Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
so Vizio is still killing it, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

so Vizio is still killing it, huh
I think they're more "acceptable but super cheap"-ing it

this years samsungs are all edge lit, if you want to get something better than vizio you should either get a sony x900e or above [but not the 930e] or an lg oled

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I hafta say, the newest big-rear end sonys look fantastic for contrast, proper black blacks. I had a look while I was out shopping and came away thinking Do I have a spare £4000 :o:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah the sony oled is like super legit but it costs 4 thousand ameros

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have a plasma from 2013 that is extremely needs suiting

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

OLED in its current form cant achieve any sort of meaningful HDR.

and HDR standard is determined by SMPTE not Dolby

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my samsung in like 2002 had 10000:1 contrast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I just quickly turn my tv on and off real quick to create near to infitite levels of contrast

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just so you know, 8K + HDR would be able to emulate CRT phosphors without a darkening of the image.

get ready for some next level vaporwave poo poo, but people will just like the PQ gamma looking version on their rec.709 displays so lol at everything forever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it's going to own, watching all that beautiful highly-compressed sub-1080p content upscaled to 8K with 3:2 pulldown

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
like maybe they can also do 3D conversion while they're at it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

just so you know, 8K + HDR would be able to emulate CRT phosphors without a darkening of the image.

get ready for some next level vaporwave poo poo, but people will just like the PQ gamma looking version on their rec.709 displays so lol at everything forever

is crt good contrast

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
miss playing fpses on a crt late at night then closing my eyes and having that good good eye burn

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pagancow posted:

most monitors decay past calibratibility after 4 years. CCFL backlights die in 5 years, so have fun.

We've been running a lot of them find since the mid-00's. The failure rate is surprisingly low, and its usually the inverter that goes. Bless u, Ultrasharps

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

We've been running a lot of them find since the mid-00's. The failure rate is surprisingly low, and its usually the inverter that goes. Bless u, Ultrasharps

Not all caps sold during that time were defective. consider yourself lucky

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Optiplex GX260/270's that they came with have long since exploded with delicious cap goo. I had a guy in our HVAC shop claim the new AV version rollout was crashing his systems but it turned out that they idled at 0% CPU load and every single voltage regular cap on them had blown so a windows installer package was enough CPU load to kill them.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well, thanks, I think I'm going to get the vizio at some point. haven't had a real tv in years now

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

as for my monitor, it's still real good and looks better than anything I see in the store.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Silver Alicorn posted:

well, thanks, I think I'm going to get the vizio at some point. haven't had a real tv in years now

BUT ITS NOT HDR!!!!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is this newfangled hdr the same hdr that looks like this:

because hard fuckin' pass if it is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pagancow posted:

BUT ITS NOT HDR!!!!!!

I just want a tv my dude

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

what you have posted is an example of high dynamic range imaging, which is actually more of an image processing technique. the method is to take multiple photographs at different exposure settings and artfully compress the dynamic range down into something that can be displayed on a regular monitor.

in a tv video context, it refers to increasing the actual dynamic range of the display system. there is no realistic way to represent hdr video content on a non hdr screen

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

when my u2711 dies i will probably get a "5k" dell or whatever is available

dude....

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you actually want to learn things instead of just watching pagancow string professional-sounding buzzwords together this guy is doing a pretty good job
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2812161-what-color-volume.html#post52187897

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

almost bought the vizio today. didn't because I don't think it will fit in my car

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

if you actually want to learn things instead of just watching pagancow string professional-sounding buzzwords together this guy is doing a pretty good job
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2812161-what-color-volume.html#post52187897

lol dont click it is actively delivering malware and auto downloading JS files saying "your chrome is out of date!"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Bloody posted:

burn this from the earth. its unfortunate they happened to be called the same thing, but HDR displays are nothing to do with tonemapped "HDR" images.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Berious posted:

dude....

???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the rendering software i use makes hdr files coz it doesn't just render to screen space or whatever

it's bad to the rear end

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

lol dont click it is actively delivering malware and auto downloading JS files saying "your chrome is out of date!"

not if you block ads :smugdog:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

That's not an ad thats some sort of malware delivery system they probably dont know they are running becuase the users of the site adblock and then they wonder why they are making dad jokes about the prog-rock equivalent of AV equipment instead of just rocking out professional displays from dolby that are water cooled

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also keep on topic, 1,000 nit brightness monitors are going to be a bare minimum for looking at any content in like 2 years, why would you want to buy another monitor in 2 years unless you're buying a burner or something?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait, pagancow do you not run ad block? This is important.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pagancow posted:

That's not an ad thats some sort of malware delivery system they probably dont know they are running becuase the users of the site adblock and then they wonder why they are making dad jokes about the prog-rock equivalent of AV equipment instead of just rocking out professional displays from dolby that are water cooled

ads are a common malware delivery system, op

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

pagancow posted:

also keep on topic, 1,000 nit brightness monitors are going to be a bare minimum for looking at any content in like 2 years, why would you want to buy another monitor in 2 years unless you're buying a burner or something?
broled

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Salt Fish posted:

duh, i like websites catering to my needs for free

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Salt Fish posted:

blocking ads is immoral, you wouldn't steal a content

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

lol I just quickly turn my tv on and off real quick to create near to infitite levels of contrast

lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

So every game made for this generation already renders HDR internally, To add HDR support to all new games you just have to tonemap your user interface to a normal brightness level and take off the sRGB tone mapping and put it in PQ gamma.

Its like a day's worth of programming, and the rest testing to make it work. Mass Effect Andromeda shipped with HDR support, and a bunch of PS4 games have it already. Major game engines already do HDR rendering, its just a matter of exposing it to the developer and welp now 2 years later you feel dumb not buying an HDR monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Movies full post production pipeline is like 18 months, and most tent-pole films starting from last year already get mastered in HDR, so if you pay for movies you'll have somet hahahahah lol you guys don't pay for stuff

• Locked thread