Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, you better believe there are brand new O's who use it to buy half of a real expensive Mustang or whatever and show up to officer school with it. Source: me (but not actually me, I just watched it happen).

Just do what the rest of us do and use it to pay off higher interest debt, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
BWM: Negative Income Rental Properties

quote:

Using a throwaway for obvious reasons. Disclaimer, my husband is a faithful, loving, handsome partner and amazing father, and he makes a ton of money in a stable career (as do I, this isn't a trophy wife situation). He generally is a good partner about sticking to a monthly budget and otherwise using our money sensibly. Which is why I'm still married to him despite what a total loving idiot he is about this one thing. (we've been married for 5 years if it's relevant)

Before we were married, he made a financial decision that was, objectively, terrible -- he bought not one but TWO rental condos that together give a negative monthly cash flow of $500. There is little to no chance these condos are going to appreciate faster than inflation. There is about $400K in equity that I would like to extract and save for either the kids' college or our early retirement. However, any attempt to reason with him about the loving Condos results in him completely shutting down, becoming defensive, and refusing to listen to either emotional appeals or cold hard numbers. I gave him spreadsheets and powerpoints that went into great detail about why it was such a bad idea, his response was just "well, you made a lot of assumptions" and then a refusal to discuss further.

His father made a ton of money by buying real estate in Korea in the 1970s and therefore has the attitude of "BUY ALL THE REAL ESTATE EVERYWHERE FOREVER". So maybe my husband thinks that admitting the loving Condos were a bad idea and selling them would be an insult to his father. That's the only reason I can think of for why he's so sensitive about it.

Because we both make a lot of money and can easily afford the $500, this has not reached the point of being a financial emergency. However, it's becoming a major sticking point in our relationship as we're behind on saving for both the kids' college and the early retirement I would like to take due to our age difference. I'm reaching the end of my patience with this obstinate bullshit. He refuses to see a financial advisor. Any other strategies that have worked for anyone here?

tl;dr: Otherwise great husband is a complete loving idiot about this one aspect of our finances and refuses to listen to reason or see a financial advisor. Please tell me how you fixed such a situation. (For the sake of discussion, I'd like to take it as a given that the condos are a bad decision.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For the sake of discussion, I'd like to take it as a given that I'm already correct

and ew at talking to a financial advisor

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"I agree with you, Mrs. Redditor. You should sell these condos immediately...and buy $400k worth of full life insurance!"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Did she really make a PowerPoint presentation about the condos being BWM? :spergin:

Just raise the rent so you aren't losing money anymore, as long as The Rent Is Too Goddamn High guy isn't around then everybody will be happy except the renters.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

monster on a stick posted:

Just raise the rent so you aren't losing money anymore, as long as The Rent Is Too Goddamn High guy isn't around then everybody will be happy except the renters.

and she and her spouse, come the revolution, when they are against the wall for being Bad Landlords

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just talked with my coworker about his friend who just signed on a 5br massive house. "But they were paying $2000 to rent a 4br house already so this is cheaper!" Okay whatever, this doesn't sound too bad, until friend says "I hope they have better luck this time." "What's that mean?" "They bought an even bigger house before and had it foreclosed on a year later"

Oh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

monster on a stick posted:

Did she really make a PowerPoint presentation about the condos being BWM? :spergin:

The whole post gave off a massive management consulting vibe from both of them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The whole post gave off a massive management consulting vibe from both of them.

The plus side is that we have some potential thread titles:

BUY ALL THE REAL ESTATE EVERYWHERE FOREVER
I gave him spreadsheets and powerpoints that went into great detail about why it was such a bad idea

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
negative $500 cash flow a month for two condos doesn't automatically mean it is a bad rental investment, it could easily be a 10 or 15 year mortgage booking a profit in equity accumulation and capital appreciation. If my wife was constantly badgering me about her designs on my premarital assets I would probably get defensive about it too :shrug:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

negative $500 cash flow a month for two condos doesn't automatically mean it is a bad rental investment, it could easily be a 10 or 15 year mortgage booking a profit in equity accumulation and capital appreciation. If my wife was constantly badgering me about her designs on my premarital assets I would probably get defensive about it too :shrug:

This is bad. A negative cash flow of $500 - assuming both units are actually occupied - is terrible, actually. Sure, "the renters are paying in to my equity!" except with what is almost certainly a negative cap rate they probably aren't even going to beat inflation when all is said and done - a point the wife rather reasonably makes. And bad as it is this of course is assuming a 100% occupancy rate and no owner maintenance costs which is pure fantasy-land. The negative $500, from reading the post, is just from rents, not total cashflow. The latter is likely much worse.

There's a difference between straight out losing money i.e. negative equity and losing the value of the money. The latter is the case here in all likelihood (hard to say without actually knowing the real numbers) and both are BWM.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mortgage interest deduction can only be claimed on two mortgages, right? so either their residence and one condo are eligible? and you're paying income tax on rent income, even if you pay more for the mortgage + property taxes than you actually earn?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

ate all the Oreos posted:

Just talked with my coworker about his friend who just signed on a 5br massive house. "But they were paying $2000 to rent a 4br house already so this is cheaper!" Okay whatever, this doesn't sound too bad, until friend says "I hope they have better luck this time." "What's that mean?" "They bought an even bigger house before and had it foreclosed on a year later"

Oh.

I'm laughing at "had it foreclosed" like oops it just happened, force of nature, no way to stop that!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Cap rates are typically unlevered figures, so you usually only see them in really weird situations like affordable deals near the end of the 30 year compliance period.

They haven't indicated if they are taking taxes into account, it could be cash flow negative on its own, but give them additional paper losses like depreciation to reduce their tax bill at thier presumably high marginal rate, but if she is spreadsheeting that hard, they are probably accounting for that.

Still bad, potentially less bad, although they aren't in an income tax state so the marginal tax shields are less valuable.

Edit: They could form LLCs to hold the condos and still be able to deduct interest/depreciate the properties.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Can you offset your renting losses against other income or does the US tax system have safeguards against endeavors that won't turn a profit?

(In Germany the chief example is lawyers buying horses and trying to claim they have a real horse farm to get their hobby indirectly subsidized by the state.)

Jan 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

This is bad. A negative cash flow of $500 - assuming both units are actually occupied - is terrible, actually. Sure, "the renters are paying in to my equity!" except with what is almost certainly a negative cap rate they probably aren't even going to beat inflation when all is said and done - a point the wife rather reasonably makes. And bad as it is this of course is assuming a 100% occupancy rate and no owner maintenance costs which is pure fantasy-land. The negative $500, from reading the post, is just from rents, not total cashflow. The latter is likely much worse.

There's a difference between straight out losing money i.e. negative equity and losing the value of the money. The latter is the case here in all likelihood (hard to say without actually knowing the real numbers) and both are BWM.

You literally cannot evaluate the investment (i.e. calculate the cap rate) without knowing the terms of the loan and seeing the payment breakdown. Yes all things being equal obviously a positive cash flow rental is preferable to a negative cash flow rental but it is possible for a negative cash flow rental to produce a superior profit compared to a positive cash flow rental if the negative cash flow is due to a higher mortgage payment that costs less interest and accumulates more equity. Whether any investor can tolerate the negative cash flow is another question and obviously many small and accidental landlords cannot. It's absolutely possible that this is a sincerely bad and mismanaged rental investment - but you just don't know. All you know is that two condos are net negative $500 cash flow per month and an unhappy wife thinks the equity in the properties should be elsewhere.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Uterine Lineup posted:

BWM: Negative Income Rental Properties

Link?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Randler posted:

Can you offset your renting losses against other income or does the US tax system have safeguards against endeavors that won't turn a profit?

(In Germany the chief example is lawyers buying horses and trying to claim they have a real horse farm to get their hobby indirectly subsidized by the state.)

Emphatically. The US tax system loves giving paper losses to real estate, which can flow through to owners to offset earned income. It is why doctors and dentists make so many silly investments, because they have the high marginal tax rates to see significant tax bill reductions.

It used to be a lot worse, but there is still a lot that can be done to have even cash flow positive properties have negative taxable income.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Randler posted:

The IRS considers renting to be a "passive" activity so generally speaking, no. There are some exceptions: if you have a low MAGI, or if you are treated as a real estate pro with active interests in many properties, or have other passive income offsets - none of which would seem to apply to this couple.

As for forming LLCs to hold the properties, that generally doesn't work for tax purposes for this couple for the same reasons. If running rental properties was all they did and they had a big portfolio, probably, but owning two condos isn't going to count. Also the lienholders, assuming there are any, probably would look askance at forming an LLC to hold the property.

Jan 11, 2004

Randler posted:

Yes but there are limitations both directly with dollar limits on passive activity losses and indirectly through the Alternative Minimum Tax system. Also the way taxable rental income is calculated includes equity paid down on the mortgage even if it isn't seen directly as net cash received. There are also bona fide business versus hobby tests for the same reasons you have described.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

You literally cannot evaluate the investment (i.e. calculate the cap rate) without knowing the terms of the loan and seeing the payment breakdown. Yes all things being equal obviously a positive cash flow rental is preferable to a negative cash flow rental but it is possible for a negative cash flow rental to produce a superior profit compared to a positive cash flow rental if the negative cash flow is due to a higher mortgage payment that costs less interest and accumulates more equity. Whether any investor can tolerate the negative cash flow is another question and obviously many small and accidental landlords cannot. It's absolutely possible that this is a sincerely bad and mismanaged rental investment - but you just don't know. All you know is that two condos are net negative $500 cash flow per month and an unhappy wife thinks the equity in the properties should be elsewhere.

Fair enough and I said as much :)

Going off appearances though, this looks like a bad rental investment. Who knows.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

If you are managing 2 rental properties adequately and are building significant equity but still have a negative cashflow , then I hope the plan is either rapid free-and-clear on one of the properties and create a debt snowball, or a cash out refinance into a longer term that gets him to neutral /slightly positive while allowing for a buffer or buying (smarter) properties to offset the losses. If he's just looking for appreciation, then he's speculating. There's also the liquidity loss for the whole time the process is net negative; hell without the property hassle and $500 per month in hand he could just invest in REITs or wait 10 months to put 5K into crowdfunding.

Obviously if they can eat that much loss every month then they make enough so it's a small issue, but there's no real estate investor post 2007 that would look at that and say "wow look at that savvy move!"

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6bbuyh/i_33_f_am_really_struggling_with_my_husbands_45m/

The OP deleted it right after I opened it so I caught the text.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The husband's other family is probably renting one of the condos. GWM as one wife is helping subsidize his other one.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We had an "Employee Appreciation Day" last week. It is for employees at a government agency, so all funds have to be raised from the employees themselves; no public money or office money for anything.

To "make up" for the fact that the employees have to pay for their own appreciation event, the Managers give out awards to hourly employees and give the winner in each section a free day of PTO.

One of our Managers gave an award to one employee for "staying until 7 pm almost every single day to make sure that we never fall behind."

There is currently a budget directive that bans anyone from authorizing overtime. The head of our agency pulled the manager aside and asked her why she had been approving overtime. She told him to not worry because she hadn't, she just never paid him for all the time he worked.

That is super illegal and they withdrew the award from that guy, gave him the day of PTO anyway, and paid him for 2 months of overtime.

They took the money from the general expense and office supply fund for that department and now the manager is telling everyone that they aren't getting new computers because "they had to pay out Jose."

BWM: Working for free.
Even more BWM: Giving an award for wage theft when the head of the Department of Labor and OMB is in attendance.

Leon how do you constantly come up with the best BWM stories

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pig slut lisa posted:

The answer is in the question

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

employees at a government agency

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
that's a pretty funny story but i don't really see the bwm side of it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zo posted:

that's a pretty funny story but i don't really see the bwm side of it

Jose for working unpaid overtime in a position that entitles him to that pay, and the manager for pulling that in that environment and the resulting impact on the division budget (dunno if 'bad with employer budget' qualifies as 'bad with money' in this thread).

Jan 11, 2004

balancedbias posted:

If you are managing 2 rental properties adequately and are building significant equity but still have a negative cashflow , then I hope the plan is either rapid free-and-clear on one of the properties and create a debt snowball, or a cash out refinance into a longer term that gets him to neutral /slightly positive while allowing for a buffer or buying (smarter) properties to offset the losses. If he's just looking for appreciation, then he's speculating. There's also the liquidity loss for the whole time the process is net negative; hell without the property hassle and $500 per month in hand he could just invest in REITs or wait 10 months to put 5K into crowdfunding.

Obviously if they can eat that much loss every month then they make enough so it's a small issue, but there's no real estate investor post 2007 that would look at that and say "wow look at that savvy move!"

Yeah obviously he could be working to put himself in a better overall investment position but I see significant reasons not to just oblige the wife OP and sell the properties:
1) taxable event resulting in capital gains tax and depreciation recapture
2) expense and hassle of selling tenant occupied properties, hefty agent commissions plus the potential for lost rent
3) converting a premarital asset to a comingled martial asset in a marriage where they are apparently already fighting about money

Further I can see how it might be hard to use your $400k equity to augment your position with better cash flowing properties if your wife is already up your rear end about the two you own. So who really knows I guess.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Something similar happened to my department. 1st shift started at 6:30am every day, but a policy change on January 1st entitled us to a differential for our entire shift if we worked before 7am. They figured this out sometime in mid-February so the whole NOC got a 10% bonus for hours worked along with an immediate schedule change. No biggie, although I liked getting to work at 6:30 and leaving at 3:30.

The real BWM was getting busted by the BSA a year later when a fired co-worker reported the fact that none of the Windows or Office software in our wholly owned subsidiary of a major telecommunications company was licensed. I think they let them off without a fine, but they had to purchase a whole lot of licenses and they probably didn't get a volume discount.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think they let them off without charging for each component of microsoft office, a way worse fate.

GWM: narcing to the BSA for that payday.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Eat less avocados on toast and don't buy four coffees a day says a super wealthy fucker who got 34k from his grandparents to start a gym 20 years ago:

quote:

He started out by taking over a lease on a suburban gym as a 19-year-old, using $34,000 given to him by his grandfather. He sold the business a year later to a competitor and went into property development, riding the boom in Melbourne and Brisbane.

“When I was buying my first home, I wasn’t buying smashed avocado for 19 bucks and four coffees at $4 each,” he told 60 Minutes in a segment exploring Australia’s housing affordability crisis.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...3982ac0a73df3c9

It's kinda interesting to see someone around my age give similar terrible advice to people a lot older than us. For those that don't know, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne went through an awesome housing boom, that as far as I know hasn't stopped. If you got in at the start, you get a massive boost up. Of course going from humble beginnings to being worth half a billion takes work and dedication but blaming eating out as the sole reason you haven;t bought a home is delusional.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 16, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Suspicious Lump posted:

Eat less avocados on toast and don't buy four coffees a day says a super wealthy fucker who got 34k from his grandparents to start a gym 20 years ago:

It's kinda interesting to see someone around my age give similar terrible advice to people a lot older than us. For those that don't know, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne went through an awesome housing boom, that as far as I know hasn't stopped. If you got in at the start, you get a massive boost up. Of course going from humble beginnings to being worth half a billion takes work and dedication but blaming eating out as the sole reason you haven;t bought a home is delusional.

uhh nowhere did he say or imply that eating out is the sole reason of anything, did you even read the article?

and he's completely right that lots of people are bad with money blowing it on stupid poo poo, hence why we have this thread

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

Maybe but he says:

quote:

“They want to eat out every day, they want to travel to Europe every year. This generation is watching the Kardashians and thinking that’s normal. Thinking that owning a Bentley is normal, that owning a BMW is normal."

How accurate that is I'm not sure, but it reminds me a lot of The Millionaire Next Door which helped deflate a lot of superstitions about how millionaires lived (TLDR most of them lived like middle class people.) Depending on where you live and who you work with, you can have some pretty unreasonable expectations about how society expects you to live, one that encourages you being BWM, which is why it's so common to read about people buying too much house, cars worth more than their annual salary, and other stupid poo poo.

I liked how he said Syndey was too expensive for him. He's worth a half-billion and he says "yeah that city is loving overpriced and I'm not buying there." It's not like he can't afford it. Syndey sounds a lot like Vancouver which is stupid expensive now and people just keep buying.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
$20 brunch, 52 weeks a year is $1040.

A 2br condo in my area is ~$600,000. Only 120 years away from getting a place not counting inflation! Cut out those daily coffees and we're down to 60 years!

I get what he's saying but survivorship bias and whatnot has to count as well.

Pointing out small budget leaks is certainly not where I'd start when looking at the lack of affordable housing for an entire generation.

VVV: that's not what I said you dolt

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 16, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
traveling to Europe every year, buying BMWs - "a small leak in budget"

you heard it here folks!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zo posted:

traveling to Europe every year, buying BMWs - "a small leak in budget"

you heard it here folks!

Depends on relativity, the budget could be $100,000,000,000 US a year.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Depends on relativity, the budget could be $100,000,000,000 US a year.

true, but then they would be able to (barely) buy a house in Sydney with that kind of budget!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zo posted:

true, but then they would be able to (barely) buy a house in Sydney with that kind of budget!

In the minute between you posting that and my response, the average house price in Sydney increased by 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Zo posted:

uhh nowhere did he say or imply that eating out is the sole reason of anything, did you even read the article?

and he's completely right that lots of people are bad with money blowing it on stupid poo poo, hence why we have this thread
Yeah me too, I never said it was the sole reason he gave. He may be right that a lot of people blow their money on stupid poo poo, but he's is still giving terrible advice. He's also generalising to the max. The number of people you think are dumb and blowing money away, there's probably an equal amount which are good with money and yet can't afford housing or have trouble.