Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Accidentally got Persia up to 142% discipline. There will be no treaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I am pathetically going full :f5: waiting for the new Meiou and Taxes.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

My mind knows it's a terrible idea, but that map* is wonderful...

*Africa is an ugly mess

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Demiurge4 posted:

:same:

So very much.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Doing Switzerlake--should I stay a republic or go monarchy?

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Mr. Fowl posted:

Doing Switzerlake--should I stay a republic or go monarchy?

I'd say stay a republic for sure, it's what I did. I also found it easier to go after Italy first, rather than my previous failed attempts of going north into Germany early on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AnoHito posted:

My mind knows it's a terrible idea, but that map* is wonderful...

Personally I don't understand how Paradox hasn't fixed their ridiculous map yet. For god's sake move to a real projection, rather than the smushed up board game layout.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

thatdarnedbob posted:

For my African Power, I stayed Fetishist, went Humanist, and didn't bother doing vassal feeding if I was keeping up on admin tech and fighting enough wars. This choice was partially because a bad earlier try where I went Catholic and Portugal let me know that I didn't deserve my mega-vassals by ramming a 60 stack up my nose. I think that most idea group choices are fine as long as you take Exploration first and acknowledge that at some point you're going to have to hold your own against Iberia/the Ottomans for a bit.
Ever since they moved the first idea to Admin tech 5, if I am planning on doing heavy colonizing early as a country with a questionable economy or as someone that has to maintain a large military/wants to keep conquering, I go with Exploration with my second idea pick at Admin tech 7 so I can get farther ahead on Diplo Tech (you need Diplo tech 7 for a huge Colonization range boost) and it gives me more time to get my economy up and running. When I try African Power again I will probably go Econ first because I expect to be poor, have inflation from gold mines, and need to develop for Institutions.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

This rules!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

So, with the way balance and stuff seems to be going, and me already having a bunch of cheevos, I thought I might eventually get into mods for EUIV.

Is that a good one then?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Randarkman posted:

So, with the way balance and stuff seems to be going, and me already having a bunch of cheevos, I thought I might eventually get into mods for EUIV.

Is that a good one then?

It's a pretty huge overhaul mod, likely harder than the base game. It's about economics, and population, having features such famines, plagues, floodings, and estates that actually do something. It'll likely take a lot of getting used to - a lot of the base game knowledge doesn't apply anymore. (for example, monarch points aren't nearly as vital as they are in the base game, and money is a LOT tighter)

I like extended timeline personally, but it kind of throws balance out of the window entirely after a few hundred years.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tahirovic posted:

Forming a new Nation/Tag really interacts horribly with events and achievements, at least they partially fixed ideas for it.

I'm the Tabarestan rushing to eat the Persia that popped out of the Timurids hoping that I did it fast enough that I don't miss any Persian events before the AI got them.

(not sure if that is actually a problem)

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So the new MEIOU is out, but I don't remember my password for the Pdox forums.
I try resetting it, it will say that it sent an email, and then 5 seconds later display an error message. No email arrives so :shrug:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

IAmThatIs posted:

I try resetting it, it will say that it sent an email, and then 5 seconds later display an error message. No email arrives so :shrug:

Yeah that's just amazing. Having the same problem. Why is that subforum hidden unless logged in again? Ugh...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Oman is so boring. You can take Hormuz right away. Yemen drains your manpower, making others declare war on you. Najd is allied to the Mamluks. Baluchistan can't be attacked because you'll be warned by the Timurids. No one except OPMs want to ally you. The only chance you have is attacking Baluchistan and hoping Timurids won't answer their warning due to revolts and other malus.

No way in hell am I going to even consider The Third Way with Pate or Mzab.

Node fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 15, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ever since they moved the first idea to Admin tech 5, if I am planning on doing heavy colonizing early as a country with a questionable economy or as someone that has to maintain a large military/wants to keep conquering, I go with Exploration with my second idea pick at Admin tech 7 so I can get farther ahead on Diplo Tech (you need Diplo tech 7 for a huge Colonization range boost) and it gives me more time to get my economy up and running. When I try African Power again I will probably go Econ first because I expect to be poor, have inflation from gold mines, and need to develop for Institutions.

Yeah I think I'm restarting my African Power, I think I'm good territory wise, but corruption/inflation/loans is killing my by a thousand cuts. I'm at 3.6k in loans, 24 corruption, 3/2/2 behind in tech... You really need economic, also doubling down on Expansion and Exploration might have been a mistake; since you destroy all of the central africans, colonization doesn't need to rush (not to mention 3 colonies at once are costly). It's a pity, cause I managed to spawn Colonization in my capital. Oh well.

As an aside, playing non European is my favourite thing when you reveal Europe: in this run, Spain has conquered all of France and parts of England (plus most of Italy), Ottomans have all the Balkans/Hungary/bits of Austria, while Russia has finished annexing Commonwealth and starting on the HRE. I managed to ally Ottomans, but UberSpain and Portugal were going to kill me anyway eventually, I guess.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

In my Brunei->Malaya game my Europe somehow has both a TO->Prussia and a Kurland, along with a Russia with PUs over Burgundy and Hungary.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

Oman is so boring. You can take Hormuz right away. Yemen drains your manpower, making others declare war on you. Najd is allied to the Mamluks. Baluchistan can't be attacked because you'll be warned by the Timurids. No one except OPMs want to ally you. The only chance you have is attacking Baluchistan and hoping Timurids won't answer their warning due to revolts and other malus.

No way in hell am I going to even consider The Third Way with Pate or Mzab.

Oman's just like any other minor power. Punch the ones smaller than you and wait for the ones that are protected by bigger nations to lose their protection. Najd will lose its protection when the Ottomans come to kick the poo poo out of the Mamluks and Baluchistan will lose its protection because the Timurids will find themselves in a hell war or implode so they won't accept the CTA. Maybe you just don't like playing minors?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Eej posted:

Oman's just like any other minor power. Punch the ones smaller than you and wait for the ones that are protected by bigger nations to lose their protection. Najd will lose its protection when the Ottomans come to kick the poo poo out of the Mamluks and Baluchistan will lose its protection because the Timurids will find themselves in a hell war or implode so they won't accept the CTA. Maybe you just don't like playing minors?

I guess I don't like relying on luck as a minor. On my recent attempt, I took a chunk out of Yemen, and then Persia formed and immediately guaranteed Baluchistan, so that was doomed. My only avenues for attack are the Horn of Africa (bordering close to a big Ethiopia.) I can eat Najd, but that leaves me with Iraq to attack, who is allied to the Ottomans after that.

Of course I can cheat and become a Ming tributary and never get attacked, but its so loving stupid and boring that the game has a built in declaration of war immunity in it that it just drains my will to play. Yes, I am aware that I don't need to exploit that.

Node fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 16, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I never knew how much I'd miss that free diplomacy slot until it was gone. It's near-impossible to get good alliances anymore because the AI trends towards getting as many alliances as possible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

Yeah I think I'm restarting my African Power, I think I'm good territory wise, but corruption/inflation/loans is killing my by a thousand cuts. I'm at 3.6k in loans, 24 corruption, 3/2/2 behind in tech... You really need economic, also doubling down on Expansion and Exploration might have been a mistake; since you destroy all of the central africans, colonization doesn't need to rush (not to mention 3 colonies at once are costly). It's a pity, cause I managed to spawn Colonization in my capital. Oh well.

As an aside, playing non European is my favourite thing when you reveal Europe: in this run, Spain has conquered all of France and parts of England (plus most of Italy), Ottomans have all the Balkans/Hungary/bits of Austria, while Russia has finished annexing Commonwealth and starting on the HRE. I managed to ally Ottomans, but UberSpain and Portugal were going to kill me anyway eventually, I guess.
Oh yikes yeah that sounds rough. My run never had that much corruption or loans and I managed to get Colonialism by forming a colonial nation in Brazil (which I set free the second I got the institution because Portugal and Spain were looking at me funny). I stayed Fetishist and think next time I will go Catholic for the Papal Boons or whatever they are. I am pretty impressed that you managed to spawn Colonialism in Africa.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Of course on the run I'm doing Baltic Crusader, Muscovy would ally with the Ottomans :suicide:

So much for finishing it quickly. Sometimes it feels like all roads lead to Istanbul; every other achievement seems to end there.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

IAmThatIs posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9bpv3lg9jl597dm/M%26T_v1.99.01.7z

Check that you haven't subscribed to it on Steam Workshop.
Got to your \My Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod\ folder.
Delete the previous version.
Decompress the 7zip archive you downloaded.
Place the meiouandtaxes1 folder and the meiouandtaxes1.mod file in that mod folder.
Launch the game and enjoy !

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wow all these little shits in the HRE are a pain to manage. Constant war / peacekeeping. I may just start keeping the extra provinces that keep going back and forth...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Redmark posted:

Of course on the run I'm doing Baltic Crusader, Muscovy would ally with the Ottomans :suicide:

So much for finishing it quickly. Sometimes it feels like all roads lead to Istanbul; every other achievement seems to end there.

Don't despair. I'm doing a Wallachia run and am doing well after initially having a similar problem. After decades of waiting, I finally had enough favors with my allies to attack the Ottomans, but lo and behold they suddenly allied Muscovy barely a few months before I was ready to attack. It's just a matter of patience and hitting them at the right moment. In my case I waited until the Ottomans got entangled invading Persia, so I attacked with my allies and focused on Muscovy first and peaced them out at the first opportunity. Then when I beat the Ottomans I made sure to force them to break alliance with Muscovy. It's been smooth sailing since.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 16, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wow all these little shits in the HRE are a pain to manage. Constant war / peacekeeping. I may just start keeping the extra provinces that keep going back and forth...

You really only need OPMs, but just don't piss everyone off irrevocably.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

I never knew how much I'd miss that free diplomacy slot until it was gone. It's near-impossible to get good alliances anymore because the AI trends towards getting as many alliances as possible.

I am still playing one patch behind that, it's not like they actually fixed Ming, so why bother with that. I'll upgrade to a newer patch if it really fixes Ming and makes Asia more fun again.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mountaineer posted:

they suddenly allied Muscovy barely a few months before I was ready to attack

I swear to god the AI knows when I'm planning to attack it and finds a superpower ally right before I'm ready every time. I'm doing an Uncommonwealth run right now. Haven't had any luck getting a claim on Poland's throne - the only time they had a weak heir they had a queen regent who counts as a different dynasty even though the kid is a Jagellion - so when the Ottomans attacked them I broke our alliance leaving them with only a minor or two and started building up my military to invade them. I kept tabs on their diplo status and they didn't find anyone else until I went to declare on them and oh look now they're allied to France. :argh:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 16, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Redmark posted:

Well at least you're not playing in 1.17 against Super Lithuania. Just stack mil ideas and policies, and attack before they catch up due to slow institution spread.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AI Prussia just formed. In 1531.

:ohdear:

Also, I've never seen England fail their War of the Roses before, ending up with the Clintons and a ton of bad stuff happening to them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

THE BAR posted:

Also, I've never seen England fail their War of the Roses before, ending up with the Clintons and a ton of bad stuff happening to them.

Looking forward to hearing about when Bush takes over and launches an invasion of the Ottomans when he hears they're teching up their cannons

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Mali is pretty good for colonization. Grabbed the entirety of South America, and are now colonizing the African interior. Cutting off all trade from Africa to Europe owns. Sevilla is at about 10 in value versus Ivory Coast at 80 lmbo gently caress of ghost faces this spice is ours

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

You really only need OPMs, but just don't piss everyone off irrevocably.
I just took one low-dev province for myself so I could convert it before I set it free and it was only like 6 AE. I have incredible Better Relations Over Time and still have three electors as subjects, so I may spend a couple decades trying to get things to calm down in the Empire by taking the excess land here and there.

Its 1675ish and I just took the gold mine in Bashikiria from Russia and the Ottomans are my bitch - I have actually stopped attacking them so I can keep them as a Rival because as the #1 power (+25), Privateering (+10), Completing Age Objectives (+9), Embargoing (+3), and one other factor that is not decaying (Long Time Rival (+5)?), I can rest at +1 of each MP without fighting, which, to me, is arguably more valuable than more off-culture land that I cannot necessarily make into states. I have been waiting for them to crush Persia and/or push into the Horn of Africa and/or Arabia to gobble more development up but I think they are too scared of me to attack anyone.

Nosfereefer posted:

Mali is pretty good for colonization. Grabbed the entirety of South America, and are now colonizing the African interior. Cutting off all trade from Africa to Europe owns. Sevilla is at about 10 in value versus Ivory Coast at 80 lmbo gently caress of ghost faces this spice is ours
How did you beat the Europeans? I was never able to get ahead enough to be able to beat up Spain or Portugal to the point that I could own South America. Then again I'm bad at Mali.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

How did you beat the Europeans? I was never able to get ahead enough to be able to beat up Spain or Portugal to the point that I could own South America. Then again I'm bad at Mali.

Turns out the AI doesn't handle intercontinental wars that well, especially tropical ones. Spain will send in 25k stacks at a time, which are easy to destroy immediately. Fighting in the Amazons is pretty great due to the distances involved. France can spend years wandering through the jungle, dying of tropical diseases.

[edit] also iberia is filled with scrubs in the latest updates? Hit South America by 1530's, being the first to do so.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Do AI lucky nations change depending on the player pick ? Twice now as Kongo, Spain has eaten France by the time I met them - early 1500s. When I play in Europe, France is unstoppable the entire game.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
If you're using historical lucky nations they're the same every time. Spain and France are both lucky. France can be somewhat fragile in the very early game if they get jumped from multiple sides, and before they get their +20% morale idea.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
After years playing this game I have finally killed the honorable part of me that feels compelled to help allies in wars. To be successful in this game you should never ever win a war for an ally unless the effort expended is minimal. And not even join wars that you are not certain your allies can win by themselves. Trust hit be damned. Getting sieged by doomstacks because an ally started wars involving major powers is not a recipe for success.

Wierdly, the best allies in the HRE is the free cities. Everyone else seems to start stupid costly wars every 5 years.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It helps greatly that CNs actually progress on their own now. If you want them to attack natives, mark them as "provinces of interest" and they'll do their thing without your help, it's great.
This makes it rather easy to lock down a whole continent.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why the gently caress are random European countries and their American colonies getting claims on my core provinces in southeast Africa? Like I keep getting Florida has a claim on Mozambique, or English West Indies have a claim on my capital (Kilwa).

Oh, and just as I thought I might have a decent game going as an African country by allying the Ottomans, they're getting their poo poo kicked in by an Austrian blob, who is allied with England, Saxony, Nassau, Aragon, the Papal State, Holland and Russia. gently caress too many relations penalties, I guess.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

eXXon posted:

Why the gently caress are random European countries and their American colonies getting claims on my core provinces in southeast Africa? Like I keep getting Florida has a claim on Mozambique, or English West Indies have a claim on my capital (Kilwa).
When anyone completes Exploration they get the capstone "Can fabricate claim overseas in colonial regions" ; when they complete Expansion they get the capstone "Can fabricate claim overseas in trade company regions.". They may also get a mission but I imagine it is their ideas.

eXXon posted:

Oh, and just as I thought I might have a decent game going as an African country by allying the Ottomans, they're getting their poo poo kicked in by an Austrian blob, who is allied with England, Saxony, Nassau, Aragon, the Papal State, Holland and Russia. gently caress too many relations penalties, I guess.
Austria gets a bonus relation slot in their National Ideas and they are programmed to be like to take idea sets that give them more slots, and get poo poo for being the Emperor of the HRE too, I think. I believe you can look at their diplomacy screen to see how many they have and why.

• Locked thread