Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mr E posted:

I did the sidequest where you help the two Resistance members escape and the ending was a thing :stonk:.

That was my reaction to half of the sidequests.

The other half were :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That was my reaction to half of the sidequests.

The other half were :smith:

Yeah I did Emil's memories and it was very sad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr E posted:

I did the sidequest where you help the two Resistance members escape and the ending was a thing :stonk:.

Do the treasure hunt in the forest one next!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can I still get the FAR fan patch anywhere? All the links to the steam community page just redirect to the main steam forums.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it on the subreddit sticky.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 16, 2017

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Holy poo poo the beginning of Route

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tarezax posted:

I saw people go through the whole goddamn game not knowing they could use the right stick to aim while in shooting segments and hacking.

There are forward shooting segments and all-range shooting segments, but there's no excuse for hacking.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

...! posted:

You can still swing your melee weapon. In fact, your melee weapon tends to make things super easy because it has a surprisingly long reach, swings in a very large arc, does much more damage than your pod fire, and destroys most enemy projectiles.

Yes! Though if you take damage, you can't attack for awhile and things can get ugly quickly. Also, if you get underleveled so you can't one-shot the trash flier guys, it starts to suuuck.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sax Solo posted:

Yes! Though if you take damage, you can't attack for awhile and things can get ugly quickly. Also, if you get underleveled so you can't one-shot the trash flier guys, it starts to suuuck.

The trash flier guys scale to your level, though?

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

The trash flier guys scale to your level, though?

I thought there was scaling, but with a floor? TBH the scaling in different parts of the game confuses me. On the main story path, I suddenly stopped being able to one-shot fliers I think at Grun route B. Maybe it's my bad chipset, or just that no scaling algorithm's going to be perfect anyway.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ugh, why am I so bad at this game? Does anyone have any advice for dealing with the spinny worm things with weak spots that spawn right by the big hole in the ground? I can't seem to time hitting them with either the basic short or long sword and apparently I'm terrible at using the laser beam (either locked on or not...) so I just run away.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do a dodge, and then use the pod counter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Ugh, why am I so bad at this game? Does anyone have any advice for dealing with the spinny worm things with weak spots that spawn right by the big hole in the ground? I can't seem to time hitting them with either the basic short or long sword and apparently I'm terrible at using the laser beam (either locked on or not...) so I just run away.

They're just awful. Use the gatling locked on while keeping your distance and pod laser.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The thing that I said will one-shot them.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Seafood posted:

I listened to that earlier this morning but hadn't noticed the preview image was a tomato.

Actually the preview image is of Emil... as a tomato.

I'm actually kinda surprised he doesn't really touch on the ideas of sacrifice the game toys around with, since that fits in perfectly with the narrative or people working themselves to death for little compensation and is also part of the reason the ending where you delete your save file so somebody else can beat the game resonates so much better than the first game's where you delete your save file to get the best ending for your game.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You can strafe and lock on.

gently caress

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

SatansBestBuddy posted:

the ending where you delete your save file so somebody else can beat the game resonates so much better than the first game's where you delete your save file to get the best ending for your game.

I highly disagree with this notion because the Ending D of the first Nier is such a personal conclusion to Nier's (the character's) arc while the Automata equivalent exists almost solely for the player. It never felt like a choice of "huh I guess I gotta do this to get all the endings" for me but instead of the player being put into Nier's shoes as having come so far but facing that letting go will be for the best of everyone. You don't have to get Ending D and I don't see it as the best ending because it's still one that leads to a lot of terrible things. If you feel what you worked for is more important you should just pick Ending C which is what Nier chooses on similar grounds.

To me synchronizing the player's motivation with the main character's made it have incredible impact. Ending E of Automata didn't leave me with the same weighty "this is the period, the absolute end" realization the original did because the ending is so meta and detached from the characters even though it does have some in-universe justification. And ultimately the sacrifice is optional and nebulous when it comes to whether it actually matters since there are certainly non-player helpers

Nina fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 16, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Snak posted:

Do a dodge, and then use the pod counter.

Synthbuttrange posted:

They're just awful. Use the gatling locked on while keeping your distance and pod laser.

Thanks, I'll try these suggestions. I'm really bad at the timing on counter-dodges as opposed to just dodges, so if I can improve there that'll help.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Avoid them entirely.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, they're not worth melee fighting more than once (to gain their lore entry).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a couple of points in PlatinumGames games where they forget that they're actually good at making games. When they're making tutorials is one where they always forget to make a good game and for NieR: A, it was when they were making the snake enemies and the first boss of C route.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I self-destructed while 2B was wearing the Kaine outfit

what even is holding her clothes up at that point

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The CEOs were actually super fun to fight. It was actually thrilling going in a bit underleveled even though chain dodging kinda trivialized it in the end

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the first boss of C route.

The centipede thing in the desert? I burned a lot of consumables on that one because it can swiftly get out of control.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That awful piece of game design, yes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

The centipede thing in the desert? I burned a lot of consumables on that one because it can swiftly get out of control.

I need to activate B-mode! *dies instantly*

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr E posted:

I need to activate B-mode! *dies instantly*

This is fully intentional. Remember, A2's whole quest is about her regaining her humanity and learning to trust and rely on others again. Berserker Mode is what she activates when she wants to become a one woman army, because she's scared of forming a bond with others again, only to lose them. 042 explicitly tells her several times at the start of the fight, "You shouldn't activate Berserker Mode. Let's work together to defeat Hegel instead," which she tries to furiously brush off - but 042 is correct, which is the lead in to her slowly emerging from her self-imposed isolation.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Vermain posted:

This is fully intentional. Remember, A2's whole quest is about her regaining her humanity and learning to trust and rely on others again. 042 explicitly tells her several times at the start of the fight, "You shouldn't activate Berserker Mode. Let's work together to defeat Hegel instead," which she tries to furiously brush off - but 042 is correct, which is the lead in to her slowly emerging from her self-imposed isolation.

I agree but that doesn't make the fight any less poo poo even without Berserker mode.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr E posted:

I agree but that doesn't make the fight any less poo poo even without Berserker mode.

I think the fight could've been improved if only a few of the balls dropped down at a time. As it stands, it's too hard to really do anything except slam the dodge button to avoid the massive amount of beam spam that covers your screen.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Using B mode in that fight isn't too bad if you equip an Auto Use Item chip. Really the problem with that fight is clarity. Zoom the screen out a bit and there wouldn't have been an issue.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I played on normal mode and thought the game was pretty easy, hacking bits included. I probably cheesed too much with defensive and healing chips, though. The Pod laser program rips through stuff.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The main complaint that most players seem to have with NieR:A is that Normal is too easy and Hard is too difficult. The game's dumb level scaling is a big chunk of the problem.

NieR could have implemented a Soulsborne-style focus on improving weapons for damage scaling. It even seems that weapon upgrades were meant to have more of an impact on gameplay, since the hidden blacksmith is required to max out equipment. Damage is ultimately tied to your current level instead.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The game grazes good difficulty balance around the Route A final boss if you haven't majorly overleveled and then just goes off the rails. I actually feel the game shouldn't even have the leveling system in place.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Vermain posted:

This is fully intentional. Remember, A2's whole quest is about her regaining her humanity and learning to trust and rely on others again. Berserker Mode is what she activates when she wants to become a one woman army, because she's scared of forming a bond with others again, only to lose them. 042 explicitly tells her several times at the start of the fight, "You shouldn't activate Berserker Mode. Let's work together to defeat Hegel instead," which she tries to furiously brush off - but 042 is correct, which is the lead in to her slowly emerging from her self-imposed isolation.

That's a cute explanation, but that doesn't change the fact that it's bad game design. The game introduced a new mechanic; every player is going to try out that new mechanic, especially when the character they're controlling is telling them to use it.

If the designers wanted to have the impact you describe, they should have introduced the mechanic earlier and highlighted its danger then. That way, when the pod says "this is a bad time to activate danger mode," the player could make an informed decision about whether the current, extremely dangerous boss required the risk.

Besides, in plenty of games, cartoons, kung-fu movies, and other media, a character saying "you can't use that technique; it's too dangerous" is code for "this is gonna be super cool, just you watch." I'm all for trope subversions, especially in a Yoko Taro game, but not when it has a negative impact on gameplay.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Noper Q posted:

I'm all for trope subversions, especially in a Yoko Taro game, but not when it has a negative impact on gameplay.

So not like a fair chunk of every other game he's made???

I played through that boss twice, once with B-mode and several healing chips, and I didn't really have much of a problem with it. I feel like the key is to use the pod when it's in the air, then B it up on the ground. If you run out and go into the staggering cooldown, it's probably going to be when it's in the air and easier to avoid anyway.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's just a sloppily designed boss. Whether using berserker mode during it is intentionally detrimental or not doesn't change that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hegel sucks why would you defend the worst part of the game by far.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hegel is the return of trolled by cavia and before anyone says taro is brilliant how meta no it's just a poo poo fight

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Nina posted:

The game grazes good difficulty balance around the Route A final boss if you haven't majorly overleveled and then just goes off the rails. I actually feel the game shouldn't even have the leveling system in place.

I had trouble with an early boss (the opera singer) and went off and got massively overleveled, weapon upgraded and chip fused -- like, to the tune of twelve hours' worth of sidequests and wandering. It was fun, but the difficulty of the rest of the game was quite uneven. I never even found the master swordsman until after finishing E.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Noper Q posted:

That's a cute explanation, but that doesn't change the fact that it's bad game design. The game introduced a new mechanic; every player is going to try out that new mechanic, especially when the character they're controlling is telling them to use it.

Sure, but if they're awake and not completely retarded they'll notice that it isn't helping very much and turn it off inside a few seconds. Hegel's not a great boss but it's not like it's particularly difficult or that introducing berserk mode there is the problem with it, it's just not very engaging to fight and the visibility issues are kind of annoying. The berserk mode thing is a net plus because at least it is funny.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there's plenty of really good subtleties and jokes in the game as is, you don't need to go making new ones up to excuse a kinda crappy boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Welp the big story hook from Taro's questions got explained in supplementary material. I guess it was too much to hope for more in-game story content.

Not gonna lie Automata relies on out of game material way more than Taro's other games and I have mixed feelings about it.