full on wind crystal from the death drop. Aside from the regular victory rewards.

Is that repeatable?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
At like a 4-5% chance, yes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Has anyone solo'd Yunalesca at 160, and is it feasible when most of your party is Holy-focused and you have to scramble to create a completely different party

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Huh, I think I've suddenly reached the point where this game doesn't hold my interest anymore. Events are a chore to go through, we fight the same bosses over and over, and there's no real point to honing abilities because BSBs rule the day. What am I even shooting for anymore? :shrug:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Alxprit posted:

Has anyone solo'd Yunalesca at 160, and is it feasible when most of your party is Holy-focused and you have to scramble to create a completely different party
Yes, no

It's an extremely rude fight to solo and you really have to have your poo poo in order, but it's very possible, especially if you can spam mblink and water damage.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Chair In A Basket posted:

So when I beat the 140 sand worm I got a full on wind crystal from the death drop. Aside from the regular victory rewards.

Is that repeatable?

From what I understand, the type of crystal that drops is always the same for that particular event boss, so if you're gonna go nuts farming, wait for when it's one of the types you need.

Otherwise, enjoy the occasional bonus. I think I've gotten two crystal drops since they became a thing.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

Huh, I think I've suddenly reached the point where this game doesn't hold my interest anymore. Events are a chore to go through, we fight the same bosses over and over, and there's no real point to honing abilities because BSBs rule the day. What am I even shooting for anymore? :shrug:

People have been saying that the meta will shift again and USBs + well-honed skills become king, which sounds good to me, even as someone with a ton of good BSBs and a chronic fear of actually using my supply of orbs.

Definitely hope the events ease up a bit though, I'd rather they not become endurance events, though I guess the fear is that making them trivially easy makes people bored.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The first two to three Apocalpyse+ event bosses are brutal (next week's made me rage so hard in JP) but they ease up after that. Until FF12, anyway, because gently caress FF12 bosses.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They do it every time, but Yunalesca absorbing holy elemental attacks will never not bother me. The level curve in X meant that she was often the first real opportunity to actually cast Holy and it shone in that fight.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Yes, no

It's an extremely rude fight to solo and you really have to have your poo poo in order, but it's very possible, especially if you can spam mblink and water damage.

Cool, I won't be doing it then.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Thanks for the advice on the Aeon fight. I went with Tidus /OSB, TG Cid/BSB & OSB, Ramza/Shout, Relm/BSB and Tyrol/BSB. Ramza took Affliction Break, which helped a lot with slow. Going physical had a lot more DPS than my mage team, which surprised me. TG Cid's insane OSB helped a lot. Mblink, Last Stand and some tight timing on Tidus's OSB were the only reasons I survived Ixion, there was no way I could've tanked that much damage. I would simply not have been able to do that fight without Relm, Last Stand is incredible. That instant Curaja on her cmd1 is really nice too.
I have lifesiphon at r5, r4 and r3, mostly for trying to solo stuff with Galuf, but fights like this, I don't regret those hones, because the battle just kept going and going.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Phew. Cleared A+. My team:
Y'shtola wrath ultracure BSB/wall (Dr mog)
Vanille shellga curaja BSB (knights charge)
Tyro wrath fullbreak USB (acestriker)
Alphinaud Leviathan blizzaja BSB/SSB (Dr mog)
Fujin wrath protectga (battle forged)
RW: Lulu triple threat

It actually wasn't too bad took three tries. Should've done it on my second try but I forgot to re-up wall with like 10% to go on Ixion and Thor's hammer dropped like 7k damage per character.

MVP was probably​ deployment tactics. Key strategy was getting through Valefor using as little as possible, saving my RW for Ifrit while building up a poo poo ton of SBs. With basic buffs, Ifrit goes down pretty easy.

With Ixion, it was mostly important to have at least a few charges of transcendent dream, wall, and Apocrypha ready to go at any time. Alphinaud just spammed the Lulu BSB cmd2 and Fujin pretty much just stuck to debuff and occasionally using protectga. By the time I ran out of the RW, deployment tactics carried the rest of the way and Ixion killed himself.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Arc SSB2 is getting a ton of play for Yunalesca with the broken Mega Death obviously, but it's a godsend for the Aeons fight, too. Even with my largely bad X synergy, dodging Valefor's AOE slow and both of Ixion's Ultimate Aero Sparks with the physical blink was enough to get over the hump.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I was able to solo Yunalesca 220, because I had Energy Rain on Tidus and pretty much did all my damage through that. I used Faris, Ramza and Tyro as my other non healers. Everyone was just support and a battery for tidus to hit his OSB over and over. The second part of that fight you wanna get out of quick, adn that's when I used Keeper's Tome so it could block Mega Death. But it honestly wasn't hard at all with that setup.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
I just mastered the Aeon's battle by the skin of my teeth. I used

Y'shtola - curaja / shellga (bsb/wall)
Relm - Ultra cure / shiva just for requirements (BSB)
Ramza - magic breakdown / full breakdown (Shout)
Zell - lifesiphon (BSB)
Tidus - lifesiphon / power chain (OSB only)

RW: SG

I had originally tried with lightning resist accessories but the slows just messed me up too badly so I came back with slow resist accessories. This made phase 1 a lot easier but I took the beating of my life in P3 with multiple members of the team dieng multiple times but being saved by last stand. MVP was definitely Tidus blowing 3 OSB's on Ixion for 90K+ each time to get us where we needed to go.

Really brutal fight overall.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Howdy posted:

Arc SSB2 is getting a ton of play for Yunalesca with the broken Mega Death obviously, but it's a godsend for the Aeons fight, too. Even with my largely bad X synergy, dodging Valefor's AOE slow and both of Ixion's Ultimate Aero Sparks with the physical blink was enough to get over the hump.

Similarly, Edge ssb was unbelievably good in that fight. Haste to remove valefor slows, blink to dodge nasty aoes with side effects (I think ixion's has a dispel kicker). And having a character at 100 hp eat an attack for 3k and live with last stand feels goooood.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Man, not having shout blows for this Aeon fight, but I think I've almost got it down. Ixion seriously doesn't play around. I'm pretty sure that the breather of the fight is Ifrit because he doesnt seem to do very meaningful anything.

Ingus is starting to feel like the real star of the Valefor fight because tauntaliate does work on Sonic Wind, so you can dodge the slows and eventually dodge the rest after you activate your BSB.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

way to go steve posted:

Similarly, Edge ssb was unbelievably good in that fight. Haste to remove valefor slows, blink to dodge nasty aoes with side effects (I think ixion's has a dispel kicker). And having a character at 100 hp eat an attack for 3k and live with last stand feels goooood.

I have edge ssb I just hate that there's no good way to get him meter.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Combo posted:

He can hit weaknesses at ninja speed which is not bad at all.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Combo posted:

You can do what that one reddit dude did and hone two R5 Quick Hits. :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Combo posted:

This is my problem with Celes. Everything she does is so good, but she's violently allergic to actually building up gauge.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

This is my problem with Celes. Everything she does is so good, but she's violently allergic to actually building up gauge.

She can literally hit every weakness in the game.

And unlike Edge, there's no real incentive to spam her soulbreaks other than the damage they do. The buffs she distributes last more than long enough to refresh regularly.

The only time where you really want to be hitting Lifesiphon/wrath for nonstop soulbreaks rather than exploiting is when you have something like a blink that you want to keep refreshing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

also in the future, Celes LMII is just, she builds more meter when hitting weakness. With Imperils (native or RW) she can hit weakness against like 99% of bosses*.

*not that this is always practical

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

LornMarkus posted:

You can do what that one reddit dude did and hone two R5 Quick Hits. :getin:

Yeah I saw that guy too, that's a poo poo ton of wind orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Celes can't hit dark weakness, or am I forgetting something?

• Locked thread