Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Imagined posted:

Anybody planning on buying Street Fighter 2 on yet another system soon?

Nope, I already own like 13 versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imagined posted:

:yeah: 2-player SF2 whenever and wherever I want is too good to pass up. It's pretty cool how much classic games are improved by being on a mobile device with 2 built-in controllers. More arcade ports please.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I don't think I've ever purchased a sf outside of third strike on the dream cast. Time to get back in!!!!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Imagined posted:

I want it but I'll wait for a sale. I'm glad they let you play with the classic graphics this time since the "HD Remix" graphics make the game look like a lovely flash game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
One thing that's kinda neat with BotW and the Master Sword is how your beam attack range apparently increases based on your max hearts though I never really use the move because that means not dodging something and then tapping in to the speed force to counter combo it. :black101:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's not Wal-Mart, though. It's a third party seller via their website.

I hate this so much. It made checking Walmart stores for Switch stock impossible because you'd keep getting pages for 'in stock' resellers.

Kashuno posted:

same but Majora's Mask

This a million times.

Majora's mask isn't a great game. It's not even a great Legend of Zelda game.

Tender Bender posted:

I see people saying this a lot, do you realize that the sledgehammer does massive damage to their ore weak spot? Or do you mean they still take too long?

They take too long or just get a bit tedious, especially the ice ones. I haven't bothered fighting them since after I cleared the Gerudo DB so the move from that probably trivializes them like everything else. :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

We all got super drunk at my work conference last night and ended up back in my hotel room having a Mario Kart tournament and it was awesome

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Baby park is a fun map but it's not good. No ramps to fly off of, can't fall off map, nothing to get stuck on.

300cc SNES Rainbow Road on the other hand...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Baby Park 200cc triple green shells only.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Ok for real though let's drop this running gag about liking Baby Park because it is actually hell

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hell good

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zelder posted:

Dk mountain (originally in double dash and returning in wii kart), and I don't care what the other three are

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really like the N64 DK one with the huge rear end jump and that cave at the end where you can slide up the wall.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

Baby park is a fun map but it's not good. No ramps to fly off of, can't fall off map, nothing to get stuck on.

300cc SNES Rainbow Road on the other hand...

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Ok for real though let's drop this running gag about liking Baby Park because it is actually hell

two really bad opinions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My son just came up with a Mario Kart course. It's a hot dog. And it is straight, there are no curves or loops. And the only way to win is to figure out how to get out of the hot dog.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

My son just came up with a Mario Kart course. It's a hot dog. And it is straight, there are no curves or loops. And the only way to win is to figure out how to get out of the hot dog.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Kashuno posted:

two really bad opinions.

You saying SNES Rainbow Road isn't better than Baby Park?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Baby Park 200cc triple green shells only.

Baby Park 200cc blue shells only. :supaburn:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Meridian posted:

I lost my entire day to Minecraft yesterday. Anybody else pick it up? I could use some advice on spicing up my fort's exits and it would be more fun to have someone wander around my world than post screenshots.
I've been playing Minecraft on the Switch, please add my friend code if I don't already have yours: 3755 - 9383 - 6891
I have a pretty good setup at spawn so feel free to join, multiplayer makes the game way more fun

Minecraft on the Switch is currently a little disappointing, don't get me wrong it's the best portable version of the game and overall it's fine and playable.
But when docked it's still only 720p and the framerate fluctuates quite a bit. Also I've had the game crash a couple times..
No doubt the game will receive several updates throughout the future so hopefully these issues will be addressed

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Somebody brought up escalating difficulty in a Zelda game and I think there's a lot to this.

For a very long time, maybe even since the begining, difficulty in The Legend of Zelda de-escalates as the game progresses. At least in terms of survival. You gain hearts and items that allow you to shrug off enemies that had to have some measure of caution taken. This is part of the central theme of TLoZ: environmental mastery through exploration. The world and it's dangers get less threatening as you play. The previous games dealt with this by upping the challenge in the puzzles found in dungeons.

This is, in my opinion, one of the things that Breath of the Wild struggles with. Don't get me wrong, I think it's an absolute masterpiece of design, and I love it dearly. It has quickly supplanted Twilight Princess as my favorite game in the franchise. However, I think that due to the open air nature of the game, they opted to back away from really escalating the challenges of the shrines. This just leaves the challenge of the overworld. Breath of the Wild is extremely, rewardingly difficult early on, but the Link Immortality Singularity is still there. Granted, it comes much later than in previous games, and can be delayed by turning off the boons your dead friends give you, but it is still there.

What I want to see in future Zeldos is the same vast, amazing world to explore (give me the Twilight Realm, or Termina please), but with vast complex dungeons that may require multiple trips before I'm able to complete them. Make each dungeon its own, vast, haunted ecosystem of mounting dread as you plumb its depths.

But also yeah, add DK Mountain to MK8.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What I want to see in future Zeldos is the same vast, amazing world to explore (give me the Twilight Realm, or Termina please), but with vast complex dungeons that may require multiple trips before I'm able to complete them. Make each dungeon its own, vast, haunted ecosystem of mounting dread as you plumb its depths.

Aside from the vast world thing, this is already Skyward Sword. Except instead of haunted you have kikwis. And instead of dread you get... pretty colors?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

.TakaM posted:

I've been playing Minecraft on the Switch, please add my friend code if I don't already have yours: 3755 - 9383 - 6891
I have a pretty good setup at spawn so feel free to join, multiplayer makes the game way more fun

Minecraft on the Switch is currently a little disappointing, don't get me wrong it's the best portable version of the game and overall it's fine and playable.
But when docked it's still only 720p and the framerate fluctuates quite a bit. Also I've had the game crash a couple times..
No doubt the game will receive several updates throughout the future so hopefully these issues will be addressed

Its hard to improve the performance when Minecraft's core engine is just so sloppy. Looking through the codebase its super obvious it was a one-man organic project that grew over years and not something a skilled team put together.

Ports have probably re-written some of that to improve things, but I doubt a lot of the major stuff like how the game handles chunks would be altered, and that stuff is pretty bloated.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I thought notch's original version was in Java and then they have rewritten the entire game in C++?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The devs said the reason it's 720p when also docked is because they can't figure out how to smoothly change the resolution between docked and undocked.:lol:

It's not because of the Switch's power according to them.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I think Shovel Knight had the same issue when it first released on the Switch, so they should figure it out eventually

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's great that the Switch is getting a lot of indie ports, buy part of the problem with indie ports is that they're usually done by small teams who don't have a whole lot of time for optimization. They're concerned with getting it to work as well as they can in the two-three months they have to get it out the door. Factor in poor code bases and unfamiliar hardware and you end up with replicable slowdown issues in Binding of Issac and Minecraft.

As the hardware matures and more games are made and release with the Switch in mind, these issues will become less frequent. Plus, previously released games may even recieve updates fixing them (I fully expect the first booster pack for BoI to fix the toxic shock and corner snapping spider bugs, since those should both be quite easy tweaks). Minecraft will probably not get any huge fixes, though.

Personally I'm just extremely happy to have versions of games I love on portable hardware, and that can be played with what is now my favorite controller of all time (sorry, Steam Controller, as flexible and ergonomic as you are, you'll never beat reclining with split joycons).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

andipossess posted:

Aside from the vast world thing, this is already Skyward Sword. Except instead of haunted you have kikwis. And instead of dread you get... pretty colors?

Dread isn't a palette.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Game news!

:siren: Switch Patch 2.3.0 is live! :siren:
Same old boring 'general stability' patch notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeP7Q5iZfqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HTS7adnpW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUURmyKeYiI

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

It's a shame that the online system is not ready yet. I feel it would add significant value to Mario Kart 8, especially for those who have bought it for a second time.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
I'm taking my Switch with me on a flight this weekend, I'll probably pick up some chicks or a hot bus with it.

Is there a goon approved portable battery for the Switch? I'd like to pick one up for my flight.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lord Grundle posted:

I'm taking my Switch with me on a flight this weekend, I'll probably pick up some chicks or a hot bus with it.

Is there a goon approved portable battery for the Switch? I'd like to pick one up for my flight.

https://youtu.be/47zvIJ8A4P0

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
When's VC

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagined posted:

its going to be unplayable online with capcom's netcode talent and majority of players on wifi. players who like sf2 are playing ST on fightcade with each other right now for free with great online.

compared with the neogeo fighting games on switch already for 1/4th the price of usf2 and the fact that most people that buy it aren't actually going to stick with it and are just getting it as a nostalgia thing or a party game, it will probably be a ghost town online quickly. i don't see the value.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

never

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

When's the browser? I want to surf on my Switch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I want to surf on my Switch.

california games confirmed as first and only vc title

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

give me street fighter II turbo on VC

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lord Grundle posted:

Tender Bender posted:

For portable charging, you'll want something that can output from a USB C port to gain a charge while playing. Anything from an old A port will just slow your battery drain. I got a decent RAVPower one off Amazon for about 40 bucks that works great.

Edit: This guy on reddit has tested some power banks and wall warts, like not just using them but also using equipment to measure exact voltage or whatever. He's got some recommendations that are a bit pricey, like I said I went for a weaker RAVPower and am doing just fine. You can check his spreadsheet to see how well different price points function.

For cables be sure to get the ones that are vetted by that Google guy Benson. All the cables the reddit guy recommends fit that category.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

When did the Wii U game pad get so loving big??

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's a neat idea. It would go well with some other ones I thought up for a Sandwich Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lord Grundle posted:

The Anker 20100 battery works great, even the older USB A version. That one is $35, but the USB PD version that will charge you faster/give you more charge faster during a game is like $65. I'm super happy with the USB A version, and I gain some battery while playing Zelda.

• Locked thread