Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

A Space Ghost CtC-style show with Aku hosting. The Scotsman is Moltar. Scaramouche is Zorak.
Jack is Brak.

Scaramouche is dead! Murdered! Scotsman, serve the first course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rhonne posted:

Best part of the episode was Aku instantly blowing up Scaramouche

Actually I kinda saw this as Scaramouche's head just blowing up on it's own.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gynovore posted:

Actually I kinda saw this as Scaramouche's head just blowing up on it's own.

Scaramouche was so shocked by Jack having his sword, his mind was blown. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hehe you guys spent 12 years begging for this show to get a "proper ending" and the ending is going to suck.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pick posted:

hehe you guys spent 12 years begging for this show to get a "proper ending" and the ending is going to suck.

:shrug: I'm still enjoying things.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Covok posted:

Same.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The romance feels shoehorned regardless of plot or purpose, but then I was never that tremendously invested in Samurai Jack to begin with. I'm still having fun watching.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The first three episodes alone are probably one of the greatest pinnacles of television animation so I'm pretty happy with the series no matter how it ends.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's funny if you think of how well-regarded the season would be if the first episodes weren't so great

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
i always really liked how different jack looks when he has long hair, both in the original and in the new one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The first three episodes alone are probably one of the greatest pinnacles of television animation so I'm pretty happy with the series no matter how it ends.

This, pretty much. If I had to wade through a little over three hours of Eh for that hour of gold, I'd gladly chance the odds.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Romance? Not in MY future samurai cartoon!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm one of the people who hates how much Ashi was turned into shallow fanservice. I still think that the first three episodes are worthy of being called great television and animation. What a difference that good plot editing, timing, pacing, etc., can make.

I was expecting more Sad Beard Jack for the majority of the show. The first three episodes had a much different direction than what happened after.

Looking forward to what happens as a finale.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I've mentioned it before in conversation, but the longer this season's gone on, the more Ashi strikes a major Mary Sue vibe in my mind.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

I even liked episode 8. Dick/sex jokes are, and will remain, funny.

*audible gasps arise from crowd*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
she's a mary sue, said someone who has no clue what that means

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Another thing to consider; Ashi is NOT the only daughter of Aku. The Grand Priestess had seven daughters, not just one. So even if Jack is faced with a "kill Ashi, or a little bit of Aku will always live on", he still can't destroy Aku completely. Even if he were to cut down Ashi, there would still be 6 other scraps of Aku living on (I'm assuming THOSE weren't killed as well). So if this conflict is resolved, it's probably not going to be with Ashi's death; otherwise, we'd have a pretty major plothole.

Just something to consider.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 16, 2017

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Show took a complete 180 after Aku showed up and now I'm excited for the finale. Overall, I think the show has been great. There are some rough spots, but it's of comparable quality to the original series and I don't see how fans can be disappointed. Only episode 8 was truly bad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Fionordequester posted:

Another thing to consider; Ashi is NOT the only daughter of Aku. The Grand Priestess had seven daughters, not just one. So even if Jack is faced with a "kill Ashi, or a little bit of Aku will always live on", he still can't destroy Aku completely. Even if he were to cut down Ashi, there would still be 6 other scraps of Aku living on (I'm assuming THOSE weren't killed as well). So if this conflict is resolved, it's probably not going to be with Ashi's death; otherwise, we'd have a pretty major plothole.

I think there are a lot of bits of Aku floating around. Like, in the original episode, the one with those seven robot assassins? Aku powered them by pouring a bit of himself into them. Maybe he powered Scaramouche the same way, because when Jack chopped him in half in E1, some black goop cam out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gynovore posted:

I think there are a lot of bits of Aku floating around. Like, in the original episode, the one with those seven robot assassins? Aku powered them by pouring a bit of himself into them. Maybe he powered Scaramouche the same way, because when Jack chopped him in half in E1, some black goop cam out.

Robots have been doing that season 1 so I think that's just oil.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anytime I see Ashi in profile all I see is Daisy Duck.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jack will beat Aku and then Ashi, being part Aku, will toss him back into the past with the remnants of Aku's power.

I need Jack to get back to the past. It's been a decade! Let the man go home!

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Someone can probably do a better job :effort:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Now I want Scaramouche's head as an avatar, the blinking bewbs are getting old.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fionordequester posted:

Another thing to consider; Ashi is NOT the only daughter of Aku. The Grand Priestess had seven daughters, not just one. So even if Jack is faced with a "kill Ashi, or a little bit of Aku will always live on", he still can't destroy Aku completely. Even if he were to cut down Ashi, there would still be 6 other scraps of Aku living on (I'm assuming THOSE weren't killed as well).

Uhhh maybe you wanna go back and revisit those earlier episodes?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
One was just tossed off from the same height that Jack and Ashi survived, another had the same fall after a punch that while presumably broke her neck could easily be retconned otherwise

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

raditts posted:

Uhhh maybe you wanna go back and revisit those earlier episodes?

Right, but I think he means since Jack 'killed' them without his sword, they might still potentially come back somehow in the finale... Though I think that's a long shot.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's kind of a shame Ashi was never given the chance to evaluate her sisters. There have to be some interesting questions floating around in her head, recognizing that they had hints of compassion beat from them and wondering if they might have had the same chance for a turnaround that she did. Seems like even after the fact, realizing how your hosed up childhood killed your sisters might result in some survivor's guilt.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Regalingualius posted:

Right, but I think he means since Jack 'killed' them without his sword, they might still potentially come back somehow in the finale... Though I think that's a long shot.

I got the feeling that Ashi's Aku part was only fully awakened when Aku brought it out. A nice detail is that they show Boss Ashi tearing and burning up from Jack's sword with the same effect Aku has when cut with it, when earlier she bled normally.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Das Boo posted:

It's kind of a shame Ashi was never given the chance to evaluate her sisters. There have to be some interesting questions floating around in her head, recognizing that they had hints of compassion beat from them and wondering if they might have had the same chance for a turnaround that she did. Seems like even after the fact, realizing how your hosed up childhood killed your sisters might result in some survivor's guilt.

Yeah I think there could of been more to explore if Ashi had time to think if what Jack did was actually the right thing. Kind of was expecting a "why me" conversation with Jack, and Jack having to face the fact that he might of did something wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Did you forget the part in the very next episode after he murderized the sisters when he hallucinated a bunch of birds calling him a murderer?

Das Boo posted:

I think the scenes of them as children were meant to imply that she was the only one of them that had such hints of compassion.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 16, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Das Boo posted:

That would require her to be an actual character, though.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Regalingualius posted:

Basically. They may or may not come back; but either way, they're never gonna be rid of Aku if killing the big man himself doesn't do the trick. If Ashi has to be slain as well, then it means they're NEVER truly going to be rid of him; because Jack would then have to go back to wherever he killed the sisters, and finish the job there. And that seems like it would be incredibly hard to do, even if we assume that those "pieces" have lied dormant all this time (which itself is a big assumption).

That's why I'm thinking the final episode isn't going to come down to killing Ashi. If anything, killing him will either be incredibly simple (Aku gets sliced to pieces and that's that), or almost impossible (meaning Jack and/or Ashi are going to have to find some other way of pacifying Aku)

mycot posted:

I got the feeling that Ashi's Aku part was only fully awakened when Aku brought it out. A nice detail is that they show Boss Ashi tearing and burning up from Jack's sword with the same effect Aku has when cut with it, when earlier she bled normally.

But it was still there regardless; how else would Aku have been able to smell himself?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 16, 2017

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its weird, Ashi did feel like such a fascinating, developed character in those earlier episodes and yet it all feels for nothing after episode 8. I still like her a lot and really hope she gets better, but now a lot of it feels wasted.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The best thing is that Ashi's entire existence can be attributed to Aku rewarding some weird-rear end cultists who called him to look at this sweet statue they made of him.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm starting to think the dog scientists aren't going to show up and save Jack

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

brocked posted:

I'm starting to think the dog scientists aren't going to show up and save Jack

It's been 50 years.

I'm sure they used all their scientist money to... buy a nice farm to live on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

raditts posted:

I think the scenes of them as children were meant to imply that she was the only one of them that had such hints of compassion.

I saw it differently, I guess. Stopping to help her when she slipped, their shared horror at one sister getting thrown across the room, stopping for Ashi's ladybug...

They was good kids! :saddowns:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PicklePants posted:

It's been 50 years.

I'm sure they used all their scientist money to... buy a nice farm to live on.

350 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I saw it differently, I guess. Stopping to help her when she slipped, their shared horror at one sister getting thrown across the room, stopping for Ashi's ladybug...

They was good kids! :saddowns:

Yeah. Even putting aside the fact that EVERYONE is capable of mercy and compassion (provided they're motivated, and have the right upbringing), you also have moments like this...

The daughters are enraged when one of their own gets thrown around (as children)

Ashi's sparring partner stops upon her request (mentioned by Das Boo)

One of the sisters try to help Ashi (as teenagers)

Takes the time to drag her out of cave, despite their next line of dialogue (as adults)

They're subtle moments, but they're still there.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 16, 2017

• Locked thread