Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

his nibs posted:

but who recaps the mocap?

Chris Roberts. Again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Virtual Captain posted:

:eyepop: brb pledging now!

I'd like to thank everyone for all the fantastic work we have done here in our hive of villany.

So far we have:

- Delayed the game by several years
- Made Chris Roberts endlessly shoot motion capture
- Made CIG steal artwork, repeatedly
- Fed Chris bogus release dates and forced him to promise major patches by the end of the year
- Stole CIGs logins and increased ship prices by 400% minutes before they went live
- Made Christ Roberts an amnesiac and completely unfamiliar or able to play his own game
- Made CIG have endless concept sales that make no sense
- Wrote a cartoonishly evil TOS and forced CIG to use it
- Made up a huge list of outrageous promises that will never be delivered and made it look like CIG were the ones doing it
- Prepared decades in advance by making Chris Roberts have a proven track record of over promising and under delivering
- Made the PU buggy and unplayable for more than a few mins
- Made any work to the PU be bad, take forever, and solve nothing
- Tricked CIG into talking about features and gameplay then forcing them to walk back on what they promised
- Brainwashed RSI mods into banning backers and ingraining the admins with a martial law mentality
- Hacked into CIGs site and turned on cash only discounts
- Produced hundreds of hours of embarassing, bad, stammering, idiotic, uninformative, outright misinformation in the form of videos where we pretended to be them with Mission Impossible level disguises that we then host on CIGs own website
- Bought out an entire company just for a 'spectrum' joke
- Closed the RSI forums
- Made CIG legally obligated to include Star Kitten in the final product
- Tricked Chris into thinking a referral contest was a brilliant idea

These among other things are no fault of CIGs and are in fact the work of us under the command of Derek Smart o7//

CIG should have known better than trying to foil our master plan to make Star Citizen into Eve2.0 seeing as CCP isn't up to it. But citizens found out too early, and now we follow our savior and Warlord Derek Smart that we may fudsmite them for their autdacity to defy us

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

If initializing variables makes a notable contribution to your runtime, you are doing things wrong.

i<80 takes 2 seconds? Are you running this on a Magnavox Odyssey?

He ran the examples like a billion times so that they took 2 seconds.

In any case, leaving the variables not-initialized is a recipe for fantastic bugs way down the line unless you're very careful. Better optimize some other part of the code, like, I dunno, having the netcode send hundreds of time more data than it should.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Posting on page 1138

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

yup, romance scenes are in according to that leaked script from ages ago

Dick physics confirmed.

That's why some of Johns math was failing. He didn't have enough data for the penis physics package. It's a big package.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

his nibs posted:

Star Citizen isn't coming out as pitched.

There, I said it.

Let the downvotes commence :colbert:

Moved to concern

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheAgent posted:

Is it cuckoldry if I press X to kiss the tickle fetish #actress on the mouth? I want to make sure my $10,000 "package" pays for itself.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Moved to concern

Willing to comment on Pixelemonade's lack of original content outside of Star Citizen puff pieces?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

Dick physics confirmed.

That's why some of Johns math was failing. He didn't have enough data for the penis physics package. It's a big package.

Dick physics. By CIG. What could go wrong?

The gifs will be incredible. Devs of Goat Simulator and Octodad will cry at their lack of comedy-physics-fidelity.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Quavers posted:

Dick physics. By CIG. What could go wrong?

The gifs will be incredible. Devs of Goat Simulator and Octodad will cry at their lack of comedy-physics-fidelity.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Dick physics confirmed.

Conan Exiles finally makes mainstream impact.

TheAgent rejoices.

Edit: vvv Now that's comedy.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 15, 2017

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/864227865117773825

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaerael posted:

Willing to comment on Pixelemonade's lack of original content outside of Star Citizen puff pieces?

It's likely a shill site.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

Interesting to see that Pixelemonade has not had one single new entry after Jan 21, 2017.

http://www.pixelemonade.com/

Likewise for their social media presence where the claim of 15K followers is off by just under 15,000.

Nothing since January 21st.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

#drrdrrdrr

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Whoa boy I haven't paid attention to this game or thread for months, I bet a lot of good work has been done and Star Citizen is finally showing some promise!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

:chanpop:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if you gave $150 million dollars to anyone else in the world and told them to build a good space sim what are the chances they'd have gotten further along than chris roberts

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Chris Roberts turns his gaze upon you!
Your body twists and deforms!
Space suits fit poorly or your strangely shaped body.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if you gave $150 million dollars to anyone else in the world and told them to build a good space sim what are the chances they'd have gotten further along than chris roberts

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jonny Nox posted:

Hold on.

What?!!!????
Mae is use to walking on a set and getting naked pretty quick....

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Let's keep this above board...

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ManofManyAliases posted:

Spending crowd funding on paid shills: A completely normal and defensible practice that everyone does, probably

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Daztek posted:

the game will magically appear when the counter reaches 150m

Colostomy Bag posted:

It will be like the giant ball drop on New Years Eve.

There will be a countdown to a giant switch being flipped :toot:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Good thing no one officially affiliated with the company was promoting it or anything, that would have been a bad look.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you gave $150 million dollars to anybody else in the world, and they used $50m to build a game studio and hire Chris Roberts (plus a proven project-lead) to make the game you would undoubtedly be further along.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 15, 2017

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

BMan posted:

Spending crowd funding on paid shills: A completely normal and defensible practice that everyone does, probably

Hold up, let's not toss out baseless accusations; it's just as likely to be a close-knit cabal of overzealous fans spending their own time, money and energy on this astroturfing campaign out of love for all the enjoyment they've gotten from playing Star Citizen.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

well odds are those people wouldn't be doing all the mocap poo poo so like close to 100%

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I would pocket 50 million through a series of dodgy Cayman Island bank accounts, hire a bunch of ambitious young buck developers (with a few vets to manage) and give them another 50 million. I'm sure they could do a halfway decent job with such funding.

The last 50 million I would blow on an advertising blitz to convince nerds that we are Kings of Hot poo poo Island.

I would repeat this cycle every 7 years, and die of a heart attack at the age of 47 due to a life of wanton debauchery.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Let's keep this above board...

Post the doggo or this gets ugly

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Moved to concern

[LAUNCHER 2.5.1] MUSIC PLAYBACK SPEED SLOWER THAN SOURCE FILES

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Open launcher
2 Listen to music
3 Compare to source file

ACTUAL RESULT
The launcher appears to be playing 48kHz source files at 44.1kHz sample rate. This effectively slows the music by 8.125%.

Confirmed using Audacity.
Opened source file, changed it's sample rate to 44.1kHz then recorded the audio from the launcher to verify the playback rate was the same.

EXPECTED RESULT
The launcher music should play at the sample rate of the source files.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

If the whole Star Citizen project has simply been a way for Chris Roberts to spend time around a naked Gillian Anderson, I have a new respect for the man.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

If the whole Star Citizen project has simply been a way for Chris Roberts to spend time around a naked Gillian Anderson, I have a new respect for the man.

No one said it was a romance scene with a female. Crobberts has to one up every other space game out there

Couldn't you have virtual sex with an alien in mass effect ?

Well prepare for the greatest space game ever , where you can have virtual sex with yourself

Oooh. Aaahhh.

Shame the controller deal with mad catz fell through

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Post the doggo or this gets ugly

They pretend not to like each other when I'm around, but apparently as soon as I'm gone it's nothing but snugs

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

:eyepop: brb pledging now!

I'd like to thank everyone for all the fantastic work we have done here in our hive of villany.

So far we have:

- Delayed the game by several years
Game is better because they have more time to work on it. Endlessly
- Made Chris Roberts endlessly shoot motion capture
Motion capture is what makes a game great. The more of it, the better it is. This is a fact
- Made CIG steal artwork, repeatedly
CIG is licensing out THEIR art to these sites, getting more money for their kindness
- Fed Chris bogus release dates and forced him to promise major patches by the end of the year
Chris is just so optimistic it's cute. He's our little darling and can't fail! He can only be failed by others less talented than him by their inability to keep up with his expectations
- Stole CIGs logins and increased ship prices by 400% minutes before they went live
This is because the value increased because they realized the ship they are about to sell really is just The Best Ship
- Made Christ Roberts an amnesiac and completely unfamiliar or able to play his own game
He spends all day coding so because words game play words truth words because
- Made CIG have endless concept sales that make no sense
Each sale fills a necessary role already in play by the galactic simulator running the economy as we speak
- Wrote a cartoonishly evil TOS and forced CIG to use it
The tos is iron clad and CIG is just nice by letting people out of it
- Made up a huge list of outrageous promises that will never be delivered and made it look like CIG were the ones doing it
Each promised feature is coming because Chris said so
- Prepared decades in advance by making Chris Roberts have a proven track record of over promising and under delivering
Patience is needed for this kind of technology the whole world is begging CIG for
- Made the PU buggy and unplayable for more than a few mins
Thousands play it daily
- Made any work to the PU be bad, take forever, and solve nothing
Perfection takes time
- Tricked CIG into talking about features and gameplay then forcing them to walk back on what they promised
These promises only got better as time went on because CIG got better
- Brainwashed RSI mods into banning backers and ingraining the admins with a martial law mentality
Marketing can't be stopped because a community just wants to bitch and moan
- Hacked into CIGs site and turned on cash only discounts
If you can't afford it don't buy it
- Produced hundreds of hours of embarassing, bad, stammering, idiotic, uninformative, outright misinformation in the form of videos where we pretended to be them with Mission Impossible level disguises that we then host on CIGs own website
Over 300 employees can't be wrong
- Bought out an entire company just for a 'spectrum' joke
Spectrum is the future
- Closed the RSI forums
This was always planned
- Made CIG legally obligated to include Star Kitten in the final product
Hello Kitty is paying CIG for the honor of being in the game
- Tricked Chris into thinking a referral contest was a brilliant idea
Ive already got 1000 friends to play right now because of it. I don't think you know what you're talking about

These among other things are no fault of CIGs and are in fact the work of us under the command of Derek Smart o7//

I'd like to just halt this FUD here.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Will Chris Roberts ever find out that, in fact, it was me that kept deleting all his mocap footage?

You should be getting paid highly then, because any opportunity for more motion capture is why Chris Roberts makes these video GameCube CDs for the kids and Awesome Hollywood.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

[LAUNCHER 2.5.1] MUSIC PLAYBACK SPEED SLOWER THAN SOURCE FILES

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Open launcher
2 Listen to music
3 Compare to source file

ACTUAL RESULT
The launcher appears to be playing 48kHz source files at 44.1kHz sample rate. This effectively slows the music by 8.125%.

Confirmed using Audacity.
Opened source file, changed it's sample rate to 44.1kHz then recorded the audio from the launcher to verify the playback rate was the same.

EXPECTED RESULT
The launcher music should play at the sample rate of the source files.

This guy knows how to write a bug report CIG will take care of asap! Expect at least 4 paragraphs about this fix in the next 30gb patch.

Also probably a YouTube video with green screen developers "investigating" this huge bug for like 12 weeks. It's gonna delay 3.0 and bump some expected features, but it's worth it. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/864185416232177664

Well, they've given croberts more of the worst news ever. He can't have "seamless" space<->planet transitions because the engine can't do it. I had reported before that 3.0 (which now has moons, not planets) was just another level (like the current ones) in which they place the moon object in the scene like a station.

Who remembers this? FF to 12:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezrghcBRcSk&t=12m48s
10 for the Chairman: Episode 70, Nov 16, 2015

quote:

We don’t have planetary landing we have landings on various space stations then we have three main space stations and six or seven communication satellites scattered around the Crusade gas giant. We’re not going to have the planetary landings this year. It will be next year. It will definitely be like the CitizenCon we saw in 2014 but probably much better.

This is what he was saying it would better than.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gx-3iwXvoQ
Star Citizen CitizenCon 2014 Persistent Universe Demo, Oct 13, 2014

And this the R&D tech demo from CitizenCon 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCFTF8j7yI
Star Citizen: Procedural Planets v2, Oct 11, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/12grru/i_am_chris_roberts_creator_of_wing_commander/c6uxth9/, Chris Roberts Reddit AMA, Nov 1st, 2012

quote:

"You wont be able to seamlessly land on a planet from free flight (but we will have a nice in engine cinematic that feels fairly seamless).
Planets are really your "save" points and where you go to trade, upgrade your ship and get missions / hear gossip of profitable trade runs or pirating opportunities
"

Word is they still can't do seamless anything.

What is this "seamless transition" nonsense anyway?

- start off in your wan...erm, space pod
- requisition your space chariot
- enter space chariot
- plot a course for the moon|planet you see in the map
- jump/fly to spherical object representing the moon|planet
- fly ahead as you enter the sphere, you breach the atmosphere and enter the moon|planet. no cut scene
- land space chariot, exit. do stuff
- to leave, enter space chariot, go vertical, reach escape velocity, breach atmosphere, end up in space

To see this in action:

- watch any movie from ED; though they only have some moons and planetoids which you can land on
- watch any movie from Battlespace Infinity (it took them forever to get it done right btw)
- watch any movie from Universal Combat. Though I cheat somewhat by using an external camera transition when the moon|planet gravity grabs the ship

To have a truly seamless transition, you need a scene manager that is capable of handling not just the objects (planets, moons, stations, players, asteroid fields etc) in the space but also stuff inside them. In the case of stations, those are the internal hand-crafted levels; which is how you can land your chariot at a station, then enter it in fps.

Even though they've been touting "procedural planets" since last year, and then changed it to moons for 3.0, they are only apparently able to add moon/asteroid objects in the scene like they do stations. This will allow you to land on them like you would a station.

Apparently what you saw at CitizenCon 2016, even though they've come out and said it was R&D anyway, isn't actually working for a production client/server build. That's why they switched to moons since they are smaller, mostly rock, don't need that much detail to look interesting etc. Basically, they're doing what ED, LoD, COD:IW, ME:A et al are doing. Except that ED doesn't yet have space legs. And even they are having problems ranging from collision detect (you can fall right through the world) issues, popping, bland assets - and nothing to do. Yet, they are saying all of this is coming in mid July. Why it's not surprising that they've starting cutting stuff from 3.0 and deferring it. Which is not an issue in itself, since that happens all the time. The issue is that, once again, it's mid-2017 by the time 3.0 comes out, and sources are saying it's not going to be much progress; and certainly not what backers are thinking is coming.

I wrote this missive back in Feb this year. ALL THE PROCEDURAL PLANETS PROMISES TO DATE

Line Of Defense does not have seamless space<->planetary transitions because 1) the bases on the planets are all handcrafted 2) they needed to be separate so that our networking tech can better handle "per scene" updates, and thus be able to handle a large number of players. Mass Effect: Adromeda also does it this way.

Remember this nonsense?

Chris Roberts on Star Citizen's Procedural Planets, Alpha 3.0, & CitizenCon, September 24, 2016

Chris Roberts on Character Tech, Weather System, & Engine Architecture, September 24, 2016

Roberts: Star Citizen Is Now ‘Best drat Everything Simulation, Sep 27, 2016

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 16, 2017