Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Low Desert Punk posted:

I think I talked about that last thread, but in all fairness, 99.9% of YouTubers going out of their way to make a video about that are going to come from a place of misogyny. James just genuinely really loves Ghostbusters

the reaction was just stupid because if they actually watched his video it wasn't at all how they were characterizing it (and it doesn't help them at all that the movie came out and was not good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I suppose Markiplier is good in the sense that he seems like a genuinely lovely person. Whether that's enough to tolerate his PewDiePie-esque content that mostly comprises of him doing screechy over-the-top reactions at various spooky games that would have otherwise only gotten exposure through Jim Sterling's verbal napalm.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

unlike the pewds he has a lovely and manly voice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lazy Game Reviews is a good channel but he mostly focuses on old games. He seems to know what's toxic and stays far away from it.

Gggmanlives is alright most of the time but gets into anti-SJW poo poo on occasion. I used to be all for making fun of them too but then Nazis ruined that and everyone who isn't completely insane is an SJW in their opinion. He's reviewed racist Doom mods before and the general response is that they're horrible but tongue in cheek so don't get upset. I think a better attitude would be to just ignore them no matter how much your fans beg. The Doom mod community is much better at policing itself than just about any other, it's 4Chan offshoots that are producing this poo poo.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also a sincere voice. As a Scandinavian, I don't think that's a real accent.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 15, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Seriously I could listen to that voice for ages, I wish he did more stuff just speaking normally.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

business hammocks posted:

What nerd hobbies don't have resentful reactionary scum in them?

I feel like, to some extent, it matters whether a community is primarily based online. Back in college (2004-2008) I was part of this anime/gaming social group, and it was at least half women and they were generally really good people who were very socially liberal. Occasionally more stereotypical noxious nerds came, but they would never fit in. I think this is at least partly because, in person, it's a lot harder to get away with a lot of the poo poo nerds do/say online. By the end of college I ended up growing apart from that group (I wasn't really as into geek hobbies as everyone else), but I still look back on them fondly.

I'm not sure how much of that was due to this being in a pre-Gamergate(etc) era and how much was due to me attending a large college in NYC. The Atheist organization I went to during my freshman/sophomore years was also mostly women and very socially liberal; it was pretty much the polar opposite of current Atheist stereotypes.

I think that it's easier to express terrible opinions online, because you don't actually have to visibly see women/minorities/whatever in the room with you and deal with their reactions. But online you don't have to fear any sort of recourse, so you can just say whatever terrible poo poo you want. Other people who agree with your terrible views then feel comfortable cheerleading them and next thing you know everything is terrible.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My girl used to watch the devlog about Yandere Simulator. She didn't play it but found them interesting. That guy is surprisingly anti-SJW and other nonsense. Even blamed SJW's for why his game was specifically banned from Twitch, as in banned by name. This Kotaku article (bare with me here) covers it better than the video. Mainly for this correction:

Correction posted:

The article notes that YandereDev points to feminists as a potential reason for Yandere Simulator’s ban on Twitch. YandereDev reached out to clarify that “I was not attempting to suggest that Yandere Simulator was banned because of ‘feminists’. I was suggesting that Yandere Simulator was banned by self-righteous ideologues who are very uncompromising and dogmatic. Anyone can fall into their category, whether they are a feminist or not.” The footage he uses in this portion of the recent video, which describes “THOSE people,” samples viral videos from so-called SJWs.

:rolleyes:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rough guesstimate, how many YouTube gaming channels are out there that aren't explicitly misogynistic and racist? Every single big channel I click on takes about 2 videos before they start making TRIGGERED jokes and making fun of feminists.

The only one I really know of off the top of my head is Cinemassacre, which is probably the most sweet and pure channel on YouTube

Its not hard to find channels that aren't misogynistic and racist, at least not openly.

Some stuff I know: Jerma985, Star_, ThatGuyTagg, Errant Signal, Superbunnyhop, Mark Brown, Kim Justice, Lazy Game Reviews, Matthewmatosis, Pushinguproses, Accursed Farms, Mattvisual, Ahoy, Digital foundry, MrBtongue (he openly mocked Gamergate when asked about it, much to their chagrin), Outsidexbox, theres tons.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 15, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rough guesstimate, how many YouTube gaming channels are out there that aren't explicitly misogynistic and racist? Every single big channel I click on takes about 2 videos before they start making TRIGGERED jokes and making fun of feminists.

The only one I really know of off the top of my head is Cinemassacre, which is probably the most sweet and pure channel on YouTube

Anything involving Justin or Griffin McElroy on Polygon; them along with their middlest brother Travis have made a podcast family that's pretty big on inclusion

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

khwarezm posted:

Its not hard to find channels that aren't misogynistic and racist, at least not openly.

Some stuff I know: Jerma985, Star_, ThatGuyTagg, Errant Signal, Superbunnyhop, Mark Brown, Kim Justice, Lazy Game Reviews, Matthewmatosis, Pushinguproses, Accursed Farms, Mattvisual, Ahoy, Digital foundry, MrBtongue (he openly mocked Gamergate when asked about it, much to their chagrin), Outsidexbox, theres tons.

I used to watch Jerma a lot, I went back to watch some of his newer videos just to see tons of people in the comments screeching about his "SJW" girlfriend

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I used to watch Jerma a lot, I went back to watch some of his newer videos just to see tons of people in the comments screeching about his "SJW" girlfriend

Oh man that is so annoying. He's so good-natured and he always avoids any kind of controversy but people see a female, a non white one at that and they lose their minds.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

PiCroft posted:

I suppose Markiplier is good in the sense that he seems like a genuinely lovely person. Whether that's enough to tolerate his PewDiePie-esque content that mostly comprises of him doing screechy over-the-top reactions at various spooky games that would have otherwise only gotten exposure through Jim Sterling's verbal napalm.

Mark is 100% cool, it's just his target audience is much younger than people here, but the guy himself is amazing and probably does by far the most charity out of the big tubers.

Hell, I remember when GradeA was pissed at Mark and others criticizing drama on youtube and said Mark looked like a "retard" because he had his hair partly dyed red, little did Grade know (not that he'll care) is that Mark dyed his hair in support of a friend dying of cancer.

That's just one of the reasons Grade's reputation went from solid to one of the shittiest people on the site.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

SteelMentor posted:

There was also an incident where he actually pissed himself and just kept playing despite Egoraptor telling him to loving clean himself up several times.

Erm, source for that? I have never heard it mentioned anywhere else but here right now.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

The Sw1tcher dude's are real chill, I don't think I've ever heard them make a jokes like that and they do a ton of fighting games.

LaserTime the YouTube channel of a pop culture podcast I listen do does mostly game stuff on their YouTube and they're all San Francisco lefty types.

I've also never really heard jokes like that Neebsgaming, JackFrag, Levelcap and Matimo.

Unfortunately the two other dude's from Red Letter Media, Rich Evans and the skinny bald dude kind of cross into that area sometimes which is disappointing

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Low Desert Punk posted:

What is it about gaming that attracts this type of ideology anyway? It's not like every other traditionally "nerdy" hobby is just as toxic and horrible, gaming is by far the worst, with maybe comics at second place.
Immaturity. Peter Pan syndrome. Anonymity online.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Unfortunately the two other dude's from Red Letter Media, Rich Evans and the skinny bald dude kind of cross into that area sometimes which is disappointing

Eh, they're hardly alt right for making the occasionally edgy joke. They're definitely not an example of YouTube hatred, except towards the movie Rogue One.

Best Friends Play (aka TheSwi1tcher that was mentioned earlier) is an example of an extremely long running LP channel that has stayed funny and not descended into a bunch of screaming slurs.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
So bad news, one of the members of Skeptic Feminist may have killed someone, there's a lot of drama going on right now, and this going to be a shitstorm. It's not Haley from the channel is about all that's known but there's a gently caress tun of rumors flying around right now.

They're going to get nasty.

https://medium.com/@_Amora_/feminist-youtuber-the-skeptic-feminist-arrested-for-allegedly-killing-a-woman-in-colorado-a0796f4bd958

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

WampaLord posted:

Eh, they're hardly alt right for making the occasionally edgy joke. They're definitely not an example of YouTube hatred, except towards the movie Rogue One.

Best Friends Play (aka TheSwi1tcher that was mentioned earlier) is an example of an extremely long running LP channel that has stayed funny and not descended into a bunch of screaming slurs.

Grand Wizard Wakka is their outlet.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Yeah they're not YouTube Hatred but it's still weird to hear. As for Rouge One, I could understand some of the criticism they gave of it but I thought it was pretty solid over all.

And yeah having just gotten into Best Friends Play, those dude's are awesome

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

theCalamity posted:

Grand Wizard Wakka is their outlet.

Woolie going 'The RACE WAR is ONNNNNNN' during the LP was the highlight of my week back then.

They do have a knack for managing to joke about sensitive themes and still make it funny, because they play the vile stuff as something vile that only a moron would say.

It also helps that they always have another person there, so one can make a fake dark comment and the other can go 'Shut the gently caress up you dolt!'.

Compare that to, say DarkSydePhil literally going "Ching chong dong eat dog!" whenever an asian person appears in a game he is playing. Even if it -was- a parody of racist tropes (which is likely not), there's no one to call him on it and actually make it into a joke, so it just...sits there and rots, like a dead fish thrown in someone's face.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Anti-Citizen posted:

So bad news, one of the members of Skeptic Feminist may have killed someone, there's a lot of drama going on right now, and this going to be a shitstorm. It's not Haley from the channel is about all that's known but there's a gently caress tun of rumors flying around right now.

They're going to get nasty.

https://medium.com/@_Amora_/feminist-youtuber-the-skeptic-feminist-arrested-for-allegedly-killing-a-woman-in-colorado-a0796f4bd958

who is this and why does anyone care

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

boner confessor posted:

who is this and why does anyone care

One of the hosts of the better YouTube channels, they generally were hosting Contra's debates for them, they seemed like all right people.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Low Desert Punk posted:

What is it about gaming that attracts this type of ideology anyway? It's not like every other traditionally "nerdy" hobby is just as toxic and horrible, gaming is by far the worst, with maybe comics at second place.

Gaming attracts nerdy people. Nerdy people are frequently ostracized by pro-social, socially acclimated people. This ostracization makes said nerdy people protective of any safe spaces (ironic, I know) they find; it also makes them fairly easy marks for Stormfront and similar. It's people who have always been treated like outcasts but have never developed the self-awareness necessary to dig themselves out and they feed on eachother. They're probably very isolated - self-imposed and not - and have no influences to the contrary. It's compounding self-loathing that becomes externalized. It's really just very sad.

There seem to be a lot of goons who don't understand this fairly simple concept, which is surprising to say the least.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Anti-Citizen posted:

One of the hosts of the better YouTube channels, they generally were hosting Contra's debates for them, they seemed like all right people.

lol so like the way they claim that all black crime is because of black culture they'll now claim that this guys crime is because of feminism and every feminist is just like him. Seems like a Carlgonian method of reasoning.

Also this is bad news how? The guy commited a crime and went to jail, nobody's going to say THIS WAS BECAUSE OF ALL X IDEOLOGY LKDSALKDSLSAD unless it's the usual Carl the Retard squad.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 16, 2017

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Lazy Game Reviews is a good channel but he mostly focuses on old games. He seems to know what's toxic and stays far away from it.

Gggmanlives is alright most of the time but gets into anti-SJW poo poo on occasion. I used to be all for making fun of them too but then Nazis ruined that and everyone who isn't completely insane is an SJW in their opinion. He's reviewed racist Doom mods before and the general response is that they're horrible but tongue in cheek so don't get upset. I think a better attitude would be to just ignore them no matter how much your fans beg. The Doom mod community is much better at policing itself than just about any other, it's 4Chan offshoots that are producing this poo poo.

I used to watch Gggmanlives a lot. I felt like he got more and more pissy about that stuff, but I'd kept on with it because his content was legitimately interesting. But once I noticed him acting like a childish moron in his comment sections in a couple videos, I said enough is enough and unsubscribed - I've no intention to touch it again. I can't really recommend him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

Back when I was first learning about what the heck an SJW (supposedly) is, I also learned about this group called the Rabid Puppies.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/hugo-awards-celebrate-women-in-sci-fi-send-rabid-puppi-1785558867

There's nothing really special about gaming. It's just very popular right now in a way sci-fi and comics (actual comics, not movies) aren't.

I'm a nerd who in most ways fit the criteria of your typical reactionary. White, in my 20s, , socially awkward, play video games and read genre fiction a lot. The only thing that makes someone go down the wrong path is who they hang with. Sadly, in the age of the Internet, it's all too easy for isolated and bitter people to fall in with the wrong crowd.

I suppose if I went to psychoanalyze myself and my fellows, it's because we identify with our fiction in lieu of identifying with other people. We don't want some stranger telling us our comics and our video games are bad and wrong because they are everything we believe in.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Leigh Alexander does Let's Plays of old adventure games sometimes on youtube and I don't think she is very pro-GG

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 16, 2017

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I never realised what an awesome laugh Markiplier has. It's simultaneously infectious and the kind of laugh an evil genius would have.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Laurentheflute has possibly the best laugh ever.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Samovar posted:

Rich Evans has possibly the best laugh ever.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ignoring the content of their arguments which I tend to agree with, I always found skeptic feminist nearly unwatchable in a way that contrapoints isn't. There's a frankness to contra that the former doesn't have. They have like a manufactured edginess to them that always came off looking silly. If I had to guess who in the online anti-reactionary community would kill someone it would be Coughlin, and then a member of skeptic feminist.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Oneyplays is fun if you enjoy lowbrow all around silliness.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Archer666 posted:

Ding dong and Julian are a treasure

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Uh...wth is Laci Green doing?

"actually racists and sexists are right about a lot of things if you take the time to engage them and learn from their perspective, here's a cherry picked example of political correctness out of control. So much for the tolerant left... "

Archer666 posted:

I kind of made assumptions about oneyplays when I saw they used a caricature of Brianna Wu looking like a frankenstein as a thumbnail for one of their LPs.

Like, it's not illegal or anything, but if you know who she is and think making fun of her looks is a good goof, it potentially says a lot about your associations.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 16, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Deified Data posted:

"actually racists and sexists are right about a lot of things if you take the time to engage them and learn from their perspective, here's a cherry picked example of political correctness out of control. So much for the tolerant left... "

She wants that alt right sellout money.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deified Data posted:

She got her start with new atheism, so maybe she was always partially one of the rationals underneath. That all gave me a huge eyebrow-raise, but I'll wait and see who she chooses to engage and what they talk about. I can't imagine there are many internet reactionaries who wouldn't drop the mask immediately, or even many who haven't preemptively expressed hatred of her.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Archer666 posted:

Their episode on Game Grumps was life change. EGGS FOR BAAAART

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

She got her start with new atheism, so maybe she was always partially one of the rationals underneath. That all gave me a huge eyebrow-raise, but I'll wait and see who she chooses to engage and what they talk about. I can't imagine there are many internet reactionaries who wouldn't drop the mask immediately, or even many who haven't preemptively expressed hatred of her.

I can see it maybe being a honeypot to attract more nazis to the table for the purposes of debating them (if everyone hates you they're not going to pretend to debate you in bad faith I guess?)...but I've seen as much inexplicable hate for Green as I've seen for Anita Sarkeesian and I don't know what she expects to gain from this. The alt-right to suddenly put down their pitchforks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
If a youtuber starts to change their content, check their channel on social blade to gauge its health. Laci Green isn't someone i've heard of before but she has been losing subs almost every month for a year. Since that red pill video she has gained ten thousand subscriptions.

Anywayyyy I don't usually watch political youtube videos but an American buddy linked a video of one of these loving morons just after trump was elected. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8XzRKOem8 I bookmarked it just to check back after a few months...

oh

its delisted :discourse:

• Locked thread