Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

I am ... a biotic god

Wtf is Zenyatta doing in Andromeda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The worst thing about the new patch is it made a lot of idiots overconfident. So many level 5 <500 Apex dudes in silver now, they don't even use rockets or revives half the time :(

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I just got an Asari Huntress. Worth using if i don't have any good sniper rifles or shotguns?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mattock X is absolutely decent on Gold since The Buffening.

Per Reddit, next class is "Angara Exemplar", with Energy Drain, Overload, and Barricade. And a new passive called "Angara Trance".

Wonder if they'll get around to doing something to make Barricade more attractive? Right now, I would not put more than 1 point in it on any class that has it, and even maxed out it's way too situational for my tastes.

Maybe make it shock enemies for more damage, and have it shock by default even at rank 1?

wookieepelt posted:

I just got an Asari Huntress. Worth using if i don't have any good sniper rifles or shotguns?

She's a really weird class. You could max Throw with the new "Primes for a lot longer" evo, and self-combo with Lance.

Personally I specced her as a support class - I maxed Stealth Grid with all the teammate bonuses, and just run around keeping everyone constantly Cloaked and detonating combos.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Barricade feels like it was designed for ME3 before jetpacks became a thing.

But since there's no more hunkering down in spots to fight off waves of enemies, its only use is for two objective types. You can make it work for a shootmans character, but th fade out time on it is so long that you'll die before you can put the replacement down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, unless you're playing on Firebase Zero, aka "Firebase White 2" :j:

I'm seriously starting to hate that map. I imagine they'll "fix" it soon so that you can't just sit in the back and rack up kills nonstop.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Flipswitch posted:

I am ... a biotic god

I said, Experience loving TRANQUILITY

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Barricade feels like it was designed for ME3 before jetpacks became a thing.

But since there's no more hunkering down in spots to fight off waves of enemies, its only use is for two objective types. You can make it work for a shootmans character, but th fade out time on it is so long that you'll die before you can put the replacement down.

Not true. The 6a evolution gives you constantly regenerating shields, so on a human sentinel with enough shield regen speed buffs, you'll never really take more damage than you can regen, especially since you have Energy Drain.

The thing I like about Barricade, and why I always max it out (at least on the human Sentinel, haven't really played the Salarian Architect) is that I can fight safely anywhere on the map. Jetpacks and increased mobility are all good things, but they're almost always used defensively. Having Barricade means you can rely less on your mobility and just throw down in the middle of nowhere, whenever you want.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I mean I agree, but each faction has abilities that shoot through or over the barricade. If they make a Turian with Barricade then it will be the Bee's knees since their racial passives make them super durable behind cover.

Everyone else, you might as well just hug some cover instead of wasting precious skill points for something that really needs it's 6 evolution to be good.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I'd argue that it's far better than 'good' once you get its 6th evolution.

I mean yeah, using available cover is always an option, but Barricade is upgraded cover that gives you a bunch of buffs, that arguably gives you more benefits than maxing out Throw.

(Again, talking about human Sentinel. I think the Salarian Architect doesn't benefit as much from Barricade).

Also, what Turian racial passives are you talking about? Is there some kind of hidden race-based stat I didn't know about?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
One of the things I dislike about barricade is that it seems impossible to replace the expired barricade for a few seconds on PS4. You press the input but nothing happens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zakmonster posted:

Also, what Turian racial passives are you talking about? Is there some kind of hidden race-based stat I didn't know about?

They're probably referring to Defensive Positioning and Hold the Line, which as you imply aren't Turian-exclusive.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Oh, that's unfortunate. I was actually hoping that the different races had some different passive abilities. Like back in ME3 the races that couldn't dodge (Krogan, Turian, Batarian) were more resistant to stagger. Sure, it didn't work for like 6 months, but the intent was nice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

With three rounds and the massive damage buff, the Dhan is actually a decent weapon now. I dunno what to say.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So there's a fun new thing that pubbies do - on a couple maps (Magma and another one) there are places you can hide and literally never take damage. Had a guy doing that in a match (he had literally zero points too). Got on the mic and let everyone know they should kick him.

They kicked me instead. gently caress pubbies.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

So what was their plan if everyone else got ganked and he'd have to carry the wave on his own? :psyduck:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh. After being impressed by the Dhan, I got dropped on wave 6 of that current Silver challenge. All is back to right with the world.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So what was their plan if everyone else got ganked and he'd have to carry the wave on his own? :psyduck:

It actually gets funnier because when they kicked me, it was on wave 6 Upload, there was only one Upload left, and I was the only one doing it. And I wasn't the host so I know they weren't trying for a wave reset.

After I was kicked I immediately hammered the "find a match" button and got back into the same lobby - apparently they had failed (what a surprise). I asked why they kicked me and not him and they all just left.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zakmonster posted:

precision posted:

They're probably referring to Defensive Positioning and Hold the Line, which as you imply aren't Turian-exclusive.

My bad, I didn't notice Combat Fitness was shared with Human Soldiers because I never touched mine. Point still stands that Defensive Positioning and Hold the Line are great if you can get a barricade buddy.

Zakmonster posted:

Oh, that's unfortunate. I was actually hoping that the different races had some different passive abilities.

As far as I know the only 'literal' racial passives are hover times. Turians hover the longest while Krogans can't hover at all (They just slowly sink.)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And that's Human Soldier up to 20 :toot: I think I'll play with the Krogan Vanguard next; what's the go-to for him?
I think I got booted from a match on wave 6 because I was playing too well as the Human Soldier. Not my fault we were on a map with long narrow hallways for me to chuck grenades down and spray with Turbocharge fire :shrug: How dare I not occupy the bottommost rank, I guess.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've literally never been at the bottom of the scoreboard on a Human Soldier, unless I'm dicking around with a new weapon that I don't know so well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Getting real fuckin' sick of not having Duelist, Avenger, or Operator yet. :mad:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

precision posted:

Getting real fuckin' sick of not having Duelist, Avenger, or Operator yet. :mad:

Same but add kinitecist :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Remnant City MP map is cool as hell but that extraction is savage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm having a hell of a time getting the "Pull then Throw" thing to work on Kineticist. Is there some specific way to do it reliably? On PS4? You have to let go of the Pull button to use the Throw button (because of the stupid "both triggers at once" button) and half the time I go to Throw a Raider into a Hydra the Raider just falls down and I do a normal Throw.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

precision posted:

I'm having a hell of a time getting the "Pull then Throw" thing to work on Kineticist. Is there some specific way to do it reliably? On PS4? You have to let go of the Pull button to use the Throw button (because of the stupid "both triggers at once" button) and half the time I go to Throw a Raider into a Hydra the Raider just falls down and I do a normal Throw.

You should be able to keep holding the Pull button and tap the Throw button. You don't need to let go of the Pull button first. At least, it works that way for me.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How great is the Krogan Vanguard? Might give him a play because I've never actually played Vanguard in any of the mass effects, multiplayer included.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarern posted:

You should be able to keep holding the Pull button and tap the Throw button. You don't need to let go of the Pull button first. At least, it works that way for me.

The "Throw Button" is "the Pull button and also the Lance button". If I try holding the Pull button and then pressing the Lance button, she Lances.

Like I said, sometimes it works, but I have no idea what the loving criteria is.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

precision posted:

The "Throw Button" is "the Pull button and also the Lance button". If I try holding the Pull button and then pressing the Lance button, she Lances.

Like I said, sometimes it works, but I have no idea what the loving criteria is.

Control settings and scroll all the way down to sustained power controls, switch to toggle.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

How great is the Krogan Vanguard? Might give him a play because I've never actually played Vanguard in any of the mass effects, multiplayer included.

He's a tour de force in silver, but his health and shields are far less than the Merc or Gladiator. Even more depressing is Krogan melee animations took a big hit in this game compared to three, there's more animation-locktime and no option between light or heavy melee.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rascyc posted:

Control settings and scroll all the way down to sustained power controls, switch to toggle.

holy poo poo

wait but then how does the game know if you want to lift-Pull or hold-Pull since both would be done by tapping the button?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

precision posted:

holy poo poo

wait but then how does the game know if you want to lift-Pull or hold-Pull since both would be done by tapping the button?

That setting doesn't work for Pull. You still have to hold the button to hold something and releasing will drop it. On controllers you have to release the Pull button and quickly press the Throw button and it should still work. The toggle setting does work for other channeled abilities like Flamethrower and Cryo Beam though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having Flamethrower on a toggle will definitely make Turian Agent even more fun. "Set it and forget it".

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
drat I'm sorry, I thought it worked with pull too.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Holy poo poo the human soldier with the Soned is a thing of beauty.

Bullets and body parts everywhere.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

precision posted:

So there's a fun new thing that pubbies do - on a couple maps (Magma and another one) there are places you can hide and literally never take damage. Had a guy doing that in a match (he had literally zero points too). Got on the mic and let everyone know they should kick him.

They kicked me instead. gently caress pubbies.

I had a group of pubbies chew me out on their mics because I wasn't camping in the back with them on firebase zero. After a little while I muted all of them and continued to chill up at the top of the tower in the middle of the map and they kicked me for it.

loving pubbies indeed.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If you all camp in that little corner the map turns into a shooting gallery. An intensely boring shooting gallery.

Forget about fun, you were messing up their credits per hour! :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What gets me is that since The Buffening you don't need to do Zero/Outlaw/Gold, and in fact it often takes longer than say Icebreaker/Remnant. Now that things do damage, it's much faster to move around the map in a pack or groups of two and just murder poo poo. The first 2 waves of a Gold match routinely take less than 3 minutes (hell I've gone as low as 2 with a good group).

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

But but my cool assault turret :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got the N7 Angaran Avenger guy.

How should I be playing him? His skillset looks pretty unique.

• Locked thread