Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yeah, Thunderbolt does specify a non-ranged attack, so you can't use it with Sandstorm Wind or the other Melee charms that let you loose projectiles of one sort or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like doing Exalted but Exalted IN SPACE, using that Heaven's Reach setting from that old 2e setting book, but then again it's already hard enough to find players for this dead game and I can't imagine I'd find more by using copious amounts of homebrew.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like doing Exalted but Exalted IN SPACE, using that Heaven's Reach setting from that old 2e setting book, but then again it's already hard enough to find players for this dead game and I can't imagine I'd find more by using copious amounts of homebrew.

I've found it pretty easy to find players for this, but most of the games i've ran have been discord with few organized sessions [mostly for big fights], and more 'post as you can' stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SunAndSpring posted:

There is a very alive discord channel I found once that is overflowing with players specifically for Exalted: https://discord.gg/ZAX8wFw

Dudes there are pretty chill.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dang Arms is gonna get released in a pretty quick pace

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I am super excited for Arms because my character's weapon is getting a full write-up in it. Also because every single one of the warstriders is crazy awesome. (Okay, the one you ride while on a horse leaves me cold, but it seems to be of great interest to horse-lovers.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SunAndSpring posted:

Shards is old now? Shards is- oh. Oh. Shards came out five years ago.

Also, when I was googling that I found this: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?800920-Exalted-Shards-of-a-Compass-Heaven-s-Reach

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Shards is old now? Shards is- oh. Oh. Shards came out five years ago.

If you read it letter by letter, you can see the mid-life crisis start.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

I am super excited for Arms because my character's weapon is getting a full write-up in it. Also because every single one of the warstriders is crazy awesome. (Okay, the one you ride while on a horse leaves me cold, but it seems to be of great interest to horse-lovers.)
Do you, and the warstrider, go on a horse, or does the horse join you in the warstrider? Is it compatible with Hidden Horse Style?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

Do you, and the warstrider, go on a horse, or does the horse join you in the warstrider? Is it compatible with Hidden Horse Style?

It's the second thing, Master Asia style, and, of course, of course.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I have to say that if this is how they're going to justify the "Whirlwind Armor-Donning Prana BUT FOR A HORSE" Charm...

...:frogon:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

So Bouquet was kind enough to start up a Discord of our own for SA Exalted, which can be found here.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
New DB previews showing off an Elemental Aura mechanic which seems to be taking the place of out-of-element surcharges, and some new charms that use it.

http://theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/

quote:

A Dragon-Blooded can unlock the greatest heights of her power by entering into an Elemental Aura state, centering her Essence around a single element. Some Charms are powered up while the Dragon-Blooded is in their element’s Aura, while others—marked with the Aura keyword—can only be used in the Aura state.

However, this power comes at a trade-off: if the Dragon-Blooded uses Charms from another element, her Aura state ends. There are a few helpful exceptions: the Balanced keyword marks Charms that won’t disrupt your Aura, and Charms that have multiple elemental aspects won’t end it as long as one of them matches.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://the-exalted-few.tumblr.com/post/159142192213/exalted-as-dril-quotes

Covok
May 27, 2013

I know official DBs is actually something that may exist now, but has anyone seen this: http://madletter.net/rpg/exalted/maudova/A_Clutch_of_Dragons_Preview.pdf

Someone on that Ex3 discord I mentioned earlier made this. On a cursory glance, seems pretty cool. Still needs MA, Panoply, QCs, ST, and an Adventure, though.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

GenCon event tickets went on sale today.

Not a single Exalted game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Running an Exalted 3e adventre in only four hours certainly would be quite the challenge.

(Bear in mind Onyx Path is running a fair number of games this year themselves for a change, but not that one.)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
How does slot allotment for Gencon work; is it just companies and organizations that can submit stuff, or do individuals do it, too?

If it's the latter, I'm kinda surprised that no one is running anything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Anybody can. A lot of stuff is run by big companies recruiting volunteers, clubs, and game communities, but plenty of individuals can run whatever they like.

The fact that Exalted isn't being run isn't that unusual, a lot of games don't get run even at a convention that size, what's more unusual is that there's seemingly zero push given the book's recent release.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I go to Origins and Origins has always had a huge outpost for running Shadowrun, by contrast. I tried to sit down one year for a session and I begged out after an hour because it was so unbearably tedious for everyone fiddling around on the sixteen different kinds of ammunition on their loving guns.

I'm sure you could organize something like they had (separate sessions for chargen and a simple scenario; some other actual games including a plot you could follow) with Exalted. You might have to be kind of standardized in the rule interpretation somehow or other, or spend a dollar.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, at this point you can just try out Tomb of Dreams, which is made for pretty much that.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ahahah

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Nessus posted:

I go to Origins and Origins has always had a huge outpost for running Shadowrun, by contrast. I tried to sit down one year for a session and I begged out after an hour because it was so unbearably tedious for everyone fiddling around on the sixteen different kinds of ammunition on their loving guns.

I'm sure you could organize something like they had (separate sessions for chargen and a simple scenario; some other actual games including a plot you could follow) with Exalted. You might have to be kind of standardized in the rule interpretation somehow or other, or spend a dollar.

Man the concept of doing chargen while you're at a convention blows my mind. Isn't that what pregens are for?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Got this from Nihnoz and lmao Rich Thomas is a loving piece of poo poo

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/aDj92

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Plutonis posted:

Got this from Nihnoz and lmao Rich Thomas is a loving piece of poo poo

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/aDj92

when did john and holden become trustworthy sources again

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

This what was I was wondering, yet.

For all the contract talk in those images, if this stuff actually came to small claims court, I would have to imagine any judge would make funny faces at somebody trying to make a claim for money once the "delayed everything for multiple years" part came up.

With that said, RichT is still a huge rear end for doing the "you aren't allowed to talk negatively about things I've done" thing on the OPP forums.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Even if Morke and Holden are talking out of their asses there's still the guy who made the Ex3 map that got screwed over

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Even if Morke and Holden are talking out of their asses there's still the guy who made the Ex3 map that got screwed over

Yeah, this is a situation where I'm just coming out of it believing the worst of Holden, Morke, and RichT all at the same time.
Poor David Hill.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
I mean they're correct that the backer charms were marked as in layout for more than a year. You don't have to be an OPP insider to know that their books spend far far too long in layout and art direction, either.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Of course this misses out on all the stuff Holden and Hatewheel have bragged about before and is pretty not chill.

For instance, Holden and Hatewheel liked to bitch that Rich Thomas personally hated them, but at the same time they would both brag repeatedly that they had told Rich Thomas to gently caress off directly to his face multiple times and refused to do what he said. Then they blamed it taking forever for their books to get art and layout on Rich trying to sabotage them, but having nothing to do with them repeatedly giving Rich Thomas poo poo.

Which is kind of interesting when you consider how Rich Thomas has had a problem with Exalted Fans before. It seems so strange, doesn't it? that someone would have problems with the Exalted Community when they don't ever interact with them, and consider them as being perpetually unpleasant. Of course it turns out if the line developers who everyone loves are prickly, better then thou assholes who are constantly insulting you, that'd probably be a reason to feel like the actual players aren't that different, since they're supporting the developers.

Then there's the whole question that Holden and Hatewheel did this explicitly, giving this guy information knowing he was going to do this. Which really just makes me wonder if they're trying to burn down Exalted permanently know that they don't get to be the developers anymore.

I used to think really negatively of Rich Thomas but honestly as time has gone on I've gotten really loving sympathetic to him; Holden and Hatewheel were always assholes at best, but it's starting to seem like they were being incredibly difficult to work with and then using Rich Thomas as an excuse when things weren't going how they wanted.

Also from what I know all the pay stuff is highly exaggerated at best. Holden and Hatewheel were paid for the core. They weren't paid for the mostly done Arms and DBs that they completely rescinded and refused to allow to publish.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 7, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

In the writing environment they fostered, there are ~40k published words that I never got money for, and not (entirely) because of Rich Thomas.

For the ~7 months I was trying to write the equipment chapter for EX3, no matter how much I pestered them I never saw more than a very early core system draft. It was the combat system, feats of strength, and a section header for sailing with nothing under it.

They knowingly "okay"d an impossible project timeline, and an impossible Kickstarter deadline, whether it was a lie to Rich or to CCP or both. Because they wanted it.

I feel some sympathy for them, however ironic it might seem, and all the good advice in the world didn't stop me, but I really wish they hadn't done this. As good or righteous as it feels to lash out sometimes, it only takes a little bit of extra context to make you look like a massive, idiot weirdo, in the unlikely event doing this stuff didn't already.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

xiw posted:

Man the concept of doing chargen while you're at a convention blows my mind. Isn't that what pregens are for?
Well it's like an hour slot, it's just a scheduled hour slot. Might've been two hours. I can see that being a useful teaching exercise especially if the game is fiddly or arcane, though then one wonders: Why not make the game not fiddly and arcane?

Stallion Cabana posted:

Of course this misses out on all the stuff Holden and Hatewheel have bragged about before and is pretty not chill.

For instance, Holden and Hatewheel liked to bitch that Rich Thomas personally hated them, but at the same time they would both brag repeatedly that they had told Rich Thomas to gently caress off directly to his face multiple times and refused to do what he said. Then they blamed it taking forever for their books to get art and layout on Rich trying to sabotage them, but having nothing to do with them repeatedly giving Rich Thomas poo poo.

Which is kind of interesting when you consider how Rich Thomas has had a problem with Exalted Fans before. It seems so strange, doesn't it? that someone would have problems with the Exalted Community when they don't ever interact with them, and consider them as being perpetually unpleasant. Of course it turns out if the line developers who everyone loves are prickly, better then thou assholes who are constantly insulting you, that'd probably be a reason to feel like the actual players aren't that different, since they're supporting the developers.

Then there's the whole question that Holden and Hatewheel did this explicitly, giving this guy information knowing he was going to do this. Which really just makes me wonder if they're trying to burn down Exalted permanently know that they don't get to be the developers anymore.

I used to think really negatively of Rich Thomas but honestly as time has gone on I've gotten really loving sympathetic to him; Holden and Hatewheel were always assholes at best, but it's starting to seem like they were being incredibly difficult to work with and then using Rich Thomas as an excuse when things weren't going how they wanted.

Also from what I know all the pay stuff is highly exaggerated at best. Holden and Hatewheel were paid for the core. They weren't paid for the mostly done Arms and DBs that they completely rescinded and refused to allow to publish.
Did Holden and Morke become subject to the Great Curse?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Didn't the kickstarter for 3e claim it was almost done?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

Didn't the kickstarter for 3e claim it was almost done?
Yeah I seem to recall even Morke admitting that was just straight up a lie, unless "we have a pretty good plan" is "almost done."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Nessus posted:

Yeah I seem to recall even Morke admitting that was just straight up a lie, unless "we have a pretty good plan" is "almost done."

his specific excuse for this one was 'if we don't lie about how fast we can get this out they're going to give it to someone else and it's going to be poo poo!'

That Old Tree posted:

In the writing environment they fostered, there are ~40k published words that I never got money for, and not (entirely) because of Rich Thomas.

For the ~7 months I was trying to write the equipment chapter for EX3, no matter how much I pestered them I never saw more than a very early core system draft. It was the combat system, feats of strength, and a section header for sailing with nothing under it.

They knowingly "okay"d an impossible project timeline, and an impossible Kickstarter deadline, whether it was a lie to Rich or to CCP or both. Because they wanted it.

I feel some sympathy for them, however ironic it might seem, and all the good advice in the world didn't stop me, but I really wish they hadn't done this. As good or righteous as it feels to lash out sometimes, it only takes a little bit of extra context to make you look like a massive, idiot weirdo, in the unlikely event doing this stuff didn't already.

Can you talk more about this environment or would it feel too much like you're doing the same thing they did?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Stallion Cabana posted:

his specific excuse for this one was 'if we don't lie about how fast we can get this out they're going to give it to someone else and it's going to be poo poo!'

And hell, he was probably right.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Stallion Cabana posted:

Can you talk more about this environment or would it feel too much like you're doing the same thing they did?

It wasn't anything nefarious. Just a pervasive attitude of "We all love Exalted. Write as much as possible, regardless of contracts." Which is a great way to get everyone exploited, no matter how much fun you have doing it. It's something a lot of writers do to themselves in this industry. It's probably vital to how the industry as we know it survives. But not all of them do, and those that don't still get work, too.

It's pretty rich to get this specifically accusatory over something like that, when it was absolutely a mark of pride how much overwriting they got out of people.

Fake edit:

Oh, yeah. The "errata" was a published product, too. So my unpaid wordcount is actually more like 50-60k, not to mention the layout work and video and audio editing I did. I was a loving sucker.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The 2.5 errata always felt like a weird bad situation where the devs did it out of the kindness of their hearts and then seemed to immediately resent the work done on it. It seemed to breed a lot of bitterness and anger, either towards the previous 2e writers or towards overdemanding fans. It just seems kind of like a miracle in retrospect that it got done at all.

I know part of it got published as Thousand Correct Actions, I'm curious as to whether or not that got its writers a payment?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If I was being charitable to Holden/Morke, I think they were highly engaged fans who went from, "gently caress this is my dream job" to, "I deserve more for this job" in pretty short order and didn't handle the transition gracefully. It's kind of a paradox in this industry because both of those things can simultaneously be true; you aren't writing for the money, really, but you look at the intellectual impact you're having, you look at the number of fans and voices on forums and you think I'm having a big impact, I deserve more than this. And frankly, you probably do.

I think they bit off more than they could chew and expected to be compensated for the big chunks of time they had sunk into the process. It sounds to me like they ran into the basic problem that has plagued Exalted since forever - it wants to be a massive complex engine but there isn't enough time in a normal development cycle to perfect that down to the finest grains of every Charm.

Also they're both excessively abrasive human beings and always have been. I doubt Holden would even contest that claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The 2.5 errata always felt like a weird bad situation where the devs did it out of the kindness of their hearts and then seemed to immediately resent the work done on it. It seemed to breed a lot of bitterness and anger, either towards the previous 2e writers or towards overdemanding fans. It just seems kind of like a miracle in retrospect that it got done at all.

I know part of it got published as Thousand Correct Actions, I'm curious as to whether or not that got its writers a payment?

TCA was quite a bit before the other, bigger, sweeping errata stuff, possibly before Holden's first writing credits. I know Michael was contracted to write the brand new Charms, and as he began he said "this all has to change or it's not worth it." I'm not sure he got paid for all the errata in it. I would guess not. He was a prolific overwriter, himself.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 8, 2017