Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Meister
May 12, 2001

what in the world is going on itt

derek jeter was terrible and should never have been an all star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Other possible headlines:
  • Jeter Jeter Pumpkin Eater
  • Derek and the Domino's Pizza
  • Captain Crunch

Seriously though I'm trying to find any part of him that looks fat in that picture and I can't.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Some Numbers posted:

Ichiro will probably be unanimous.

He drat well should be

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Milovan Drecun posted:

Is the 2nd best DH all-time something to celebrate?

Ask all the people who say David Ortiz should be in the HoF.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Some Numbers posted:

How long have full time DH's been around? If I remember right when the rule came around it was mostly used as a half day off for a regular position player?

I could be very wrong here, but I'd think I'd remember someone earlier than Edgar as a DH if so.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

La Russa's the most overrated manager in MLB history.
Tony La Russa Baseball II was dope though. I spent so goddamn long editing in up-to-date rosters and stats as a kid.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

How long have full time DH's been around? If I remember right when the rule came around it was mostly used as a half day off for a regular position player?

I could be very wrong here, but I'd think I'd remember someone earlier than Edgar as a DH if so.

Pretty sure Edgar was the first full time DH, yeah.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

Or Hal McRae.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Some Numbers posted:

Ichiro will probably be unanimous.

FALSE. Ichiro will never retire and will therefore never be eligible.

And you people think this fat gently caress should be in the hall of fame, smdh

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The beat the streak leader is 6 picks away from the 5.6 million prize. Today he picked Ezequiel Carerra and Kevin Pillar. Heh

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

shadok posted:

Or Hal McRae.

Ya its him and Yaz.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
He was still playing a handful of games in the field, but Harold Baines was DHing a vast majority of the time starting in 1987.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

N: Matheny has good opinions and makes valid points, makes Maddon seem crotchety, old and dumb (in my opinion).

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...15140b6b50.html

V: I don't care if it's just on one issue. I'm scared, somebody hold me.

Matheny is on point here (:barf:) and Maddon's elaborate hand wringing over the slide rule is legit embarassing to read. Is the slide rule perfect? No, and honestly I'm not sure how you fix it. Is an imperfect rule that so far seems to do a good job of preventing horrible season-ending injuries better than no rule at all? Unequivocally yes. Same goes for the Posey rule that Maddon also likes to cry and waste the Cubs challenge on continuously.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Some Numbers posted:

He absolutely should.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya its him and Yaz.

Yaz was already well into his 40s when he started DHing full time, which he only did for a couple seasons. McRae and Don Baylor started in their early 30s and remained there till they retired.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The beat the streak leader is 6 picks away from the 5.6 million prize. Today he picked Ezequiel Carerra and Kevin Pillar. Heh

Well, at least he's locked up the season-long prize, even if Carerra doesn't get a hit today. I wonder if that would put a damper on entries?

E: Carerra didn't get the hit but the guy could still have his mulligan if he hasn't used it and they're doing that again this year?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 16, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Julio Cruz posted:

That's exactly my point. Other teams would have cut/benched/at the very least moved down the order a SS that age with that little production, but the Yankees didn't because they wanted him to get 3000 hits to boost his HoF credentials.

That's because the Yankees understand how to make money

Rad Valtar posted:

How about nobody gets in until Bonds does because it's a loving travesty.

Bonds was a doping cheater (and continued to be one after they started actually enforcing it, idiot) and should never get in

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hot take Monday ITT

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

kensei posted:

He drat well should be

lovely overhyped slap hitter who gives a gently caress

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a hot take for ya: cubs suck.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Bonds was a doping cheater (and continued to be one after they started actually enforcing it, idiot) and should never get in

This is the worst most wrong opinion I have ever...

ZenVulgarity posted:

lovely overhyped slap hitter who gives a gently caress
:stare:
Well I never

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

patonthebach posted:

He absolutely should.

Then Edgar should too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Welcome to SAS, hopefully you stick around for the beating you're about to receive!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kalenn Istarion posted:

you're a bad person with bad opinions and I hope you enjoy being bad forever

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wait 'til you see his hot takes on Ryan Goins!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants have won four in a row and I Still Believe.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Bonds doesn't deserve the Hall. Its a shame but there it is

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

don't get too excited, the Giants can't play garbage teams like the Reds and Dodgers every day

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Bonds doesn't deserve the Hall. Its a shame but there it is
Counterpoint: he does, and more importantly the hall deserves him

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Derek Jeter did steroids too just like everyone else in the core 4.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The 90s should be stricken from the Hall, and if possible, all of written history

I'm in Bakersfield for work and this stupid hotel doesn't have any baseball on. What the gently caress.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Pussy Boss posted:

Matt Cain out there pitching like Tim Lincecum is still MLB relevant

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

The 90s should be stricken from the Hall, and if possible, all of written history
the 90's happened and we were all complicit, in fact we encouraged it

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
He couldn't even break 3,000 hits in spite of cheating and playing for 3 years longer than Jeter

He's also a terrible human being

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He couldn't even break 3,000 hits in spite of cheating and playing for 3 years longer than Jeter
think that has anything to do with his record 2558 walks? Nah, probably not.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He's also a terrible human being

Derek Jeter played on teams loaded to the gills with steroids and won titles because of that. And he got a whole bunch of extra PAs because his steroid using teammates scored more runs and kept the lineup moving.

How's that for a hot take!

Also he probably used steroids and left a gift basket for his dealer.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This might be the dumbest take I've ever seen. Are you auditioning for first take? If not, I'd get a portfolio finished and send it over, because you're ready for primetime

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hey guys let's put this guy who definitely doped and perjured himselfobstructed justice in federal court several times about it into our permanent record of good baseball men so that kids will know the way to get ahead is to cheat the system and be an rear end in a top hat

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Your favorite player from the 80s or 90s probably did all kinds of illegal poo poo to play baseball better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey guys let's put this guy who definitely doped and perjured himselfobstructed justice in federal court several times about it into our permanent record of good baseball men so that kids will know the way to get ahead is to cheat the system and be an rear end in a top hat

I mean, it's not like we don't have dopers, cheaters and generally terrible people already in the hall. Do we need to remove them for the hall to be sacred, or just not let any new ones in?

• Locked thread