Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Reposting from the Ad thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Huh?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
[IMG]itisachuckjoke.jpg[/IMG]

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I would kind of like to see them show a scene of Chuck getting his EM sensitivity for the first time. I imagine it's brought on by Jimmy doing something good for himself or Hamlin giving him praise or something.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I would kind of like to see them show a scene of Chuck getting his EM sensitivity for the first time. I imagine it's brought on by Jimmy doing something good for himself or Hamlin giving him praise or something.

We don't know the timeline of it yet right? It would make perfect sense if it first started manifesting when Jimmy got the mailroom job, started off manageable, then continued to grow and went absolutely off the rails when Jimmy passed the bar.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think it's safe to assume that his wife finally got sick of his poo poo. His poo poo being unable to admit fault, even the slightest bit like leaving the seat up.

Combine that with long buried 'but precious Jimmy!' daddy/mommy issues, and you have yourself a rubber room candidate.

I would put it at even odds we see that scene.

Having said that, I would like to have at least one bathing suit scene so we can see Kim's massive donk she's been hiding in her suits.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Herv posted:

I think it's safe to assume that his wife finally got sick of his poo poo. His poo poo being unable to admit fault, even the slightest bit like leaving the seat up.

Combine that with long buried 'but precious Jimmy!' daddy/mommy issues, and you have yourself a rubber room candidate.

I think so too. Chuck suffers from being an aggressively boring person and the two of them probably drifted apart. Since Chuck lets things get to him and doesn't let them go there was probably a mountain of little things he said/did that made her want to be separated.

It wouldn't surprise me though if she defended or praised Jimmy during one late night conversation that ended up getting eternally stuck in his craw.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Karmine posted:

We don't know the timeline of it yet right? It would make perfect sense if it first started manifesting when Jimmy got the mailroom job, started off manageable, then continued to grow and went absolutely off the rails when Jimmy passed the bar.

Yeah I have a miserable memory when it comes to events and timelines of tv shows, but I thought Chuck was fine when Jimmy started working in the mail room? I like the idea that this coincided with Rebecca leaving, and the storm of Chucks miserableness and Jimmy's success brought it on slowly. I think it would be worthwhile for them to show it happening, however they decide to do it.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I thought Chuck was fine when Jimmy started working in the mail room?

Maybe he only SEEMED fine though!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I would like to see a flashback at some point from before he got sick showing Chuck as a brilliant lawyer. They don't really NEED to do something like that to establish him, we already know he's well-respected, but it would be kind of neat to see him at his best for the contrast with his breakdown on the stand.

(I think there was one where he walked in and told Jimmy he was going to help get him out of prison, but I don't remember us seeing him actually arguing in court. I could have forgotten it, though)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Karmine posted:

Maybe he only SEEMED fine though!

He seemed to be doing perfectly okay when Jimmy was in the mailroom. Nothing suggests otherwise. He was perfectly fine with his laptop and dictation machine, which he was using when Jimmy gave him the news that he passed the bar.

There's a bit of an issue with the timeline as to when Chuck's marital problems started occurring, but I don't think Jimmy in the mailroom was the catalyst. If anything, this would only ad to Chuck's superiority complex. He saved his worthless brother and now he's working some lovely job in his law firm.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 15, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
From a psychological standpoint Chuck's wife leaving him would be the type of catalyst to trigger psychosomatic symptoms. Knowing Chuck, blaming panic attacks on electromagnetism would be within the realm of possibility.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

vermin posted:

It wouldn't surprise me though if she defended or praised Jimmy during one late night conversation that ended up getting eternally stuck in his craw.

yeah, I got the impression during that dinner scene that she's neutral on Jimmy.

Not gung ho or "pro-Jimmy". Like, on a personal level she probably thinks he's a bit too low brow, a bit too flamboyant, but she doesn't think he's a bad person - just someone she probably wouldn't have over for dinner if there wasn't a familial connection, but not an active dislike.

I could see stuff like her sharing dirty jokes with Jimmy really riling Chuck up. It's not enough for her to be like "Yeah, he's a slacker copy boy and kind of annoying but he can be fun in small doses". She has to really look down on him.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I would like to see a flashback at some point from before he got sick showing Chuck as a brilliant lawyer. They don't really NEED to do something like that to establish him, we already know he's well-respected, but it would be kind of neat to see him at his best for the contrast with his breakdown on the stand.

(I think there was one where he walked in and told Jimmy he was going to help get him out of prison, but I don't remember us seeing him actually arguing in court. I could have forgotten it, though)

Actually, not needing to go to court is a sign of a good lawyer... have a little chit-chat with Petty-And-A-Prior, and the first and last time you interact with a judge is mutually agreeing to a plea. (Or never making it to the judge because you convince the prosecutor not to charge at all)

Trials are expensive - a good lawyer generally shouldn't be constantly arguing in court, because most of their cases shouldn't make it that far.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 15, 2017

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Chuck gets mad when anyone likes Jimmy.

I want another episode to open with Chuck mad because Jimmy was liked by his own drat mother.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Educated stab at the timeline wrt jimmy/wife/crazy:

Chuck saves Jimmy from the sunroof making GBS threads incident, makes him come to ABQ and work for his firm
Rebecca, who hasn't met jimmy before, or at least not in a long while, finds him decent and likeable, which gnaws at Chuck, especially since Jimmy is now an ongoing presence in his daily life
Chuck begins to resent her for not finding Jimmy as loathsome as he does; this causes the marriage to suffer increasingly over time
About the time the marriage difficulties become too great to ignore, Jimmy walks into Chuck's office with his bar admission letter
At home that night, Rebecca probably thinks that's great and asks why they couldn't have hired him, Chuck either tells her the truth and she thinks he's a massive prick, OR he blames Hamlin and she thinks Hamlin's a massive prick; either way she has doubted the wise and mighty Chuck and the marriage's downhill trend immediately gets ten times steeper
First panic attack, beginnings of his "condition"

Anyway. I love how the final thing that gets him to snap in the courtroom isn't, directly, anything Jimmy says or does, but the prosecuting attorney being like "but Mr. McGill's mental illness is not the issue!"

That was the moment where someone who matters actually called him crazy, in public. The doctor just said it in a dark room to him, Jimmy, and Kim, but now the guy who's nominally on his side put it on the record in a hearing. It's in the wild and not going back in the bag.

Javid fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 15, 2017

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Javid posted:

Educated stab at the timeline wrt jimmy/wife/crazy:

Chuck saves Jimmy from the sunroof making GBS threads incident, makes him come to ABQ and work for his firm
Rebecca, who hasn't met jimmy before, or at least not in a long while, finds him decent and likeable, which gnaws at Chuck, especially since Jimmy is now an ongoing presence in his daily life
Chuck begins to resent her for not finding Jimmy as loathsome as he does; this causes the marriage to suffer increasingly over time
About the time the marriage difficulties become too great to ignore, Jimmy walks into Chuck's office with his bar admission letter
At home that night, Rebecca probably thinks that's great and asks why they couldn't have hired him, Chuck either tells her the truth and she thinks he's a massive prick, OR he blames Hamlin and she thinks Hamlin's a massive prick; either way she has doubted the wise and mighty Chuck and the marriage's downhill trend immediately gets ten times steeper
First panic attack, beginnings of his "condition"

Or maybe it's even Rebecca's idea for Chuck to hire Jimmy: "Help him get this thing all straightened out and then bring him back here where you can keep an eye on him and help him out if something else happens. I know--give him a job at your firm!" Or something like that, but putting it in a way that would appeal to his ego.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Actually, not needing to go to court is a sign of a good lawyer... have a little chit-chat with Petty-And-A-Prior, and the first and last time you interact with a judge is mutually agreeing to a plea. (Or never making it to the judge because you convince the prosecutor not to charge at all)

Trials are expensive - a good lawyer generally shouldn't be constantly arguing in court, because most of their cases shouldn't make it that far.

I'd be OK with something like that too. I just think it would be neat to get a flashback of Chuck in action at the top of his game.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
"I hosed Jimmy"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don't think there's been any evidence that Rebecca/Chucks break is Jimmys fault. They mention on the podcast that they were "already cooling" by the dinner. I think he was more just a convenient scapegoat for Chuck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I'm sure public defenders have payment arranged by the court well before you ever receive their counsel. If you receive counsel. The system is a farce, to be honest, they're way too overworked to give any single client a proper defense.

One of my best old friends is a public defender. Per him, when you fill out the form affirming that you don't have enough money to hire a lawyer, you're consenting to have the state pay for your lawyer (public defender).

Also per him, the "give me a dollar, now I'm your lawyer" isn't the only way to invoke attorney-client privilege if it ever comes up in court, it's just much easier to prove someone is legally your counsel if you've paid them (yes, even if it's only a dollar).

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
It's pretty ironic that Scam expert Slippin' Jimmy is advising his brother against doing a huge convoluted "steamed hams" style plan. He pretty much says "be honest, she is a caring woman." Jimmy was right. In the court room, she showed nothing but understanding to Chuck. Who's not to say that she might not have been at least open minded to it. You look at Chuck nowadays and he has no problem exerting his "condition"

I can't remember where, but I heard or read recently that germophobia, is considered by some to be a sign of extreme narcissism. Chuck's condition is kind of similar. Although I always think about Tobias' nevernude disorder. "There are literally dozens of us out there! Dozens!"

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Lonos Oboe posted:

"steamed hams" style plan.

This should be a common expression.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chuck kinda reminds me of Forest Whitaker's character on The Shield. They're in the right but going to pay hard for obsessively going after someone that's much craftier and that knows how to hurt them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Chuck kinda reminds me of Forest Whitaker's character on The Shield. They're in the right but going to pay hard for obsessively going after someone that's much craftier and that knows how to hurt them.

Oh man... For anyone who enjoys the dynamic between Chuck and Jimmy, and hasn't seen The Shield, definitely check it out. Season 5 (where Forest Whitaker comes in) is so loving good. I mean, it gets to such an extreme, it's crazy. Not nearly as effective if you haven't watched up until then, of course, so I recommend against only watching season 5.

It really is a balls-out, everything's on fire version of Jimmy vs Chuck, except Jimmy and Chuck liked each other at one point. Not so for Vic and John.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

"Hey Chuck, Mesa Verde's pussy tastes like sweet buttah!"

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm ready for the second best night of TV of the week

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Half an hour until Better gently caress Chuck 2: The Fuckening.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Lonos Oboe posted:

It's pretty ironic that Scam expert Slippin' Jimmy is advising his brother against doing a huge convoluted "steamed hams" style plan. He pretty much says "be honest, she is a caring woman." Jimmy was right. In the court room, she showed nothing but understanding to Chuck. Who's not to say that she might not have been at least open minded to it. You look at Chuck nowadays and he has no problem exerting his "condition"

I can't remember where, but I heard or read recently that germophobia, is considered by some to be a sign of extreme narcissism. Chuck's condition is kind of similar. Although I always think about Tobias' nevernude disorder. "There are literally dozens of us out there! Dozens!"

A lot of food stuff can be cover for bigger issues.

I had a friend who's GF used complex obscure diet as a cover for her anorexia, claiming she'd eat later or ate earlier when invited to public stuff :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking forward to tonights episode, in the preview they say Saul Goodman.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God, watching this meltdown is great the second time too :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

God, watching this meltdown is great the second time too :allears:

HE DEFECATED INTO A SUN ROOF

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

HE DEFECATED INTO A SUN ROOF

#lifegoals

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Krazy 8, as I live and breathe

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I knew i recognized him but i forgot from where lol

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
wasn't the make it up next week convo in a previous episode?

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Regy Rusty posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, that is him isn't it?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Nacho looks really tired of this poo poo.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
God drat.

Poor Krazy 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Owwwwwwwwwww :gonk:

• Locked thread